BANGKOK 25 May 2019 16:10

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

casualbiker

New requirements for proof of degree. Khurusapha

What a bunch of cry-baby biggoted baggers.

You uphold the virtues of uneducated farang teachers and defame the virtues of educated Filipino teachers. Certainly, anyone who can speak some English--even a bar-girl--can teach a few words of English to someone who speaks no English. Of course, there must be some uneducated NES teachers who do a good job, but to what depth can they teach the language and how many utter failures did the system go through to gain that few?

The Thais are trying to develop better educational systems for their children. Requiring educational standards for teachers is a step in the right direction.

Look at the written English displayed by TV posters--the vast majority of whom are NES and several even claim to be teachers. Far too many cannot put together a simple post without grammar or spelling errors. Is that the type of English competency you want for teachers of your child, or are you just trying to justify work in Thailand for an NES farang?

grammar ???? try grammatical

Great ! My school sent my documents off today to renew my teaching permit! Hope it doesn't get rejected. I graduated 30 years ago, it is not going to be easy to get a letter from my university and then tell them what they have to write, make sure it is stamped with the seal and then put it in a sealed envelope and then what? Send to me to take the sealed envelope to Krusapa? Or do the university have to send it direct to Krusapa who will no doubt lose it ( that's if it arrives - with the great Thai postal system) or be unable to tie it up with the relevant paperwork, which by then will be massive with numerous pending teaching permit applications?? I think for those teaching Maths and Sciences a need to ensure they know and are qualified in their subject is important, but for a native speaker to go through these hoops to teach English is a bit excessive!!!!

The only people who are going to suffer from this are the children. I do not agree with all this degree business, How does me having a degree in cake making make me a better English teacher, unless I've got it wrong , but it's seem to me they want a degree in anything.

You uphold the virtues of uneducated farang teachers and defame the virtues of educated Filipino teachers. Certainly, anyone who can speak some English--even a bar-girl--can teach a few words of English to someone who speaks no English. Of course, there must be some uneducated NES teachers who do a good job, but to what depth can they teach the language and how many utter failures did the system go through to gain that few?

The Thais are trying to develop better educational systems for their children. Requiring educational standards for teachers is a step in the right direction.

Look at the written English displayed by TV posters--the vast majority of whom are NES and several even claim to be teachers. Far too many cannot put together a simple post without grammar or spelling errors. Is that the type of English competency you want for teachers of your child, or are you just trying to justify work in Thailand for an NES farang?

So if you wanted your children to learn English and you had a choice between a Thai national who had a degree in English communication and a native speaker you would choose the Thai with the degree, right? Hmmmm i wonder ??

This will sort out the wannabe teachers from the real ones.

Good job ...

I guess a lot of the local bars will see a drop in cheap Charlie's.

Great ! My school sent my documents off today to renew my teaching permit! Hope it doesn't get rejected. I graduated 30 years ago, it is not going to be easy to get a letter from my university and then tell them what they have to write, make sure it is stamped with the seal and then put it in a sealed envelope and then what? Send to me to take the sealed envelope to Krusapa? Or do the university have to send it direct to Krusapa who will no doubt lose it ( that's if it arrives - with the great Thai postal system) or be unable to tie it up with the relevant paperwork, which by then will be massive with numerous pending teaching permit applications?? I think for those teaching Maths and Sciences a need to ensure they know and are qualified in their subject is important, but for a native speaker to go through these hoops to teach English is a bit excessive!!!!

People who never went to university generally expect to earn less than college graduates and less opportunities in their own country.

People who studied history don't expect the same salary ir opportunuties as those that studied engineering and science.

Maybe someone with no formal education is excellent at math.

A university degree shows you can follow directions and pursue a long term course of study.

My experience is that the NES teaching 3rd grade ESL expects the same salary as the calculus teacher.

But he feels it is justified to pay Filipino teachers and Thai teachers with university degrees half the salary of a NES.

Interesting that it always works in their benefit and never for anybody else.

People without degrees wouldn't expect much in their own country but expect equal treatment compared to engineer degrees in Thailand.

USA don't do this - it would require a FTE to handle this....

That is why they give you an original quality diploma...

It is the equivalent of not accepting a passport and want another step of proof to make up for the lack of skillful HR people...

CB

SMOTHERB ~ You are absolutely correct about the grammar abilities of many TV forum posters. But, try to be a bit more generous. Many of the TV participating posters, have learned English as a 2nd., or even 3rd. language. Many of them possess a better English "speaking" vocabulary than many Brits, or Americans have. So give them an "E" for having made the effort, at least. OK?

FYI ~ The British began teaching English in Thailand (Rama IV) in 1852. That's 7O years before they officially began to teach English, in their own SEA colonies of Burma, Malaya, and Singapore, in 1922. Thailand agreed to, and signed the ASEAN Treaty (about 40-years ago), which specifically stated that English was the median language of communication exchange, between member nations (info received from a Sino-Thai, of the era).

