ED Visa Vientiane Report

It does, I have 6 years left yet only 3 pages. On top of that, way back in 2010 when I was a 21 year old naive <deleted> I was with some English guy and he smoked yaba that night, at 5am he stormed into my room saying I had his passport which I did not, he punched a hole in the guesthouse wall and then took my passport. I followed him outside and it was around dawn. He punched me over a motorbike and people saw, some Aus guy knew my situation and took me to a hotel because he knew the police were going to arrive.

Anyway, my English friend threw my passport into the sea, 5 minutes later he felt guilty so jumped in and got it. Ever since my first stamps are blurred and always have been. The police did come, he had no yaba, smoked it all but had to pay a fine to the police and to the hotel, SOM NOM NA. I do need a new passport though, running out of room. I have read you just need to go to Bangkok if you are British?

ANYBODY INTERESTED IN THE SUBJECT MATTER OF ED VISA REPLY OR PM

I have read you just need to go to Bangkok if you are British?

I'm fairly sure that's no more and all applications for new passports have to be sent to London.

What the documents or the people... I know Thais treat paper and people the same so I would like to make sure haha...

Yea I can speak Thai really well and I was shouting things to my gf whilst in line so maybe he heard, but I swear 75% of it comes down to the immigration officer, try and g by instinct and choose someone who is either very relaxed or doesn't care much about their job

why on gods green earth would you speak Lao to a native thai employed by the thai consulate?

A "native Thai" working in Vientane is with all likeliness from Isaan, which language is very similar to Lao (and to Thai as well). Nothing wrong using one or another if not know what the other person prefers.

• Like 2

South Korea helps Thailand improve science and math education

Monk 213

Posted 2014-08-22 21:20:18

haha sorry I cannot stop laughing, the headline alone is too much! ayyyy lmao!! Seriously, help from SK, I know they need it but to make it so public... hahaha wow this has made my night complete. Thank f*#^ I am leaving this place soon

Just a little question .

Are you really being truthful about your visa experience Monk 123 ?

Seems as you recently stated elsewhere you were in very expletive thankful comment ''so glad to be leaving this place soon.''whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee

I guess what the OP got was a single-entry non-ED visa.

Yep like old times, single entry and now I have 1 year of just reporting to my local immigration every 3 months

I thought you were leaving for good?

I am a genuine student haha... I can choose what classes to learn and I have chosen speak 1-8 mainly before reading or writing, I have dabbled in them more recently and realise that the more you learn to read the more you understand how to speak as well, the structure of sentences etc.

There are a few personal reasons why I am staying in Thailand, I miss Laos and you can feel the difference in the atmosphere, the culture here in Thailand is just more intense, more strung out and money fueled. The land of smiles is a land of mainly grimaces and fakes smiles, whereas in Laos people will smile at you in a genuine way and be happy to just talk with you even if you are not a customer. If I could, I would live there and maybe in the near future I will do.

why on gods green earth would you speak Lao to a native thai employed by the thai consulate?
In Vientiane at the consulate they are not Thais, they are also wearing Laos uniforms and even then, most locals in Vientiane speak Thai and Laos as it is near the border.

My last point about the differences I personally felt between the 2 countries is the police. The BiB are a certain way, we have all dealt with them from time to time and for me it has always been on the unpleasant side of things even if just slightly. However in Laos I did not see in 3 days any officer trying to stop people to get a fine, tracking down money on wheels or whatever. They were so laid back and respected each person as a person and not a baht sign!

But I hope people who have some issues or qualms about going to do their ED visa and take somnething from this. Next year I am going to ask my school if I can go back to Penang because that was so much easier, 20 people at most if I recall, not 300 or so.

Well, an interesting report, and I hope the genuine students such as yourself not affected by the ED visa abusers.

I can understand why you like Vientiane, not been for a couple of years, so its probably a bit more developed than when I was last there, but I did enjoy the place and found it fairly chilled out.

• Like 1

I guess what the OP got was a single-entry non-ED visa.

