Phuket Immigration tightens visitor notification rules

webfact

BudRight, on 28 Oct 2014 - 20:20, said:
Faz, on 28 Oct 2014 - 17:27, said:

If you want to lead a peaceful life in Thailand, or any Country for that matter, you need to make yourself aware of their Immigration rules.

It's their Country and they lay down the rules for foreigners to follow. Every Country has rules, some stricter than others admittedly.

The rules are straightforward and easy in Thailand, but whenever some of you see news, you have fits, as if it's all new and woe is my comfortable existence.

Any forms you need to download are here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

The requirement for foreigners to register there address is nothing new.

The requirement for landlords etc to register a foreigner at their address is not new.

Just as the requirement to report your address every 90 days isn't new.

There are fines already in place, for those who do not follow the rules, it's nothing new.

Just because it's not new doesn't make it's reasonable or just - and I take the view that a person has the duty to disobey unjust laws, wherever they are. Yours is a victim mentality.

And screw living a peaceful life. Death is peaceful, life is a struggle. You have peace when you lose.

And the law takes the view that it has a duty to fine unjust persons who disobey the rules.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khun Paul the article includes "when they apply for an extension.....

Sounds like it includes the ones who are resident.

for sure !

If you are resident, you have to have a adres where you stay and sleep,

or you stay with the street dogs ??

than please take care that we will not find you in a Vietnam Dog food shop again :-)))

When the hell is this stupid shit going to stop. We report our address every 90 days and at extension of stay. What the hell else do these idiots want. They have computers update are address at the time of reporting and extending stay.

Oh dear. Don't like it? Go home.

Want to live in their country? Abide by their rules.

"The if you do not like it go home argument" is rather lame argument. Most foreigners in Thailand are helpful to the Thai economy. Just look at Isan. People have a right to object even in Thailand. In the end if you do not like it, move to a neighboring country. Thailand is not the only place to live.

and no one force you to stay here !! :-))

"notifications can be made online"................just as long as you can read and write Thai that is.

As long as the hotel owner knows how to do anything beside Facebook or play games online AND the Guv'ment website actually WORKS, which is highly unlikely.

Most USA government websites are completely useless, so I can only imagine a Thai website (ref: Obamacare website).

The Thai Gestapo. Soon we'll all have to wear yellow stars on our clothes.

When the hell is this stupid shit going to stop. We report our address every 90 days and at extension of stay. What the hell else do these idiots want. They have computers update are address at the time of reporting and extending stay.

They want all tourists to wear poofy pink hospital bands on their wrists so they can be ID'd after they've been whacked in the head.

I'd imagine this is what immigration is doing on their computers anyhow.

solitaire-customer-service.jpg

you are so right !

How many Americans know already on which continent lays Thailand ?

just remember - Bosnian war, 80% of Americans putted Bosnia on a wrong continent !

Thanks stevenl, I love sarcasm as well.

The issue is that they will fine her because its been years like most in my situation since me and others took up residence.

most hotels and lodges dont announce guests of tax fraud !!

And tax fraud is criminal,

and it seems you like to protect criminal activities ??

• Like 1

One word "PLONKERS " !

I guess you care NOT that most people have no idea what the word refers to.

Why not write Ting Tong or Bababobo ? cheesy.gif

Maybe the Phuket Police ignore that we can sleep in all Wat that exist in Thailand;

I think nearly 90,000 ...?

I know in the north of Thailand and in Issan so many GH/Resorts/Hotels they never ask for the passport ... tongue.png

not to follow the law, doesn't mean it is lawfull;

They not do it as reason of tax fraud !

and that is not a gentleman delict,

it is criminal !!

What a pig-headed comment. It's one thing to live in a country and expect people to fit in to their way of life, customs etc - but it's quite another to expect them to put up with stupid rules like this without complaining. How many millions of hours will be wasted logging millions of reports ?. I'll bet not a single useful end result comes of it (except the fines I suppose).

take it other side around !

Your son leaves your home town to thailand,

after 2 weeks, you loose any contact for months,

you will ask thai police where is my son ?

You will get the answer, we dont know, he never registered his living place !!

Thats what you would like ? yes ??

I think these rules are more pertaining to the short time foreign visitors or those who do not stay in Thailand on a constant basis throughout a year.

This is a good thing, it helps safeguard the country against wanted undesirables, criminals and terrorists by helping to track these peoples movements.

