Phuket teen confesses to bashing American man on beach

webfact

If the drugs are really his, than a blood test would show one or all these drugs in his system.

Although your statement is true that a blood test would help prove ownership, would anyone on TV believe it?

Besides, why do some posters think the drugs must have been planted?

The attacker has already been allowed to walk free based on his version of events, which somehow the RTP consider self-defense.

There is no reason for this conspiratorial assumption the drugs must have been planted.

Does anyone know if he has come out of coma yet? Head trauma such as this can cause permanent brain damage.

I have little mercy for anyone that would do these drugs, especially when it is against the law in the country they are abusing them; however, he is an american and there were other solutions than the fisherman viciously attacking him.

• Like 2

thailand makes me more despondent by the day ..I have wasted so much of my life here putting up with so much garbage in this place..it gets worse by the day

I really am starting to hate this place:(

So what would it take for you to leave? I have to admit I came to the conclusion that Thailand isn't a place for Foreigners or Tourists and so did the only sensible thing... I left and I can tell you I feel all the better for it.

I don't even know you and i feel better as well

I don't even know you & I feel much better you left. There's lots of us, falangs, enjoying an idyllic life with Thai family & friends here. It is a great place for foreigners with the right attitude, a positive outlook & no chip on our shoulder.

Hope you are fitting in well, wherever you have returned to.

Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 1

Lets see American in coma no ID on him? Well being an American 99% of the time you have a wallet on you So the being robbed part is most likely correct. But knowing Thai's way of thinking I 'll turn myself in but before I do must make farang look to be of blame. Hey got idea take some of the money I stole from him which I used to buy drugs and plant drugs on him so when he is found he looks to be in the wrong.

• Like 1

"In this case, I find it hard not to at least feel pity for the person who was left comatose and bleeding in the open, by a larger group of people who apparently did not care a bit whether he would live or die there - not a single one of them..."

Yes, this is the part of the story that got me. Nether Kitti nor his relatives present at the scene cared a whit that they were leaving a young man to die alone on the beach? What the heck sort of family does that?

Sorry, I forgot, this is the TVF, so the foreigner, in this case even a farang, must be the totally blameless victim of a crime by the evil Thai men and be defended at all cost.

Don't be ignorant. The foreigners view is always the last view to be fairly shared in Thailand. TVF is an open platform for just that. The reason the views are often pro-foreigners and reflect negatively against Thais, is because almost 100% of Thai media outlets do the exact same thing to non-Thais - and it's bullshit. Thai prosecution is almost always in favour of the locals. Foreigners are almost always portrayed as over-weight, beer guzzling, whore mongers. Is it true... sometimes smile.png, but I digress. What you read here isn't about the "evil Thai men", it's about shedding light on the 'mysterious' crimes against foreigners that so often come up, but the evidence rarely equates. Furthermore, there is never any investigative journalism to find the hard truth. Honest and efficient policing would solve many of the frustrations expressed on this forum. Unfortunately, policing in Thailand, more often than not, proves to be corrupt - and has nothing to do with honest efficiency.

I disagree regarding 'the foreigners view is the last view to be fairly shared', I disagree that TVF is a platform just for that, I disagree with the reasons the views are pro foreigners and I disagree with the rest of your post except for the quality of the journalism here and the complete lack of investigative journalism.

You have every right to disagree. However, disagreeing doesn't change what is..

Yes, we disagree here, have different opinions. Now if you can please see that that is what it is, opinions, no facts whatsoever in spite of what you claim.

I know this is a strange one (as many cases here are), but do remember that the suspect turned himself in to police. People who are saying that this is another example of a dodgy story need to explain why the Thai man would come forward in this instance.

An earlier post mentioned that he was caught on CCTV and the local village headman recognized him and convinced him to surrender. I guess the CCTV wasn't directly at the beach but nearby and perhaps few people on it at the time.

If that's true, then coming forward is self defense, not remorse.