Yep like old times, single entry and now I have 1 year of just reporting to my local immigration every 3 months

This is not completely correct. You are not guaranteed extensions anymore. You have to apply for then and they can indeed be rejected for various reasons, or if immigration wants to make something up. Happened to a few students at my school.

I'm curious about your visa actually. I'm on my 3rd year of studying Thai and my school said I can switch to another language, but can't keep doing Thai. Maybe it depends on your school for how long you can study for?

Yea my school has a 5 year plan, if you are serious about learning Thai you should be fluent by then. However, from personal experience I find it really helps to hang around with Thais and speak Thai with Thai friends. Immerse yourself in the culture and language plus the lessons and it will all click into place. I don't even think what I have to say when I speak anymore.

So the Lao lady at the embassy was in fact not Thai, extremely rude to you yet you seem to love Lao people so much saying they are so much better than Thai. This is just one of many hypocrisies.

One person out of an entire city. She probably hates her job and I would probably have the same slapped ass face if I had to do what she did every day, but that is her decision I guess.

I can understand why you like Vientiane, not been for a couple of years, so its probably a bit more developed than when I was last there, but I did enjoy the place and found it fairly chilled out.

Yea it even has a dairy queen! But it is not as developed as most towns and cities in Thailand. It is hard to explain but the general atmosphere is just more relaxed, content and friendly. I felt totally safe there and did not see any incidents whatsoever, considering it the capital city that is quite something. Even my Thai girlfriend on the way home was saying to me how Lao people are more chilled and Thais in general are more strung out and care about money to a greater extent etc. I will be going back for sure, next time for longer and to explore elsewhere.

I traveled often to Vientianne around 2006-2010 when I first moved to Thailand and was under 50 years of age. I even managed to get a few tourist visas during the free period. Luckily, I was able to qualify for the retirement extension once I reached 50 and have not been subject to the crackdowns over the last few years. I always enjoyed visiting Laos and Vientianne specifically - I even travel back occasionally for a long weekend.

I think the biggest difference in Laos versus Thailand is there just isn't as much tourist influx of bodies and money - so there aren' many people who can make a living from tourists - either by legiitimate businesses or scams - however, Thailand has so many tourists in major areas like Bankok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui that some/many locals either set-up legitimate, honest businesses while others prey on unwitting tourists.

• Like 1

I'm curious about your visa actually. I'm on my 3rd year of studying Thai and my school said I can switch to another language, but can't keep doing Thai. Maybe it depends on your school for how long you can study for?

Yea my school has a 5 year plan, if you are serious about learning Thai you should be fluent by then. However, from personal experience I find it really helps to hang around with Thais and speak Thai with Thai friends. Immerse yourself in the culture and language plus the lessons and it will all click into place. I don't even think what I have to say when I speak anymore.

So the Lao lady at the embassy was in fact not Thai, extremely rude to you yet you seem to love Lao people so much saying they are so much better than Thai. This is just one of many hypocrisies.

One person out of an entire city. She probably hates her job and I would probably have the same slapped ass face if I had to do what she did every day, but that is her decision I guess.

Yea it even has a dairy queen! But it is not as developed as most towns and cities in Thailand. It is hard to explain but the general atmosphere is just more relaxed, content and friendly. I felt totally safe there and did not see any incidents whatsoever, considering it the capital city that is quite something. Even my Thai girlfriend on the way home was saying to me how Lao people are more chilled and Thais in general are more strung out and care about money to a greater extent etc. I will be going back for sure, next time for longer and to explore elsewhere.

I agree with you !

Vientianee is fine,

and i had a lot of fun on day market,

never felt I were cheated, even i dont speak Lao-Thai;

relaxed to seat on a bar near the river, enjoy your beer,

without disturbed by sex girls or whatever;

• Like 1

I agree with you !

Vientianee is fine,

and i had a lot of fun on day market,

never felt I were cheated, even i dont speak Lao-Thai;

relaxed to seat on a bar near the river, enjoy your beer,

without disturbed by sex girls or whatever;

Exactly this, I know it is broken English but I understand. I live in Hua Hin and even here there is a red light district, walk down there day or night and expect to fend off women every other minute. I remember in Phuket when I visited there, I walked along the beach front and literally every minute someone tried selling me something, so in the end I emptied my wallet and just showed them a wallet with no money in it but that was still annoying.

