Phuket teen confesses to bashing American man on beach

webfact

Reports on another site quote the police initially as saying that he was observed riding his motorcycle in an erratic fashion at 0530 hrs and basically causing a disturbance. This also contradicts the local lad's story that the incident happened on the Fri night .The motorcycle supposedly had Malaysian plates, for whatever pertinence that has, and there was strangely no mention of the drugs being found although it was reported that he had no ID on him .

thailand makes me more despondent by the day ..I have wasted so much of my life here putting up with so much garbage in this place..it gets worse by the day

I really am starting to hate this placesad.png

I personally don't think it is getting much worse, it's just we are more aware of these incidents now because of social media.

Exactamentclap2.gif

What's interesting is that the "thinking" runs along these lines: because the motorcycle guy was drunk and using drugs (which I am not convinced) then therefor the kid who whacked him is somehow in the right. It doesn't seem to occur to the media or the police or both that there are numerous ways to deal with someone who is drunk other than bludgeoning them to nearly to death. For example, when confronted with a violent drunk who thinks you are trying to harm him, what better way to convince him otherwise than to just leave him alone? In this case they had a whole wide open beach to disappear into.

There is also an implicit thread running through much of what happens to people in Thailand, Thai or visitor: if something happens to you, it is your fault, or worse, you are the real trouble maker. Why, because what has happened to you causes others to have to go to jail, causes us to have to look at or think about something terrible and so you are going to get it.

• Like 1

Why don't we all just wait until the guy wakes up? (Fingers crossed that he does)

Then we will all discover his version of what actually happened, if he can remember.

Of course, even if he admits that he thought he was going to be attacked and so started the fight, the usual suspects on this forum will say "It's a fit-up!" biggrin.png

There's no helping them. post-35489-0-78174400-1414503770.gif

• Like 1

!. Stupid drunk to do this.

2.Thais do not fight 1 on 1, more likely the whole boat load got stuck in on a drunk, Then no Thais get hurt.

3. Every thing else is straight forward. Get someone to confess, plant drugs and we are all safe. Thai JUSTICE???

• Like 1

I choose to believe the story . The young american was high on drugs and driving the bike and get stuck in the sand. When he see the Thais approaching he thinks he will be attacked so he is stupid and try to hit a Thai.

And as we all know , you can't win a fight against a Thai because they will fight back. A good hit in his head and he is left unconscious .

More investigation is required before jumping to conclusions. There are two sides to this story, maybe the Thai is telling the truth, maybe not. How can we tell from a few lines of reporting and a single photo?

Or should we assume the farang is always the victim?

When I have been stuck in sand or in snow or in mud, I will find a piece of wood to place under the drive wheel(s). Nothing strange about a piece of wood floating up on a beach. See it every day.

That is how you get a motor bike out of sand ?

I don't much care for mopeds but I have ridden dirtbikes over the course of my life, have kept one on the farm since the 70's. But if you will read my post, I said vehicles. And, yes, have used a board or piece of wood or whatever other device I can find nearby to use as a lever, a digging tool, or to provide a solid footing on many occasions.

The point is, which seems to have gone right over your head, is it would not be out of the ordinary for a piece of wood to be found on a beach. Such a piece of wood may be utilized by a fisherman or by a farang with a stuck motorbike. So it really does not prove or disprove anything about this case as the poster i had responded to had suggested.

Did I simplify that down enough for you? Remove the ambiguity enough for you to easily understand?

Cheers

Clutching at straws mate.

With what?

OK so lets look at what we can make out from this picture. The foreigner got stuck in the sand so Kitti and his relatives went to help him get out of the sand. Well yes we can see the bike is stuck in the sand however can any of you see any other convenient pieces of wood at all in this picture? I would say this picture covers an area of 50 sqr meters and not even another twig in sight. The foreigner, presumably leaping to the conclusion that he was about to be robbed, grabbed a piece of wood and tried to hit Kitti with it. Hmmm sorry not for me old chaps, complete fabrication. The piece of wood in question had to be part of the tools needs for holding fishing nets and thus we can safely assume that it was indeed the Thai who brought the wood to the scene. This could have been used to try and free the bike from the sand however in this scenario why would the Thai lad twist the story? Simple he is guilty of assault and his advisers who told him to use this story are as thick as two short planks.

