New requirements for proof of degree. Khurusapha

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if unopened official transcript are acceptable.

But it says to send the letter directly to them.

There must be a huge surplus of teachers since they keep increasing the difficulty level to teach in Thailand.

With the extra information they request I would say no. But worth asking!

Great, just what Thailand needs, more endless, bureacratic, pointless paperwork, plus, of course, additional costs for teachers to bear before they can teach. Education in Thailand is poor, English skills in Thailand are poor. Rather than making it more difficult to recruit, make it easier. I am sure most people here have some familiarity with the amont and varieity of docments, procedures, and processes needed to teach? It is discouraging.

As for the specific question of false qualifications, how about if you can teach, then you can teach. I have seen Philipine (no offense) teachers with certificates and degrees in English, who can just about construct a simple sentence. I have met old timers, even dead beat Australians, who have knowledge and experience, but are not allowed to teach because they have no "paper". What about grant to the schools the right to recruit and process work visas directly? Great, except for all those immig officials in all those embassies.

There must be a huge surplus of teachers since they keep increasing the difficulty level to teach in Thailand.

its time to check the degrees and skills of teachers, ( we parents pay a lot of money for them !! )

anyway most of them not teachers,

they mostly did some study,

or were just native Brits and speaking somohow english !

A teacher must have also pedagogic skills !! Exams !!

Than he is a teacher !!

Great, just what Thailand needs, more endless, bureacratic, pointless paperwork, plus, of course, additional costs for teachers to bear before they can teach. Education in Thailand is poor, English skills in Thailand are poor. Rather than making it more difficult to recruit, make it easier. I am sure most people here have some familiarity with the amont and varieity of docments, procedures, and processes needed to teach? It is discouraging.

As for the specific question of false qualifications, how about if you can teach, then you can teach. I have seen Philipine (no offense) teachers with certificates and degrees in English, who can just about construct a simple sentence. I have met old timers, even dead beat Australians, who have knowledge and experience, but are not allowed to teach because they have no "paper". What about grant to the schools the right to recruit and process work visas directly? Great, except for all those immig officials in all those embassies.

Had just some weeks ago a discussion with the Bss of english teachers in a famous school of my kids;

I also had some concerns about some Philipine english teachers in that school;

He told me relax:

They are tested, they are native english speakers when born,

and sometimes better in grammatic than an so called " English teacher from UK !!

Had just some weeks ago a discussion with the Bss of english teachers in a famous school of my kids;

I also had some concerns about some Philipine english teachers in that school;

He told me relax:

They are tested, they are native english speakers when born,

and sometimes better in grammatic than an so called " English teacher from UK !!

Can your kids speak, read and write English?

It's not just about grammar. At least the "so called English teacher "can instruct your children in correct pronunciation and sentence structure. Many non NES teachers cannot!

Also Filipinos are NOT native English speakers their spoken language is Tagalog (Filipino)

" Filipino is constitutionally designated as the national language of the Philippines and, along with English, one of two official languages"

Very over the top. They don't ask for these letters in the likes of s.Korea or Japan, who also pay more. Paranoid thais and simply a lack of recruitment skills in order to appoint someone decent into the roll. rather than go to all of that effort to actually judge if someone is a good egg or not they prefer to have a tick sheet and rely on that. So they 'can't go wrong'...

My friend is a private classical guitar teacher, has a levels but no degree, has been teaching for 12 years, speaks like stephen fry and is very intelligent and a very good teacher, as an English teacher he'd piss it.. He'd be the best english teacher issan has ever seen yet wouldn't get employed based on the fact that there is no one intelligent enough in these schools to have the confidence to employ someone based on merit and skill. Not that he'd ever want to work in LOS anyway but just a point that if he did, he couldn't. Boxed must be ticked and red tape must be followed

Being English speaking and born doesn't ensure, you are honest, you master your mother tongue language and you deserve a job of teaching. The chance are high you can't get a teaching job at your own country.

Time to clean Thailand from cheaters, they are not in one side, I would think there are more in farang side. False diplomas, false marriages, false bank accounts for visas, false education registration for Ed visa purposes etc....

It goes without mentioning big number of criminals running from justice in their countries....

Virtually all of American universities will not have a mechanism to reply to this request for "a letter." Thailand lacks a clue how this verification of degree works from USA. In my case, Mahidol U wanted a photocopy of my Ph.D. diploma, the "sheepskin" handed out on graduation day. This easily faked and not legal document is just wall candy. I had mine superbly framed and I got a copy company to copy it still in the frame.

What counts in usa is an "official grade transcript" that will show all degrees awarded, grades, and official name of degree holder. It must be requested by either the employer or the degree holder, with a fee of about $25, and is mailed to the stated, required address all sealed, often with return receipt requested card on it.