KED hit the nail on the head, less tourism = less greed, corruption and loss of culture. I HATE Bangkok because how hectic and crazy it is, I hate Pattaya and Phuket because of how touristy they are, and I am only 26, so I should be out partying right? I partyed hard from age 16-20 back home and these days prefer a quiet drink and meal with close people. In Vientiane i never once worried about who was walking down some side street, never worried about being cheated by a taxi driver or whatever, and never worried about much at all to be honest. Lovely city with generally lovely people who keep to themselves, even the sellers at the night market with the red umbrellas, they were so kind and fun to talk to. Oh yeah, have to mention beer Lao, that stuff kicks ass of any mainstream Thai beer by far. Also the food, I love geng keo wann and I had the same dish at the same place 3 nights in a row because I have never tasted geng keo wann like that, it was the tastiest I have ever had, sep sep! I also went to an expensive Italian place for pizza and at the centre point with the fountain, I had the best tasting steak I have had in Asia easily. Attaching some relevant photos.

post-216306-0-87761800-1414164385_thumb.

post-216306-0-26792600-1414164411_thumb.

post-216306-0-16247800-1414164439_thumb.

post-216306-0-43460000-1414164464_thumb.

post-216306-0-18618600-1414164490_thumb.

post-216306-0-69119700-1414164534_thumb.

• Like 1

Great report indeed.

Just one remark about tuk-tuk fares. You can pay much less than you did (maybe apart from your last ride to go back to the airport).

I live in Udon Thani province, so, I usually cross the border at the Friendship Bridge. From the Friendship Bridge to the consular section of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane, I usually pay from 50 up to 80 baht depending on the number of people traveling with me if the vehicle is a tuk-tuk (100 baht per person if it's a mini van or a private car with a/c).

From the Royal Thai Embassy to my hotel (I usually stay in the very center of the city), I never pay more than 60 baht (sometimes only 50) or 15000 kip (and even as low as 10000 kip depending on the number of passengers sharing the tuk-tuk). It's the same price from my hotel to the Royal Thai Embassy.

From the Royal Thai Embassy back to the Friendship Bridge, I very seldom use a tuk-tuk (it's quite easy then to find other people who want to share the ride in a more comfortable vehicle) and again, it's maximum 100 baht (or 25000 kip) per person within a mini van or a private car. I sometimes paid even less than this price (for instance, when a mini van has already more than 4 passengers and is about to depart).

The trick for getting a fair price for a tuk-tuk ride is to avoid tuk-tuk that are stopped and those that are in the immediate vicinity of the Royal Thai Embassy or of your hotel. Just walk a few meters away and to wait at the nearest road and soon you will probably see a tuk-tuk on the move with no or very few passengers. Just wave to the driver and tell him (or her) where you want to go and state your price (for instance 50 baht which is a reasonable fare for most ride within Vientiane). The driver will try to get a higher fare (80 baht), but if you keep being smiling, polite and firm, you will easily get your price or a slightly higher fare (60 baht).

Fathima restaurant on the promenade has excellent Indian food, and cheap, eat there every time I'm in Vientiane. That and easy access to bananas are my two favorite aspects of Vientiane.

If it had more nightlife options and metered taxis I might live there. There's the tourist track of bor pen yang, samlo, then @home, and a few clubs for locals like catwalk and romeo but apart from that it's a bit quiet. Dealing with tuktuks is pretty annoying, still beats Pattaya and Phuket, hate those too, but doesn't beat BKK. May consider living there and riding a scooter. Or there is one metered taxi company you can get the number for and book a cab through.

Edited by jspill

Great report indeed.

Just one remark about tuk-tuk fares. You can pay much less than you did (maybe apart from your last ride to go back to the airport).

I live in Udon Thani province, so, I usually cross the border at the Friendship Bridge. From the Friendship Bridge to the consular section of the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane, I usually pay from 50 up to 80 baht depending on the number of people traveling with me if the vehicle is a tuk-tuk (100 baht per person if it's a mini van or a private car with a/c).

