Phuket Immigration tightens visitor notification rules

webfact

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let me get this straight.....as I own my home (condo) in Bangkok and I live with my son (100% farang) and we are both in Thailand on extensions of stay, am I required then to report myself to Immigration and/or report my son to Immigration on top of our 90-day reporting?

Yes, that is correct.

• Like 1

When the hell is this stupid shit going to stop. We report our address every 90 days and at extension of stay. What the hell else do these idiots want. They have computers update are address at the time of reporting and extending stay.

Oh dear. Don't like it? Go home.

Want to live in their country? Abide by their rules.

You mean by their stupidity, 50% of the time they don't know if they are coming or going.

The fact that every year the same crackdown is announced makes me think that there's never a real crackdown!

Brilliant method for causing the powers that be (who monitor these posts), to loose sufficient face, and to REALLY begin a crackdown.

The duck hunter would go home, empty handed, if only the ducks, themselves, would STOP quacking so much whistling.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

When the hell is this stupid shit going to stop. We report our address every 90 days and at extension of stay. What the hell else do these idiots want. They have computers update are address at the time of reporting and extending stay.

You mean by their stupidity, 50% of the time they don't know if they are coming or going.

See post #95.

Some easily excited posters seem to think Immigrations wants tourists or foreign residents to do something more. The regulation referred to is the one requiring hotels, guest houses, etc to report the presence of foreign guests.

“The master, owner or possessor of a residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, having receiving permission to stay temporarily in the Kingdom, is lodging, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area … within 24 hours of the time of arrival of the foreigner concerned.

Maybe before throwing a hissy fit, it would be a good idea to read what was written in the O/P.

They also want us to notify if someone is staying in our homes. So when my daughter comes next year for 5 days I have to go to Immigration and tell them the great news. Pffft!

PEOPLE like you make me want to puke. How about you go to your home country and tell the immigrants if you dont like it go home. When my wife comes with me to uk she gets a 6 month visa and never has to tell uk immigration where she is . Why should we .

Why should anyone have to abide by bad or wrong rules whatever country you live in

13 yrs I ahve lived here, never has any Immigration officer ever visited my home,. so why start now with residents, it is I am sure purely for those who are visiting and extending their visit, not residents, otherwise they would have their work cut out to check on everyone staying here. That even by Thai standards is way too much work.

• Like 1

What a pig-headed comment. It's one thing to live in a country and expect people to fit in to their way of life, customs etc - but it's quite another to expect them to put up with stupid rules like this without complaining. How many millions of hours will be wasted logging millions of reports ?. I'll bet not a single useful end result comes of it (except the fines I suppose).

You (an obvious member of the Richard Forbrain Society) actually accused Johnnie99 of making a "pigheaded" comment? Duh?cheesy.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thai Gestapo. Soon we'll all have to wear yellow stars on our clothes.

Jai yen yen- yah jai rawn (keep your cool relax don't get heated)

In most countries of the world if you stay in a hotel as a foreigner it is the law that the hotel has to collect your passport/visa details and keep them so they are available to the authorities. In some places the police routinely collect the data on a daily basis. I have always been amazed that the Thais don't do this as a matter of course. It takes the onus off the traveller and puts the responsibility onto the hotelier and the authorities to keep tabs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thai Gestapo. Soon we'll all have to wear yellow stars on our clothes.

Jai yen yen- yah jai rawn (keep your cool relax don't get heated)

In most countries of the world if you stay in a hotel as a foreigner it is the law that the hotel has to collect your passport/visa details and keep them so they are available to the authorities. In some places the police routinely collect the data on a daily basis. I have always been amazed that the Thais don't do this as a matter of course. It takes the onus off the traveller and puts the responsibility onto the hotelier and the authorities to keep tabs.

clap2.gif

If you want to lead a peaceful life in Thailand, or any Country for that matter, you need to make yourself aware of their Immigration rules.

It's their Country and they lay down the rules for foreigners to follow. Every Country has rules, some stricter than others admittedly.

The rules are straightforward and easy in Thailand, but whenever some of you see news, you have fits, as if it's all new and woe is my comfortable existence.

Any forms you need to download are here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

The requirement for foreigners to register there address is nothing new.

The requirement for landlords etc to register a foreigner at their address is not new.

Just as the requirement to report your address every 90 days isn't new.

There are fines already in place, for those who do not follow the rules, it's nothing new.

Just because it's not new doesn't make it's reasonable or just - and I take the view that a person has the duty to disobey unjust laws, wherever they are. Yours is a victim mentality.

And screw living a peaceful life. Death is peaceful, life is a struggle. You have peace when you lose.

Edited by BudRight

If you want to lead a peaceful life in Thailand, or any Country for that matter, you need to make yourself aware of their Immigration rules.

It's their Country and they lay down the rules for foreigners to follow. Every Country has rules, some stricter than others admittedly.

The rules are straightforward and easy in Thailand, but whenever some of you see news, you have fits, as if it's all new and woe is my comfortable existence.

Any forms you need to download are here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

The requirement for landlords etc to register a foreigner at their address is not new.

There are fines already in place, for those who do not follow the rules, it's nothing new.

Just because it's not new doesn't make it's reasonable or just - and I take the view that a person has the duty to disobey unjust laws, wherever they are. Yours is a victim mentality.