The bureaucracy in Thailand will be soon bigger then in India, and this means a lot! Much more easy in Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia. In Malaysia, you get 90 days visa-free entry instead of 30 only in Thailand. In hotels and GH you just present your passport, the rest is the owner's duty. In normal countries you pay the hotel at the end of your stay, in Thailand they want money even before they show you the room.

The reporting requirement with form TM.30 is for the arrival of all foreigners, regardless of their type of permission to stay.

• Like 1

These "rules" pertain to all "aliens", whether you are just here for a week or have lived here 20 years. Please go back and read the post with the rules. Yes, TM 30 is the hotel, condo etc. owner's responsibility, but if you are living with a Thai and he/she has not filled out TM 30 they are in violation of the rules and I think we all know who pays. I don't know many if any farangs that have wives etc. that meet that rule. The kicker is when you, although living in the same place for years have to report yourself if you are out of province for more than 24 hours, TM 28. Folks, that can cause a lot of trouble and some fatter ducks if you get my drift. I've been aware of it for years, have never filled one out and never plan to. Like I said, TM 30 really isn't a big deal even with the chickenshit fine, TM 28 is.

• Like 1

Some easily excited posters seem to think Immigrations wants tourists or foreign residents to do something more. The regulation referred to is the one requiring hotels, guest houses, etc to report the presence of foreign guests.

Not the presence, but the arrival of foreigners is reported with the form TM.30

One word "PLONKERS " !

I guess you care NOT that most people have no idea what the word refers to.

Why not write Ting Tong or Bababobo ? cheesy.gif

Maybe the Phuket Police ignore that we can sleep in all Wat that exist in Thailand;

I think nearly 90,000 ...?

I know in the north of Thailand and in Issan so many GH/Resorts/Hotels they never ask for the passport ... tongue.png

They have no reason to. A Passport is a document needed to pass a port for a commercial vessel. In fact photocopying a passport without consent from the issuing state is illegal. its all about being the biggest monkey and an excuse to extort.

Some easily excited posters seem to think Immigrations wants tourists or foreign residents to do something more. The regulation referred to is the one requiring hotels, guest houses, etc to report the presence of foreign guests.

“The master, owner or possessor of a residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, having receiving permission to stay temporarily in the Kingdom, is lodging, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area … within 24 hours of the time of arrival of the foreigner concerned.

Maybe before throwing a hissy fit, it would be a good idea to read what was written in the O/P.

But this also applies to personal residences too, right? The article says, "staying in hotels, villas or homes in Thailand", and I've previously read that this does include tourists staying in the house of a friend. A real hassle. My understanding is that technically, whenever I come to Thailand and spend some time at my girlfriend's place, and her family's, and then friends... all of them are supposed to notify their local police of my presence. That will make me real popular. Or am I wrong about my interpretation?

• Like 1

Immigration Act B.E. 2522

Chapter 4

Temporary Stay in the Kingdom

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following :

1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the

Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law

concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the

law concerned.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason

that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official

of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not

located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time

of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the

competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as

possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is

an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as

prescribed by the Director General.

In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a

letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the

Director General .

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the

competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or

hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office

located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

Section 76 details the fines for foreigners and owners for not complying.

5000 baht for the foreigner and 200 baht a day until he reports his address.

The homeowner gets of lightly.

Sarcasm on -

No wonder the local police had no idea what I was talking about (no immigration offices in this area). I've just reread this post regarding the rules and see it only applies to male visitors to the Kingdom.

- Sarcasm off.

The serious point of my post is that the local police did not understand the requirements of TM30, laughed and told me that it's only required in tourist areas. As such, they wouldn't accept the form and told me not to worry about it.

So much for following the 'rules'.

“The master, owner or possessor of a residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, having receiving permission to stay temporarily in the Kingdom, is lodging, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area … within 24 hours of the time of arrival of the foreigner concerned.

Maybe before throwing a hissy fit, it would be a good idea to read what was written in the O/P.

Actually if you own your own condo or house, , you are obliged to do this for yourself.

And if you have a relative or friend visit and stay over, you would have to notify immigration.

If you have a few condos and rent them out..... you need to register the guests with immigration.

Maybe.....

Perhaps they are dusting off this old regulation as it was a sleeping little earner.

IMHO this is primarily targeted against AirBnB and the likes with its black market, renting out houses, rooms and condos and bypassing the tax

You are the first who got the clue and this treat not only about AirBnb and the black market. Its about all who making black money beside without to pay taxes for it.

I remember over 30 years ago the italian government installed a special system to control that taxes are paid.

