Phuket Immigration tightens visitor notification rules

webfact

Phuket Immigration tightens visitor notification rules
Alasdair Forbes

1414467890_1-org.jpg
Immigration held meetings about 18 months ago to ram home the rules on notifications, but it seems that some people didn't get the message. TPN file photo

PHUKET: -- The Immigration Police are applying more rigidly rules about notification of foreigners staying in hotels, villas or homes in Thailand.

They explained that checks will be made whenever a foreigner requests an extension of stay in Thailand. If the place where they are staying is not found in the notification system, the owner or manager will be fined B1,600.

The rules are laid out in Section 38 of the Immigration Law, which states, in part, “The master, owner or possessor of a residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, having receiving permission to stay temporarily in the Kingdom, is lodging, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area … within 24 hours of the time of arrival of the foreigner concerned.

“If there is no Immigration Office located in that area , the local police in that area must be notified.

“Notification must comply with regulations prescribed by the Director General.” Notifications can be made online but the hotel management, or home or villa owner must in the first instance go to Immigration in person to register and receive a login and password.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-tightens-visitor-notification-rules-49368.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-28

• Like 1

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHUKET: -- The Immigration Police are applying more rigidly rules about notification of foreigners staying in hotels, villas or homes in Thailand.

And they also it in every single European country, at least as far as hotels are concerned.

At least on reader is not short minded and knows about the European registration obligation of hotels, guest houses.

Thanks nicolas18

• Like 1

They are only interested in the money, B1600. Has nothing to do with fixing any problems. It is just another of many shake downs.

Are the bars closed in Phuket? The rather frantic, accusatory, foul-mouthed posts in this thread seem even more maniacal than usual, suggesting a collective withdrawal from something.

Some of you need to use one of these pacifiers for a few minutes, it may help you relax and regain perspective.

Please tell us what purpose this serves ? Is it to protect Thais from foreigners or the other way around ?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When the hell is this stupid shit going to stop. We report our address every 90 days and at extension of stay. What the hell else do these idiots want. They have computers update are address at the time of reporting and extending stay.

The Thai Gestapo. Soon we'll all have to wear yellow stars on our clothes.

• Like 2

This a bit of a problem as say in my case where the house the wife and I live in is owned by her.

When I go to do an extension the Immo officer will fine her for not advising them and iwillhave to pay that fine i will have to pay as i am the only source of income.

There may be plenty of guys like that even though there will also be plenty where the non thai national lease or rents the home abode where they live.

Its a nightmare. Do I make a special run with the wife in tow to lodge the completed form or lodge it when next doing my extension.

Either way its like open season on us for tea money. They have even said how much the tea money it will be.

It is a shake down. It is just about money.

When the hell is this stupid shit going to stop. We report our address every 90 days and at extension of stay. What the hell else do these idiots want. They have computers update are address at the time of reporting and extending stay.

Oh dear. Don't like it? Go home.

Want to live in their country? Abide by their rules.

"The if you do not like it go home argument" is rather lame argument. Most foreigners in Thailand are helpful to the Thai economy. Just look at Isan. People have a right to object even in Thailand. In the end if you do not like it, move to a neighboring country. Thailand is not the only place to live.

• Like 1

This a bit of a problem as say in my case where the house the wife and I live in is owned by her.

When I go to do an extension the Immo officer will fine her for not advising them and iwillhave to pay that fine i will have to pay as i am the only source of income.

There may be plenty of guys like that even though there will also be plenty where the non thai national lease or rents the home abode where they live.

Its a nightmare. Do I make a special run with the wife in tow to lodge the completed form or lodge it when next doing my extension.

Either way its like open season on us for tea money. They have even said how much the tea money it will be.

The solution here seems really, really easy: have your wife go to immigration and tell them where you live.

• Like 1

Its the land of crackdowns, there should be a crackdown on the lack of crackdowns being issued of late.A crackdown issued by some dim witted civil servant justifies his position and ego.

If you have ever worked in the Thai education system all would be explained.

All the paperwork creates 1000's of jobs nation wide and the sales of photo copying paper, per capita,possibly the highest in the world.

So this affects hotels and guest houses, as well as private persons who have foreign visitors staying with them for commercial or social purposes.

So the vast majority of those affected are Thais in the hospitality business.

But most of the discussion here is fueled by the old "my own 90 days" anger of long term foreigners.

It only makes sense because on ThaiVisa, we comment immediately after reading half of a headline and we have the memory of a fern.

A legitimate question however would be about the "notification system". I remember (from 1996 to 2008) that the entry form has a space for the address while in Thailand and that was good for 90 days after entry. So technically, a visitor who stays less than 90 days and wrote "Banyan Tree Bangkok", "Sabai Guesthouse Pattaya" or "my buddy Mike off Sukhumvit 19" should indeed be in the notification system. Well I guess we all know how to lie, so the confirmation by the domicile owner is required as described in the 2nd para. Weird stuff.

• Like 1

we wuold if only they stop moving the goal postsfacepalm.gif

Oh dear. Don't like it? Go home.

Want to live in their country? Abide by their rules.

Ah Mangobob! I am not going to demean this honourable (sic) site by saying go home. Besides you may be English and it would be equally unpalatable to run into you there as it would here. No, i would just suggest that you show a modicum of commitment to Thailand by going through the process of Thai residency. It will then be unnecessary to report your whereabouts any more than once every five or six years or so. Try it....maybe then you will be less frustrated.