Phuket Super Cheap truck crashes into reservoir: VIDEO

webfact

Phuket Super Cheap truck crashes into reservoir: VIDEO
Nattha Thepbamrung

PHUKET: -- A small delivery truck belonging to the Super Cheap store chain ran off the road this afternoon (October 22) after colliding with a pickup truck, and crashed into the Bangwad reservoir, flipping into its side.

Two Burmese in the truck were badly injured but the driver escaped with cuts and bruises. The truck also took out a power pole.

The driver of the pickup truck, Chanraem Kroiser, said that she was attempting a U-turn on Kathu Rd at about 1pm today when the Super Cheap truck hit her from behind, before careering off the road on the left side.

The Super Cheap driver, who gave his name as Angkor, said his vehicle was heavily laden. “The load was very heavy and when the pickup in front of me stopped, I couldn’t brake in time,” he said.

But Mrs Chanraem said he was simply driving too fast. “He came up very fast behind me. I put my turn light on before I slowed down to make the U-turn. I didn’t see the lorry brake at all.”

The two injured men, who were not named, were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-super-cheap-truck-crashes-into-reservoir-49279.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-22

Not particularly relevant the pick-up decided to do a random U-turn.

What is relevant is the stopping distance of the truck, whether it was over-loaded or not.

Interesting though, that the pick-up driver could see the truck did not brake.

Also interesting, the truck drivers' comment was "I couldn't brake in time". cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I do that u-turn at least once a day and I can say most people tend to put their indicator on just before / around D-Condo - largely to avoid this kind of thing. (not really commenting on the "facts" of this case)

Even doing this I sometimes have to brace myself as vehicles go past by a whisker. Cannot wait for the light to be working - although that only really brings the turn closer to a blind bend - better watch what I wish for sad.png .

Edited by Blindside

Also, any of the so-called drivers' quotes are suspect, since a lot is inevitably lost in the typically sloppy translations from Thai to English. One can only assume and guess--which we're pretty good at--when it comes to reading and believing any news reports in Thai media.

Not particularly relevant the pick-up decided to do a random U-turn.

What is relevant is the stopping distance of the truck, whether it was over-loaded or not.

Interesting though, that the pick-up driver could see the truck did not brake.

Also interesting, the truck drivers' comment was "I couldn't brake in time". cheesy.gif

The fact of overloading is a material fact; vehicles are not designed to be overweight and naturally that has an affect on their handling.

You might have noticed that many accidents involve overweight vehicles.

Who thought of the u-turn idea anyhow?

Slow moving traffic trying to merge with fast moving traffic = disaster.

if all the u-turns were properly closed in Thailand and drivers\ riders had to use the next light controlled intersection, the death rate would plummet

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 1

Who thought of the u-turn idea anyhow?

Slow moving traffic trying to merge with fast moving traffic = disaster.

if all the u-turns were properly closed in Thailand and drivers\ riders had to use the next light controlled intersection, the death rate would plummet

Probably stay the same as riders appearing in the fast lane unexpectedly after crossing the central reservation is a disaster also.

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10298;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Why did he drive the vehicle if he knew it was overweight,these people will never learn.

Because unfortunately there would be a 1000 blokes to take his place. If you have masses of illegal foreign labour , no corporate manslaughter laws , no fines imposed to put companies out of business for H and S offences , then this is what you get. The best places in Asia for Safety are the countries who have the least foreign labour , but they are far from perfect.

Edited by ExPratt

He obviously should have known if the vehicle was overweight then controllability would be an issue,,oh i almost forgot this is Thailand.

Oh, you almost forgot to mention also that the only complaints of an overloaded truck was from ThaiVisa posters speculating and bashing as usual. Heavily laden does not necessarily mean overloaded

the driver himself said the vehicle was heavily laden therefore this will affect controllability of the vehicle,believe me,ive been doing heavy haulage,abnormal loads,etc for 24 years now.

He obviously should have known if the vehicle was overweight then controllability would be an issue,,oh i almost forgot this is Thailand.

Oh, you almost forgot to mention also that the only complaints of an overloaded truck was from ThaiVisa posters speculating and bashing as usual. Heavily laden does not necessarily mean overloaded

the driver himself said the vehicle was heavily laden therefore this will affect controllability of the vehicle,believe me,ive been doing heavy haulage,abnormal loads,etc for 24 years now.

What Sviss Geez pointed out to you was that overloaded and heavily loaded are not the same. In the article it is mentioned heavily loaded, you mentioned overloaded, hence the remark.