"The Arrangement"

swissie

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tully , your friend isn't the norm. I'm 60 been here 2 yrs with one girl. If I'm still with her in 10 and either croak it or move on then I would prob give her a modest condo say 3 mill.

This means there would still be several properties in AU for my 2 sons.

Despite a few hard luck stories of people that do what your friend is doing.....they are the minority.

I was successful and astute enough before, I'm not about to get pu##y struck.

Soul mate ? ....give me a break is the friend a dill.

Like previous member if my gf complains she can nick off.

Its my way or the high way and that does not treat her as a lady, respect her and take good care of her. But them dah rules..... You friend sadly is a fool.

have to agree that buying a house like tully's friend is a bit silly but I bought my girl a house. I have found to rent property expensive in Thailand in resect to what the property is worth. so I bought a house by getting a mortgage in my girls name and paying the deposit. the cost difference between what I would be paying to rent against mortgage payments worked out that after 3 years I would break even. that was 3 years ago so in theory it has cost me nothing. if I have any problems I am quite happy to leave as I believe never buy anything in Thailand that you can not walk away from

I have found to rent property expensive in Thailand in resect to what the property is worth.

You must be about the first person I have ever heard say this about property in Thailand, it must be one of the cheapest places for value for money.

Where were you renting in Thailand that made it so expensive?

what I would be paying to rent against mortgage payments worked out that after 3 years I would break even.

That sort of return sounds almost unbelivable.

Lets assume purchase price of 3 million, that would work out at 1 million baht per year rent or 80k baht per month.

I know of nowhere in Thailand with that sort of return, please let me know where this was?

Using your figures, the property was being rented for a monthly cost of 1/36 the of the properteys value, if you are lucky, you may get 1/100th, the usual is 1/200th.

For some older guys, they may never reach the point where the purchase will be cheaper than renting.

Plenty of houses available in Issan for about 5k per month.

Heck in Bkk its possible to rent houses for under 20k per month, the same houses sell for about 6 million baht.

I have seen single storey shophouses for rent in Rayong for 1,500 baht per month, Bkk townhouses for rent from 6-8 k per month, single storey houses from 10-12k per month.

Chan rent a house for 4k per month.

Rgs is correct. Not going to give big explanation here but happy to explain if anyone is thinking if buying.

The figures just don't stack up. The ratio rent/buy in Thailand just makes it crazy.

Of course other non material factors ....

I'm purely referring to net profit. But this us away from op.

Tully , your friend isn't the norm. I'm 60 been here 2 yrs with one girl. If I'm still with her in 10 and either croak it or move on then I would prob give her a modest condo say 3 mill.

Despite a few hard luck stories of people that do what your friend is doing.....they are the minority.

Its my way or the high way and that does not treat her as a lady, respect her and take good care of her. But them dah rules..... You friend sadly is a fool.

have to agree that buying a house like tully's friend is a bit silly but I bought my girl a house. I have found to rent property expensive in Thailand in resect to what the property is worth. so I bought a house by getting a mortgage in my girls name and paying the deposit. the cost difference between what I would be paying to rent against mortgage payments worked out that after 3 years I would break even. that was 3 years ago so in theory it has cost me nothing. if I have any problems I am quite happy to leave as I believe never buy anything in Thailand that you can not walk away from

I have found to rent property expensive in Thailand in resect to what the property is worth.

You must be about the first person I have ever heard say this about property in Thailand, it must be one of the cheapest places for value for money.

Where were you renting in Thailand that made it so expensive?

what I would be paying to rent against mortgage payments worked out that after 3 years I would break even.

That sort of return sounds almost unbelivable.

Lets assume purchase price of 3 million, that would work out at 1 million baht per year rent or 80k baht per month.

I know of nowhere in Thailand with that sort of return, please let me know where this was?

Using your figures, the property was being rented for a monthly cost of 1/36 the of the properteys value, if you are lucky, you may get 1/100th, the usual is 1/200th.

For some older guys, they may never reach the point where the purchase will be cheaper than renting.

Plenty of houses available in Issan for about 5k per month.

Heck in Bkk its possible to rent houses for under 20k per month, the same houses sell for about 6 million baht.

I have seen single storey shophouses for rent in Rayong for 1,500 baht per month, Bkk townhouses for rent from 6-8 k per month, single storey houses from 10-12k per month.

Chan rent a house for 4k per month.