When you left a pub or an restaurant and the Guardia Financia controled you outside the location and you could'nt show your bill you and the restaurant was fined like hell, this system works until now in Italy properly.

The problem in Italy are also the corrupt politcians who take a cut.

The problem is, if to many cheating and don't pay taxes plus big corruption, then you getting cases like greece and soon similar cases.

"notifications can be made online"................just as long as you can read and write Thai that is.

As long as the hotel owner knows how to do anything beside Facebook or play games online AND the Guv'ment website actually WORKS, which is highly unlikely.

Most USA government websites are completely useless, so I can only imagine a Thai website (ref: Obamacare website).

The Thai Gestapo. Soon we'll all have to wear yellow stars on our clothes.

They want all tourists to wear poofy pink hospital bands on their wrists so they can be ID'd after they've been whacked in the head.

I'd imagine this is what immigration is doing on their computers anyhow.

solitaire-customer-service.jpg

you are so right !

How many Americans know already on which continent lays Thailand ?

just remember - Bosnian war, 80% of Americans putted Bosnia on a wrong continent !

and Berlin is the Capital of EU cheesy.gif

The reporting requirement with form TM.30 is for the arrival of all foreigners, regardless of their type of permission to stay.

I correct myself: The reporting requirement with form TM.30 is to report the arrival of foreigners with a temporary permission to stay. This includes foreigners with a one-year extension of the permission or to stay, and excludes Permanent Residents. See section 38 of the Immigration Act.

• Like 1

I think these rules are more pertaining to the short time foreign visitors or those who do not stay in Thailand on a constant basis throughout a year.

This is a good thing, it helps safeguard the country against wanted undesirables, criminals and terrorists by helping to track these peoples movements.

I think you are right, this is in my opinion an advanced move to ASEAN, to avoid that Thailand will getting a melting pot for criminals from all over the world.

Mission accomplished.

Carpe diem wai2.gif

Moaning is allowed. everyone does it.

its pretty typical to see your reply: "dont like it, go home".

- not really very useful.

of course he isnt gonna go home.. and of course all foreigners will have something to moan about.

i'm sure you have some gripes about life in thailand too.

and i am sure that your personal gripes dont deserve someone telling you to go home if you dont like it.

Yes amazing theyt are talking about VISITORS, not the ones who are resident here. maybe some posters need to learn to read before opening mouths and putting their collective foots in them.

Perhaps its you who needs to read the OP as the second line says 'They explained that checks will be made whenever a foreigner requests an extension of stay in Thailand.' Well extension of stay includes just about all of us all so I suggest its your foot that is removed before your next post.

It has always been the case to inform immigration that an alien is staying in your property - I forget which form it is as we have never bothered or been asked to do it. I understand how this would work for short stay visitors in hotels etc but it seems unnecessary for aliens who report every 90 days and supply this information already.

The master, owner or possessor of a residence, or the hotel manager where the alien, having receiving permission to stay temporarily in the Kingdom, is lodging, must notify the competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area within 24 hours of the time of arrival of the foreigner concerned.

i think what these guys worry is they know it is up to the owner but they know how slack and lazy the owner is

they wont do the register then if owner gets fined, all of a sudden its the farangs fault and owner will want to charge the farang 10k for the trouble.

many appartment owner are now old simple folk.they will never accept to go and dothis.

this will only turn owner against foreigner more and see them as trouble.

the honest one will think why i go to this trouble when can earn the same if a thai tennant stay.

then it wont be long before they will no doubt use this as an excuse to charge XXXXbaht onto security deposit.

i never believe it before but now it seems more and more they dont want farangs staying any longer than a normal holiday.

wonder if Bangkok will follow suit?

Although there's a requirement to report every 90 days and at extension of stay time (yearly) for us retirees, the rule that is being referred to, although including a reference to those seeking an extension of stay, actually relates to the master, owner or possessor of residences or hotels. It is they who are responsible and if they do not report the alien's stay are liable for a B1,600 fine, not the person seeking the extension of stay. That's how I read it, or do you read it differently?

This is not an inconvenience for the alien, so what are you on about? Maybe you just object to any of rule of law. If you stay at a hotel or home that is not you main residence then those previously mentioned must report your attendance. This is only applicable if you are living elsewhere at the time of being required to report? So why the big deal?

Edited by Si Thea01

Johnnie99, on 28 Oct 2014 - 14:15, said:
Mango Bob, on 28 Oct 2014 - 12:50, said:

And get killed by their crap drivers?

Out of order J99, everyone should complain about stupidity.