• Like 1

There is also an implicit thread running through much of what happens to people in Thailand, Thai or visitor: if something happens to you, it is your fault, or worse, you are the real trouble maker.

That is an interesting cultural point. I worked in the U.S. office of a large, Thai corporation many years ago. There were 100 or so Thai nationals working in the office. We got news that a coworker's husband had been in a car accident, and he and her son badly injured. The American, European and Australian coworkers immediately started a collection to send flowers to the hospital, and created a meal delivery sign up for the family, to support our friend and coworker during the tragedy. This is a fairly common thing in offices in the U.S. The Thai coworkers would not participate. Finally we were told that we needed to wait to find out if the accident was the husband's fault or not. Meanwhile the Thai women in the office had already decided fault along the lines of "something bad happened to him, he must have brought it on himself."

Edited by JenniferSG

This is my opinion, and that's all it can be without full facts being known:

The American was under the influence of alcohol or drugs and was caught on camera riding like a hoon around the circle. He then rode onto the beach for reasons that cannot be ascertained without his side of the story.

Whatever his reasons he put himself in a position where his personal safety was in jeopardy.

He was approached by the fisherman, or fishermen, who claimed they only wanted to help. However, they obviously brought the post with them to the scene. In the re-enactment you can see that the post is sandy near the bottom as if it had been driven into the sand near the waters edge, possibly to hold the end of a fishing net. It does not appear at all like a piece of driftwood that by chance was lying around well above the tide line on the otherwise pristine beach.

In my opinion it was robbery (the wallet is missing), and the drugs belong to the American. Why would anyone plant three different types of narcotics in an attempted frame up?

An idiot who put himself in danger and some thugs who saw an opportunity for some easy money.

I choose to believe the story . The young american was high on drugs and driving the bike and get stuck in the sand. When he see the Thais approaching he thinks he will be attacked so he is stupid and try to hit a Thai.

And as we all know , you can't win a fight against a Thai because they will fight back. A good hit in his head and he is left unconscious .

Why is that any more likely than: a group sees a drunk guy out alone at night and bashes his brains in to rob him- happens all the time. This would explain the missing ID, wallet and phone (what 24 yr old these days does not have their phone virtually attached to their body at all times?). When it is learned that they're on CCTV, make up a story and turn yourself in with the support of the local head man and some cash changing hands.

I don't believe the drugs bit for a moment. Had they said 1 type of drug, sure. But numerous? Uppers and downers? Like he's a dealer who carries no phone or money?

Edited by JenniferSG
  • Like 1

thailand makes me more despondent by the day ..I have wasted so much of my life here putting up with so much garbage in this place..it gets worse by the day

I really am starting to hate this placesad.png

So what would it take for you to leave? I have to admit I came to the conclusion that Thailand isn't a place for Foreigners or Tourists and so did the only sensible thing... I left and I can tell you I feel all the better for it.

So are we,some of us are made of sterner stuff.

There is also an implicit thread running through much of what happens to people in Thailand, Thai or visitor: if something happens to you, it is your fault, or worse, you are the real trouble maker.

That is an interesting cultural point. I worked in the U.S. office of a large, Thai corporation many years ago. There were 100 or so Thai nationals working in the office. We got news that a coworker's husband had been in a car accident, and he and her son badly injured. The American, European and Australian coworkers immediately started a collection to send flowers to the hospital, and created a meal delivery sign up for the family, to support our friend and coworker during the tragedy. This is a fairly common thing in offices in the U.S. The Thai coworkers would not participate. Finally we were told that we needed to wait to find out if the accident was the husband's fault or not. Meanwhile the Thai women in the office had already decided fault along the lines of "something bad happened to him, he must have brought it on himself."

Fascinating.

Thank you.

This is an all too common occurance in Thailand. Thais usually never fight fair, ... they either have a big stick stun gun, knife, gun or lots of friends so the outcome is a foregone conclusion! I have heard of many stories like this and worse. One friend of mine was attacked by three Thai guys, using big pieces of hardwood. They beat him senseless. Smashed up his face, ribs arms and legs. They got a 2,000 baht fine for nearly killing him! Welcome to Thailand! Just leave your wallet open on the table and go somewhere else!

