Aussie jogger fights off would-be Phuket rapist

Lite Beer

I just get repelled when a bunch of guys get together after an attempted rape and start passing judgement - 'yeah, she was wearing shorts for #@$!* sake', and 'what was she doing wearing those shorts on THAT road?'.

In Thailand, it's worse than that, any young woman on her own, of any nationality, at any time, is risking rape.

You need to be aware of the risks when in a foreign country.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I agree that everyone in a foreign country needs to be careful about what they do where. Especially women. I have seen Western women wearing little ripped denim shorts in back country Malaysia where local women are wearing full Muslim dress. Thats just stupid and insensitive.

So I can see your point.

But there was a hotel 150 m away. Is that secluded or remote? The road is described as quiet in the report.

I dont know. This can happen anywhere in the world I guess.

I just get repelled when a bunch of guys get together after an attempted rape and start passing judgement - 'yeah, she was wearing shorts for #@$!* sake', and 'what was she doing wearing those shorts on THAT road?'.

It all leads to that age old chestnut 'well then, she was asking for it'.

And thats just rubbish.

If I am walking around with a wad of cash hanging out of my pockets then my actions play a role in the event I am robbed.

Did I deserve to get robbed? No. However, my actions were contributory to my becoming a victim. I would say your post could be interpreted as sexist.

I just have a thing about armchair experts and post hoc judgements. And revictimising people.

You can whack a label on the post if you want and dodge its point (and misrepresent the motivation).

But its funny cos mostly I get accused of being a bit of a misogynist.

• Like 1

Ok I agree that everyone in a foreign country needs to be careful about what they do where. Especially women. I have seen Western women wearing little ripped denim shorts in back country Malaysia where local women are wearing full Muslim dress. Thats just stupid and insensitive.

So I can see your point.

But there was a hotel 150 m away. Is that secluded or remote? The road is described as quiet in the report.

I dont know. This can happen anywhere in the world I guess.

It all leads to that age old chestnut 'well then, she was asking for it'.

And thats just rubbish.

If I am walking around with a wad of cash hanging out of my pockets then my actions play a role in the event I am robbed.

Did I deserve to get robbed? No. However, my actions were contributory to my becoming a victim. I would say your post could be interpreted as sexist.

I just have a thing about armchair experts and post hoc judgements. And revictimising people.

You can whack a label on the post if you want and dodge its point (and misrepresent the motivation).

I also disagreed with some of those posts.

I am no expert on the subject--I just have an opinion like everyone else and mine apparently disagrees with yours. A Thai woman would not place themselves in situations that foreign women sometimes do. For instance, a month ago I recall a Belgian woman going alone to inspect a remote piece of farmland. Not a good idea.

BTW, you never responded to my scenario of walking around with a wad of cash. Do you not see how people often contribute to unfortunate outcomes?

• Like 2

To say this woman is part of the problem of rape is about as unbelievably stupid as it gets.

I'm thinking if she hadn't been jogging along a secluded road in a scanty jogging outfit, there wouldn't have been a problem.

What do you think?

Would she have been doing the same thing in India, Saudi or Nigeria?

How do you think that would have gone?

Difference being thailand is marketed as a top end tourrist destination, they even keep claiming they want quality tourists blink.png

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I wonder why she refused to give her name, and declined to make a complaint.

She did not want to have her picture taken when they caught the guy pointing her finger at him.

It wouldn't be the first time an Australian girl claimed to be raped while it never happened.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/aussie-jailed-for-fake-rape-claim/story-fn6e1m7z-1226397266193?nk=be8a4add088d53073fdba09bf1bd3b29

It'd only happen in Australia!

I mean, Thai girls never make stuff up, hey Frits?

I bet you really are a hansum man!

Awesome contribution mate.

• Like 2

Ok guys. I did post before that I agree with that all foreigners, especially women, need to be careful about what they do and where they do it.

I even said I take your point. And I do.

I think Im being even handed here.

My complaint with you and Anotheroneamerican is that you guys are immediately assuming she was doing the equivalent of walking around with wads full of cash hanging out of her pocket.

Its the tendency to quickly assume she was inappropriately clad and in an area that was obviously dangerous, that I object to.

