New requirements for proof of degree. Khurusapha

What a bunch of cry-baby biggoted baggers.

You uphold the virtues of uneducated farang teachers and defame the virtues of educated Filipino teachers. Certainly, anyone who can speak some English--even a bar-girl--can teach a few words of English to someone who speaks no English. Of course, there must be some uneducated NES teachers who do a good job, but to what depth can they teach the language and how many utter failures did the system go through to gain that few?

The Thais are trying to develop better educational systems for their children. Requiring educational standards for teachers is a step in the right direction.

Look at the written English displayed by TV posters--the vast majority of whom are NES and several even claim to be teachers. Far too many cannot put together a simple post without grammar or spelling errors. Is that the type of English competency you want for teachers of your child, or are you just trying to justify work in Thailand for an NES farang?

Yes this maybe very laudable, and the idea is to raise standards which I fully agree with, however the pay must be commensurate with the qualifications.

The reality is, It is highly unlikely a fully qualified NES teacher will work for 30-40k. Only the top private schools and the International school's pay the salary that a fully qualified teacher will accept. These requirements just perpetuate an elitist education system, where only the wealthy will have any type of NES teacher.

From your post it is clear you are in favor of an elitist education where poorer people will have no access to any kind of English instruction from an NES person, because you can be guaranteed the Government schools will not be paying the 90k plus that is required to get a fully qualified NES teacher.

How do you see having Filipinos, with proper teaching credentials and who would gladly work for the B30-40k, as being elitist? The Thais do not need NES qualified teachers; the Thai English is very poor. Once the Thais can speak English to the level of the Filipinos, the Thais may be able to fully appreciate qualified NES teachers.

Answer... a colonial response.. WM syndrome...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only people who are going to suffer from this are the children. I do not agree with all this degree business, How does me having a degree in cake making make me a better English teacher, unless I've got it wrong , but it's seem to me they want a degree in anything. smile.png

I have had my degree verified a couple of times. It is due to the number of people with fake degrees so I can understand it. Makes things more difficult for those of us with proper degrees but something has to be done.

• 4 months later...
On 29/10/2557 at 5:25 PM, brianp0803 said:

I would define a NES as someone that uses the language in daily life: at work and with friends.

Walking around the country the dominant language I would hear is English.

Philipino's may be good teachers and know grammar but I have never heard 2 Philipino's talking English together.

NES don't study grammar as much because they speak it daily.

From a functional view, they are not NES. I don't care what their government says.

If Filipinos are native English speakers then so are people from Singapore.

I think the official language of India is also English.

I would expect a teacher to have a higher degree than the students.

Would students studying for a Master's degree expect most their teachers to have a PhD?

Would you expect a university to hire lecturers that only have a bachelors degree?

Would you believe a university gives a quality education if they hired many teachers with only a bachelors degree? Maybe good teachers.

If I was a parent, I would not expect to pay someone to teach my child that only had a high school degree.

After 4 years teaching, Thailand is now requiring all teachers have education degrees or pass their qualification tests.

Well, some uni do in fact employ BA or BS grads to teach English ..the out clause especially in non-BKK areas, no one is applying with proper credentials  or degrees. Thus even the unis break their own guidelines.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/10/2557 at 0:20 PM, aidenai said:

The provisional teaching permit is a requirement for both WP.1 and WP.5.

How come my collegue, a NES, does not need a waiver from KSP? 

At the Labour Dept., they demanded such a waiver from both of us. but then his WP was accepted without one. while I'm in Bangkok to apply. 

As for fake degrees, they should take a good look at folks from another continent...

8 hours ago, onlycw said:

How come my collegue, a NES, does not need a waiver from KSP?

It's a requirement for both WP.1 and WP.5. Download the forms from the website of DOE and you'll see.

I don't need a waiver as I have a teacher license.

If your colleague doesn't need one, he also might have a teacher license, or has a job title covering educational personnel but not registered as a teacher or Labour thinks he's working in an OHEC or ONIE school.

On 9/11/2016 at 8:25 PM, aidenai said:

It's a requirement for both WP.1 and WP.5. Download the forms from the website of DOE and you'll see.

I don't need a waiver as I have a teacher license.

If your colleague doesn't need one, he also might have a teacher license, or has a job title covering educational personnel but not registered as a teacher or Labour thinks he's working in an OHEC or ONIE school.

We have the same job and the same employer. No TL, but he has a different job description in the WP.1 application. "Media" something

So there might be a trick others can use who can't get another waiver?

So there might be a trick others can use who can't get another waiver?

There is.

The trick is to use Reason of Necessity 2.7 Educational Personnel of the Immigration Order 327/2557.

However, the school, private or government, must have enough 'power' to hire educational personnel.

On 3/23/2016 at 4:09 PM, Chaz1819 said:

Have had my Thai teaching license for a few years and thought the headaches were all behind me. Then came today.

Took my renewed work permit, usual documents (including teaching license) into Jomtien Immigration to renew my visa .... I got the Thai kiss of death .... "Cannot, there is a new rule"

Have to have your degree authenticated at your embassy. Not sure about other embassy's, but US won't authenticate documents.

Time for plan B

Could you just get an affidavit "verifying" it? 

9 hours ago, chakeeoyen said:

Could you just get an affidavit "verifying" it? 

Two USA colleagues of mine did that when converting a tourist visa into a non-immigrant B. Accepted by Immigration. Might be accepted by KSP as they both also got their provisional teaching permits. However, not sure as perhaps there wasn't asked for.

18 hours ago, aidenai said:

There is.

The trick is to use Reason of Necessity 2.7 Educational Personnel of the Immigration Order 327/2557.

However, the school, private or government, must have enough 'power' to hire educational personnel.

Immigration has nothing to do with waivers, and if you read the above document, one of the forms to be supplied is licence/waiver.

34 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Immigration has nothing to do with waivers, and if you read the above document, one of the forms to be supplied is licence/waiver.

My reply was an answer to post #128. Read is again.

You should do the same with reading 327/2557 Reason of Necessity 2.7. Let me help you there.

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non­immigrant visa (NON­IM).

(2) The particular educational institution receives permission to establish said educational institution issued by the relevant government agency

(3) Must have been confirmed and requested by the particular educational institution.

(4) In case of educational personnel, the alien must have degree or experience that meet the work requirement and the ratio of alien employees shall not exceed 10 percent of teachers or instructors in a particular education institution.

Subsequently read 138/2557 describing  the 'supporting documents'. 

Archived