Phuket teen confesses to bashing American man on beach

webfact

PHUKET: -- A young Thai who has admitted to bludgeoning a Caucasian visitor into a coma today (October 28) reenacted the attack, which took place on Karon Beach, near Nong Harn, on Friday night (October 24).

The Caucasian was found unconscious on the beach the following morning but at that time no ID was found on him. He had a wound on his head, inflicted by a long piece of wood found nearby

if the attacker thought they were in danger, they could have run for their life.

But the attacker purposefully struck the falang over the head.

Anyone defending the attacker, or saying the falang deserved it, is standing on shaky moral ground.

The only factor in the attackers favour is they seem to have turned themselves in...

However; they didn't call a doctor or immediately seek help which shows gross lack of consideration for human life.

Edited by RandomSand
  • Like 2

Public records in this man's home state show absolutely no criminal history, and he was traveling with his wife. Both make it unlikely he was a drug dealer (one who works without a phone, or any money, to boot). I really wish there were more info reported on this incident. The whole scenario stinks to high heaven.

• Like 2

thailand makes me more despondent by the day ..I have wasted so much of my life here putting up with so much garbage in this place..it gets worse by the day

I really am starting to hate this placesad.png

Heyyy, what's with this dude's gratuitous negativity? He must be one of those Thai bashers!

C'mon, let's get him!

This is an all too common occurance in Thailand. Thais usually never fight fair, ... they either have a big stick stun gun, knife, gun or lots of friends so the outcome is a foregone conclusion! I have heard of many stories like this and worse. One friend of mine was attacked by three Thai guys, using big pieces of hardwood. They beat him senseless. Smashed up his face, ribs arms and legs. They got a 2,000 baht fine for nearly killing him! Welcome to Thailand! Just leave your wallet open on the table and go somewhere else!

I quit drinking and going out at night, because it is too dangerous for an old farang to be tipsy and/or alone at night. I have been robbed at gun and knife point, had attempts at necklace snatching, had things stolen from my room .... virtually everything I ever had of any value is gone! The double standard in this country makes me sick. Thais can do no wrong and everything is our fault because we came here!

I'd go home or re-locate to somewhere a little more receptive, but I made the other great mistake of marrying a Thai, building a house and store, helping the family, only to be cast aside like an empty food packet when my money as spent. Now, I have to stay here! ...or I'd be long gone too!

We are as welcome as a dose of the clap!

Funny that , i have never experienced any robbing or violence from Thais. I also go out at night and have a few drinks in the middle of Pattaya. I never were valuable neclaces so wouldnt know about that. Never had things stolen from my room or condo in Thailand, all the values I own I am still in the posession of. We must be living in 2 different worlds....

Lucky you. The longer my family member spends in Thailand, the more people he knows from a variety of European countries who have been robbed or involved in trying to flee situations turning violent. The crime stats for Thailand are terrible. If you've avoided being a victim, great. But don't discount the fact that plenty of others have not, and it is not ALWAYS the fault of the robbed or beaten when they are robbed or beaten (a popular notion among those who've never had it happen to them, yet).

Of course that is the case, this is the same for any country in the world.

Thailand is not the same as Australia mate and many other civilized countries. Crimes against tourists are a lot rarer here. The police and justice system in Thailand is a joke too. I guess you're one of the lucky ones who hasn't been affected, yet. I've been pickpocketed, ripped off multiple times. had my room robbed twice and been beaten up by 4 Thai males back in 2009. I've been ripped off by a Thai partner too for thousands. Back in my own country, where i spent 80% of my time, I can't recall one incident in the past ten years. Thais always have their eyes on the money, top priority. Glad to be out of there.

• Like 1

Funny that , i have never experienced any robbing or violence from Thais. I also go out at night and have a few drinks in the middle of Pattaya. I never were valuable neclaces so wouldnt know about that. Never had things stolen from my room or condo in Thailand, all the values I own I am still in the posession of. We must be living in 2 different worlds....

Lucky you. The longer my family member spends in Thailand, the more people he knows from a variety of European countries who have been robbed or involved in trying to flee situations turning violent. The crime stats for Thailand are terrible. If you've avoided being a victim, great. But don't discount the fact that plenty of others have not, and it is not ALWAYS the fault of the robbed or beaten when they are robbed or beaten (a popular notion among those who've never had it happen to them, yet).

Thailand is not the same as Australia mate and many other civilized countries. Crimes against tourists are a lot rarer here. The police and justice system in Thailand is a joke too. I guess you're one of the lucky ones who hasn't been affected, yet. I've been pickpocketed, ripped off multiple times. had my room robbed twice and been beaten up by 4 Thai males back in 2009. I've been ripped off by a Thai partner too for thousands. Back in my own country, where i spent 80% of my time, I can't recall one incident in the past ten years. Thais always have their eyes on the money, top priority. Glad to be out of there.

Not disagreeing with your post but only curious how you have had such experiences.

Was alcohol often involved or did you just frequent tourist type Walking Streets?

Edited by ClutchClark

But Thailand is the Land of ........

Reminds me of a securities firm, Secure Capital I think, that wasn't secure and stole everyone's money.

I will create my own country, the Land of Nobody Dies or gets Robbed or Defrauded or Scammed*

*Note: All statistics will be provided on a 100-year rolling average, audited by myself to ensure absolute credibility

Everybody has different experiences.

