Phuket teen confesses to bashing American man on beach

webfact

Hit him once on the head?

The man has a contusion on his forehead AND he is bleeding from his ear canal.

That would suggest more than one strike.

As for whether the American was on drugs, I will not take a guess without seeing a better look at his face before the injury. Meth heads are pretty easy to spot. Its possible the fisherman's tale is partly true but the trauma strongly suggests multiple strikes so the story is not entirely true.

Does anyone know if motorbikes are typically seen on that stretch of sand? I don't recall seeing any in the times I have visited?

Absent any neutral witness or CCTV, I don't think we will know the actual events.

But that American wouldn't be the first 20-something year old to get high in Thailand.

Still, what kind of scumbag knocks a guy out on the beach and just walks away? No remorse or concern at all. Complete indifference to possibly killing a man.

Now if I saw someone stuck in that situation and offered help and they raised a piece of wood at me...well, I would simply walk away. The Thai mind scares the hell outa me. It is more concerned about a dog's life than a fellow human being.

• Like 1

Why do these dunderhead local sims always come up with the most preposterous excuse possible? It is true that those with a minimal IQ assume that everyone else is a dim as they are.

I find the excuse 'I approached him to help, he was afraid of being robbed and tried to hit me so in stead I hit him' very believable. Even more so when the guy was high on something, which seems very likely.

Then why did he come to the police with a puyai instead of the relatives who were there as witnesses who could be interviewed independently to see if their stories match?

Your cynical expressions of disbelief and doubt are unfortunately all too familiar. Yes this is yet again another assault on a foreigner, and yes there have been far too many recently with the tragedy in Koh Tao a horrendous example of the worst of what man is capable of.

I wasn't there so I don't know what actually happened, but if the foreigners wallet and ID was still on him ("allegedly" with some easily salable drugs) and if there was any money still with him, I would say this young man's explanation could be believable!

I'm sure I'm not alone in having witnessed drug induced rages/rants and outbursts, they were neither pretty or rational. So the suggestion that the "victim" misunderstood what was happening and instigated this reaction does not seem that far fetched.

Perhaps we should all take a few deep breaths before assuming that just because a Thai was involved, that the assumed victim was totally without blame or responsibility...

• Like 2

Clutching at straws mate.

With what?

OK so lets look at what we can make out from this picture. The foreigner got stuck in the sand so Kitti and his relatives went to help him get out of the sand. Well yes we can see the bike is stuck in the sand however can any of you see any other convenient pieces of wood at all in this picture? I would say this picture covers an area of 50 sqr meters and not even another twig in sight. The foreigner, presumably leaping to the conclusion that he was about to be robbed, grabbed a piece of wood and tried to hit Kitti with it. Hmmm sorry not for me old chaps, complete fabrication. The piece of wood in question had to be part of the tools needs for holding fishing nets and thus we can safely assume that it was indeed the Thai who brought the wood to the scene. This could have been used to try and free the bike from the sand however in this scenario why would the Thai lad twist the story? Simple he is guilty of assault and his advisers who told him to use this story are as thick as two short planks.

When I have been stuck in sand or in snow or in mud, I will find a piece of wood to place under the drive wheel(s). Nothing strange about a piece of wood floating up on a beach. See it every day.

Well done son. Very honest. You didn't meed to own up and I cant believe people are scolding you. Probably the drunk started it.

Three fishermen who approach the drunk American and the drunk started it ??? Even if the drunk did start it I think they could have walked away but instead they tried to kill him.
  • Like 1

He hit the guy in the head with a log while he is down, and calls it self-defense? Used to be the Philippines was dangerous, but these days Thailand has surely taken over that notorious honor.

i was reading in a report on countries deaths, PER 100,000 PEOPLE.

