Phuket mafia buster slams social media critics

webfact

Phuket mafia buster slams social media critics
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1414573457_1-org.jpg
Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin: Social media comments may be fun, but watch what you say.

PHUKET: -- The leader of the special anti-mafia task force in Phuket, Pol Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin, has been transferred out to a new post as Deputy Commissioner of Provincial Police Region 8, based in Surat Thani but with special responsibility for fighting crime in neighbouring Nakhon Sri Thammarat Province.

In an exclusive interview with The Phuket News as he left, he fired a blast at comments on social media about police work, especially over the handling of the Koh Tao murders, an investigation in which he was belatedly involved.

Police have been stung by an avalanche of criticism and conspiracy theories on social media over the case, and Gen Paween warned that anyone posting unsubstantiated criticism on social media risked facing legal action.

“For example, in [former Patong Mayor] Pian Keesin’s case comments were posted in various social media. In the end these people may receive calls from the police.

“Posting or commenting on social media may seem like a lot of fun, but it is not so much fun when you are summoned by police to answer criminal charges.

“I was ordered to follow up the Koh Tao murders case in October. I want to say that I am not worried about anything [being found wrong in the investigation]. Everything was done according to the law.”

The work Gen Paween started in Phuket 10 months ago, investigating taxi mafia and illegal occupation of public beaches will continue, he said.

Phuket Police Commander Maj Gen Pachara Boonyasit has confirmed this, adding “Black and illegal taxis and sunbed operators must be become extinct.”

Gen Paween recalled, “I and my team of 10 worked in Phuket from January 2014. [Former Region 8 Commissioner Lt Gen Panya Mamen] put me on the case because tourist were being intimidated.

“The most important thing was the black taxis. It was difficult to work with. I spent about three months investigating. In the end I arrested 113 people in 116 cases.

“I can confirm that the sunbed operators cannot be on the public beaches. There is no exception. Karon Mayor Thawee Thongcham and other officials will punished by law [for their involvement].

“Plus, the jet-skis should not be a beach activity because the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages. There are always problems that damage our national image. Parasailing, too. If they still carry on [breaking the law by operating from the beach] then the [municipal official] who gives them the go-ahead must be punished.”

He added, “All the follow-up tasks will be taken care of by the new Phuket Commander. I believe he can do this effectively. I hope people will follow all these tasks so that people will have faith in the police.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-mafia-buster-slams-social-media-critics-49394.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-29

I think the good Major General needs to put the focus onto catching actual real criminals that do harm to Thailand and its people, rather than chasing down and arresting people for their comments on social media.

The first is serious, the second not so much.

• Like 1

And THIS is the much lauded and then lamented guy's 'adieu'? Wha' happen'? He was told 'You mus' moo now, bu' we gi' yoo somewhere elt yoo working bu' firs' yoo mus' shu' yoo mout' ? Freaking hilarious! laugh.png

Never mind you all. I am sure this crapolla will all work out for the best w00t.gif

I'm afraid this poor, precious soul needs to get a grip on reality.

After what seems to be an eternity of police ineptitude, corruption and laziness, does he really think that people will believe there's been a sudden change of heart and that the RTP have had an overnight conversion to ethics, honesty and integrity?

He should just be doing his job, going about his duties in a professional manner, ignoring the well-justified criticisms and hoping that, one day perhaps, he and his RTP brethren will have EARNED the respect of those they are sworn to protect and serve, instead of whingeing like a schoolgirl.................

Ingenu much? laugh.png

“Gen Paween warned that anyone posting unsubstantiated criticism on social media risked facing legal action.”

“In the end these people may receive calls from the police.”

Having delusions of grandeur? Dictator Mini Me?

“I was ordered to follow up the Koh Tao murders case in October.”

Perhaps, in the future you will be summoned to answer criminal charges

“I want to say that I am not worried about anything [being found wrong in the investigation]. Everything was done according to the law.” wai2.gif wai.gif

That say’s it all. Next.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones…

And THIS is the much lauded and then lamented guy's 'adieu'? Wha' happen'? He was told 'You mus' moo now, bu' we gi' yoo somewhere elt yoo working bu' firs' yoo mus' shu' yoo mout' ? Freaking hilarious! laugh.png

Never mind you all. I am sure this crapolla will all work out for the best w00t.gif

What is this, can't write legible anymore?

