Where to stop for ~2 nights between BKK - Chiang Mai

alt

Hi all,

Just a bit of info first...

We are a mid 20's Irish couple returning to Thailand for our 2nd time for 1 month of backpacking/holidaying. The first time we were in Thailand, we flew straight up to Chiang Mai due to the trains not running (floods)

We would like to train up to Chiang Rai this time and back our way back to Chiang Mai which we'll use as a base (may do Pai, and bike around the North a bit)

Question is; we'd like to stop somewhere between BKK and Chiang Mai for a night, to experience the more rural Thailand. We like to have fun but also also appreciate the more laid back life and would like to spend 2 nights in a village / small town.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stop along the train route? We don't mind a short bus ride once we get off the bus.

Looking at the train map, the stops are:

Ayutthaya (little too close to BKK?)

Phitsanulok (Sukhothai)

Lamphun (too close to Chiang Mai?)

So the obvious stop off looks like Phitsanulok. The GF has mentioned that we can take a bus to Sukhothai - would one recommend this?!

You would probably enjoy biking around the Sukhothai Historical Park for a day.

That sounds like just the thing we're looking for smile.png Thank you

-Edit- Yes, it looks like Sukhothai will definately be a destination for us. If for nothing but the historical park and chill out.

Looks like we get a train from BKK to Phitsanulok, then a tuk tuk / minibus to the bus station where the bus will take us 50k to Sukhothai.

We've not taken a train before so it'll be a new experience in itself :)

Edited by alt

May I suggest that you don't rely on the trains to much here they are always late sometime by many hours.

The Buses are just as good and more reliable, you would be able to stop at many more locations with same, besides that you would be able to get just a good or better view of the towns/Thailand that they travel through.

Just a thought worth looking at anyway.

Tip pay the few pence extra and get the top class buses.

• Like 1

OK thanks for the tip. We would plan on taking busses normally, but we've never taken the train so thought this would be a perfect opportunity. Surely, since we're leaving BKK, the train will leave soon-enough to on time? We could get the bus the rest of the way to Chiang Mai when we decide to leave Sukhothai

• Like 1

The trains can be fun the first time , particularly the very cheap third class. Just expect to be late. I only ever use Nakhon Chai bus service as they have a good safety record and are punctual. You will realise why the safety bit is important when you see the wrecks going up into the mountains. However they will not stop on demand, for that you need one of the local buses.

• Like 2

OK thanks for the tip. We would plan on taking busses normally, but we've never taken the train so thought this would be a perfect opportunity. Surely, since we're leaving BKK, the train will leave soon-enough to on time? We could get the bus the rest of the way to Chiang Mai when we decide to leave Sukhothai

The answer to that 'they leave on time' is somewhat of a misnomer. Whatever they will NEVER arrive on time. I did that journey from BKK must admit only once and it arrived in Chang Mai just short of 7 hours late.

Not to much of a problem you might say but if your on holiday and have tried to plan your time to look around things you might have to call a halt to your proceedings. Buses on the other hand are 95% on time you might have the odd problem but there'll be few and far between.

Edited by fredob43

The recommendation for Sukhothai is great. Wonderful place. As for the trains, our friends did this last year in December or January. They nearly froze to death. Bring something warm just in case.

As for buses, only take government or nice private buses like mentioned above. AVOID the ones in KSR and other backpacker places. They can be a real disaster...for many reasons. Got to the bus station and catch one from there.

We would like to train up to Chiang Rai this time

I presume this was a mistake, given that the trains don't go beyond Chiang Mai.

An alternative to Sukhothai (and I'm a little surprised nobody's mentioned Sri Sachanalai which is very close and is also wonderful) is Kamphaeng Phet, another historical site with ruins.

Looks like we get a train from BKK to Phitsanulok, then a tuk tuk / minibus to the bus station where the bus will take us 50k to Sukhothai.

I believe there may be a final step since the long distance bus terminal is quite a way outside the town.

If punctuality isn't too high on your list of priorities I would recommend travelling by train to Phitsonulok. You get better views as you're travelling along and you can stretch your legs a little as you go. They're mostly not that late in arriving at their destination also.

Reading your OP, Sukhothai would be be my recommendation too. It's well worth a visit. Plan your itinerary in advance though as getting around between attractions can take a while. Things may be improved during the tourist season though.