Philippines #21,

Thailand #48,

Malaysia #49,

The USA #63,

Switzerland #73,

Finland #81,

Australia #109

So yes, Thailand is up there in murders

Edited by richusa

thailand makes me more despondent by the day ..I have wasted so much of my life here putting up with so much garbage in this place..it gets worse by the day

I really am starting to hate this placesad.png

I'm sure they wont mind if you leave. Just curious what exactly you personally have been putting up with for so long? (Before I end up wasting my life here too)

Seriously, it is getting ridiculous. I know we're all focusing on this because of the Koh Tao case but does it seem to be happening more and more often? Is this the sign of the tourism money running low so more and more people are finding it hard to make ends meet? Is there an increase in anger towards foreigners or is it just our perception and the increased media awareness?

Whatever it is this is not going to help TAT's case.

There is no increase in anger towards foreigners. It has always been at this level.cheesy.gif

Correct and like another poster said before social media brings these cases quicker to our attention.

And the TAT doesn't need to be worried over incidents like this. Contrary to popular beliefs they are not gonna make Headline news in the West and the visitors will still pour in.

Let me think about this... Mr Thai sees Mr Falang in need of assistance and wanders over to help him. Realizing he is about to be assaulted by some crazed Falang high as kite I bash him before he bashes me? Now what do I do thinks Mr Thai, yes I know, I better get back to whatever it was I was doing and mind my own business. Never mind I just about killed someone. If Mr Thai had a tiny peanut for a brain and his intention was to help, then he would have covered his butt and notified BIB not leave someone for dead, that is teetering on criminal negligence like leaving the scene of an accident that was not your fault.

Clutching at straws mate.

With what?
OK so lets look at what we can make out from this picture. The foreigner got stuck in the sand so Kitti and his relatives went to help him get out of the sand. Well yes we can see the bike is stuck in the sand however can any of you see any other convenient pieces of wood at all in this picture? I would say this picture covers an area of 50 sqr meters and not even another twig in sight. The foreigner, presumably leaping to the conclusion that he was about to be robbed, grabbed a piece of wood and tried to hit Kitti with it. Hmmm sorry not for me old chaps, complete fabrication. The piece of wood in question had to be part of the tools needs for holding fishing nets and thus we can safely assume that it was indeed the Thai who brought the wood to the scene. This could have been used to try and free the bike from the sand however in this scenario why would the Thai lad twist the story? Simple he is guilty of assault and his advisers who told him to use this story are as thick as two short planks.

"can any of you see any other convenient pieces of wood at all in this picture?"

Why that picture? Why not this picture?

post-35489-0-23861000-1414492771.jpg

post-35489-0-23861000-1414492771_thumb.j

• Like 1

When I have been stuck in sand or in snow or in mud, I will find a piece of wood to place under the drive wheel(s). Nothing strange about a piece of wood floating up on a beach. See it every day.

That is how you get a motor bike out of sand ?

I don't care what the American did it does not call for trying to kill someone. That is attempted murder !!!

All three of the fishermen are guilty. Has no one heard if calling the police If their is a crime happening. Why did the Thai not call the police after ?

We know what this was... Another assault on a farang due to lax law enforcement and punishment. This guy will get 500 baht fine and left go....

Sorry but i have to disagree with that.

I do not think that he will get fined at all.

More likely, he or his family will have to make a favour or an appropriate gift for the KamNam involvement to make sure the criminals will get scot free.....usual stuff.

On top of that, he might well be a dealer or a user or simply a defenceless's victim, BiB planting stuff on aliens shouldn't be a novelty anymore, isn'it?, a background check back home would help.

I personally have been accused of been an alcoholic's abuser, smoker, etc, just because many foreigners are, so i must to be too.....plus a series of other assumptions that you wouldn't expect to come out from someone aged more than 4/5 years......really.

Look in general if we see a drunken man spouting of and being a nuisance the vast majority of people will ignore him or tell him to go away. If there are a few of you and he gets rowdy, a little extra persuasion is sometimes necessary it is called proportionate actions. One skinny drunken man getting stuck in the sand to me would be quite a spectacle and if i say so quite amusing. Now irrespective of what he has said, putting the man in a comma is not proportionate to the situation these Thai lads may have encountered with this skinny drunken man on the beach. This is the problem here these idiots will try and kill you over nothing.

That's when a "comma" becomes a "full stop".

