Puzzle over corpse found in Phuket condo unit

Lite Beer

Puzzle over corpse found in Phuket condo unit
Eakkapop Thongtub

1414129609_1-org.jpg

Emergency staff prepare to take the unidentified body to Patong Hospital.

PHUKET: Police are puzzling over the identity of a foreigner’s body found in a 10-floor high-end condo in Patong.

The manager of the condo, on Phrabaramee Rd, called police yesterday afternoon (October 23) to report a foul smell coming from inside a condo belonging to Briton Martin Clark, 68.

The room was locked so a Kusorndharm volunteer climbed over from the balcony of a neighbouring condo and was able to get in.

Inside, he found the naked and decaying body of a man, about 175-180 centimetre in height and weighing around 80 kilograms.

Because of the condition of the body police were unable to adduce the cause of death so the corpse was taken to Patong hospital for further examination.

Police learned that the condo belonged Mr Clark – he bought it several years ago – but he had returned to Britain in March, leaving a friend named Sam, thought to be of Indian descent, to look after it.

The condo manager told police he believed the body to be that of Sam, but said he was puzzled as to why Sam would be inside the condo. “He never stayed here,” he said. “He just came [from time to time] to check the place.”

A member of the condo’s cleaning staff said, “I saw Sam four or five days ago, walking in front of the condo.”

Police will continue to try to find the identity of the dead man and are waiting to learn the cause of his death.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/puzzle-over-corpse-found-in-phuket-condo-unit-49306.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-24

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Basic investigtive skills. Hardly a "puzzle." Then again, the BiB are hardly a police service. smile.png

But no money in it for the BiB .... = no investigation or pesky paperwork.

Sadly, I agree, but someone, somewhere, is missing a family member and friend, and for such a small amount of work, the deceased can be identified, and their Embassy can then be informed, and then the family can take steps to repatriate the body, whether it was death by natural causes, or otherwise.

A man’s death from unknown cause sparks off concern among health officials in Phuket

PHUKET: -- A man believed to be a Briton who arrived in Phuket on October 7 from Nigeria via Dubai was found dead from an unknown causes at his luxurious condominium room on Patong beach in Phuket on Thursday.

Patong hospital director Dr Sirichai Silpa-archa and Krathu district police said they were yet to confirm whether the dead man was Mr Clark Martin John Roberts, a Briton, or not although the room where the body was found three days after his death belong to Mr Roberts.

But the fact that the dead man came from Nigeria where an outbreak of Ebola has been taking place has health officials from the communicable diseases control office in Phuket to be on the alert and taken precautions.

Reporters, rescue workers and people at the condominium who were in close contact with the man and who were close to his body have been told to observe themselves if they develop fever within 21 days and to try to avoid contact with the other people.

Police said that Mr Roberts fainted on Patong beach on October 15 and was rushed to Patong hospital where he was diagnosed of having heart problem.

The body found in Mr Roberts’ room was badly decomposed as he was thought to have died three days ago.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mans-death-unknown-cause-sparks-concern-among-health-officials-phuket/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-24

Reporters, rescue workers and people at the condominium who were in close contact with the man and who were close to his body have been told to observe themselves if they develop fever within 21 days and to try to avoid contact with the other people.

That must be the Thai version of testing for Ebola, I don't even want to think what the treatment and Ebola vaccine mean then.

That must be the Thai version of testing for Ebola, I don't even want to think what the treatment and Ebola vaccine mean then.

Seems to be the standard practice in the west at present.

One can only hope nothing comes of it or we could be in real trouble.

dont know about you guys, but i suggest you stop by the local 7/11 & stock up on those last long time pork hambugers & a few extra bottles of leo. if ebola comes to bangkok, well us whitey peeps will need to lock down. was in mainland china in country when SARS hit. i was prepared for sars, but the shifty neighbors were another story, for another time maybe. the never expire cello fried rice & pork bugers, is the way to go, get em now while the gettin is good :-)

In the first article, the owner is back in the UK.

In the second article, the owner is back in Patong.

How hard can it be to run "Clark Martin John Roberts" through the Immigration computer and at least find out if he is in the country?

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

But the fact that the dead man came from Nigeria where an outbreak of Ebola has been taking place

The fact is that Nigeria has already been declared free of Ebola by WHO, the last case was Sept. 8 and 20 cases in total.