The house is 3 bedrooms 2 bth rooms lounge dinning room and kitchen area on a single level, Kitchen had not been fitted out when I bought it. The house is brick. Tiled roof and the area is 110 sqmtr. It is located 8km from khon kaen on a 750 sqmtr block. The cost was 850000 thb of which I payed 150000thb deposit. The mortgage payment is 5500 thb a month which is above the min required. I have rented houses in issan for 5000 thb a month, this one is twice the size and western styling, plus I am far enough away from the neigbours to not hear them fart. I used an expected rental of 10000 thb a month as I believe that is what it is worth. It was purchased thru the bank as they had foreclosed on it and there is no way I would buy a house for 3 million baht

By break even I mean I would recoup my deposit as I would be paying rent no matter where I was living

my estimate for rent - mortgage payments x 36 = deposit payed

10000 -5500 x 36 = 162000 thb

Ps 4 years ago banks were down by the head with properties and were very keen to lower there stock

Well I will stack my credentials up against most.

Its just too long to explain in a forum. Also its not the OP.

Just one little thing to consider but there are so many.

For example the concept of "opportunity cost " ....many talk about ...oh I have 3million and if I buy couple of condos with say 50% equity .....then away they go with the simplistic rent per month vs loan repayments etc. Its rubbish.

First of all .... If that liquidity that they had went into say shares.....well then we can talk comparisons.

Not being a smart ass but my shares in cbus super went from 210k aud to 289kaud in last two years. My main investments are real estate in AU..... NOT the best option. Blue chip ones yes have better capital growth..... Why do I have them ??? Sort of stuck with them as I was in small residential subdivisions. Commercial stuff different story.

Oh by the way property investment is by far a better option in AU than Thailand. Anyway others will have different take on it.

By the way I may buy a condo here for the non intrinsic reasons will are prone to. Not the best investment but not a disaster either.

• Like 1

Well I will stack my credentials up against most.

Its just too long to explain in a forum. Also its not the OP.

Just one little thing to consider but there are so many.

For example the concept of "opportunity cost " ....many talk about ...oh I have 3million and if I buy couple of condos with say 50% equity .....then away they go with the simplistic rent per month vs loan repayments etc. Its rubbish.

First of all .... If that liquidity that they had went into say shares.....well then we can talk comparisons.

Not being a smart ass but my shares in cbus super went from 210k aud to 289kaud in last two years. My main investments are real estate in AU..... NOT the best option. Blue chip ones yes have better capital growth..... Why do I have them ??? Sort of stuck with them as I was in small residential subdivisions. Commercial stuff different story.

Oh by the way property investment is by far a better option in AU than Thailand. Anyway others will have different take on it.

By the way I may buy a condo here for the non intrinsic reasons will are prone to. Not the best investment but not a disaster either.

In my years of living here, there are two things I have observed, if you cant afford to retire in farangland, you probably shouldnt be here.

If you have to off load assets in farangland to finance your stay here, you definitely shouldnt be here.

Keep the house back home, rent it out and use the income to rent a place here, its a plan A at least if it goes tits up here.

As for investing in Thailand, check out the SET over the last 15 years, now compare with property here, its a no brainer.

Check out the posts on here from cash strapped farangs that dont have the money to pay medical expenses, its all thaied up in property in someone elses name, W T F?

Mate you are preaching to the converted, but as usual they wont listen, they all believe, their girl is different.

I don`t think it`s as rare as you think to be perfectly honest. Most of the old guys I`ve met in Issan living in these huge houses have funded it by selling their own back home. Basically their one and only valuable asset (usually 10+ million for UK expats) is transferred into the name of their new Thai wife and their kids at home are deprived of it. If you had the sense not to do it (easier when you have a portfolio of property to be fair) then good on you but i`m not so sure the majority are as canny.

You friend sadly is a fool.

Agreed.

I find it funny how many people talk about losing their house to their Thai wives or girl friends, but how many out there have lost a house to your farang wife?

Underlines how they have learnt nothing. Its simple arithmetic...... Buy someone a home in their name does not equal equity divided by 2..... Rather equity minus equity equals zero. ....Some people are the lovers of the world....the trusting type. ...code for them at very best is gullible.

I wonder how many men posting on this forum, have never lost a house to a woman they loved?

Losing your home to a woman, isn't exclusive to Thailand.

Most men I know have lost one or more houses to a woman in their life time.

The younger men still have time to lose one.

It's just the way life is (for men).

• Like 1

The OP and perhaps others see Thai women as objects to be used occasionally but too dangerous to get close too.
They think this is the smart thing to do but sadly it condems them to a loveless existence. I know some farang with similar views which for some reason they love sharing with everyone. They think they are doing people a favour warning them that love is impossible in Thailand.
All of them are miserable people. They say they envy me my 16 years of happy marriage but insist it is 1 in a million and I was just lucky. I tell them sure I am lucky but You must open up to the possibility that not all Thai women are the same in order to get lucky.
Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all. Not sure who said that but it sure has been true for me smile.png

I object to 'farang', I object to 'Thai woman'.

