First Commercial Flight Lands On Suvarnabhmi Airport

george

I read in The Nation the flight would depart at 7.29 from Don Muang and land at Suwannaphum at 8.09. I understand the emphasis on 9 is for an auspicious future but why would the plane take so long, 40 minutes?

Wouldn't it be quicker to go by bus, and certainly cheaper?

Well quite apart from the fact that it is a test flight, and not a real commercial flight as such - the time taken and the cost is not the issue.

If you are considering in any way that you could get from the environs of Don Muang to the area around the new airport in anything under a couple of hours during the morning mayhem you haven't been driving in Bangkok traffic.

...this of course doesn't mean that any operator in their right mind would really make scheduled flights from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi in any case, but just indicating the point...

I guess you were speaking tongue-in-cheek... :o

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Don't play if you don't want to pay,' AoT president tells carriers

Airlines that are unhappy with the charges at Suvarnabhumi International Airport can choose not to use its facilities, according to the chief of the state-controlled Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT). ''If you are so unhappy (with airport charges), simply don't come,'' AoT president Chotisak Asapaviriya said in response to complaints by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) about the 15% rise in landing and parking charges at Bangkok's new airport. ''Stop intimidating us through the media and passing on half-truths to the public,'' he said in an interview. ''Don't forget that AoT has the obligation to pay back loans (amounting to around 73 billion baht :o ) and a daily loan interest payment of 24 million baht. :D

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/01Aug2006_biz25.php

------------------------------------------------------------

With that kind of attitude towards the airlines and that level of debt burden, I could easily see them bumping up the departure tax to 1200 baht.

Not too much of a stretch for the next headline to read:

'Don't play if you don't want to pay,' AoT president tells passengers

:D

Edited by sriracha john

'Don't play if you don't want to pay,' AoT president tells carriers

Airlines that are unhappy with the charges at Suvarnabhumi International Airport can choose not to use its facilities, according to the chief of the state-controlled Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT). ''If you are so unhappy (with airport charges), simply don't come,'' AoT president Chotisak Asapaviriya said in response to complaints by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) about the 15% rise in landing and parking charges at Bangkok's new airport. ''Stop intimidating us through the media and passing on half-truths to the public,'' he said in an interview. ''Don't forget that AoT has the obligation to pay back loans (amounting to around 73 billion baht :o ) and a daily loan interest payment of 24 million baht. :D

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/01Aug2006_biz25.php

------------------------------------------------------------

With that kind of attitude towards the airlines and that level of debt burden, I could easily see them bumping up the departure tax to 1200 baht.

Not too much of a stretch for the next headline to read:

'Don't play if you don't want to pay,' AoT president tells passengers

:D

You ask what kind of attitude is that? Look around, it is Thai logic, found on nothing but expediency and a live for today outlook! When certain carriers chose not to come, here and decide to go via Malaysia or Singapore, then perhaps the this ingnorant individual might have cause to reflect on his words, until then he won't!

I like too his line about Opec :

"Why don't they ask Opec (the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) to reduce oil prices?" Mr Chotisak asked.

It's tasty, isn't it ?

Who said that thai managers couldn't be confrontational ?

:o

I like too his line about Opec :

"Why don't they ask Opec (the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries) to reduce oil prices?" Mr Chotisak asked.

It's tasty, isn't it ?

Who said that thai managers couldn't be confrontational ?

:o

Those who know K. Chotsak know he doesn't take any crap, and the reality is that the Singaporean guy spreading complaints about AOT's massive 15% increase is also not mentioning:

- don muang fees have not increased in 10 years

- AOT's fees at the new airport are still lower than Singapore Malaysia or any others in the region

- that landing fees are 3-4% of the cost of running the airline (I am told) vs. the cost of oil which is 30% about

- the level of service at DM is not that great, and it had BETTER be better than this at Suvarnbhumi, especially for say security, and there is some cost to doing that

DM already has more airlines flying in, but some e.g. Quantas have far fewer flights coming here than going to Singapore. AOT wants them to come here, but why should they run a discount charley outfit, they aren't <deleted> ECC engrish teachers. Knowing that he is already talking to the major airlines and how much some of them are investing in lounges, unless things really go wrong you cannot see why someone would want to land at Singapore and Malaysia and pay more than they pay here?!

TO Marquess; he is FULLY aware of what he is saying, and he is right in saying it. You want him to discount the cost of landing fees to even less for no reason - guess you don't own shares in AOT then..... I don't know which is more amusing, the worst Thai logic I have ever heard or your logic in attacking Thai logic ROTFLOL

BTW..a few other things:

- flight across town would have been just about 15 minutes, but there was a tiki tour around the airport in the air, so press could take pretty pictures from the plane. yes you could take a bus, bike or whatever for less/faster time etc; objective was not to set a speed record

- distance from wireless rd e.g. US Ambassador residence is almost exactly the same from both airports; 31km (20 miles or thereabouts); people on northern side of the city are going to face longer commutes; southern and eastern will be shorter

- double access; can approach from Bang Na and also Rama 9; may reduce motorcade issue as exists at DM, but I doubt it

- many of the access ways within the airport open in the weekend will be shut or restricted by the time the airport gets going

Edited by steveromagnino

What he is essentially saying is if you don't like it tough go somewhere else.