I quit drinking and going out at night, because it is too dangerous for an old farang to be tipsy and/or alone at night. I have been robbed at gun and knife point, had attempts at necklace snatching, had things stolen from my room .... virtually everything I ever had of any value is gone! The double standard in this country makes me sick. Thais can do no wrong and everything is our fault because we came here!

I'd go home or re-locate to somewhere a little more receptive, but I made the other great mistake of marrying a Thai, building a house and store, helping the family, only to be cast aside like an empty food packet when my money as spent. Now, I have to stay here! ...or I'd be long gone too!

We are as welcome as a dose of the clap!

This is an all too common occurance in Thailand. Thais usually never fight fair, ... they either have a big stick stun gun, knife, gun or lots of friends so the outcome is a foregone conclusion! I have heard of many stories like this and worse. One friend of mine was attacked by three Thai guys, using big pieces of hardwood. They beat him senseless. Smashed up his face, ribs arms and legs. They got a 2,000 baht fine for nearly killing him! Welcome to Thailand! Just leave your wallet open on the table and go somewhere else!

I quit drinking and going out at night, because it is too dangerous for an old farang to be tipsy and/or alone at night. I have been robbed at gun and knife point, had attempts at necklace snatching, had things stolen from my room .... virtually everything I ever had of any value is gone! The double standard in this country makes me sick. Thais can do no wrong and everything is our fault because we came here!

I'd go home or re-locate to somewhere a little more receptive, but I made the other great mistake of marrying a Thai, building a house and store, helping the family, only to be cast aside like an empty food packet when my money as spent. Now, I have to stay here! ...or I'd be long gone too!

Funny that , i have never experienced any robbing or violence from Thais. I also go out at night and have a few drinks in the middle of Pattaya. I never were valuable neclaces so wouldnt know about that. Never had things stolen from my room or condo in Thailand, all the values I own I am still in the posession of. We must be living in 2 different worlds.... Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Funny that , i have never experienced any robbing or violence from Thais. I also go out at night and have a few drinks in the middle of Pattaya. I never were valuable neclaces so wouldnt know about that. Never had things stolen from my room or condo in Thailand, all the values I own I am still in the posession of. We must be living in 2 different worlds....

Lucky you. The longer my family member spends in Thailand, the more people he knows from a variety of European countries who have been robbed or involved in trying to flee situations turning violent. The crime stats for Thailand are terrible. If you've avoided being a victim, great. But don't discount the fact that plenty of others have not, and it is not ALWAYS the fault of the robbed or beaten when they are robbed or beaten (a popular notion among those who've never had it happen to them, yet).

Funny that , i have never experienced any robbing or violence from Thais. I also go out at night and have a few drinks in the middle of Pattaya. I never were valuable neclaces so wouldnt know about that. Never had things stolen from my room or condo in Thailand, all the values I own I am still in the posession of. We must be living in 2 different worlds....

Lucky you. The longer my family member spends in Thailand, the more people he knows from a variety of European countries who have been robbed or involved in trying to flee situations turning violent. The crime stats for Thailand are terrible. If you've avoided being a victim, great. But don't discount the fact that plenty of others have not, and it is not ALWAYS the fault of the robbed or beaten when they are robbed or beaten (a popular notion among those who've never had it happen to them, yet).

Of course that is the case, this is the same for any country in the world.

• Like 1

W

Any news on the American is he out of the Coma ???

I dont think you will find a follow-up story in a case like this. If you're in Phuket why dont you just visit the hospital and find out?

W

Any news on the American is he out of the Coma ???

I dont think you will find a follow-up story in a case like this. If you're in Phuket why dont you just visit the hospital and find out?

As much as I am interested and concerned about the poor Chap, it's not my style just to turn up at the Hospital..., hopefully there might be a posting soon on his condition.