There ARE a few things Thailand can benefit from listening to expert foreigners.wai.gif

I would define a NES as someone that uses the language in daily life: at work and with friends.

Walking around the country the dominant language I would hear is English.

Philipino's may be good teachers and know grammar but I have never heard 2 Philipino's talking English together.

NES don't study grammar as much because they speak it daily.

From a functional view, they are not NES. I don't care what their government says.

If Filipinos are native English speakers then so are people from Singapore.

I think the official language of India is also English.

I would expect a teacher to have a higher degree than the students.

Would students studying for a Master's degree expect most their teachers to have a PhD?

Would you expect a university to hire lecturers that only have a bachelors degree?

Would you believe a university gives a quality education if they hired many teachers with only a bachelors degree? Maybe good teachers.

If I was a parent, I would not expect to pay someone to teach my child that only had a high school degree.

After 4 years teaching, Thailand is now requiring all teachers have education degrees or pass their qualification tests.

Or a lot of people with fake degrees making extra scrutiny necesarry.

And, when all you need to do is get someone from your claimed university country to make up a letterhead for stationary and envelope and simply write a letter. Transcripts can also be falsified--look online, there are degree mills which will even provide return-verification email or snailmail service, for a fee, of course.

Or a lot of people with fake degrees making extra scrutiny necesarry.

Rule breakers cause problems for honest people.

What is worse, they often feel justified believing they are a special exception to the rules.

if yu wanna foIIow every stupid ruIe go ahead, nobody is stopping you. Not everyone is a conformist. Everyone is different.

Let me spell out, again, more directly my thoughts on English teachers in Thailand.

a. Too much paperwork, costly and discourages teachers.

b. Allow schools to directly select, employ, and grant visas to teachers.

c. Rely primariliy on competence, not degrees for teachers.

Having said that, yes, great if you have a degree, a taeching diploma, previous experience, etc, but none of those automatically mean that you are a good teacher. Vice verse, there are many people without even a degree, who could teach English well in Thailand.

What a bunch of cry-baby biggoted baggers.

You uphold the virtues of uneducated farang teachers and defame the virtues of educated Filipino teachers. Certainly, anyone who can speak some English--even a bar-girl--can teach a few words of English to someone who speaks no English. Of course, there must be some uneducated NES teachers who do a good job, but to what depth can they teach the language and how many utter failures did the system go through to gain that few?

The Thais are trying to develop better educational systems for their children. Requiring educational standards for teachers is a step in the right direction.

Look at the written English displayed by TV posters--the vast majority of whom are NES and several even claim to be teachers. Far too many cannot put together a simple post without grammar or spelling errors. Is that the type of English competency you want for teachers of your child, or are you just trying to justify work in Thailand for an NES farang?

After 4 years teaching, Thailand is now requiring all teachers have education degrees or pass their qualification tests.

The last I heard it was 2 years, is it 4 years now? Doubt it'll be enforced as I'm yet to hear of a case yet where it has been.

Let me spell out, again, more directly my thoughts on English teachers in Thailand.

a. Too much paperwork, costly and discourages teachers.

b. Allow schools to directly select, employ, and grant visas to teachers.

c. Rely primariliy on competence, not degrees for teachers.

Having said that, yes, great if you have a degree, a taeching diploma, previous experience, etc, but none of those automatically mean that you are a good teacher. Vice verse, there are many people without even a degree, who could teach English well in Thailand.

The logic is the employer should have full discretion who to hire.

A hospital should be allowed to hire anybody as a doctor if the hospital feels they can do the job.

Correct?

Not all people graduating from medical school are good doctors.

Someone without a medical degree could diagnosis most illnesses.

Should someone working as a doctor with a degree get the same salary as someone with the degree.

The last I heard it was 2 years, is it 4 years now? Doubt it'll be enforced as I'm yet to hear of a case yet where it has been.

Most schools in bkk can't get a work permit for teachers after 2 waivers.

Exception can get 3rd waiver at same school as second waiver or enrolled in a program to get education degree.

Due to Thailand's poor record keeping or getting new passport some people's records of previous waivers was lost.

Started enforcement last year.

For Uk applicants, copies of transcripts etc can ONLY be sent to a UK address- no exceptions. I don't even know if they would send out an individual letter. I doubt it. There is a set way to request verification and sending it outside the Uk to Thailand is not one of them.

Did any body from Krusapa take the time to even check this?

It gets better and better. w00t.gif

With the extra information they request I would say no. But worth asking!

Thailand is just trying to get on a MOE "regulations" par level with Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore & Vietnam, in preparation for ASEAN. Thailand has been accused of "dropping the ball", and is now hastily trying to (ahem) Save Face ,as usual whistling.gif

Archived