From the Royal Thai Embassy to my hotel (I usually stay in the very center of the city), I never pay more than 60 baht (sometimes only 50) or 15000 kip (and even as low as 10000 kip depending on the number of passengers sharing the tuk-tuk). It's the same price from my hotel to the Royal Thai Embassy.

From the Royal Thai Embassy back to the Friendship Bridge, I very seldom use a tuk-tuk (it's quite easy then to find other people who want to share the ride in a more comfortable vehicle) and again, it's maximum 100 baht (or 25000 kip) per person within a mini van or a private car. I sometimes paid even less than this price (for instance, when a mini van has already more than 4 passengers and is about to depart).

The trick for getting a fair price for a tuk-tuk ride is to avoid tuk-tuk that are stopped and those that are in the immediate vicinity of the Royal Thai Embassy or of your hotel. Just walk a few meters away and to wait at the nearest road and soon you will probably see a tuk-tuk on the move with no or very few passengers. Just wave to the driver and tell him (or her) where you want to go and state your price (for instance 50 baht which is a reasonable fare for most ride within Vientiane). The driver will try to get a higher fare (80 baht), but if you keep being smiling, polite and firm, you will easily get your price or a slightly higher fare (60 baht).

Cheers for the info, I will keep that in mind next time. I normally haggle with sellers in Thailand but 200 baht to 50,000 kip for 2 people seemed fine to me so I did not question it. I tipped way too much as well at a restaurant, I had to get my head arund the baht to kip conversion and on the second day I tipped the place like 180 baht or something haha!

I had never been to Udon Thai and that is how I got back, I went to Dtalat Sao and got the bus over the bridge. jeez at Udon Tani when we got off we were pestered like crazy, I have been asked where am I going and do I want a taxi at a bus station before but this was insane. I had to pull my gf off of some taxi guy trying to grab her bag and ask where she was going.

Fathima restaurant on the promenade has excellent Indian food, and cheap, eat there every time I'm in Vientiane. That and easy access to bananas are my two favorite aspects of Vientiane.

If it had more nightlife options and metered taxis I might live there. There's the tourist track of bor pen yang, samlo, then @home, and a few clubs for locals like catwalk and romeo but apart from that it's a bit quiet. Dealing with tuktuks is pretty annoying, still beats Pattaya and Phuket, hate those too, but doesn't beat BKK. May consider living there and riding a scooter. Or there is one metered taxi company you can get the number for and book a cab through.

I love Indian food and spotted 2 places and forget the names, one was on the same road to the market, a cheapish place and the other was an inside restaurant with wifi and all the works, the menu was ok too, around 50,000 kip for most curries. Yet we went for the Italian that night.

I would never live in Bangkok unless I was paid too. I hate that place so much, it is just too dirty, big, hectic and crazy. London I can handle but Bangkok I cannot. I would probably have to live in Lumphini Park or something to find solitude.

In Hua Hin I have my own bike, well I did I had a Honda wave that was stolen a few months ago, now I just rent one. I was contemplate renting on in Vientiane but as I am from England and being in Thailand for several years, I have never ridden on the right hand side of the road, so I would probably get into some incidents.

One last thing, the police. It seems the police in Laos are NOTHING like they are here, sure I bet they are corrupt but I think they are not so souless and negative towards foreigners. I did not even encounter one in person, I just saw them from time to time chilling or doing their thing. Like I said for a capital city in 3 days I did not see 1 arrest, 1 accident, 1 traffic stop nothing...

More relevant pics

post-216306-0-84895000-1414167493_thumb.

post-216306-0-90514100-1414167557_thumb.

post-216306-0-94135200-1414167584_thumb.

post-216306-0-59171200-1414167621_thumb.

If you need new passport - you have to make appointment by email at the Trendy Building Sukhamvit Soi 13 near Nana BTS in bangkok - this is at least a month waiting for appointment- then you go there and if all documents ok expect 6-9 weeks for your new passport to arrive and you go back to bangkok to collect it