Curfew for migrant workers on islands in Surat Thani may be imposed

webfact

Next step, concentration camp!

The curfew on foreign workers has always been in place. Workers not to leave camp after 9 pm, not to be in possession of mobile phones & not allowed to ride motorbikes, nothing new here, just enforcing what has been in place for years.

For most Burmese people working on the mainland that was always the case,

just on the islands they could move around relatively free (although not for free).

I just been told by Burmese people that their "contacts" said, if the two suspects

in Koh Samui are being found guilty, then thousands of Burmese workers will leave

Thailand.

it is realy funny how all th TV members jump on every stupid interview of a thai official, this curfew never can happend because for this must be a law and it would means everybody would have to be at home at 10 pm,

how they prove this peopel are not tourists? I just meet last week 4 women from myamar in Chiang Mai who spent a weekend there.

Youu cant make a curfew on nationality or work even Thailand cant do!

But you all believe it, if a Thai say something stupid and not workable, even after more than 100 stupids interviews in the last months, still people react like it is real. So all the dive intructors working on the islands now ou will time to sleep early because your day finish at 10 pm clap2.gifcheesy.gif

I'll try again a question asked by a few, I see no response, is there anyone on Koh Tao or anyone been there recently that can report on the vibe there and the amount of tourists there?

According to a friend who visited a few days ago it was less crowded than this time last year but there are no bad vibes from the tourists. It's perhaps considered by them to be safer now the security has increased and the true culprits are arrested, right?

​Most tourists I had here over the last month, didn't have a clue about the murders in Koh Tao.

I believe the Military coup, incomprehensible and ever changing visa regulations and those

inappropriate comments of our MP and Tourist Minister had more of an impact than those

murders on Koh Tao

Sure, tourism is down but that started long before the murders on Koh Tao.

For me, only January and May was better than last year.

• Like 1

it is realy funny how all th TV members jump on every stupid interview of a thai official, this curfew never can happend because for this must be a law and it would means everybody would have to be at home at 10 pm,

how they prove this peopel are not tourists? I just meet last week 4 women from myamar in Chiang Mai who spent a weekend there.

But you all believe it, if a Thai say something stupid and not workable, even after more than 100 stupids interviews in the last months, still people react like it is real. So all the dive intructors working on the islands now ou will time to sleep early because your day finish at 10 pm clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Waoo, Dive instructors from Myanmar? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well, apparently it is the law already for a while. Obviously one can see in the passports whether its a tourist or resident (at least here in the south). I guess there is not much diving up there in CM; but let me advise you that dive instructors usually finish much earlier than 10pm as they attend English classes before going to bed.

I am not visiting the Koh Rupt Thai islands any more. Found some way nicer places in neighbouring Cambodia.

And you think that Hunsenodia is not currupt...... cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Classic. Great sense of humour Fred. thumbsup.gif

(He is best friends with 'our man in Dubai'!)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-13006542

It doesn't mean that the VIOLENCE against tourists due to various distinctly Thai factors (not cultural per se but economic/political) is as bad, which is isn't, if you've actually been there.

If you've only been in Thailand, then you're likely to have the same very strong but uneducated and unfounded biases against, for example, Cambodia, that I see in the vast majority of long-time falang residents of Thailand--people who've never been there but "know" it's a cesspit. Go there instead and educate yourself.

• Like 1

I spent a few months in Cambodia a while back, really enjoyed it and found the locals really friendly. Their ability to speak English also helped make them more accessible. For the most part there is (was?) an innocence amongst the younger generation definitely missing here.

However, I was talking to some guys who were at a party when some local thugs turned up and handed down a beating to all present, locals and foreigners alike (except those who managed to bolt over some pretty high walls)...

There was then, and I imagine still is a problem with Cambodians being deported from the US, who were involved in gangland 'activities'. Extremely scary people, with nothing to lose.,, Even the local cops were shy_te scared of them.

But today, on reflection, I think I would have been happier if I had settled there and only visited here.

I hate hindsight - always makes me feel dumb. tongue.png

Edit: Why is it I can say shit and crap but not shy_te (without _)? cheesy.gif

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 1