Jet Ski scams are still ongoing and in Patong Beach they did not clear the beach. They just moved back from the shore close to the walk way and still touting tourists. What umbrella/chair operators have to do with crimes ? 4 and 5 star hotels hosting families with toddlers and babies let on the beach without sunshade under 40 degree sun at 12:00 does not seem a good idea at all for an international tourist destination. On the other side, thugs are allowed to continue their unnecessary scams. I do not see any fair and logical action taken here. This morning walking along Patong between 9:00 and 10:00, I've been stopped 5 times by time share f u c k i n g harassers. No police anywhere. No one b l o o d y policeman patrolling and everyday the very same 2 farangs ride on a scooter looking for their victims. Stricter measures for tourist safety ? Good propaganda for not losing face, that's all it is about.

• Like 1

Maj Gen Paween Pongsirin, you and your goons (police friends) can come and knock on my door anytime, your attitude is why no one trusts the RTP, you act like a dictator. It has been shown many times how poor the RTP investigate, your attitude is one reason why they are so bad. You should take the criticism and use it to improve. I truly hope you read this and come knocking, I am ready. In a civilised, democratic country your own senior officers would be having a very strong talk about your attitude. As for the Koh Tao murders, the whole world, except for the RTP and the PM, knows the investigate was poorly done.

Edited by MediaWatcher
  • Like 2

cekipa, on 30 Oct 2014 - 12:56, said:

Jet Ski scams are still ongoing and in Patong Beach they did not clear the beach. They just moved back from the shore close to the walk way and still touting tourists. What umbrella/chair operators have to do with crimes ? 4 and 5 star hotels hosting families with toddlers and babies let on the beach without sunshade under 40 degree sun at 12:00 does not seem a good idea at all for an international tourist destination. On the other side, thugs are allowed to continue their unnecessary scams. I do not see any fair and logical action taken here. This morning walking along Patong between 9:00 and 10:00, I've been stopped 5 times by time share f u c k i n g harassers. No police anywhere. No one b l o o d y policeman patrolling and everyday the very same 2 farangs ride on a scooter looking for their victims. Stricter measures for tourist safety ? Good propaganda for not losing face, that's all it is about.

Generally, since the coup, nothing has really changed, I say this for all of Thailand, not only Phuket. On Phuket we have seen the removal of deckchairs and umbrellas, and a few restaurants removed, the major things, eg tuk tuks, taxis, jet skis, parasailors and of course corruption, still remain, in fact, taxi fares have gone up. So far the new governor is proving to be as useless as the last. And here we have a senior officer threatening people who complain about the police. I am willing to bet, very soon deck chairs, umbrellas, and restaurants will return.

I heard from a friend that he actually tried to get rid of jet ski scammers....he then asked for all of the scammers bank books, they refused to surrender them, then the General was swiftly transferred.......maybe the higher ups didn't really wanted him to do anything.

• Like 1

templedog, on 30 Oct 2014 - 15:28, said:

I heard from a friend that he actually tried to get rid of jet ski scammers....he then asked for all of the scammers bank books, they refused to surrender them, then the General was swiftly transferred.......maybe the higher ups didn't really wanted him to do anything.

He was gaining some respect by appearing to taking on the scammers, however, with this outburst and threatening to take action against those who complain about the police, he has lost all respect, he should have kept his mouth shut and gone quietly, unless he actually thinks it's ok to execute two, possibly innocent, men.

I didn't know he was Scottish!

• Like 1

This is very close to what has gone down... I heard a few months back that the Region 8 plod commander was a 100% good cop, and will make a difference, hence now he has had to be moved sideways just as things were getting interesting, maybe some BiG Cheese/s above was worried about the envelope flow system, is really just a matter of 'Flow Control'

Back in Patong next week will have a shifty at how many Jet Ski's and Parasailing I don't see as they are not allowed to operate from a public beach... that will be after I paid the new Taxi rate from the International Airport (may even have enough Bhat to ease my waiting time at immigration?)

Yes Welcome To Amazing Thailand! wai2.gif

Studied English in Glasgae? (Glasgow)