How do you know this? You only have a scanty (paraphrased?) news report to go by. Given its a particularly nasty and traumatic crime (regardless of the sex of the target), maybe you should hesitate before sinking in the boot?

Of course people can contribute to crimes against themselves.

And their prevention.

So what is it about this one that makes it so easy for you two to so quickly assume that she hadnt considered the factors you mention. Instead, you assume she is a naive exhibitionist with the arrogance to believe she can do what she wants where she wants.

Maybe. Maybe not. There isnt the evidence to say based on that story so my humble suggestion is give her a break and assume she is an intelligent, mature and situationally aware person who got unpredictably attacked by a gutless rapist.

Which can happen to anyone.

My wife loves to run and bicycle but she won't do so alone (and she is upper 40's). She says a Thai woman would not do what this Aussie women did so to some percentage of Thai men she was doing the equivalent of carrying wads of cash.

In the West, rape is considered a crime of anger and power.

In Thailand, rape is a crime of opportunity.

Different set of rules.

I have daughters. I have granddaughters. I even have grandkids now.

When I caution them about situational awareness I have the option of telling them:

1) Wear what you want and go where you want because it is your right as a human being and if you get assaulted I want you to know it was not your fault.

OR

2) Be careful what you wear, be careful of your environment, be careful who you drink with and where your drink has been.

SimonDan, you are a respectable guy and I appreciate that.

This is just my opinion. Have a good evening.

• Like 2

It wouldn't be the first time an Australian girl claimed to be raped while it never happened.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/aussie-jailed-for-fake-rape-claim/story-fn6e1m7z-1226397266193?nk=be8a4add088d53073fdba09bf1bd3b29

Good on you Simon sticking up for the girl.

These other posts are staggering. And a really good example of why women who are raped often do not come forward. Blame the victim. Attack her integrity. "What was she wearing? Was it too provocative? (sounds like the General's clueless remark vis-à-vis KT.) What was she doing in that place?" Classic!

I don't blame the girl for not pressing charges. She took care of business herself. Time to get on with life and a good lesson learned. Just hope she doesn't get discouraged in her teaching and fly back to Oz. I wish her well.

• Like 2

CC and myself are trying to warn women of real dangers.

You say they should contemplate activities that put themselves at risk.

Maybe the accusers are correct!

Good twist. I give you A+ for imagination and creative writing. And an F- for basic English comprehension.

You put words into my mouth I never said.

In the first couple of sentences of the post you replied to I said all people in foreign countries, especially women, need to be situationally aware.

So spare me the self righteous bleating about just trying to warn the poor women (quick, give me a bucket to be sick in).

Read the post you reply to and stop making stuff up!

SimonDan,

When you start with the negative it appears to some you are losing control and some posters here will exploit that just to get your goat. They will play you. Posts like this one above is like blood in the water ;-)

Another One American (AOA) isn't one of those guys.

Take it easy and have a good night.

Edited by ClutchClark

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

Hope she damaged his crown jewels.

If a person doesn't have the protection of a family group here in thailand it just seems like they risk such exploitation.

My wife says Thai women live in constant risk of sexual assault.

My Thai GF says that she too is afraid of being raped and don't trust any Thai guys. Sad when you can't even go for a jog in the morning.

Thailand is going down hill so quickly it is hard to imagine. 20 years ago when I first came it seemed so safe, what has happened ?

ummmm 20 yrs ago the sh1t wasn't reported either to the police or the media.

@CC ummm you see all the security bars on houses? no one trusts no one about anything, real threats or not.

paranoia is wide spread

Edited by kaorop

These other posts are staggering. And a really good example of why women who are raped often do not come forward. Blame the victim. Attack her integrity. "What was she wearing? Was it too provocative? (sounds like the General's clueless remark vis-à-vis KT.) What was she doing in that place?" Classic!

I don't blame the girl for not pressing charges. She took care of business herself. Time to get on with life and a good lesson learned. Just hope she doesn't get discouraged in her teaching and fly back to Oz. I wish her well.

What lesson did she learn?

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

If a person doesn't have the protection of a family group here in thailand it just seems like they risk such exploitation.

