Make Google Chrome browser even Faster....

Richard-BKK

We all know that Google Chrome is one of the fastest browsers you can use, but for Linux users it's possible to make the browser even a bit faster, that is if you have a decent graphics card or one of the latest generation Intel processors (probably AMD also).

By default the hardware acceleration in Google Chrome is disabled, but with modern graphic cards and on-chip graphics you can safely activate the hardware acceleration.

If all lines are green and say “Hardware Accelerated” you already at maximum performance.... but if you use Chrome with Linux you likely see a few lines in yellow color and indicate that hardware acceleration is not active...

Override software rendering list Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android” and active it by clicking “Enable” direct under it....

A good test to see the speed difference is http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/

I get without hardware acceleration 8890 and with hardware acceleration activated 8924, on the same computer Firefox scores 8067...

Okay the performance enhancement is not that big, but it also cost nothing...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Macbook Pro (late 2013, 13" retina, 2.4gHz i5, Iris Pro 1.5GB, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.9.5)

Chrome (39.0.2171.95):

Lenovo Y500 (15" 1920, 2.4gHz i7, nVidia GT650M (x2...but SLI doesn't work on mobile), 8GB RAM, OpenSUSE 13.2, kernel 3.16.6 x86_64)

Chromium (39.0.2171.65)

An observation; none of the tests pegged anything more than a single core at a time. Confirmed on htop. I also couldn't get it to run on other browsers. Not Safari on OSX, Firefox and Konqueror on OpenSUSE. It just skips the tests and gives me the same results as the first run!