Thai Police to check on foreigners involved in marriage scam

webfact

Police to check on foreigners involved in marriage scam
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Khon Kaen Immigration Police yesterday asked for information from lawyer Worapan Benjaworakul about an alleged scam involving fake marriage registrations in Nong Bua Lamphu's Non Sang district in which some 600 Thai women's names were sold to foreign men for immigration purposes.

Police will check on the foreign men involved in Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum and Maha Sarakham provinces, Immigration Police inspector Pol Lt-Colonel Anan Thongsuk said.

Foreigners on a one-year marriage visa are normally required to report to the police every three months along with their spouses. However, Anan said these "married" men had not reported to police so far and the allegation might have some ground.

An accused former registrar claimed a female official at Tambon Non Sung Municipality had asked him to sign marriage certificates, after which she would give him Bt1,000 or Bt2,000.

He said the official claimed to have been contacted by a Bangkok woman who wanted a name list of Thai women for marriage registration to foreigners - and he later found out the official was paid Bt70,000 per case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-to-check-on-foreigners-involved-in-marriage-30246077.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-23

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Khon Kaen Immigration Police yesterday asked for information from lawyer Worapan Benjaworakul about an alleged scam involving fake marriage registrations in Nong Bua Lamphu's Non Sang district in which some 600 Thai women's names were sold to foreign men for immigration purposes.

Police will check on the foreign men involved in Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum and Maha Sarakham provinces, Immigration Police inspector Pol Lt-Colonel Anan Thongsuk said.

Foreigners on a one-year marriage visa are normally required to report to the police every three months along with their spouses. However, Anan said these "married" men had not reported to police so far and the allegation might have some ground.

An accused former registrar claimed a female official at Tambon Non Sung Municipality had asked him to sign marriage certificates, after which she would give him Bt1,000 or Bt2,000.

He said the official claimed to have been contacted by a Bangkok woman who wanted a name list of Thai women for marriage registration to foreigners - and he later found out the official was paid Bt70,000 per case.

.............Kind of says it all.............

• Like 1

"Foreigners on a one-year marriage visa are normally required to report to the police every three months along with their spouses."

No they are not ONLY the foreigner not the wife. Putting that aside as this is normal reporting by the Nation. Why would I believe the HEADING.

The Nation

Seeing that Pattaya , Phuket and apparently Chiang Mai Immigration can not issue single entry 90 day O-visa for conversion to retirement I have personally seen some very questionable marriage extensions..OH YEA Let the cavity search continue.whistling.gif

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 2

Lets hope they take this as a start and we see many fake marriages bought to light with the foreigner being run through the legal system and the Thai if innocent being let go.

There are a number of gay men I know of who are legally married to Thai women of negotiable virtue. These relationships are a sham and illegal!

• Like 1

What about the Thai women involved in the scam or is it all the foreigners fault?

Yep, since if they weren't here none of this would happen. The Thai women will not even be chased up and the official will get a promotion. Par for the course for most third world places.
  • Like 2

What about the Thai women involved in the scam or is it all the foreigners fault?

Yep, since if they weren't here none of this would happen. The Thai women will not even be chased up and the official will get a promotion. Par for the course for most third world places.

From what I recall from the original story, the women whose names were used in this scam were unaware of it.

The scam involved a Thai official using official register of sone sort or other and selling their names and details to this other Thai, who then used them to create fake certificates.

The case only came to light when one of those whose name was used reported it.

• Like 2

Lets hope they take this as a start and we see many fake marriages bought to light with the foreigner being run through the legal system and the Thai if innocent being let go.

There are a number of gay men I know of who are legally married to Thai women of negotiable virtue. These relationships are a sham and illegal!

Live and let live is what I say.

• Like 2

Sham marriages everywhere are used for immigration purposes and typically the target is the local person involved. not the foreigner. I hear that some of these women have had their identity stolen but at the Amphur there had to be a local involved. They should be the main target of the investigation ...

• Like 1

Sham marriages everywhere are used for immigration purposes and typically the target is the local person involved. not the foreigner. I hear that some of these women have had their identity stolen but at the Amphur there had to be a local involved. They should be the main target of the investigation ...

California in the 1980s is where it first became big business.

Of Course we all know the headline should say:

Thai Police to check on Thai women involved in marriage scam.

And we all know the Thai Police can / could work on the Thai end of things much easier....but when the word foreigner(s) is involved ...then dollar signs appear in the eyes of the police while they make a bee line to the foreigners...like a magnet that attaches itself to the money in a foreigners pocket.

Cheers

My missus tells me this was identity theft in a lot of cases, easily done at the Amphur level, it is thought many of the women did not realise they had been married.

Correct as stated.

yes this was stated in an earlier article. The women did not know until one tried to get married. that is what started the investagation.

Funny how whenever 'foreigner' is mentioned there is a collective clenching of butt cheeks by TVF members.

Doesn't it cross your minds that Africans, South Asians, Chinese etc are also classified as foreigners? In fact, I reckon George would garner at least double the members if he created a Chinese language version of TV.

But good...I do hope some farang trash is scooped up in this net and booted out.

• Like 1

I still feel this is not possible in the way it gets reported and Immigration must be in on this deal.

A foreigner that request an extension of stay due to marriage or even applies for a visa at at embassy overseas must either submit a copy of the ID card plus let the wife sign it.

Often Immigration will request that the wife follows for the interviews for extensions.

I would really like to know how can this be possible. It must be a deal with immigration, Amphur and some agencies/brokers in between.

I suspect that many of those foreign hubbies are none-Caucasians.

Agreed! They also must show pictures together at the family home and a copy of their ID. To get it for the 2nd year they needed 4photos of the family unit and i even think a copy of the thai house book from her. These can all be forged but without support from the related agencies it is difficult.
  • Like 1

That would get the a few peoples' backs up on here! Got to take the wife along with you to do your 90 days!

Ummm... If the marriage is legal how can you then call it illegal?

I personally believe all marriages are a sham, who needs a piece of paper to validate your relationship - not withstanding visa requirements, which are a scam sham.

• Like 1

I still feel this is not possible in the way it gets reported and Immigration must be in on this deal.

A foreigner that request an extension of stay due to marriage or even applies for a visa at at embassy overseas must either submit a copy of the ID card plus let the wife sign it.

Often Immigration will request that the wife follows for the interviews for extensions.

I would really like to know how can this be possible. It must be a deal with immigration, Amphur and some agencies/brokers in between.

I suspect that many of those foreign hubbies are none-Caucasians.

Agreed! They also must show pictures together at the family home and a copy of their ID. To get it for the 2nd year they needed 4photos of the family unit and i even think a copy of the thai house book from her. These can all be forged but without support from the related agencies it is difficult.

They even came here at the home to check it and interviewed a neighbor. So this only works if immigration is in on it or not doing its work well.

However this is normal anyone thinking that a news article about anything tells the full truth and full facts is delusional. Stories need to be short sexy and shocking.. better leave out the truth.. this goes for many stories.

I had a cop friend back in the old country who used to comment on the mistakes by the journalist made in the newspapers in cases he was involved in. Back there they also went for sexy stories.. not the truth.