Aussie jogger fights off would-be Phuket rapist

Lite Beer

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a reported rape roughly every 15 minutes, according to the official Thai stats.The real rate is believed to be at least double that figure because so many women do not report the assault (the police are not generally interested unless the victim is a falang or a hi-so Thai). It's something all women tourists and families visiting Thailand should be aware of.

Every 15 minutes, where did you get these stats from? Link please.....

Not in a secluded place on their own, you haven't.

women should wear bikini's

It's good to see you guys (and ClutchClark who liked the comment) agree with the General / PM who doesn't think women should dress inappropriately too, bikini's BAD, shorts BAD Burkas are the go definately

Neanderthals BAD

Women should be safe wherever they are and should be able to dress as they see fit, if you've got it flaunt it I say, but that's not he issue

If the comments were sarcasm I apologise, it's hard to tell sometimes

RigPig,

I agree with you 100%.

Women should be able to go anywhere on this earth dressed like Eve in the Garden.

Unfortunately, this is the real world on Planet Earth and dressing like that can get a woman in a lot of unwanted trouble. Ofcourse, you are free to disagree.

The good General was attempting to warn western Women they should be careful. Same thing I told my daughters. Same thing my first wife told our daughters. Same thing my daughters told their daughters.

Unfortunately, some readers have trouble understanding what Thai women know quite well--there is a large chasm between what should be and what "is".

I wish you guys would think before you just hop on the PC bandwagon.

How many times have you read TV posters warning others to not get in a fight with a Thai? About 1,000?

Do you think they are saying its the farangs fault? No. You understand they are simply saying, "Be careful, Mate, this is a different culture with a different set of rules". Same applies here.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 2

To say this woman is part of the problem of rape is about as unbelievably stupid as it gets.

I'm thinking if she hadn't been jogging along a secluded road in a scanty jogging outfit, there wouldn't have been a problem.

What do you think?

Would she have been doing the same thing in India, Saudi or Nigeria?

How do you think that would have gone?

Who says she was wearing "scanty jogging outfit" and what has "india, Saudi or Nigeria" got to do with it? She should be able to exercise without the fear of attack! Maybe you could suggest to her that in future she wears a burqa whilst jogging?

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

Hope she damaged his crown jewels.

If a person doesn't have the protection of a family group here in thailand it just seems like they risk such exploitation.

My wife says Thai women live in constant risk of sexual assault.

I agree with you. She said she injured his leg, which one? My wife has also told me the same thing. During the week we live apart, as I am retired in Loei and she is a teacher in Udon Thani. She has a government house in a secluded area and tells me that she too has these fears.

Got her a large dog that has been trained as a bodyguard dog. Would need a gun to stop him, which I hope is a situation that never presents itself.

Since the majority of posters on this thread appear to lack basic reading comprehension skills and continually accuse me of saying something I am not, I I suggest they ask their Thai girlfriends and wives what advice those same fine ladies give to their daughters.

Perhaps they can explain it in easier to understand terms.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

To say this woman is part of the problem of rape is about as unbelievably stupid as it gets.

I'm thinking if she hadn't been jogging along a secluded road in a scanty jogging outfit, there wouldn't have been a problem.

What do you think?

Who says she was wearing "scanty jogging outfit" and what has "india, Saudi or Nigeria" got to do with it? She should be able to exercise without the fear of attack! Maybe you could suggest to her that in future she wears a burqa whilst jogging?

Most third world countries are dangerous places for women.

Political correctness Vs personal safety.

I would always choose personal safety, not only for me, but for my gf and my daughter.

They ain't going jogging alone in Thailand, even in a burka.

Not in a secluded place on their own, you haven't.

women should wear bikini's

It's good to see you guys (and ClutchClark who liked the comment) agree with the General / PM who doesn't think women should dress inappropriately too, bikini's BAD, shorts BAD Burkas are the go definately

Neanderthals BAD

Women should be safe wherever they are and should be able to dress as they see fit, if you've got it flaunt it I say, but that's not he issue

If the comments were sarcasm I apologise, it's hard to tell sometimes

RigPig,

I agree with you 100%.

Women should be able to go anywhere on this earth dressed like Eve in the Garden.

Unfortunately, this is the real world on Planet Earth and dressing like that can get a woman in a lot of unwanted trouble. Ofcourse, you are free to disagree.

The good General was attempting to warn western Women they should be careful. Same thing I told my daughters. Same thing my first wife told our daughters. Same thing my daughters told their daughters.

Unfortunately, some readers have trouble understanding what Thai women know quite well--there is a large chasm between what should be and what "is".

I wish you guys would think before you just hop on the PC bandwagon.

How many times have you read TV posters warning others to not get in a fight with a Thai? About 1,000?

Do you think they are saying its the farangs fault? No. You understand they are simply saying, "Be careful, Mate, this is a different culture with a different set of rules". Same applies here.

