BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Phuket teen confesses to bashing American man on beach

Re: But why you're replying to me I don't understand. Somebody made a remark saying 'the longer somebody spends somewhere the more people he knows who have been robbed', to which I said, yes, of course, the longer you stay somewhere the more people you know, so there will be more people you know who have been robbed."

No - what I meant was - the longer my kid is in Thailand, the more of the students he started the semester with (from all over the world) have fallen victim to crime. And no, it is not always the fault of the victim. In a country where the police are paid off and the mafia is openly spoken of as a threat to extort, is it any surprise? In decades of living in the inner city / poor area of a large American city I have not been victim to the type of crime (nor have my adult children) that the folks I know living in BKK right now have been. I've also lived in eastern europe and in Nepal. It's a different kettle of fish in Thailand where by virtue of your "farang" appearance you are a target AND the police don't care.

Not disagreeing with your post but only curious how you have had such experiences.

Was alcohol often involved or did you just frequent tourist type Walking Streets?

Again, blame the victim. I am a 50 year old woman and when I left my hotel in Bangkok last month the girl at the front desk - with whom I had become friendly - was very concerned that I was leaving in the middle of the night for a 7am flight. She made a huge point of arranging in advance for a metered taxi, taking down the license plate #, and having both the security guard AND my son get copies of the license plate # of the taxi in case I was perhaps kidnapped or killed. She was very concerned about me traveling alone with luggage at that time of night, and very concerned that my son - not just the guard - have the plate # in case something happened to me. Tourists, even the old boring ones, are targets of crimes and do not - as is a popular notion here - always ask for it. Good grief.

• Like 1

If you keep your wits about you when visiting Thailand i think it is a fairly safe place to go on holiday.

The problem is many tourists drop their guard and for some reason think Thailand is paradise and drop their guard and let loose.

The first 5 years i was in Thailand i got myself in trouble on several occasions. I am a slow learner. Every time i got in trouble it was because i was drunk or because of my temper or both.

I had the same problems back Australia many years ago.

The last ten years in Thailand i have not had any problems. I still like a beer but i have grown up. Getting married and starting a family has that effect on most men.

Some tourists are unlucky and run into trouble, sometimes big trouble, when visiting Thailand, through no fault of their own, but this happens in every Country.

I have noticed a difference in my last 16 years in Thailand. The Thai youth/ teenagers of today seem to be less respectful of other people. But i don't think this is a problem restricted to Thailand.

• Like 1

richo good post.

isn't it bother grown sensible mind there own business average good people aka adults when you constantly in light of corrupton, ear's bleeding out brain on the beach and robberies n druggings n stabbings that some adults just have to tell you how sane n rational and how wonderfully safe Thailand is.

ive said it many times, until u have inhumanity happen to u in Thailand and get exploited you don't know were u are, sure shit happens everwhere but in life until wrong'd over u really don't have your humanity even as you simply think there's rhyme or reason to ones bad luck, there simply isn't, its just corruption, drugs n booze n poverty, aka in this case Thailand and its thainess yet again..and until u grasp that until all people everwhere wrongly imprisoned no longer are then even ''u'' n ''us'' aren't free, simply put your freedom in Thailand is kinda a illusion.

and im in the same boat, as you mate, glad to be out of there.

let the drunk nepolean complex having lations mental n physical midgets keep there corruption and there bank of good luck buddism...

once the novelty is gone folks its gone, if the public women make it worth your while today to travel for 1400 dollars to eat kao pad for 3 dollars n shag for 30-45 usd then enjoy it until u realize were u are and what u are there, just a guest, just a dollar, never a equal..

simply put everything I said is true. any reply to the contrary is simply denial or ignorance

and don't think I or anyone hates anybody who has had nothing but smooth sailing and no problems in Thailand, we just know its nothing to do with good karma or street iq. its just a matter of you've been lucky so far it isn't your smile or the fact your a gentleman.

Edited by Leviathan

As there are no updates to this story, no need to resurrect a +3 year old topic.

:mfr_closed1: