Foreigners on buffaloes plow the way to restoring Thailand's public image

webfact

Foreigners on Buffaloes Plow the Way to Restoring Thailand’s Public Image
By Khaosod English
(Isaan Record)

14139712041413971227l.jpg
Local foreigners ride albino buffaloes as a part of this past weekend’s Foreigner Friendship Festival in Khon Kaen. [Photo: Isaan Record]

KHON KAEN - In an effort to restore Thailand’s image abroad after a May 22 military coup, a coalition of local organizations hosted its first Foreigner Friendship Festival last Sunday in front of Khon Kaen University’s Golden Jubilee Convention Hall.

The lighthearted event featured Isaan-themed activities such as buffalo riding, eel catching, displays of Thai boxing and sepak takraw.

According to organizers, the festival aimed to show that Khon Kaen is friendly toward foreigners and to provide foreigners with information from government offices and local businesses.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1413971204&section=17&typecate=no

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-10-22

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Thailand really this desperate , if so its all down hill, address the issues that affect Thailand or it will really suffer and not just short term. Start looking after the tourists or expect them to go elsewhere.

That's not the Thai way. It's listen to a proposal about a problem, then deal with something easier & cheaper.

Some pictures of foreigners smiling and handing over the keys of a Jet Ski to the friendly also smiling not smirking owner of the jet ski, trust me I am a Thai

Or Your hard earned retirements funds with the expat saying "I am a fellow foreigner we Farangs must stick together..".

Let's put some stoner falang on a Buffalo and lead him around. wai2.gifwai.gifblink.png

Thus, projecting an illusion of “Foreigner Friendship”.

“The idea for the festival originated in Bangkok tourism business circles”

“Only about 75 people attended the event, far short of the targeted 300.”

“The festival’s cost is estimated at around 200,000 baht”

Right. Another brilliant plan. clap2.gif

Clueless.

Perhaps, painting the Buffalo with Camouflage would have helped...

Although I just picked a single one quote I could have done with the most of quotes. Could you please tell me why you are so sarcastic? Why do not you guys try to appreciate sometimes what they do? I guess those farangs could jump on the buffaloes for free. Sure, you can have an elephant trip cheap, but it is not about it. Looking at the picture, both guys seem to enjoy the ride along with the guide. Additionally, the guide has a great charisma. Oh, yes, costs? Everything costs some coins today. If you take a cab, if you ride your motorcycle. Or do you only see "the gasoline costs" once you ride your bike or drive your car? What about the engines the spare parts? Will all those come for free?

Once again, try to appreciate things like this festival. Maybe it can bring people together, maybe it can also create a wonderful athmosphere. Maybe it helps to turn down prejudice against foreigners in some heads. Who knows? All these effects are long-term.

Anyway, I see it here (Seoul) that these events are extremely useful and yes, if there is a chance I try to contribute to it.

• Like 2