Fair comment, but it's not right and something needs to change, and as a society WE need to make that change otherwise mankind will not move forward, it's what differentiates us from animals, I live in hope...

BUT I also understand that a stiff pr1ck has no conscience, but as a species that puts itself above others, this sh1t has to stop !!! And the only deterrent is penalties that make people understand the consequences are worse than the actions, human nature I guess

Anarchy is OK too I guess, rules or no rules as long as you understand the game..............

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

If a person doesn't have the protection of a family group here in thailand it just seems like they risk such exploitation.

When I left for the states before I married my fiancée I was waiting to go get on the plane and told her she didn't have to wait. She stated that until it was light out she wasn't leaving because she was cautious about the taxi drivers. She said "see how I dress (plain) and I am wearing no jewelry."

Sad when you can't even trust a taxi driver who may try and assault and rob you. That wouldn't fly in my country as the taxi drivers would all be thrown in jail or business would drop since nobody would take one.

What do you think?

Most third world countries are dangerous places for women.

Political correctness Vs personal safety.

I would always choose personal safety, not only for me, but for my gf and my daughter.

They ain't going jogging alone in Thailand, even in a burka.

I understand completely where you are coming from, but it is wrong that we live in a society that you have to think like this, and the only solution (at this stage) is stiffer penalties for those who abuse other peoples rights for safety.

But yes this is the world we live in, we haven't progressed much in reality huh?

• Like 2

I wonder why she refused to give her name, and declined to make a complaint.

I was thinking that myself.

I can understand not giving her name because of possible reprisals. But to not press charges??

Does she even realise that had this piece of trash managed to overpower her, he would certainly not have left her alive to tell the story.

Her refusal to press charges against this scum, keeps him on the streets to do it again and again till he is finally caught.

This woman is part of the problem. It should not be up to her to make the decision whether or not this crime is investigated.... Well it won't be investigated now, thanks to her.

Possibly did not want to suffer the indignaty of being paraded in front of the press at the local police station. The Government really needs to put a stop to this rediculous and inhuman practice.

Yeah the re-enactment of the crime would be enough to put you off....

I can understand completly the lady being unwilling to make a formal complaint and subject herself to the Thai police processes. I think though the THai police should be able to investigate and if they get enough evidence still charge the person.

• Like 2

It's selfish not to follow through with a report.

The next woman who isn't so lucky to escape this germ can Thank her for it.

Sent from my LG-D858

That's rubbish. The next woman who will get raped can blame the rapist, not another woman who got an awful experience and wish not to be raped by the local media and generally by the people who have empathy levels comparable to the members of Westboro baptist church.

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

That's because most Thai women will accept it and not make a report, so the scumbag carries on with a free pass to try and rape another women, <deleted> scumbag, and the south is the worst in all of Thailand, because they believe that the women are beneath them there

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

My Thai GF says that she too is afraid of being raped and don't trust any Thai guys. Sad when you can't even go for a jog in the morning.

Thailand is going down hill so quickly it is hard to imagine. 20 years ago when I first came it seemed so safe, what has happened ?

Not blame just Thailand.....It is happening all around the world...

Good for her.

Calm under pressure.

My Thai GF says that she too is afraid of being raped and don't trust any Thai guys. Sad when you can't even go for a jog in the morning.

Thailand is going down hill so quickly it is hard to imagine. 20 years ago when I first came it seemed so safe, what has happened ?

What Country are you talking about .. ?

43 years ago ... things were a whole worse than they are now (even worse still down Pattaya way). I like this place.

S... happens - don't be so surprised. She was lucky and the guys was a dweeb.

I can understand not giving her name because of possible reprisals. But to not press charges??

Does she even realise that had this piece of trash managed to overpower her, he would certainly not have left her alive to tell the story.

Her refusal to press charges against this scum, keeps him on the streets to do it again and again till he is finally caught.

This woman is part of the problem. It should not be up to her to make the decision whether or not this crime is investigated.... Well it won't be investigated now, thanks to her.

What you say regarding the fact that the douchebag will remain free, and a threat to other women, is absolutely true. However, what you're not taking into account is the fact that the victim, if she pressed charges and the cretin was captured, would then be paraded in front of the media, and her life turned upside down. The rapist's lawyer would probably attack her, saying that his poor client was lured on by her skimpy jogging shorts and top, and that it was her "suggestive" attire that "compelled" him to assault her. So she would be made out, in public, to be the farang slut who lured the poor, misunderstood, but morally superior Thai man who is really the victim. And that's not considering the potential for reprisals from his family and friends, and the stigma that would dog her for as long as she lives. No, the woman is NOT part of the problem. It is precisely the attitude that suggests that women contribute to the problem of rape that allows it to continue. There need to be anonymity laws in place to protect the victim, banning the media and defense counsel from revealing their identity, and allowing them to report and charge the attacker in a case of rape, without having their lives further shattered. Under age felons have their identities protected so as to shield their future lives from consequence. Why shouldn't rape victims? Enact laws to protect the victim and you will see reported rape cases increase substantially.