• Like 1

Sorry, I forgot, this is the TVF, so the foreigner, in this case even a farang, must be the totally blameless victim of a crime by the evil Thai men and be defended at all cost.

Don't be ignorant. The foreigners view is always the last view to be fairly shared in Thailand. TVF is an open platform for just that. The reason the views are often pro-foreigners and reflect negatively against Thais, is because almost 100% of Thai media outlets do the exact same thing to non-Thais - and it's bullshit. Thai prosecution is almost always in favour of the locals. Foreigners are almost always portrayed as over-weight, beer guzzling, whore mongers. Is it true... sometimes smile.png, but I digress. What you read here isn't about the "evil Thai men", it's about shedding light on the 'mysterious' crimes against foreigners that so often come up, but the evidence rarely equates. Furthermore, there is never any investigative journalism to find the hard truth. Honest and efficient policing would solve many of the frustrations expressed on this forum. Unfortunately, policing in Thailand, more often than not, proves to be corrupt - and has nothing to do with honest efficiency.

I disagree regarding 'the foreigners view is the last view to be fairly shared', I disagree that TVF is a platform just for that, I disagree with the reasons the views are pro foreigners and I disagree with the rest of your post except for the quality of the journalism here and the complete lack of investigative journalism.

You have every right to disagree. However, disagreeing doesn't change what is..

Your cynical expressions of disbelief and doubt are unfortunately all too familiar. Yes this is yet again another assault on a foreigner, and yes there have been far too many recently with the tragedy in Koh Tao a horrendous example of the worst of what man is capable of.

I wasn't there so I don't know what actually happened, but if the foreigners wallet and ID was still on him ("allegedly" with some easily salable drugs) and if there was any money still with him, I would say this young man's explanation could be believable!

I'm sure I'm not alone in having witnessed drug induced rages/rants and outbursts, they were neither pretty or rational. So the suggestion that the "victim" misunderstood what was happening and instigated this reaction does not seem that far fetched.

Perhaps we should all take a few deep breaths before assuming that just because a Thai was involved, that the assumed victim was totally without blame or responsibility...

The story says he didn't have an ID on him - so probably no wallet was found either, and the alleged drugs were in his pockets. No mention of money or other personal items in the report.

I too have seen so many drunk/high outbursts from the locals, but quite as much so from tourists in the 'touristy' areas of Phuket, Pattaya etc, so I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions.

If the victim was high or seriously impaired from drinking, then saw multiple Thai person approaching without understanding what they were up to, it would seem plausible to panic and overreact, especially if you've been watching the news lately, much more so when you're under the influence.

There are just too many ifs and buts in this case, so I just conclude in hoping the guy gets better, for starters, and then can afford a decent lawyer, and if the allegations regarding ya ba hold true, turns his life around from the shittiest path one can take - drugs.

• Like 1

thailand makes me more despondent by the day ..I have wasted so much of my life here putting up with so much garbage in this place..it gets worse by the day

I really am starting to hate this placesad.png

Stuff like this happens in San Francisco everyday...senseless violence happens non-stop...It's no different here, maybe in Mayberry.

I wonder what all the 'relatives' were doing while this "one-on-one" fight was going on? xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.FVjgnKnWS1.p I don't believe a word that comes out of the Thai police mouths. Nice to see someone was taking pics before administering first aid blink.png I hope the guy makes a full recovery.

• Like 1

Why do these dunderhead local sims always come up with the most preposterous excuse possible? It is true that those with a minimal IQ assume that everyone else is a dim as they are.

Why do I always come up with the most preposterous excuse possible. It is true that I with a minimal IQ assume that everyone else is as dim as I am. More true?

Yeah you've lost me. Perhaps it would look better with pictures?

Can anyone else smell bullshit?

An independent drug test of the American's blood would be interesting.

It would either strengthen, or seriously weaken, their drug possession case.

Not really, even if found negative, he could be accused of being a dealer.

That is how you get a motor bike out of sand ?

Yup - gives a bit of traction - dig it under the drive wheel to get some initial traction -> movement and try to keep the speed steady -> get out of sand/snow/mud. Pretty simple physics :)