My Thai GF says that she too is afraid of being raped and don't trust any Thai guys. Sad when you can't even go for a jog in the morning.

Thailand is going down hill so quickly it is hard to imagine. 20 years ago when I first came it seemed so safe, what has happened ?

ummmm the sh1t wasn't reported.

@CC ummm you see all the security bars on houses? no one trusts no one about anything, real threats or not.

paranoia is wide spread

Yeah, those bars are just paranoia.

Good one.

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

paranoia is wide spread

Good one.

Way to live in fear CC,

Yep

all those bars on 3rd floor inaccessible windows are 100% necessary.

CC and myself are trying to warn women of real dangers.

You say they should contemplate activities that put themselves at risk.

Maybe the accusers are correct!

Good twist. I give you A+ for imagination and creative writing. And an F- for basic English comprehension.

You put words into my mouth I never said.

In the first couple of sentences of the post you replied to I said all people in foreign countries, especially women, need to be situationally aware.

So spare me the self righteous bleating about just trying to warn the poor women (quick, give me a bucket to be sick in).

Read the post you reply to and stop making stuff up!

SimonDan,

When you start with the negative it appears to some you are losing control and some posters here will exploit that just to get your goat. They will play you. Posts like this one above is like blood in the water ;-)

Another One American (AOA) isn't one of those guys.

Take it easy and have a good night.

Nah, no anxiety here, I enjoy this stuff! But I do think its a basic courtesy owed to others not to misrepresent what they said. It aint hard, its not like we're analysing War and Peace! But it happens on almost every TV forum I read. Its an indication of something lacking in the responder, IMHO.

And morons on TV are, well, like blood in the water (sorry AOA, not refering to you).

But its just business, nothing personal.

I will take it easy, cheers mate! You too!

What lesson did she learn?

Beware of men with brown teeth.

Seriously, I think you already know.

• Like 1

Dont <deleted> with Aussies is all I can say

sad.png

Dumb post. Just because you are an Aussie doesn't mean you are indestructible. You....YOU, need to teach your young women to fight, kick, bite, stick finger in eye, spit and fight again.

Edited by Shot

I do blame her for not pressing charges. It is selfish, this guy has to go to jail so he can't rape another who is not so lucky / strong.

• Like 1

For all you <deleted> that think it's the woman's fault for jogging. You are in the same context as dear general who thinks that only ugly women should wear bikinis at the beach. You should be ashamed of yourself, you are part of the problem. Maybe all women should stay home and wear burkas when out? <deleted> off!

well said, I'm with you.

or a woman of any other nationality. If one woman in the world cries wolf that doesn't mean they all do

I wonder why she refused to give her name, and declined to make a complaint.

I was thinking that myself.

I can understand not giving her name because of possible reprisals. But to not press charges??

Does she even realise that had this piece of trash managed to overpower her, he would certainly not have left her alive to tell the story.

Her refusal to press charges against this scum, keeps him on the streets to do it again and again till he is finally caught.

This woman is part of the problem. It should not be up to her to make the decision whether or not this crime is investigated.... Well it won't be investigated now, thanks to her.

Perhaps she did not want to be paraded in front of all the camera's, then spend few days filling out reports and then be responsible for an innocent person going to jail.

More importantly if her name was out there then her school would have seen and that would have cost her the job because the school would have seen it as bad publicity for them even though she was attacked.

• Like 2

I do blame her for not pressing charges. It is selfish, this guy has to go to jail so he can't rape another who is not so lucky / strong.

It is a very big leap to think pressing charges would result in the attacker going to jail.

For all you <deleted> that think it's the woman's fault for jogging. You are in the same context as dear general who thinks that only ugly women should wear bikinis at the beach. You should be ashamed of yourself, you are part of the problem. Maybe all women should stay home and wear burkas when out? <deleted> off!

Control that temper little fella.

If you can't be respectful you may get a time-out.

• Like 1

paranoia is wide spread

Good one.

Way to live in fear CC,

Yep

all those bars on 3rd floor inaccessible windows are 100% necessary.

Poor boy, your anger is misdirected. You want to be talking to all the Thai homeowners who think its necessary to have bars on their windows.

I am a farang, I don't have bars on my windows--I have security personnel and cameras.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1