BREAKING: ‘Bomb’ found on Phuket beach

Lite Beer

Here we go.....

I was waiting for this to happen.

Muslim insurgents shifting to undermine Thailand's tourist industry while it is at an all time low in a 'kick em when they're down' campaign.

Or possibly disgruntled evicted beach business owners.

Or possibly a contrived dog and pony show for the media to show the world that Thailand is the hub of protecting tourists.

It could be anyone's guess.

Mind you, strange to attack from the sea. Shouldn't the navy be handling this? smile.png

Many options if it is a bomb. Did you ever consider it is not a bomb? That seems far more likely than any of your explanations.

Why is the first option unlikely? There have already been a bomb in Phuket, it was just not reported in Thailand. But I agree let them find out if its a bomb, because the way they describe how it got on the beach sounds as incredible as any fairy tale I can think of.

Why would an insurent place a bomb in a plastic bag and put it in the sea, where he has no way of knowing where it will end, unless he is suddenly an expert on ocean currents. Further, how do you control when to make it explode if you do not know when it will reach shore - or if it will ever reach shore.

The insurgent seem to have no problem placing bombs on land and thereby control where and when to detonate them, so why change that?

More than likely a fish bomb used by illegal fishermen. Many many instances of this in Hong Kong and China. Could be nothing more sinister than that. The Bomb disposal guys look like they are up for the job, good to see...

Here we go.....

Muslim insurgents shifting to undermine Thailand's tourist industry while it is at an all time low in a 'kick em when they're down' campaign.

Or possibly a contrived dog and pony show for the media to show the world that Thailand is the hub of protecting tourists.

Mind you, strange to attack from the sea. Shouldn't the navy be handling this? smile.png

Well, this wouldn't have happened if the Navy had been allowed to buy the submarines they wanted a year or so back...

Under the photo it says 'Phuket's bomb disposal team are well equipped. Phuket News file photo'.

So like many others posts 30 and 31 make no sense at all.

Ok, I accept that. But why put a photo on the OP at all?. For dramatic illustration I guess. When reading further stories on this forum I will surely check to see whether or not the picture has anything to do with the 'story".

It's like those adverts that have minuscule writing saying 'full illustrative purposes only". Such ads are clearly designed to mislead but have to put that wording in for legal reasons.

• Like 1

More than likely a fish bomb used by illegal fishermen. Many many instances of this in Hong Kong and China. Could be nothing more sinister than that. The Bomb disposal guys look like they are up for the job, good to see...

Yes, if it is a bomb that sure seems a possible scenario, and much more likely than earlier mentioned options.

I don't believe it is a bomb though.

Edited by stevenl

Yes, if it is a bomb that sure seems a possible scenario, and much more likely than earlier mentioned options.

I don't believe it is a bomb though.

I guess you are partly right strictly speaking as it was an M67 grenade. smile.png Pictures in the link of the OP.

how is a box that floated in from the sea even remotely viewed as an explosive device..this place is insane , they better check it for Ebola at the same time

Read the report properly, and the note that the photo is a file photo, and you will understand it all.

Here we go.....

Many options if it is a bomb. Did you ever consider it is not a bomb? That seems far more likely than any of your explanations.

Why is the first option unlikely? There have already been a bomb in Phuket, it was just not reported in Thailand. But I agree let them find out if its a bomb, because the way they describe how it got on the beach sounds as incredible as any fairy tale I can think of.

Why would an insurent place a bomb in a plastic bag and put it in the sea, where he has no way of knowing where it will end, unless he is suddenly an expert on ocean currents. Further, how do you control when to make it explode if you do not know when it will reach shore - or if it will ever reach shore.

The insurgent seem to have no problem placing bombs on land and thereby control where and when to detonate them, so why change that?

Perhaps due to the unpredictability of the sea. The bomb could explode on the shore line, in the water and the exact location is anyone's guess.

Would you go anywhere near the water in Phuket? If it turns out to be a floating bomb? Maximum damage and unpredictability...