British police arrive in Thailand to observe Koh Tao murder probe

webfact

You can link that no problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/05/burma-thailand-britons-murder-investigation

The Foreign Office in London has called in a Thai diplomat to discuss concerns that police might have sought an easy solution to the crime to avoid harming the country’s tourism industry.

I am not sure (based on its placement within the article) that this refers to a recent development. I think it may just be reiterating the summoning of the acting Thai Chargé d'Affaires that took place before the police visit.

Edited by BritTim

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can link that no problem.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/05/burma-thailand-britons-murder-investigation

The Foreign Office in London has called in a Thai diplomat to discuss concerns that police might have sought an easy solution to the crime to avoid harming the country’s tourism industry.

I am not sure (based on its placement within the article) that this refers to a recent development. I think it may just be reiterating the summoning of the acting Thai Chargé d'Affaires that took place before the police visit.

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe as Tony B has been to meet the General this week, he will be using his obvious skills to assist the Thai Police in creating the right 'documents' and make their case for a prosecution.

Once Prime Minister of Britain, now peddling public relations advice to assorted military dictators around the globe. It might make him a few bob, but looked at squarely, it's a shameful descent really.

Pity. Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow...

The brit police could have at least said good bye.

Talk about rude. Everyone was so excited. The brits are coming yahoo.

We all had such high expectations.

They came and went like a silent fart.

Have you a reliable source that confirms their return to the UK (or their continued presence in Thailand)? My default assumption is that they are still observing.

And the British government is not going to say anything until the current case against the Burmese resolves one way or the other.

According to what you state, the Burmese could be found guilty first, and then sometime later the Brits could pipe up with evidence which counters the frame-up. Too bad for the Burmese 2.

The most glaring proof that Thai officials are doing a frame-up/cover-up (if any more examples were needed) is their announcement that they wouldn't share the DNA typing (of the man who should be the #1 suspect) with the Brit 'observers' for some soggy reason like 'The British have full confidence in how were administering the investigation, so they don't need to see the DNA results.'

Even those who stand 100% alongside the police (like JD and JTJ) have to take a step back and think, "whoa, the Brits have been on the shortest leash possible, with observer status, yet Thai officials WON'T EVEN SHARE DNA DATA with them"

If that doesn't scream 'COVER-UP!' ....I don't know what does.

If the British Foreign Office has called a Thai embassy rep (ambassador?) in for a private meeting, it's probably their way of trying to make as small a mess as possible.

If Brit authorities have the true DNA typing (2 or 3 results) from Hannah, then the Brits have one or two basic choices, if it's shown that Thai authorities are lying:

>>> expose Thai officials for conspiracy to nail scapegoats and shielding the real criminals,

or

>>> figure that maintaining decent diplomatic relations between the two countries is more important than rocking the ship of Thai officialdom all the way up to the self-appointed PM ....and stuff the findings.

Taking the 2nd stand would be paramount to being complicit in the cover-up/frame-up and shielding the headman's family. ....and would enable the real murderers/rapists to continue to party-hardy on the island. There are an endless slew of cute drunk floozy farang chicks showing up every week - happy hunting grounds for unscrupulous Thai men on the prowl.

Have you a reliable source that confirms their return to the UK (or their continued presence in Thailand)? My default assumption is that they are still observing.

don't want to assume anything about the UK's non investigation of a socalled investigation

but they likely left a long time ago wuth little fan fare, or, we would have seen more pictures of them,

additionally, the RTP closed the investigation, so, what were the gonna do there after that?

it seems the public outcry and the 100,000 signatures have gotten what there was to get

If the British Foreign Office has called a Thai embassy rep (ambassador?) in for a private meeting, it's probably their way of trying to make as small a mess as possible.

If Brit authorities have the true DNA typing (2 or 3 results) from Hannah, then the Brits have one or two basic choices, if it's shown that Thai authorities are lying:

>>> expose Thai officials for conspiracy to nail scapegoats and shielding the real criminals,

or

>>> figure that maintaining decent diplomatic relations between the two countries is more important than rocking the ship of Thai officialdom all the way up to the self-appointed PM ....and stuff the findings.