Either grow-up, or do yourself a huge favor, before you make a huge mistake, in LOS. Be happy! Go home!coffee1.gif

Either grow-up, or do yourself a huge favor, before you make a huge mistake, in LOS. Be happy! Go home!coffee1.gif
I left three years ago &lt;deleted&gt;. Edited by BudRight

Happy to accept any punishment, as soon as Immigration will fix its website. Online reporting does not work for half of the time and other times when it does seem to work, no way to know if the information was actually registered, saved or received.

May be they could outsource webmaster, so after the report is made, system issues a number, this way owner of manager can be sure it actually worked.

Then, they might also ask that same webmaster to optimize it for all browsers, because at the moment, it is ONLY optimized for IE and personally i refuse to use IE for anything.

What a pig-headed comment. It's one thing to live in a country and expect people to fit in to their way of life, customs etc - but it's quite another to expect them to put up with stupid rules like this without complaining. How many millions of hours will be wasted logging millions of reports ?. I'll bet not a single useful end result comes of it (except the fines I suppose).

LOL. How many millions of hours will be wasted posting on Thaivisa?

I left three years ago <deleted>.

Apparently you take your red-necked miserable self, with yourself, everywhere you go. You poor baby! Here's a brotherly hugviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

Section 38 is ancient. They should scrap it altogether.

Yes! Most of the public service is ineffective and ancient. Why don't they copy singapore or some other country that has functional and effective systems and legislation. These stupid rules and systems make outsiders look down on Thailand and Thais.

Since you think so much of Singapore, or some other country's "functional and effective systems and legislation", then why are you NOT living there, instead of LOS? You, like the rest of us (farangs on this forum), already know the reason why. Why not first get yourself un-constipated, then thank your lucky stars for the way things are in LOS. Take a chill pill, dudecoffee1.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

"notifications can be made online"................just as long as you can read and write Thai that is.

I guess most hotel owners can read and write Thai or will have a receptionist/admin who can. The onus is on the hotel, not the tourist here

The forms are in Thai and English and it is not only hotel owners that are required to report foreigners staying in their establishments.

For sure, people rent privately but hotels still house more than 95% of the tourists

What I cant understand is why people dont read the post in the first place. It has always been that where you stay has to register your presence at immigration. If its a hotel or guest house they should do it automatically and if its a private house or condo the owner should tell immigration. You fill ithe immigration card in on arrival to them where you are staying and if you move they need to be notified.

For the average visitor this is done automatically and for expats via the 90 day reporting system.

I cant see that anything has changed and its definatley nothing to get worked up about.

• Like 1

GPS Trackers are going to be fitted to every foreigner that does a 90 day reporting starting on the 33rd Jalune.

Its not stupid !

In almost every country over the world you, ( hotel or residence owner ) have to register

a guest - in special a foreigner within a short period - gues mostly 24 hrs !!

No difference in Thailand,

just law brakers and foreign criminals which want hide in thailand dont like this !!

PHUKET: -- The Immigration Police are applying more rigidly rules about notification of foreigners staying in hotels, villas or homes in Thailand.

And they also it in every single European country, at least as far as hotels are concerned.

At least on reader is not short minded and knows about the European registration obligation of hotels, guest houses.

Thanks nicolas18

Thanks beach !

I nearly sure in all EU countries for hotel owners it is obligatory,

the guest have nothing to do so far;

I travelled for 30 years east Europe, usually - many times you were checked for this registration,

as you got always a copy from the registration from the Hotel,

if you were staying in a friends home,

you have to be registered in the next police station;

Thats it !

Nothing special by Thailand,

just for them, which hiding of RTP for any reason, they know quiet well !!!

laislica, on 28 Oct 2014 - 18:10, said:

Thanks Faz for the full rules.

It effectively means every time you stay overnight in another place your change of address must be reported.

So visiting and staying with family must be reported.

Going back to stay at your home again must be reported - every time!

Often it is the hotel or GH who have to do it, but, in many cases it will fall on family or friends where you stay to make the report.

For me it's a day wasted each time to get to immigration and queue up of course, and he return cost of a taxi, about 300b each way!

Rightly or wrongly my interpretation is the need to notify residency (as in permanent residency) rather than 'staying' a few days in another place with family.

You need to look at the overall picture.

1. When applying for an extension of stay their is a requirement to report the address of your permanent residency. (with proof)

2. At this point the home owner should also notify of an alien residing in his property.

3. 90 day reports you only confirm your permanent residency (no proof

It would be absurd to expect someone spending a few days away with friends to continually notify Immigration of their movements.

That would be reporting temporary stays in possibly different locations, rather than your normally fixed permanent address.

• Like 1

This a bit of a problem as say in my case where the house the wife and I live in is owned by her.

When I go to do an extension the Immo officer will fine her for not advising them and iwillhave to pay that fine i will have to pay as i am the only source of income.

There may be plenty of guys like that even though there will also be plenty where the non thai national lease or rents the home abode where they live.

Its a nightmare. Do I make a special run with the wife in tow to lodge the completed form or lodge it when next doing my extension.

Either way its like open season on us for tea money. They have even said how much the tea money it will be.

you want to live in Thai ??

keep the rules,

special this is quiet simple,

just tell your wife not be taleeeeee !!