With this arrogant attitude many airlines will stay away. Give me a break how can Thailand be a "hub" of anything if we have people like him in charge. All I know right now it is just a land of huba-huba :o

I could wish that K. Chotsak had pointed out that Don Muang fees have not increased in 10 years and that they're still lower than Singapore or Malaysia. I rather like teh fact that Thailand is still one of the few countries where the airport tax is obvious, rather than being built into the cost of a ticket.

Not good handling of a public comment there. Oh well.

1,200 Baht departure tax? That sounds WAY too much. Is this really true?

Without going back and checking all the posts, I think only the poster "boppia" is making this claim based on what he heard from a travel agent and then myself and others repeating it. But being his post seems to be completely riddled with mathematical and other errors, I'm having my doubts about how accurate that amount may be. I'd like to see some other independent posters verify or disprove this claim or Boppia to reply and maybe give us the name of the travel agent who's telling him this. The amount of increase seems to be excessive to me also.

Visa extension fees quadrupled a few years ago... 500 to 1900...

National Park entrance fees are doubling next month... 200 to 400...

Hugely excessive expenses with corruption in practically every facet of the airport... billions in unnecessary costs...

COMPLETELY BELIEVEABLE AND UNSURPRISING, given these considerations and examples of past actions, that it's been more than doubled to 1200 baht.

ha ha ha you are forgetting at important fact with that logic, all those things you mentioned are rate increases for foreigners not for Thais, this tax is for everyone, so your reasoning is a miss.

Without going back and checking all the posts, I think only the poster "boppia" is making this claim based on what he heard from a travel agent and then myself and others repeating it. But being his post seems to be completely riddled with mathematical and other errors, I'm having my doubts about how accurate that amount may be. I'd like to see some other independent posters verify or disprove this claim or Boppia to reply and maybe give us the name of the travel agent who's telling him this. The amount of increase seems to be excessive to me also.

Looks like we need to reconsider this one in the light of the many Pay Up Or Piss Off posts.

Not content with this attitude towards visitors, they want to annoy the Airlines that bring them to Thailand in the first place! Unbelievable! What next? "Just send us your landing fees and dont bother bringing your crappy foreign planes here?"

Of course because of the way the Thais are inexplicably spelling the new airports name , it will forever be mispronounced as Suvarnabhumi with an i at the end instead of the correct name which is SUVARNABHUM no "I"

Bit like the way they spell ON-NUT when it should be pronounced ON-NOOT.

On something as basic as getting the world to pronounce their new flagship airports name right , you would have thought someone would have noticed by now wouldn't you ?

TIT

First test flight lands, problems discovered

BANGKOK: -- The first commercial test flight at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport landed with caretaker Pime Minisiter Toxsin Sinamahkmahk on board. Airport officials were stunned when the plane landed successfuly. "We're going to have a full investigation of what happened," said head Engineer Ramit Sidvays, "The navigation beacon funtioned perfectly and radio guidance systems worked flawlessly despite the early warning scandel and corruption detection systems recently installed" The advanced technology had been designed to prevent such landings, by immediately shutting down all safety devices in situations like this. "We've invited the Prime Minister to fly in again several more times," Sidvay added, "this time with backup systems on board which will automatically disable all power to the aircraft on approach at approximately 1500 feet. Unfortunately, for this first test, the systems were too late: Upon landing, the caretaker PM's press secretary announced that the airport has just been sold to Singapore. PM Toxsin clarified that this was a good thing for all Thai people because it would give him the opportunity to afford more luxury vacations, so he would be spending much more time outside of Thailand. The crowd present erupted into spontaneous appluase and cheers, but were each then charged with disorderly conduct and fined 1 Billion Baht each. :D

This is supposed to be funny? I (and thousands others) landed there safely today, the welcoming committee for all passengers was really nice, it was obvious that a lot of people had worked very hard to get to this point, so I wonder, what the hel_l is wrong with people writing drivel like this??? Seriously, why don't you try to coordinate the building of an international airport? It's so easy, really ANYONE could do a better job than the current regime...Go back to your cabbage farm, jackass.

hey florin old son,

you really need to light'n up abit as you will give your self a <deleted> heart attack and end up in the freaking hospital. :D

granted that it was'nt the laugh of the century but still not bad for a bit of a giggle old mate. :D

look, here's ten baht that im going give you for free, off you go down to soi cowboy

and by yourself a bleeding sense of humour. cheers fella

ps if you ask chua real nice like he might just give you some off those cabbages considering he's got a whole farm of them. :D:o

I guess my reaction was kinda over the top, but it just pisses me off when hard work does not get just recognition...it was very obvious today that everyone involved had gone down a long path to get to this point and posts like this guy's make a mockery not just of Thaksin, but of everyone involved with the project. I mean, it's one thing to do political satire, it's quite another to piss all over the people who made something happen...I guess the jackals just can't handle the fact that things actually went quite OK today.

