Phuket road rage shooting suspect surrenders

Lite Beer

Phuket road rage shooting suspect surrenders
Saran Mitrarat

1414907831_1-org.jpg

Gen Patchara with mugshot of Suwat on Friday. File photo

PHUKET: Suwat Saejong, 62, wanted for shooting dead motorbike taxi driver Chaliao Piyapakul on Thursday morning (October 30), has surrendered to police, Phuket Provincial Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit confirmed this morning (November 2).

A warrant for the arrest of Suwat, a resident of Kathu, was issued on Friday after he was identified as the probable shooter in what was apparently a case of road rage.

“He rode his motorbike alone to the police station this morning,” Gen Patchara told The Phuket News. “Police are now questioning him and typing up the case report.”

More details are expected later today.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-rage-shooting-suspect-surrenders-49452.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-02

According to the Phuket news this guy has aged 2 years since their first report.

I know it's off topic but I've noticed this many times with local news sources. PW said 62 as did the Gazette.

Why is it so difficult to report the correct details?

Anyway, glad to see he's off the streets and can't "loose it" with anyone else.

My thoughts are with the victims family.sad.png

Phuket road rage shooter re-enacts killing

Eakkapop Thongtub

1414915526_1-org.jpg

Suwat shows police how he took careful aim at Chaliao Piyapakul.

PHUKET: Suwat Saejong, 62, who has admitted shooting dead motorbike taxi driver Chaliao Piyapakul on Thursday morning (October 30), took part this afternoon (November 2) in a re-enactment of the killing in the place where it happened.

He was also taken by police, led by Provincial Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit, to the banana plantation near the Phuket Finance Bureau, where he dumped his gun, a Glock 9mm, after the shooting.

Suwat said he surrendered this morning when he learned that a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

Asked why he shot Chaliao, Suwat explained that they had got into an argument on the road when Chaliao had tried to overtake him. “I could see there was not enough space to do that, so I said, ‘Are you crazy? You can’t do that.’

“He replied, ‘You’re the one who’s f***ing crazy, not me.”

At a red light at the WorKor intersection, Chaliao parked his motorbike and told his son, who was on the back, to get out of the way. He then walked towards Suwat.

“I was so angry at that moment that I decided to shoot. Afterwards I went and hid in the banana plantation,” he added.

“I am really sorry to have caused this situation – especially right in front of his son,” he said.

Asked why he was carrying a gun in public, he answered, “Actually, I love to practice shooting at a shooting range. On that day, I was taking the gun back to my house in Thalang.”

Suwat has been charged with murder and with carrying a firearm in public without a licence.

Police have denied him bail while he awaits trial.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-road-rage-shooter-re-enacts-killing-49456.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-01

Say what you will but I really like the re-enactments and the fact the guilty spill their guts completely.

It provides a nice insight into the Thai psyche...essentially that these guys act totally on impulse.

The process also provides a sense of closure.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

Of course his lawyer was present when he reenacted the shooting.

Why should he be? The suspect chose to confess without representation.

Same thing happens in the US everyday.

Perhaps your sympathies should not lie with a cold-blooded killer but with the deceased's young son who witnessed his fathers execution.

Chaliao had tried to overtake him. I could see there was not enough space to do that, so I said, Are you crazy? You cant do that.

He replied, Youre the one whos f***ing crazy, not me.

...so he shot him in the head at the next red light in broad daylight in front of a lot of people including his infant son.

Jesus Christ. This sort of thing shouldn't shock me anymore cuz it's happened in our village quite recently to a 13 year kid, but I'm glad that it does still shock me.

Edited by KunMatt

Suwat said he surrendered this morning when he learned that a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

I see, so the outstanding warrant was the motivation for coming in and not the fact that he had done murder. Hope the judge takes that into consideration during sentencing.

The trial should be short & sweet.

I see, so the outstanding warrant was the motivation for coming in and not the fact that he had done murder. Hope the judge takes that into consideration during sentencing.

If he pleads guilty then any sentence is automatically cut in half.

Good to see he was denied bail

His last years of his life are not going to be pleasant

I have heard stories of theses prisons they are not luxury,

I think the death penalty is to easy let him suffer in jail

Why, in Thailand, in situations like this, where the culprit has admitted the crime of murder, and will inevitibly receive a long prison sentence, should the subject of bail ever be raised.

Bail should NEVER be given in such situations, no matter who the person is or who he knows.

• Like 1

Anyone who thinks Thailand isn't dangerous isn't paying attention. It is ranked #3 in the world for gun murders per capita behind only Colombia and S. Africa who are mired in violence.

Do not have any confrontation with Thais.

LINK

thos eNationmaster 'stats' have been discounted as incorrect/false so many times on this and other forums, yet people persist in quoting them

over 20,000 firearms homicides in Thailand per year? Garbage

Do you really think that if there were over 55 A DAY it would not make news?

I would rather rely on United Nations stats - which show that in 2011

There were 5.3 murders by firearms per 100,000 people in Thailand in 2011 - United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime

so, 53 per million, if there were as many as 65 million here, that is about 3300 deaths by firearm. Not 20,000+

Still high - roughly over 60 per week.

Even a Death sentence ??

Even a Death sentence ??

My understanding is that a death penalty would be reduced to life if plead guilty.