Jerry

• Like 1

I believe there are busses that go directly from Bkk to Sukhothai Historical Park - there are guesthouses right outside the gates of hte park - bicycle rentals there are very reasonable. The historical park is beautiful and relaxing but you will complete a tour around in abt 2 hours if you take your time and stop everywhere for photos… go in the morning before it gets too hot...

P-lok is a bit industrial and other than a nice temple, not much of touring interest.

The less polished ruins in Kamphaeng and Sukhothai province are smaller and likely more difficult to get to w/o a car. Not that they are not interesting, just not a lot there and not restored - also not heavily touristed all of which can add to the charm.

I've done the train trip from Phitsanoluk to CM. 7 hours. Phitsanoluk is a dowdy little town. If you must stay there, try the Topland Hotel, where the food is farang-friendly.

Lampang is not too bad. And Uttaradit looked very nice from the train windows.

Why anyone would want to visit ruins, though, beats me, no matter where you are in the world. Maybe Stonehenge? The Grand Canyon (a ruin of Nature?) The Mayan stuff in Mexico? The pyramids of Egypt? Steaming jungles of Cambodia?

You were asking about the small towns and villages. My only advice would be to avoid. You will find language incomprehension a big problem in small places. And only Thai food, with no English translations of menu cards. (Pictures might help). You could end up with the runs and no hospital nearby.

• Like 1

I'd consider Ayutthaya. It's a fun little town, and the ruins are interesting and make a pleasant day's cycling - and the timing of the train to Chiang Mai works nicely, you can get on the sleeper train after dinner and arrive at Chiang Mai nice and fresh in the morning.

As for the trains 'never' running on time, I use them frequently and the last few times they haven't been late at all - in fact in one case we actually arrived early. Some people here just like to denigrate anything Thai.

• Like 1

The benefit of Sukhothai is that it is almost dead center between BKK and CNX. It has the historic aspect and is tourist friendly.

Mae Sot is a great little border town with the gem markets, natural attractions, and the Burmese influence. Cheap seafood too

Sukhothai is fantastic. We stayed in Phitsanulok and took a day trip out to the ruins which are in an amazingly well kept up park for Thailand. Agreed, tho', Sukhothai is kind of frumpy. I regret that I didn't go far enough with my reserach to find that there are a number of guesthouses right across the street the street from the ruins, seemed like a magical place to stay.

Also, the northern line train derails monthly. Nobody seems to get killed, or it isn't reported, but people get injured. I would take the bus, simply because I don't want to give the Thai rail system my money while they sit there and do nothing to solve the problem. The busses are also unsafe, but that is part of the thrill of travel, don't skimp on the travel/accident insurance.

If I had to stop somewhere during a Bangkok / Chiang Mai train journey, I would try :

- to stop about halfway

- and not waste time on long bus rides in order to get the most of the place I chose to visit

so that would rule out Ayuthaya (very close to Bangkok) and Mae Sot (a good 5 hours trip from Phitsanuloke).

For two nights Sukhothai is a good choice and a 1-hour bus ride from Phi-loke. Lampang is also a very nice town but too close to your final destination - you could go there on a daytrip from Chiang Mai.

Phi-loke itself is a big town with nothing really special except a well-known and much revered temple.

If you do want a small town non-touristy atmosphere, you could try Uttaradit : almost no farang in the streets (and few english spoken, but this is part of the adventure) and probably one of the best deals in all hotels in Thailand (Seeharaj Hotel). However there is not a lot to do in town during the day,

The train may sound romantic and interesting, but open windows and paddies being burned off the smoke and grit will make it an experience you will wish to forget , go by bus!

Pitsanulok is a good choice. Like everyone says Sukhothai is easy to get to. When you leave take the night train to Chiang Mai and get a sleeper gets you to Chiangmai early in the morning and you get to sleep all the way.Pitsanulok has a great night market by the river.Not a lot to do if you donot know your way around ,but thats the same anywhere in Thailand. A good place to stay is the Lithai it is right downtown near the river ,night market,train station ,day market all of these are within walking distance from the hotel. They have a good steak house and bakery. Free breakfast. And very clean. The old owner Noi loves to show what a great host she is so if you get to meet her, She will take good care of you.