No need for racism in a thread that applies equally to men and women of all races and nationalities the world over.

• Like 1

The OP and perhaps others see Thai women as objects to be used occasionally but too dangerous to get close too.
They think this is the smart thing to do but sadly it condems them to a loveless existence. I know some farang with similar views which for some reason they love sharing with everyone. They think they are doing people a favour warning them that love is impossible in Thailand.
All of them are miserable people. They say they envy me my 16 years of happy marriage but insist it is 1 in a million and I was just lucky. I tell them sure I am lucky but You must open up to the possibility that not all Thai women are the same in order to get lucky.
Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all. Not sure who said that but it sure has been true for me smile.png

No need for racism in a thread that applies equally to men and women of all races and nationalities the world over.

You made me laugh so gave you a "like" but why the sensitivity?

Bit tricky not using those words when the thread is all about men of european ethnicity coming to Thailand and falling in love with local women. Is that better for you?

Bit tricky not using those words when the thread is all about men of european ethnicity coming to Thailand and falling in love with local women. Is that better for you?

I'm not a man of european ethnicity, and neither are any of my neighbours.

Yet we all have the same problems with women (local or otherwise).

Why restrict the thread to 'white boys'?

I'm not a man of european ethnicity, and neither are any of my neighbours.

Yet we all have the same problems with women (local or otherwise).

Why restrict the thread to 'white boys'?

Because that is what the OP was about and I was replying to it.

No offence to you but you are very touchy. What on earth do you find racist in "thai women" or farang?

If you want a discussion about other people start one but there is no need to take offence at this one just because you are not included in it. That's just being childish.

Edited by somo

Yet another American showing sensitivity. I believe in the adage when in Rome.....

Every Thai person uses the expression farang probably every day. The term is not racist.

Agreed and on the scale of things, there are far more serious things to worry about here in LOS. Edited by DILLIGAD
  • Like 2

If you want a discussion about other people start one but there is no need to take offence at this one just because you are not included in it.

Just to point out TV is a forum for English speaking people, not a forum for white foreigners.

Indeed, That is why you are a Farang and not a chocolate man.

Now, the Thais don't consider that racist either - merely descriptive.

Is this so called "happiness" for us all? This link can give some ideas to answer that.

http://gam-legalalliance.com/services/family-law/divorce-statistics-in-thailand/

What a load of cr4p!

Are you normally sucked in by marketing ?

Is this article a lot og c.... too? It's a little bit old, but I think the principle is the same.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3907581.stm

No, Norland.......... that one is right on the money. Some perfect examples of "the arrangement" - you take care of me and I will look after you (and you can look after your family).

Has no relevance to divorce stats though.

Edited by Jip99

All threads will sooner or later die a "natural dead". As the OP, I can only congratulate the Farangs that have been in in a long term and still functioning relationship with a Thai-Lady.

Still I remain: LT relationships are based on a spoken or unspoken "Arrangement". Thai culture allows for "Arrangements". (A provider enters the scene and receives other benefits in return.)

Love? (As we understand it?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= A popular Farang-Columnist once asked his Thai-Wife of 10 years "Do you love me?" Her answer:

" You provide for me and the family for 10 years with food, clothing, and shelter. Of course I love you, why you ask?"

Arrangement/Love? You be the judge.

Cheers.

All threads will sooner or later die a "natural dead". As the OP, I can only congratulate the Farangs that have been in in a long term and still functioning relationship with a Thai-Lady.

Still I remain: LT relationships are based on a spoken or unspoken "Arrangement". Thai culture allows for "Arrangements". (A provider enters the scene and receives other benefits in return.)

Love? (As we understand it?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= A popular Farang-Columnist once asked his Thai-Wife of 10 years "Do you love me?" Her answer:

" You provide for me and the family for 10 years with food, clothing, and shelter. Of course I love you, why you ask?"

Arrangement/Love? You be the judge.

Cheers.

swissie now you are talking rubbish as usual. What you say is applicable around the world and not specific to Thailand. Chat to a girl back home and within 5 minutes she will be asking what you do for a living ie how much money have you got? All relationships are give and take based but you are clearly too scared to give in case you get burnt. That is sad.

You have a history of derogatory post about Thai women. Why is that? Once bitten twice shy is my guess but if I am wrong then you are just regurgitating hearsay. Either way you are clearly one of the miserables I mentioned above.

You have said before that you don't live here but enjoy travelling so after a few visits to a few towns you feel able to announce to the world that all Thai women are a bunch of money grabbing so an so's. You previously were under the impression that all village girls had internet access so should sign up for dating websites rather than working in bars. For this you felt you could not respect any of them! You know very little about life here so please stop pretending you do.

• Like 1