Puzzle over corpse found in Phuket condo unit

Lite Beer

^^ It's speculated fruit bats can carry ebola as a carrier without being affected. Where the virus mutates is a bit unclear. A mutation might take a while to reemerge if ever. Some viruses just die out or go dormant.

Let's not forget less than 100 years ago the Spanish Flu killed like 50 million.

I ran across this sobering quote

"A new paper in the journal Science has analyzed viral DNA from 78 Ebola patients in Sierra Leone and found 300 genetic changes in the virus that are specific to this outbreak. It also traced the strain’s divergence from the central African type of Ebola to around 2004. (Tragically, five of the paper’s authors have since died of the disease)."

http://www.macleans.ca/society/health/ebola-what-you-need-to-know-ii/

Also it does not have to be a biblical amount of death caused directly by the virus.

The outbreaks might cause a secondary effect like economic dislocation that in turns causes a conflict.

For example currently oil prices are falling. Russia is again really vulnerable to default if the price falls below certain levels/duration.

An outbreak could just tip the scales for a world power to act out for purposes of survival and create a chaos which could in turn allow the virus to grow unchecked.

Similiar to what happened in WW 1 and the Spanish Flu

yellow jack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These Thai reporters are such collossal hacks.

Let's see. Not qualified to sell BBQ chicken? I know be a reporter.

Look at this picture at the Bangkok post.

The guy wasn't very decomposed. Didn't appear to be African and I seriously doubt was unidentifiable.

<link removed - Forum Rule 26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.>[/size]

Edited by LivinginKata
link removed

From: https://www.facebook.com/thephuketnews/posts/687675764661982

UPDATE: NOT EBOLA

The local 'Ebola' scare is over. The British man who died in Phuket after arriving from Nigeria has tested negative for Ebola, Medical Science Department director-general Apichai Mongkol said on Sunday. Dr Apichai announced the blood result shortly before 3pm. The latest laboratory tests of the man's blood revealed he had not contracted the deadly virus, so there is no reason for people to panic, he said.

I agree with the Government in this case. The awareness and the checks MUST be continued for 6 months after last reported infection. The incubation period of ebola is officially 3 weeks, so it takes no imagination at all to see a traveler arriving anywhere in the world and then coming down with the symptoms of the illness. Many Africans travel from country to country without any border guards, let or hindrance so, despite the fact that Nigeria has been free of infection or 47 days, the traveler may have visited Sierra Leone or Senegal or other places, by road, with no records kept, only days before getting on an aircraft.
Ebola is not as Oilinki observes, the black death, which kills within 5 to 7 days of infection and unlike Black Death, it just isn't easy to catch. It needs a lot of intimate contact with fluids, to be picked up by the body, This is why the bulk of Westerners who have caught the illness are medicos. It is not a serious worry for a modern country and I think that the autopsy will eventually show that our traveler simply got his weakened heart a little overstressed in Sharky Bar.

Criticize the BiB, Thailand, whoever you choose, but with that quality of reporting Iin the Phuket News, I think the only thing of which we can be reasonably sure is that a body has been found.

Like most newspapers in Thailand the Phuket News only reports what it's told no matter how stupid it may be. Time for journalists here to grow a brain and start asking questions.