• Like 2

What you say regarding the fact that the douchebag will remain free, and a threat to other women, is absolutely true. However, what you're not taking into account is the fact that the victim, if she pressed charges and the cretin was captured, would then be paraded in front of the media, and her life turned upside down. The rapist's lawyer would probably attack her, saying that his poor client was lured on by her skimpy jogging shorts and top, and that it was her "suggestive" attire that "compelled" him to assault her. So she would be made out, in public, to be the farang slut who lured the poor, misunderstood, but morally superior Thai man who is really the victim. And that's not considering the potential for reprisals from his family and friends, and the stigma that would dog her for as long as she lives. No, the woman is NOT part of the problem. It is precisely the attitude that suggests that women contribute to the problem of rape that allows it to continue. There need to be anonymity laws in place to protect the victim, banning the media and defense counsel from revealing their identity, and allowing them to report and charge the attacker in a case of rape, without having their lives further shattered. Under age felons have their identities protected so as to shield their future lives from consequence. Why shouldn't rape victims? Enact laws to protect the victim and you will see reported rape cases increase substantially.

Very well stated. Best post I have read.

It wouldn't be the first time an Australian girl claimed to be raped while it never happened.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/aussie-jailed-for-fake-rape-claim/story-fn6e1m7z-1226397266193?nk=be8a4add088d53073fdba09bf1bd3b29

It'd only happen in Australia!

I mean, Thai girls never make stuff up, hey Frits?

I bet you really are a hansum man!

Awesome contribution mate.

Good on you Simon sticking up for the girl.

These other posts are staggering. And a really good example of why women who are raped often do not come forward. Blame the victim. Attack her integrity. "What was she wearing? Was it too provocative? (sounds like the General's clueless remark vis-à-vis KT.) What was she doing in that place?" Classic!

I don't blame the girl for not pressing charges. She took care of business herself. Time to get on with life and a good lesson learned. Just hope she doesn't get discouraged in her teaching and fly back to Oz. I wish her well.

I do blame her for not pressing charges. It is selfish, this guy has to go to jail so he can't rape another who is not so lucky / strong.

Are you crazy what a stupid comment, use your brain the reason why she did'nt is simple.

She don't trust the police not the justice at all, but what she believe after she file a report to the police, that her name and probably her picture is published. Then the police call this bastard in, take some bribe money and let him run.

She is afraid of his revenge and this is understandable for me.

why decline to file a complain ? so next victim is also on her

I can think of many reasons for her to decline filing a complaint. And any next victim is on the potential rapist. Not on the victim(s).

and on the whole rotten justice system!

For me, all things considered, including inept police, lack of consideration for the victim, short prison sentences for everything but drugs(<deleted>) I tell my girlfriend if you get the better of an attacker in a case like this you need to kill them. Just like horror movies, when you get the bad guy down you should stomp on their head and neck till your sure they're dead. Otherwise they will be back to do it again to you or someone not as strong or lucky as you.

When you allow people to make anonymous accusations then you create an opportunity for a well-intentioned law to become a tool of retaliation and blackmail.

• Like 2

Good on you Simon sticking up for the girl.

These other posts are staggering. And a really good example of why women who are raped often do not come forward. Blame the victim. Attack her integrity. "What was she wearing? Was it too provocative? (sounds like the General's clueless remark vis-à-vis KT.) What was she doing in that place?" Classic!

I don't blame the girl for not pressing charges. She took care of business herself. Time to get on with life and a good lesson learned. Just hope she doesn't get discouraged in her teaching and fly back to Oz. I wish her well.

I do blame her for not pressing charges. It is selfish, this guy has to go to jail so he can't rape another who is not so lucky / strong.

Are you crazy what a stupid comment, use your brain the reason why she did'nt is simple.

She don't trust the police not the justice at all, but what she believe after she file a report to the police, that her name and probably her picture is published. Then the police call this bastard in, take some bribe money and let him run.

She is afraid of his revenge and this is understandable for me.

So you are one of those people who knows what other people think.

Because the police will turn it around and blame her. She will get charged for assaulting him.

"She will get charged for assaulting him." - or get charged for making a false report.

Ummm, it's happed here before.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Aussie-woman-jailed-false-rape-report-Phuket/16190

Since the majority of posters on this thread appear to lack basic reading comprehension skills and continually accuse me of saying something I am not, I I suggest they ask their Thai girlfriends and wives what advice those same fine ladies give to their daughters.

Perhaps they can explain it in easier to understand terms.

This only happens CC, because you conveniently forget what you have posted earlier. No one else seems to have this problem, and it is becoming your trademark, as is accusing anyone who reminds you of those posts, of comprehension problems. but as long as you are happy we can all keep going about our business.

Obviously, you have not seen my jogging outfit. Far from skimpy, and I don't appreciate being stereotyped just because I jog. And please, no raping.

• Like 1