Russian tourist dies after jet-ski crash in Phuket

Lite Beer

​Not one place on this earth, where tourist visit, enforce licensing laws.. Europe, Asia, USA, Australia... to the stupid comments, life is cheap in the East, get a life...

With your keen insight, you should apply for a job with TAT. Brain optional
I can state unequivocally that the US enforces licensing laws. In fact, the insurance companies even mandate it.

Cheers

And so does the UK.....famous for its "Nanny State"! In this case a stern Nanny might be useful!

Nice way to put it ;-)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So many things are wrong here.

-Jet skis should not be on any Phuket beaches, period. If this was enforced, the points below would be moot.

-All jet skis ridden require a Thai captains license, this Russian did not have one, the same as every other jet ski renter in Phuket. Why isn't Marine 5's boss enforcing existing laws on the books? The answer is rhetorical and it's all about the baht.

- Conditions were far too dangerous for the jet ski clowns to even consider renting them out.

-Why isn't there a better medical procedure used for conditions like this? Seriously taking the guy to Patong, then deciding to transfer to Vachira, really doesn't cut it. Why wasn't he taken straight away to one of the private hospitals? Ambulances should be stationed not more than 5-10 minutes away. This is a holiday island with first world prices for goods and services, yet 3rd world medical emergency services.

-Marine 5 boss calling this an "accident". No it's not an accident, it's a serious incident due to your dereliction of duty by not enforcing laws that are on the books for some reason unbeknownst to the general public. Shame on Marine 5 and it's lack of a backbone on the jet ski issue.

steelepulse - I totally agree with most of what you stated except for "All jet skis ridden require a Thai captains license..."

You can't be serious? Are you telling me that any tourist that arrives at a beach tourist destination must adhere to the laws of acquiring a Captains license before they can rent a jet ski to pass time on their holiday? It's like requiring tourists to acquire a Thai Motorbike license before they can rent a motorbike during their holiday stay; it's not going to happen and as much as we would all like EVERYONE to be properly licensed to handle any type of vehicle, it's not going to fly with the tourist...never, but on the balance of your statement, I fully agree with you. I don't necessarily put 100% of the blame on the operator since it takes two to tango and the Russian should have known better than to have chosen a time of rough conditions to enjoy himself. They shouldn't have rented it to him and he should have had better sense then to have rented it, but it happened and all we can say is RIP.

I would in general not blame the Jetski owner the russian was an adult 29 yo. he should know the risk.

Back to the license discussion.

I have rented with friends several times boats for river and kanal cruises in Holland, France and Germany there is no license necessary, but when I do the same cruises with my own boat then I need a license, this is also real hypocracy. You getting 20-30 minutes briefing and a proper manual that's it.

Simple said, if you getting a Thai Captains license or any license from another country, the this makes you not automatically to an experienced raider, specially for such extreme conditions likes this case.

I blame 25% the authorities that there is not a good trained and qualified beach watch who have the power to block the beach for all in condition like this.

25% I would blame the jetski owner, they having no idea about responsibility.

And minimum 50% the rider.

When I was young I was used to real speed driving in cars, motorbikes and alpine ski.

I had several accidents mainly with motorbikes off road, and alpine ski off track never other

ppl involved I could be several times dead, anyway this does'nt stoped me.

Did know there was a risk, but I does'nt cared about it.

I can not blame others for what I did, caused I was old enough to use my brain.

They only excuse I have, I was a well trained sportman who was going on his limits.

To all the old couch potatoes out there, think decades backwards as you was young,

did you never made somethings to risky, before you blame others.

Very intelligent post.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

​Not one place on this earth, where tourist visit, enforce licensing laws.. Europe, Asia, USA, Australia... to the stupid comments, life is cheap in the East, get a life...

You are VERY wrong.

Just read on another site that the deceased wife was given 150k compensation.

Disgusting.

Sent from my LG-D858

Agree. It does seem like a large amount if paid by the rental tout, but not so much if paid by the Tourist Board or the like.

Aren't Russians the country whose leader who rides shirtless and bareback on the backs of Siberian Tigers?

Part of macho culture is taking responsibility for your actions and not trying to shift the blame--even though I hate the jetskis on the beach as much as the next guy and think the touts are lowlife scum, I just can't place the blame on them.

Disgusting.

Sent from my LG-D858

Agree. It does seem like a large amount if paid by the rental tout, but not so much if paid by the Tourist Board or the like.

Aren't Russians the country whose leader who rides shirtless and bareback on the backs of Siberian Tigers?

Part of macho culture is taking responsibility for your actions and not trying to shift the blame--even though I hate the jetskis on the beach as much as the next guy and think the touts are lowlife scum, I just can't place the blame on them.

They also wouldn't pay her until she produced a marriage certificate.

What a terrible ordeal and the pittance paid makes it worse.

Sent from my LG-D858

• Like 1

Disgusting.

Sent from my LG-D858

They also wouldn't pay her until she produced a marriage certificate.

What a terrible ordeal and the pittance paid makes it worse.

Sent from my LG-D858

Even more disgusting is the smirk and smile the jet ski guy has in those photos shown on phuket wan. ( Can't link to it, but supposedly can allude to it).

