British police arrive in Thailand to observe Koh Tao murder probe

webfact

they can do nothing but look on,the police will not take any interest in what they say,it is Thailand not England.they will have a nice holiday and fill in a expense report at the end.

Back to what I posted about a very full briefing earlier.

They would have been briefed before they left and I sincerely hope the Embassy also warned them about not enjoying Bkk too much because if they slip up in any way off duty the BIB / govt will happily make sure it's aired through the Thai media to discredit their presence especially if they ask awkward questions.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope (but doubt) that the British police have a good idea how things work here, and know how not to be taken for fools.

Indeed, it'd help immensely if they know Thai, have done time here and can move beyond greng jai/niceties. Having kindergarten experience would also be hugely beneficial.

I disagree with this, I think its better they are not polluted in any way by the Thai BS. Better they come here with a job to do and have a local translator to assist.

I want to see them apply British standards of investigation and Western thinking to this case, I also don't want them to worry about who they upset with they will see as sensible questions and challenges but the Thais will see as yet another stupid loss of face.

Anyway, lets see what happens, hope the truth comes out.

• Like 2

I just hope (but doubt) that the British police have a good idea how things work here, and know how not to be taken for fools.

They wouldn't be fools,... They might not know first hand (yet) but they will have had a good brief, and it wouldn't take long for them to see it all "live and in colour"... they will learn quickly... and they will surely be "amazed"... TAKE A BREATH and GOOD LUCK ...!

Edited by TTom911
  • Like 1

I hope they arrived with their own interpreters and not reliable on ones provided by Police. They will also have to be careful as I imagine the police guys they work with will set up a good night out for them and behind the scenes have some ladies available so they can accuse them of ?????? If they start to get cockey, not Dick cockey, Ha.

The fact that police from a foreign country are in Thailand speaks volumes. Either procedural and data errors of this one case have obviously been so egregious and manipulated, or the accumulative reputation of the just-us privileged system in Thailand...perhaps both...have led up to invoking the need for a foreign presence to keep the tragedy honest; an unprecedented collective loss of face. When will Thai people stand up and hold officials accountable?

• Like 1

How much input will they be allowed?

If just observing then they might as well stayed at home.

As for setting up a police station well that horse as truly bolted but I suppose anything is better than the current set up.

Still the RTP reckon they have the guys and the DNA so innocent until proven guilty but if they are then throw the full weight of the courts at them

Here is a sentence from a National News Bureau of Thailand article dated October 23rd. “Regional Public Prosecution 8 deputy director-general Thawatchai Siangjaew said that “Thai police will be able to answer every doubt raised but no outside authorities can send their people to work on this case as Thai laws do not permit such a scenario”.

What a scam, it's theater, a show for the public, the Brits will not be allowed to work on the case.

Too many flaws even at public eye.! My hope that those with the expertise would have the freedom to piece this all. The loop holes of those allowed to leave the island, Those that the police have not taken DNA from... These should be looked into. Its a shame that the Police force is now thinking of setting up station. Why not before?

all the rackets involved, all the dont loose face policy holders on the island who wish to remain ghosts in this inquiry. I hope these are all exposed and the case be given top priority in justice. It has nothing to do with being Thai. It has a lot to do being a honest Human being and willing to face the facts that count.

• Like 1

I suspect there would have been a few British government employees who work out of the Embassy sent to Koh Tao the same day these murders happened.

The type of worker who patiently watches from the background and records what's going on without saying a word.

+1 you are spot on. The Germany Embassy too has police officers stationed permanently and follow up on suspicious deaths of German nationals in Thailand. They are also used to bring back Germans that have a warrant open to send them back to Germany to face the music.

• Like 2

I suspect there would have been a few British government employees who work out of the Embassy sent to Koh Tao the same day these murders happened.

The type of worker who patiently watches from the background and records what's going on without saying a word.

Yep, they're the ones, more than likely ex police / military employed as the records clerk or internal messenger boy carefully watching things other than what their job description outlines.

Knew a guy in the BKK embassy of xxx, ex military and supposedly involved with the computer system - didn't know much about computers but was certainly up to speed of the goings-on in this area - always had a feeling he was involved in a lot more than playing with computers.

How much input will they be allowed?

If just observing then they might as well stayed at home.

As for setting up a police station well that horse as truly bolted but I suppose anything is better than the current set up.

Still the RTP reckon they have the guys and the DNA so innocent until proven guilty but if they are then throw the full weight of the courts at them

Here is a sentence from a National News Bureau of Thailand article dated October 23rd. “Regional Public Prosecution 8 deputy director-general Thawatchai Siangjaew said that “Thai police will be able to answer every doubt raised but no outside authorities can send their people to work on this case as Thai laws do not permit such a scenario”.

What a scam, it's theater, a show for the public, the Brits will not be allowed to work on the case.

it is not a scam

Chris Ware stood up for his friend, and gave a full briefing of what happened that night.

The full details of what Scotland Yard detectives know, is everything we hoped for, and more.

So much so, that the word is, the Police general in charge, has recently gone on sick leave and his whereabouts are unknown

This case has blown wide open, and the people involved know it

Expect this to get bigger than any of the bad actors could have ever expected, and with it, international coverage of their arrests

Just curious, does that guy in the photo have a gimpy left arm? If so, much easier to identify.

could easily just be an injury from a fall

but, it is seemingly autonomic,

I hope they arrived with their own interpreters and not reliable on ones provided by Police. They will also have to be careful as I imagine the police guys they work with will set up a good night out for them and behind the scenes have some ladies available so they can accuse them of ?????? If they start to get cockey, not Dick cockey, Ha.

Come now- do you really expect them to pre-order a bent translator from the BIB and request special treatment during any official or un-official outings -- that would be described as a real cock-up.

Edited by Artisi

Let's hope the Embassy gave them a very full briefing on what to expect here, what they will be up against and what they MAY be allowed to do / see and most especially what is NOT going to happen.

If this all becomes a waste of time, barely going through the motions, I hope on their return home they are permitted to speak out fully on what did or did not happen. It's too important to have to observe diplomatic niceties so as not to upset Thailand.

You seem to think they are wasting their time here because Thailand is a very important country in the international community/

I don't think so... I would go as far as to say that Thailand has totally pissed the UK off, and the government are under pressure there, and will be put under even more 'uncomfortable' pressure by media and the British public to do something about Thailand.

Thailand is an insignificant sex tourism and hedonist destination. It is of no significant strategic diplomatic importance.

Thailand don't give any assistance to this contingent, it is just going to make more negative press and much more noise than before the offer was made for them to be allowed to come.

Diplomatic niceties my backside.

With regards to the popularity of this case. This case is akin to the Maddie McCann case but with the difference of having loads of evidence screaming out that is being very noticably ignored. This is NOT going to go away and is just going to get worse for Cameron and Thailand.

Cameron wants this wrapped up properly and legally. There is an election next year and he is already up against the wall. If he fails with this, that can be the end of him.

You don't seem to be very well up on the ways of the world, diplomacy or reality.

• Like 2