New Phuket police chief tells traffic cops, 'Get out there and work'

webfact

New Phuket police chief tells traffic cops, 'Get out there and work'
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1414408425_1-org.jpg
The general warned his men, " If it is raining, just put on a rain coat to work and help people." Which is what this officer did today when a heavy shower flooded Thepkrassattree Rd north of Thalang.

PHUKET: -- The island’s new police commander, Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit, has told his officers to get out of the traffic booths and into the weather when necessary and do some work, particularly when traffic gets jammed up.

“I want to present a new vision to you all,” he told assembled police superintendents this morning (October 27).

“Policemen are not made of brown sugar which doesn’t like to be outdoors. You are not going to melt in sunlight or when it’s raining. Get to work. If it is raining, just put on a rain coat to work and help people.”

He warned, “If officers don’t do their job, they are in for a hard time.

“All policemen must think of ways to solve traffic jams and set up [direction] signs. You must work on traffic jams as quickly as possible. If anyone sees there are no police doing their jobs at any intersection, tell me,” he said emphatically.

He even gave his phone number for the public to call him: 093-7670118.

The press were invited to the meeting as well.

After seeing coverage of the Koh Tao murder case and the recent Patong ebola scare, he said he had a message for reporters: that the media are an important way to spread information so, in order to get their news right, they should contact Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong before publishing stories about matters that may affect the image of Phuket.

Pol Maj Gen Patchara laid out other ways he plans to improve security on the island.

The first of these is to beef up CCTV coverage on the island. “According to our research we need cameras at an additional 378 points. The budget is about B20 million,” he said, a sum that Phuket Provincial Administration (OrBorJor) President Paiboon Upatising has confirmed his organisation will pay.

“The security cameras are a project that cannot wait. CCTV will be a good source of information for policemen to follow and make solving cases easier.

“I believe that the CCTV project will also deter crime. If robbers know about this they will not dare to rob people.”

Lighting along Phuket’s beaches will be improved, he said, again with funding from the OrBorJor.

Police officers will also patrol beaches, equipped with all-terrain vehicles. “I plan to launch the Phuket Police Beach Project this high season to support tourism. We will have officers on 19 ATVs spread around Phuket’s beaches.”

Another technological addition to the police crime-busting arsenal will be online criminal records, including copies of arrest warrants. Any officer will be able to access these from a smart phone.

He also praised the Karon Police initiative to allow people to report problems and crimes such as snatched bags to staff at their local 7-Eleven shop, who will then call the police.

“It is good project for tourists because the police station may be far from the scene of the crime.

“It will be good idea for other police to emulate this project, not only with 7-Elevens but also with other chains of 24-hour mini-marts.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phuket-police-chief-tells-traffic-cops-%E2%80%98get-out-there-and-work%E2%80%99-49360.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-28

It must be happening already. One traffic cop working at Chalong Circle this morning, yes just one. Called me forward as a minibus was speeding around the roundabout. If I'd gone when he said I'd have been whacked in the side.

And one on duty at the corner of Soi Taina and Patak Road in Kata. Absolutely no idea what he was doing there!

And lights seemed completely out of synch, even worse than normal, on Chaofa West this morning. I get it, lights not working properly so take a police crew to work them manually.

Normally I hear blah..... blah...... blah but I do like the idea of reporting crimes to the 7-11. Lots of them, they can

tell police where the store is located, some English spoken. thumbsup.gif

Every cop on a street corner, 24 hrs a day

- residents know where to fi d them

- traffic tickets (Not bribes) would quickly create an organized & civilized, safe city.

- no taxis can park along sides of road & "Wait for a sucker/ customer". All of a sudden traffic flows bettwr, fewer taxis..the good will survive.

- if you get a ticket, licals can show up at 7am, clean the beach for 2 hours to work off the ticket!

• Like 1

It must be happening already. One traffic cop working at Chalong Circle this morning, yes just one. Called me forward as a minibus was speeding around the roundabout. If I'd gone when he said I'd have been whacked in the side.

And one on duty at the corner of Soi Taina and Patak Road in Kata. Absolutely no idea what he was doing there!

And lights seemed completely out of synch, even worse than normal, on Chaofa West this morning. I get it, lights not working properly so take a police crew to work them manually.

The traffic lights at the T junction of Chao Fa West & Kwang Rd are ridiculous now. When southbound traffic get the green light the northbound are still on red for a long time. I can only assume it is for the inevitable U turners who will have to do it there due to new median strip. Surely the U turn can wait until the green arrow goes on the other side.

“I believe that the CCTV project will also deter crime. If robbers know about this they will not dare to rob people.”.......Rubbish they still rob the 7-Elevens and they are full of cameras.

Police officers will also patrol beaches, equipped with all-terrain vehicles. “I plan to launch the Phuket Police Beach Project this high season to support tourism. We will have officers on 19 ATVs spread around Phuket’s beaches..... Great just what tourists want...noisy plods blasting up and down the beaches on ATV's....... Give them mountain bikes get them off their fat lazy ass and do some real work might make them faster at catching crooks if they are more fit.

Another technological addition to the police crime-busting arsenal will be online criminal records, including copies of arrest warrants. Any officer will be able to access these from a smart phone..About time too.welcome to the 21st Century Thailand.

“The security cameras are a project that cannot wait. CCTV will be a good source of information for policemen to follow and make solving cases easier....Provided that none of their own or people with connections are caught doing wrong then they will be falsified anyway

thumbsup.gif

"Policemen are not made of brown sugar"

Curious racist connotation that probably doesn't apply skin-color wise anyways. He could have just said "made of sugar."

The only "curious racist connotation" is the curious racist connotation instigated by your post.

• Like 2

Howabout swapping roles? Put the pretty 7/11 girls on police duty. They have better English language skills, work harder and no doubt look rather tasty in a tight policewoman's uniform.

Then put the police guys to work in 7/11. Stacking shelves is surely just about within their capabilities and might slim some of them down as well :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...