Taking the 2nd stand would be paramount to being complicit in the cover-up/frame-up and shielding the headman's family. ....and would enable the real murderers/rapists to continue to party-hardy on the island. There are an endless slew of cute drunk floozy farang chicks showing up every week - happy hunting grounds for unscrupulous Thai men on the prowl.

just as long as none of those floozy farange chicks says no, right?

you forgot about the witnesses who said there was an altercation after a rejection

There is clearly a campaign going on regarding the Nomsod side of the story, the latest I have heard is his father is having another press conference.

This is a clear, defined tactical move, but why?

Everyone is talking about Nomsod for a reason, not just because he is a suspect , he is being used as a diversion.

Look at one other member of that family, remember the morning of the murders and the very first pictures of the crime scene....there is the answer.

• Like 1

There is clearly a campaign going on regarding the Nomsod side of the story, the latest I have heard is his father is having another press conference.

This is a clear, defined tactical move, but why?

Everyone is talking about Nomsod for a reason, not just because he is a suspect , he is being used as a diversion.

Look at one other member of that family, remember the morning of the murders and the very first pictures of the crime scene....there is the answer.

The headman is understandably angry. His family's reputation is being dragged through the mud. To him, it's probably not a question of who is innocent or who did the crime. It's appears mostly his and his family's 'face' and the fact that his VIP position on the island garners a lot of revenue. We, social media freaks who keep making noises he doesn't want aired, are threatening the well-being of him and his family. It's personal and it affects his income.

Having said all that, I'll repeat: Nomsod and Mon still should be prime suspects. Even the police agreed with that, for the first week of the investigation. As soon as a new police head was appointed by Bangkok, the two Burmese were nabbed, and the whole investigation took a turn toward frame-up.

Not the Father I though it was the son,but there was some confusion, reports stated it was not the son but

sting ray chubby man was accused of rape by a Thai lady ( think she was a well known pretty)

was the headman accussed of rape before?

Edited by BoristheBlade

I think it was the day after the DNA media circus it was mentioned in passing in the Bangkok Post.

That they had indeed, returned to Blighty.

Edited by DennisF

Not the Father I though it was the son,but there was some confusion, reports stated it was not the son but

sting ray chubby man was accused of rape by a Thai lady ( think she was a well known pretty)

was the headman accussed of rape before?

Prior history of suspects could shed some light on the proceedings. Actually, it's more like 'recendings' (than proceedings) because Thai cops haven't mentioned anything new in awhile, except the headman's son's DNA doesn't match (which is questionable). Perhaps, because Thai officials have been blundering so often on this case, they realized it's better to keep press releases to a minimum.

In farang countries, there are 'character witnesses' and sometimes prior arrest history of defendant is a part of court proceedings. I don't know about Thailand. In Thailand, a person's social status is paramount. Once officials know the social standing (rich or poor, well-connected or not, well-dressed/groomed or not. ....), then that probably supersedes other character considerations.

• Like 1

And the British government is not going to say anything until the current case against the Burmese resolves one way or the other.

According to what you state, the Burmese could be found guilty first, and then sometime later the Brits could pipe up with evidence which counters the frame-up. Too bad for the Burmese 2.

The most glaring proof that Thai officials are doing a frame-up/cover-up (if any more examples were needed) is their announcement that they wouldn't share the DNA typing (of the man who should be the #1 suspect) with the Brit 'observers' for some soggy reason like 'The British have full confidence in how were administering the investigation, so they don't need to see the DNA results.'

Even those who stand 100% alongside the police (like JD and JTJ) have to take a step back and think, "whoa, the Brits have been on the shortest leash possible, with observer status, yet Thai officials WON'T EVEN SHARE DNA DATA with them"

That DNA test was taken to counter people screaming COVER UP on social media.

It was not part of the investigation since the person you are defaming is not a suspect.

It was not part of the investigation since the person you are defaming is not a suspect.

At the moment.

no,

it was a PR stunt

and part of a program of intimidation

it fooled no one

it proved nothing

just ask the police chief who said, it will prove nothing and wasn't part of the investigation

no,

it was a PR stunt

and part of a program of intimidation

it fooled no one

it proved nothing

just ask the police chief who said, it will prove nothing and wasn't part of the investigation

Perhaps you should read the post you respond to.