-Jet skis should not be on any Phuket beaches, period. If this was enforced, the points below would be moot.

-All jet skis ridden require a Thai captains license, this Russian did not have one, the same as every other jet ski renter in Phuket. Why isn't Marine 5's boss enforcing existing laws on the books? The answer is rhetorical and it's all about the baht.

- Conditions were far too dangerous for the jet ski clowns to even consider renting them out.

-Why isn't there a better medical procedure used for conditions like this? Seriously taking the guy to Patong, then deciding to transfer to Vachira, really doesn't cut it. Why wasn't he taken straight away to one of the private hospitals? Ambulances should be stationed not more than 5-10 minutes away. This is a holiday island with first world prices for goods and services, yet 3rd world medical emergency services.

-Marine 5 boss calling this an "accident". No it's not an accident, it's a serious incident due to your dereliction of duty by not enforcing laws that are on the books for some reason unbeknownst to the general public. Shame on Marine 5 and it's lack of a backbone on the jet ski issue.

steelepulse - I totally agree with most of what you stated except for "All jet skis ridden require a Thai captains license..."

You can't be serious? Are you telling me that any tourist that arrives at a beach tourist destination must adhere to the laws of acquiring a Captains license before they can rent a jet ski to pass time on their holiday? It's like requiring tourists to acquire a Thai Motorbike license before they can rent a motorbike during their holiday stay; it's not going to happen and as much as we would all like EVERYONE to be properly licensed to handle any type of vehicle, it's not going to fly with the tourist...never, but on the balance of your statement, I fully agree with you. I don't necessarily put 100% of the blame on the operator since it takes two to tango and the Russian should have known better than to have chosen a time of rough conditions to enjoy himself. They shouldn't have rented it to him and he should have had better sense then to have rented it, but it happened and all we can say is RIP.

It's not a Captains license, it's a Thai 2nd Mates license that you need.

Hope the operators have to compensate the family for the death at least.

In fairness and all that.

---------------

No, not the operators.

Have the OWNERS of the Jet Skis that are being rented out, made liable to compensate the family of the victims.

That's because the operators are only renting the Jet Skis for some wealthy owner that they rent them from.

Make the owners pay, and the Jet Ski rental business goes away really fast.

Right now the owners of the Jet Skis could care less, but let the compensation come out of their pockets. and things may change.

It's not a Captains license, it's a Thai 2nd Mates license that you need.

So this isn't correct?

>>

Thai Maritime Law clearly states that:

1) Any watercraft which is used in any Thai waters MUST bear lawful registration (This would certainly include a Jet-Ski, as does it a rubber-dinghy and any size mono/or/multi hull vessel.

2) The operator of ANY water-craft used in Thai waters MUST have a valid Captain's License

No, I don't think it is. Please provide a link.

If everyone that drove a boat needed a captains certificate, then all 1st and 2nd mates would actually be qualified captains. It doesn't make sense. To get a captains license you need to rack up sea time at another rank. You can't get a captain's licence without going through being a chief mate and you can't become a chief mate without going through 1st mate. A 2nd mate is the lowest officer certification that allows you to drive a vessel. I've been a seafarer for over 35 years. It would surprise me if the Thais did it any different from everyone else.

Also, I have been told by yachtie friends in Phuket for years, that they need to get a Thai 2nd Mates license which they duly got so that they could sail their own vessels in Thai waters.

Edited by KarenBravo

No, I don't think it is. Please provide a link.

If everyone that drove a boat needed a captains certificate, then all 1st and 2nd mates would actually be qualified captains. It doesn't make sense. To get a captains license you need to rack up sea time at another rank. You can't get a captain's licence without going through being a chief mate and you can't become a chief mate without going through 1st mate. A 2nd mate is the lowest officer certification that allows you to drive a vessel. I've been a seafarer for over 35 years. It would surprise me if the Thais did it any different from everyone else.

Also, I have been told by yachtie friends in Phuket for years, that they need to get a Thai 2nd Mates license which they duly got so that they could sail their own vessels in Thai waters.

Your explanation makes more sense that what I copied and pasted above from earlier in this thread. You need to have some sort of official piece of paper, and the lowest rank with the least amount of hours makes sense. Too bad marine 5 doesn't enforce this on jet ski rentals.

I have been Googling further without much luck.

You can become a skipper of a yacht in Phuket by doing a course and you end up with an ICC (International Certificate of Competence). Most yachts actually spend most of their time using the motor.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you don't need a Captain's ticket. Why would you need advanced fire-fighting and advanced first-aid to drive a jet-ski?

With ref to license required to drive a jet ski, board member pagallim posted this in an old thread

The licence is actually a 2nd Class Helmsman certificate, which is valid for vessels up to 30 tonnes. Probably the best thing is to visit the Marine 5 office just inside the Deep Water Port at the end of Cape Panwa, and ask about registering the jet ski, and also the 'boat licence'. I got my certificate in about 30 minutes, and like the Thai driving licence, is valid for 1 year initially. The only things that I needed were passport copies, photographs, and Certificate of Residence (obtained from Immigration Office - though beware, they are now enforcing evidence of residence i.e. rental/lease agreement along with copy of property owner's Thai ID card, and signature!).

(from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/297158-private-water-jets-in-phuket/ post #6)