Sure, there are a ton of issues that need fixing, and they are rushing the opening for pure political gain, but it's still an achievement, goddammit. Why can't people just appreciate something?

cricky's florin,

sounds like you had a blue with the misses old fella.

dont let these females bring you down old mate or you end up writing all these angry posts as you doing.

at the end of the day you'll just get a killer headache and end up feeling real crook like.

look i got a top cracking idea for you ok.

A. go to the fridge, knock the head of a long neck and scull the bas--rd.

B. go to the cupboard, find your self a bex and wack that into you.

C. get into the bedroom and for god sake have a nice lay down.

D. now here's the money shot me old mate. you got to keep away from the missus for a while as its doing your noggin in.

E you'll feel better tomorrow old son.

look im just trying to help a fellow poster out here cobber as i recon you'd be a top bloke when your not bent and twisted. :D

chock dee kup my good man :D:D

Terry, you ever considered getting a job as a clown : . You obviously don't know the guy and you obviously don't have a [snip] clue about what you're talking about. [snip] ha ha ha ha, ho ho ho ho : [snip]

Insults edited out. Please keep it civil. /Meadish

oh deary me,

not even worth waisting cyber space on a reply. :D

think i'll leave this one in the hands of the mods. :D

Visa extension fees quadrupled a few years ago... 500 to 1900...

National Park entrance fees are doubling next month... 200 to 400...

Hugely excessive expenses with corruption in practically every facet of the airport... billions in unnecessary costs...

COMPLETELY BELIEVEABLE AND UNSURPRISING, given these considerations and examples of past actions, that it's been more than doubled to 1200 baht.

ha ha ha you are forgetting at important fact with that logic, all those things you mentioned are rate increases for foreigners not for Thais, this tax is for everyone, so your reasoning is a miss.

Actually the only one that DOESN'T apply to Thais is for visa extension fees. Their Park fees are doubling, as well. Lastly, I suspect they are responsible for the vast majority of corruption-added costs at the airport. Which is not to say that they won't try to recoup those costs through Foreigners and Thais alike.

Happy travels... :o

Khun Chokehissack is back for more verbal sparring:

AOT hits back at 'biased' IATA

The operator of Suvarnabhumi International Airport has hit back at "biased comments" about its readiness to open for full service on September 28.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) president Chotisak Asapaviriya said in a press statement issued yesterday that points raised by International Air Transport Association (IATA) corporate communications manager Albert Tjoeng were biased "because he seemed to have a certain agenda in mind when making them".

He said: "While Mr Tjoeng made these critical comments, which have circulated worldwide, he did not praise the success of the inaugural test flights in any way. Mr Tjoeng e-mailed his comments to international media and related aviation organisations immediately after the test flights showing his intention to discredit our airport."

"Furthermore, he didn't praise how well look both PM Thaksin AND myself looked on that glorious day." :o

Chotisak suggested these comments might be linked to the stiff competition, with several major airports vying to be the region's number one aviation hub. Tjoeng's career background, having worked in a senior position at Singapore's Changi Airport, cast doubt on his neutrality, he said.

Chotisak urged all local and international media to ensure fair coverage of Suvarnabhumi's upcoming opening.

"All parties should also bear in mind that AOT would be putting itself at risk if the opening is bungled and therefore would take the greatest care to ensure a smooth launch," he said.

"Furthermore, we would almost never put a publicity stunt like last week's pseudo-opening ahead of public safety." :D

Tjoeng, an ex-PR manager of Changi Airport, was quoted by Agence France-Presse as saying: "What is important is to have Suvarnabhumi Airport begin commercial operations only when it is operationally ready. This means having undergone the required robust comprehensive testing and trials to ensure that various systems are working 100 per cent and are seamlessly integrated."

Chotisak said AOT was fully aware of its responsibilities and welcomed legitimate comments from all concerned. He was confident it would resolve the remaining "small problems" before the opening date.

AOT has also had many discussions with IATA about the landing fee at the new airport. AOT has noted the rate covers improved convenience and infrastructure. Airlines will make significant savings on fuel because of shorter take-off and landing waiting times than those at Don Muang, Bangkok's other international airport.

The Nation