When I have been stuck in sand or in snow or in mud, I will find a piece of wood to place under the drive wheel(s). Nothing strange about a piece of wood floating up on a beach. See it every day.

Yes and the chances are that said piece of wood will more than likely be poles used with shallow water fishing nets!!!

i was reading in a report on countries deaths, PER 100,000 PEOPLE.

Philippines #21,

Thailand #48,

Malaysia #49,

The USA #63,

Switzerland #73,

Finland #81,

Australia #109

So yes, Thailand is up there in murders

Switzerland #73,

Finland #81,

Australia #109

<deleted>??

and that PH number has to be bullshit.

I live in PH I feel a lot less safe there than I do in Thailand. It's only been 3 months but not a single instance of feeling like I was even remotely in danger. No one even gets close enough to my personal space to try and rob me. Tuk tuk's and beggars take no for an answer here. In the PH you always have some one in you space trying to sell you something, or get in your pockets, or annoying the hell out of you.

OK so lets look at what we can make out from this picture. The foreigner got stuck in the sand so Kitti and his relatives went to help him get out of the sand. Well yes we can see the bike is stuck in the sand however can any of you see any other convenient pieces of wood at all in this picture? I would say this picture covers an area of 50 sqr meters and not even another twig in sight. The foreigner, presumably leaping to the conclusion that he was about to be robbed, grabbed a piece of wood and tried to hit Kitti with it. Hmmm sorry not for me old chaps, complete fabrication. The piece of wood in question had to be part of the tools needs for holding fishing nets and thus we can safely assume that it was indeed the Thai who brought the wood to the scene. This could have been used to try and free the bike from the sand however in this scenario why would the Thai lad twist the story? Simple he is guilty of assault and his advisers who told him to use this story are as thick as two short planks.

Yes and the chances are that said piece of wood will more than likely be poles used with shallow water fishing nets!!!

100% assumption on your part. You have not even seen the piece of wood.

But don't let that stop ya.

Nor do you even know the type of fishing net it was or how it was deployed. It is not a typical fishing practice on that beach to use the type of fishing method you suggest. In other words, you have created an entire scenario in your head to suit what you want to believe. First and foremost that you find it odd that a piece of wood would have been found on a Thai beach. Have you ever been to a Thai beach?

Edited by ClutchClark

Come on people... This story sounds very plausible... If this was truly a premeditated attack why turn yourself in.... And if you are going to plant drugs... one variety would be sufficient... Most criminals are also info drugs or at least know the value of said drugs so would of took the drugs along with his wallet.. If a policemen wanted to plant drugs on someone they want the victim to be awake and alert so as to collect the stay out of jail fine immediately a there are less peers to share it with.. I believe the Thai guy in this instance... Btw, this caae has absolutely nothing in common with the Koh Tao case.. And I seriously doubt the US embassy will get involved much at all.. A non story ... Nothing to see here. Move along people,...

• Like 1

Come on people... This story sounds very plausible... If this was truly a premeditated attack why turn yourself in.... And if you are going to plant drugs... one variety would be sufficient... Most criminals are also info drugs or at least know the value of said drugs so would of took the drugs along with his wallet.. If a policemen wanted to plant drugs on someone they want the victim to be awake and alert so as to collect the stay out of jail fine immediately a there are less peers to share it with.. I believe the Thai guy in this instance... Btw, this caae has absolutely nothing in common with the Koh Tao case.. And I seriously doubt the US embassy will get involved much at all.. A non story ... Nothing to see here. Move along people,...

Yes it sounds plausible but it is absolutely ridiculous to think the response was warranted.

Fisherman could have walked away but chose not to. Then when victim was on ground the fisherman struck him hard with a weapon, even though there were 3 against 1. Then the three fisherman simply walk away lime they had just killed a fish not a human being. They do not call for the police or for medical help. They leave the guy to die. And he very easily could have died. Bleeding from the ears as a result of head trauma is a result of pressure against the brain and is easily fatal.