But why you're replying to me I don't understand. Somebody made a remark saying 'the longer somebody spends somewhere the more people he knows who have been robbed', to which I said, yes, of course, the longer you stay somewhere the more people you know, so there will be more people you know who have been robbed.

Has anybody heard anything about what happened to this American? Did he come out of his coma? Is he still here or back to the US? Here's hoping he made a full recovery. With no lasting damage.

Lex, exactly. I wish there was follow-up on these types of injuries.

I certainly hope the guy was able to get home but in his condition (coma) it would have been a medi-vac flight and those can exceed $50K in a hurry.

Has anybody heard anything about what happened to this American? Did he come out of his coma? Is he still here or back to the US? Here's hoping he made a full recovery. With no lasting damage.

Sadly there is little to no journalistic follow up to these 'sensational' headline news stories.

SO let me see... this guy is high or drunk or both, decides to ride a motorbike on the beach, gets stuck in the sand, up till now pretty believable. Now here's the dodgy bit, a group of THAI's try to help?? (not sit around and laugh), then from a clean beach (see photo) the victim finds a huge stick??? where?? and swings on a bunch not one guy in a half hearted manner (remember he is drunk and or high), so poorly that the Thai guy was able to not only get the stick off of him, but then able to smash him so hard in the head that it puts him into a coma, bleeding all over the beach, and then they walk away to leave him to die. Sounds about right for a Thai. Gang, beating, run away!

Oz

You should be a screen writer as you have a vivid imagination... Now back it up with some evidence...

Re: But why you're replying to me I don't understand. Somebody made a remark saying 'the longer somebody spends somewhere the more people he knows who have been robbed', to which I said, yes, of course, the longer you stay somewhere the more people you know, so there will be more people you know who have been robbed."

No - what I meant was - the longer my kid is in Thailand, the more of the students he started the semester with (from all over the world) have fallen victim to crime. And no, it is not always the fault of the victim. In a country where the police are paid off and the mafia is openly spoken of as a threat to extort, is it any surprise? In decades of living in the inner city / poor area of a large American city I have not been victim to the type of crime (nor have my adult children) that the folks I know living in BKK right now have been. I've also lived in eastern europe and in Nepal. It's a different kettle of fish in Thailand where by virtue of your "farang" appearance you are a target AND the police don't care.

Not disagreeing with your post but only curious how you have had such experiences.

Was alcohol often involved or did you just frequent tourist type Walking Streets?

Again, blame the victim. I am a 50 year old woman and when I left my hotel in Bangkok last month the girl at the front desk - with whom I had become friendly - was very concerned that I was leaving in the middle of the night for a 7am flight. She made a huge point of arranging in advance for a metered taxi, taking down the license plate #, and having both the security guard AND my son get copies of the license plate # of the taxi in case I was perhaps kidnapped or killed. She was very concerned about me traveling alone with luggage at that time of night, and very concerned that my son - not just the guard - have the plate # in case something happened to me. Tourists, even the old boring ones, are targets of crimes and do not - as is a popular notion here - always ask for it. Good grief.

• Like 1

If you keep your wits about you when visiting Thailand i think it is a fairly safe place to go on holiday.

The problem is many tourists drop their guard and for some reason think Thailand is paradise and drop their guard and let loose.

The first 5 years i was in Thailand i got myself in trouble on several occasions. I am a slow learner. Every time i got in trouble it was because i was drunk or because of my temper or both.

I had the same problems back Australia many years ago.

The last ten years in Thailand i have not had any problems. I still like a beer but i have grown up. Getting married and starting a family has that effect on most men.

Some tourists are unlucky and run into trouble, sometimes big trouble, when visiting Thailand, through no fault of their own, but this happens in every Country.

I have noticed a difference in my last 16 years in Thailand. The Thai youth/ teenagers of today seem to be less respectful of other people. But i don't think this is a problem restricted to Thailand.

• Like 1

richo good post.

isn't it bother grown sensible mind there own business average good people aka adults when you constantly in light of corrupton, ear's bleeding out brain on the beach and robberies n druggings n stabbings that some adults just have to tell you how sane n rational and how wonderfully safe Thailand is.

ive said it many times, until u have inhumanity happen to u in Thailand and get exploited you don't know were u are, sure shit happens everwhere but in life until wrong'd over u really don't have your humanity even as you simply think there's rhyme or reason to ones bad luck, there simply isn't, its just corruption, drugs n booze n poverty, aka in this case Thailand and its thainess yet again..and until u grasp that until all people everwhere wrongly imprisoned no longer are then even ''u'' n ''us'' aren't free, simply put your freedom in Thailand is kinda a illusion.

and im in the same boat, as you mate, glad to be out of there.

let the drunk nepolean complex having lations mental n physical midgets keep there corruption and there bank of good luck buddism...

once the novelty is gone folks its gone, if the public women make it worth your while today to travel for 1400 dollars to eat kao pad for 3 dollars n shag for 30-45 usd then enjoy it until u realize were u are and what u are there, just a guest, just a dollar, never a equal..

simply put everything I said is true. any reply to the contrary is simply denial or ignorance

and don't think I or anyone hates anybody who has had nothing but smooth sailing and no problems in Thailand, we just know its nothing to do with good karma or street iq. its just a matter of you've been lucky so far it isn't your smile or the fact your a gentleman.

Edited by Leviathan

• 3 years later...