I think it was the day after the DNA media circus it was mentioned in passing in the Bangkok Post.

That they had indeed, returned to Blighty.

Cant find anything BKP or elsewhere to say they returned to uk. Whether they are still in TH or back in UK, they seem to be maintaining a low media profile. Perhaps giving Thai authorities more rope with which to hang themselves rather than hanging scapegoats? We are guessing until someone can confirm Bri team current whereabouts.

Any more news on good Pol Comm Gen Somyot? Is/was he on sick leave during UK team visit? Cant confirm or refute that soc media story either

Edit. Has good gen Somyot appeared in Public since Tuvichien DNA press conference on 30th Oct where he accompanied father and son?

Edited by heyexile

Strange with everything which has been reported that there has been no news on this. I assumed they had gone, but after thinking about it, that would have been another headline opportunity....

"British police delighted with the work of RTP and have headed back to UK as they are so confident that the investigation has been run professionally, and will continue to do so in their absence. They feel that they have learned so much from RTP and their methods that in future the UK will follow Thailand in training it's forces"

As we have not seen this leads me to believe one of two things....

I) they are still here

I I) they left in disgust and there is something going on which has not been reported.

Strange with everything which has been reported that there has been no news on this. I assumed they had gone, but after thinking about it, that would have been another headline opportunity....

"British police delighted with the work of RTP and have headed back to UK as they are so confident that the investigation has been run professionally, and will continue to do so in their absence. They feel that they have learned so much from RTP and their methods that in future the UK will follow Thailand in training it's forces"

As we have not seen this leads me to believe one of two things....

I) they are still here

I I) they left in disgust and there is something going on which has not been reported.

On a report of the DNA circus one of the national papers mentioned the Brit police had already gone back in the last paragraph of the report.

Sorry, Ive forgotten which media, Im sure someone will enlighten us.

Goodbye British experts. I hope you won't be sheepish in publishing results of what you've found - even if it conflicts with what we've been hearing from Thai officials. David and Hannah deserve justice, even if reports might clash with what Thai officials want the sheeple to think. Also, Ko Tao would be well-served by having violent rapists and murderers put far away. As it stands now, there will be more grisly murders and gang rapes. The culprits are still strolling around and going to bars, and they know they can get away with murder. They're probably still slipping date-rape drugs in to drinks of pretty young farang chicks, but Thai officials don't care. All that matters to Thai officials is avoidance of bad publicity which might dampen farang tourist spending. A few farang girls get raped and murdered, well, that's too bad, but they probably asked for it by strolling around in bikinis and having such pretty blond hair and ruby kissable lips.

Thanks for posting that. It could have been any one of us on Thaivisa. I truly hope he makes a full recovery. You know you're in Thailand when, the morning after he had been severely suffering all night, "At early dawn, he heard footsteps and started calling for help. Four people ignored his cries; one stranger even threw a bottle of water at him." ....a bit later a couple New Zealanders assisted him. I don't think there's an expression in Thai for 'the milk of human kindness.' But there are probably several expressions for 'don't touch that troubled man, he's probably haunted by ghosts.'

not defending any rapist or murderer,

but the fact remains,

after 2 AM, girls aren't safe anywhere, period.

in many places, men aren't safe either.

I can think of plenty of places where this would happen, in a flash,

what I don't know of, is where police use TV and press conferences to announce their findings, and then do 180 degree turns and expect to be believed

• Like 1

not defending any rapist or murderer,

but the fact remains,

after 2 AM, girls aren't safe anywhere, period.

in many places, men aren't safe either.

I can think of plenty of places where this would happen, in a flash,

what I don't know of, is where police use TV and press conferences to announce their findings, and then do 180 degree turns and expect to be believed

It's debatable as to whether or not it would happen anywhere, and with the frequency it happens in Thailand. What is a dead certainty is that the perps would be arrested same day in any half civilized, semi-developed country anywhere in the world... this is 3rd world $hit... and unfortunately Thailand has relegated itself to that status.

• Like 1