There is no part of the fishermans' actions which would be considered reasonable in Western Society beyond the point he tripped and disarmed the victim.

This is an example of a violence that is considered reprehensible in Western culture but is considered perfectly normal here in Thailand.

There is no part of the fishermans' actions which would be considered reasonable in Western Society beyond the point he tripped and disarmed the victim.

This is an example of a violence that is considered reprehensible in Western culture but is considered perfectly normal here in Thailand.

So? You aren't in Kansas any more.

Nope. Colorado actually and can't wait to get back for reasons just like this one. Thai culture is great for Thai people and its not for me to tell them how to live their lives or make and enforce their laws. All I can do is recognize the culture lacks many of the ethical, societal, civic and humanitarian priorities that I am proud to say my own culture prioritizes and return home with an even greater respect for my country and my people than I already have.

Clear that up for ya?

• Like 1

Amazing that there was a large piece of wood conveniently lying on the sand nearby to provide the teenager with a weapon to bash the American.

I dare say it is probable that the true intentions of the group were to rob the American guy on the beach and as regards all the drugs discovered on the victim, who could really say how they got to be conveniently in his possession when taken to the hospital?

Yes, this time I have strong doubts regarding the accounts as to what happened by the teenager and sadly this year has seemed to have been open season on western tourists in Thailand.

Nope. Colorado actually and can't wait to get back for reasons just like this one. Thai culture is great for Thai people and its not for me to tell them how to live their lives or make and enforce their laws. All I can do is recognize the culture lacks many of the ethical, societal, civic and humanitarian priorities that I am proud to say my own culture prioritizes and return home with an even greater respect for my country and my people than I already have.

Clear that up for ya?

Yes indeed. Much respect for you if you actually do leave. Most here are just crying about it knowing that their would still be worse off back "home" but can't get over the fact that Thailand is not perfect.

I reckon if Thailand got their act together it would end up being a) too expensive for these whiners and B) wouldn't even cater to the reasons why most of them came here in the first place (hint hint).

If you want "paradise" go back home or just accept that all the reasons most of these blokes came to Thailand to begin with wouldn't be possible without the so called corruption they now hate.

You want safe? Try Japan, wait no, they can't afford it.

• Like 1

I know this is a strange one (as many cases here are), but do remember that the suspect turned himself in to police. People who are saying that this is another example of a dodgy story need to explain why the Thai man would come forward in this instance.

• Like 1

i was reading in a report on countries deaths, PER 100,000 PEOPLE.

Philippines #21,

Thailand #48,

Malaysia #49,

The USA #63,

Switzerland #73,

Finland #81,

Australia #109

So yes, Thailand is up there in murders

Switzerland #73,

Finland #81,

Australia #109

<deleted>??

and that PH number has to be bullshit.

I live in PH I feel a lot less safe there than I do in Thailand. It's only been 3 months but not a single instance of feeling like I was even remotely in danger. No one even gets close enough to my personal space to try and rob me. Tuk tuk's and beggars take no for an answer here. In the PH you always have some one in you space trying to sell you something, or get in your pockets, or annoying the hell out of you.

What was your source for this richusa?

And to JThai, one of my best friends is a from PH, I feel what you're saying. xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.7f2Kr9k8HC.png

According to a wikipedia entry the aforementioned countries intentional homicide rates per 100000 person were as follows:

Country | rate | cases

-----------------------------

Philippines | 8.8 | 8,484

Thailand | 5.0 | 3,307

United States | 4.7 | 14,827

Malaysia | 2.3 | 652

Finland | 1.6 | 89

Australia | 1.1 | 254

Switzerland | 0.6 | 46

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can anyone else smell bullshit?

An independent drug test of the American's blood would be interesting.

It would either strengthen, or seriously weaken, their drug possession case.

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of drivel responses that do nothing to get at the facts, if that's possible. If this Yank was high on something, that might lend some credibility to the Thai guy's story. Short of that, it could be a case of "he said, he said"...