Bangkok (due to it's central geographical location) was slated to be the Capitol City (Hub) of ASEAN. Thailand built a First World Infra-structure, throughout Thailand, then promptly went back to sleep, like Brair Rabbit, in the "Hare and the Turtle" fable?

If the "powers-that-be" in the Thai MOE were so diligently concerned about the quality level of Thai children's education, then consider this: why is it, that after 163-years of teaching English, in the literally hundreds of colleges and universities throughout Thailand, that foreign visitors to Thailand, are hard-pressed to find a Bangkok Thai person (even with a university degree) who can speak even basic English, even @ both International Airports? Something is definitely wrong in the LOS, re: the general cognitive processing ability, within the Thai MOE. Capiche?

People who never went to university generally expect to earn less than college graduates and less opportunities in their own country.

People who studied history don't expect the same salary or opportunuties as those that studied engineering and science.

Maybe someone with no formal education is excellent at math. Possible but less likely.

A university degree shows you can follow directions and pursue a long term course of study.

Are there bad teachers with degrees sure.

My experience is that the NES teaching 3rd grade ESL expects the same salary as the calculus teacher.

But he feels it is justified to pay Filipino teachers and Thai teachers with university degrees half the salary of a NES.

People without degrees wouldn't expect much in their own country but expect equal treatment compared to engineer degrees in Thailand.

Is being NES enough to teach English?

Only need higher qualifications for the physics and math teacher but similar salaries?

How should NES salary company with university graduate Thai salary?

Grammar errors, my friend, are errors in grammar.

Great, just what Thailand needs, more endless, bureacratic, pointless paperwork, plus, of course, additional costs for teachers to bear before they can teach. Education in Thailand is poor, English skills in Thailand are poor. Rather than making it more difficult to recruit, make it easier. I am sure most people here have some familiarity with the amont and varieity of docments, procedures, and processes needed to teach? It is discouraging.

As for the specific question of false qualifications, how about if you can teach, then you can teach. I have seen Philipine (no offense) teachers with certificates and degrees in English, who can just about construct a simple sentence. I have met old timers, even dead beat Australians, who have knowledge and experience, but are not allowed to teach because they have no "paper". What about grant to the schools the right to recruit and process work visas directly? Great, except for all those immig officials in all those embassies.

I was right with you until that part.

No way can dead beat Australians teach.

Greeks, Finnish, even the odd Honduran I would trust, but not an aged Australian.cheesy.gif

When those in "hire or fire" positions have no ability to tell the sh*t from shinola, a fall back procedure is to require some document (license, diploma, envelope of money) and thereby avoid decision making responsibility. They are certificate mad here in Thailand, and once you have that it seems to make little difference whether you can perform or not.

Wait a minute, did someone above say that a British speaker can speak English and so can automatically teach better than Filipinos? But why do I, an American, struggle to understand so many British-English speakers? I feel sorry for people who have to learn English from native speakers with strong accents. I have often been complimented in the five countries I have taught for my clear, paced, and easy to understand English. I learned that by speaking English around the world in my job. A person who is a native speaker must learn to speak clearly without local native slang and euphemisms. I have met several native English teachers who I struggled to understand. I wonder what the students think of them when they get one accent one time and a different accent the next time 'round.

" But why do I, an American, struggle to understand so many British-English speakers?"

You answered your own question. It's because your American!

" I have met several native English teachers who I struggled to understand. I wonder what the students think of them when they get one accent one time and a different accent the next time 'round"

They learn that there are many accents in use around the world. Just because in conversation with another NES you had trouble understanding them doesn't mean that's how they speak in class.

But I do agree that people should try and balance their spoken English.

Virtually all of American universities will not have a mechanism to reply to this request for "a letter." Thailand lacks a clue how this verification of degree works from USA. In my case, Mahidol U wanted a photocopy of my Ph.D. diploma, the "sheepskin" handed out on graduation day. This easily faked and not legal document is just wall candy. I had mine superbly framed and I got a copy company to copy it still in the frame.

What counts in usa is an "official grade transcript" that will show all degrees awarded, grades, and official name of degree holder. It must be requested by either the employer or the degree holder, with a fee of about $25, and is mailed to the stated, required address all sealed, often with return receipt requested card on it.

There ARE a few things Thailand can benefit from listening to expert foreigners.wai.gif

wowwwww, i recall using a sheepskin condom,,, i hope that wasn't your diploma sad.png

no hard feelings ??

People who studied history don't expect the same salary or opportunuties as those that studied engineering and science.

Maybe someone with no formal education is excellent at math. Possible but less likely.

Are there bad teachers with degrees sure.

Is being NES enough to teach English?

Only need higher qualifications for the physics and math teacher but similar salaries?

How should NES salary company with university graduate Thai salary?

the higher salaries for foreign teachers is not because they deserve more then thai teachers, its because Thai teachers are way underpaid and most foreigners would not teach for such little salary.