• Like 2

If I live alone in Thailand, I make sure my daughter knows I,m ok by speaking to her on Skype everyday for 5-10 mins. That is why many dies alone without his/her family knowledge . Always pick out the closest to you and communicate with her/him , let them know you are ok rather than rots in the condo/house for a week or two

• Like 1

I think the salient point, is I read, that the guy presented to medical staff, and they diagnosed a heart issue... Most agree, that the health care available in Thailand is pretty good, so atm, I am quite happy to accept, that the guy may have had a heart problem and has gone home, and died.... alone.... and was not found until the obvious odour became apparent.

Bodies do, indeed, decompose at a fast rate in hot and humid conditions..... leave a body in a cool enviroment and decomposition is slower than in the tropics...

RIP matey..

• Like 1

But the fact that the dead man came from Nigeria where an outbreak of Ebola has been taking place

The fact is that Nigeria has already been declared free of Ebola by WHO, the last case was Sept. 8 and 20 cases in total.

He may have come here from Nigeria, but, how long was he in ebola free Nigeria for, and where was he before that?

Maybe Nigeria was just a stop over.

Well, the first article says it was thought that 'Sam', a man looking after the condo for the owner, was thought to be of Indian descent. The condo belongs to one Briton, Martin Clark, 68. Who is said to be out of the country at this time (unverified to date). Next it is reported Mr. Clark, the owner had a fainting spell in Phuket 10 days earlier due to heart problems. Is he in hospital in Thailand, or back in the UK?

"Police learned that the condo belonged Mr Clark – he bought it several years ago – but he had returned to Britain in March, leaving a friend named Sam, thought to be of Indian descent, to look after it."

And...

"A member of the condo’s cleaning staff said, “I saw Sam four or five days ago, walking in front of the condo.”"

The body is said to have been dead at least 3 days already.

The next article says Sam is from West Africa (Nigeria) and was in a likely Ebola infected area and possibly exposed.

"But the fact that the dead man came from Nigeria where an outbreak of Ebola has been taking place has health officials from the communicable diseases control office in Phuket to be on the alert and taken precautions."

It's no wonder the cops are befuddled. The contradictions from one article to another is confusing enough. Maybe these newspapers should wait before publishing these articles which never seem to jibe from one article to the next. Maybe get the facts straight first, rather than publish what is merely speculation?

Edited by Cent
  • Like 2

MOPH probes death of a Briton in Phuket for any sign of Ebola

PHUKET: -- The Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) is now probing the death of a British tourist in Phuket for any indication of the Ebola virus. It is believed that the tourist had traveled from West Africa.

MOPH's Permanent Secretary Dr. Narong Sahamethapat, today spoke about the death of the foreigner on 23rd October 2014, saying that the Ministry is now investigating the cause of death as the person had traveled from Lagos, Nigeria.

The Ministry has looked into the travel records of this person and has found that he arrived at the Phuket international airport on 7th October 2014. On 15th October, he had fainted and been sent to a local hospital. The doctor found that he had a record of heart disease, and found that the patient's symptoms were not related to Ebola. The medical team had treated him accordingly and then allowed him to go home.

However, he was found dead in his room by police on 23rd October 2014. The Ministry has been asked to investigate the cause of death.

The MOPH is now working with the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office to ascertain the cause of death . Furthermore it has cleaned up the location, and collected a blood sample to be checked for the Ebola virus at the Department of Medical Science and the Chulalongkorn Hospital. The result is expected to be available on Sunday.

Meanwhile, The Department of Disease Control (DDC) Director-General Dr. Sophon Mekthon said that the body is being kept at a hospital affiliated with the MOPH and is being looked after in a manner that complies with required international standards.

The department is now monitoring about 25 people who had been in contact with the man. The department will look for any symptoms over the next 21 days. The room where the deceased used to live is now closed.

The body will be sent for an autopsy only if the test for Ebola returns negative. The MOPH will inform the public when there is more information.

The MOPH is now strictly screening visitors from countries with the Ebola outbreak, at International Disease Control Stations covering every mode of transportation. So far, the Ministry has screened 2,415 persons, amongst whom no Ebola symptom has been found.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-25 footer_n.gif

I mean it seriously when I say, this is Thailand, and if it were to be found that it was Ebola in fact, would the truth win out vs the fear of losing tourist dollars. and would there be a delay in making a truthful , informative, disclosure.

Some people think the USA are hiding ebola cases, so I suppose any country could. But Thailand have been upfront in reporting this, so seems more likely that we'd get the truth. If they wanted to cover it up they would have just kept quiet. Seems pretty obvious he died of heart problems. Nigeria is currently free of Ebola, so how could he have caught it there?

Edited by ldnguy
  • Like 1