basic visa questions (first trip to Cambodia)

jan2557

Hi, I'll be taking my first trip to Cambodia later this month, entering Phnom Penh on a flight from Thailand. I'll be getting there late afternoon.

Is there any benefit to getting an e-visa instead of a visa on arrival? What would I need to get a visa on arrival, other than a passport photo? And lastly, what scams should I be aware of?

Thanks!

e-visa now costs $40 with the processing fee and card fee.

It saves a little time on arrival but the VOA process is usually pretty efficient.

Costs $30 - you just need to complete the visa application and entry forms and have a passport size photo.

No scams at the airport, just make sure you pick the MFAIC site if you go the e-visa route. https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ContactInformation.aspx

As above, though in my experience the delays at the airport can be sometimes be considerable. Advantage of the e-visa is that it saves all that.

Another advantage is that it avoids using up a page in your passport, if your passport is close to full this is helpful.

My Thai wife and I will be passing through the remote Lower Isaan border of Choam Sa Ngam / Anlong Veng in a couple of weeks time for a 5 day visit. My Thai wife's passport expires in March 2015. I will not be able to use an e-Visa going in through that border.

I have done this trip several times myself, but can anyone confirm that my Thai wife will not need to have 6 months unexpired on her passport. I am assuming not, as I think she will not need a Cambodian visa or visa on arrival for a trip of less than 14 days?

Your wife doesn't need a passport at all; as long as she has Thai national ID - she can enter Cambodia for up to 14 days without issue.

I'm sure that crossing is the same as Chong Chom. The Thai army and Thai immigration will let no one exit or enter Thailand with out a valid passport and no border pass or id allowed. She needs a pass port and no e-visa allowed at Choam Sa Ngam. Also Cambodia tends to inforce the 6 months left on passport, your wives only has 5 months as of now. She needs a new passport.Your wives needs to go to Ubon and get a new passport.

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

as thai passports are rather quick ( usually less than a week and mailed to you)

just apply for a new one

when i crossed into Cambodia with my daughter on her thai passport, she was stamped in

so i would assume everyone NEEDS a passport ( unless their just going to the local market) to enter

Edited by phuketrichard

as thai passports are rather quick ( usually less than a week and mailed to you)

just apply for a new one

when i crossed into Cambodia with my daughter on her thai passport, she was stamped in

so i would assume everyone NEEDS a passport ( unless their just going to the local market) to enter

Even the local market now requires a passport no exception.

Thanks guys. Had a funny feeling that things might be much tighter now - probably better to be safe rather than sorry anyway.

Is the Ubon passport office still in that complex of Government offices on the other side of the main drag from Thung si Meuang ('Candle Park'). Just 'Lined' my wives (sic above laugh.png ) to come back from the beauty salon and we'll high-tail it over to Ubon later. Assume they will do the photos of my concubine at the passport office, so I'll just take the 'big binder' with all the usual important documents and all their old passports.

Edit:

Have now found tel no on ThaiV so presumably I can find out for myself.

Edited by SantiSuk

Ubon passport office has moved in the last 4 years since I last went (to the Yaso road 4 km outside the Ring Road) and the phone no I found on ThaiV.com no longer works. Presumably the Redshirt conflagration changed all the Government office accommodations.

No doubt there is a more recent thread that I was unable to locate. Will post details for avoidance of doubt when I get back

Ubon passport office has moved in the last 4 years since I last went (to the Yaso road 4 km outside the Ring Road) and the phone no I found on ThaiV.com no longer works. Presumably the Redshirt conflagration changed all the Government office accommodations.

No doubt there is a more recent thread that I was unable to locate. Will post details for avoidance of doubt when I get back

Yes Udon PP office did move. My wife and a friend were there about 3 months back renewing theirs. Sorry I can give you the location but I understand its close by the old location. My wife's friend works for a Thai organization that coordinates workshops on the local level between Thailand,Cambodia and Lao. This friend spends time in Cambodia and Lao, it was she that was stopped at Chong Chom from crossing when it was pointed out that she only had 4 months on her pp and could not enter. OOP's she told the wife that evening that she had to go to Ubon to renew. My wife decided to look at her pp and said in Thai #@$! my pp has expired I need new. So 4 the next day off to the PP office in Udon from KC. Girls day out. I recall 1000 bt and 40 bt for ems 6 days.

Yes Udon PP office did move. My wife and a friend were there about 3 months back renewing theirs. Sorry I can give you the location but I understand its close by the old location. My wife's friend works for a Thai organization that coordinates workshops on the local level between Thailand,Cambodia and Lao. This friend spends time in Cambodia and Lao, it was she that was stopped at Chong Chom from crossing when it was pointed out that she only had 4 months on her pp and could not enter. OOP's she told the wife that evening that she had to go to Ubon to renew. My wife decided to look at her pp and said in Thai #@$! my pp has expired I need new. So 4 the next day off to the PP office in Udon from KC. Girls day out. I recall 1000 bt and 40 bt for ems 6 days.

Ubon passport office is in the new City Hall 3km north of the Ring Road on the Yasothon highway (where the grand edifice straddling the road stands). Can't miss the huge white City Hall. Park up at the back and enter by the rear turning right along the ground floor after entry. Tel 045 344581. 8:30 to 16:30 with no lunch break.

At those prices (1,040 baht including EMS and photo) and with that efficiency of process (10 minutes) I aint complainin' that the last one only lasted 4 years 7 months!

• Like 1

but u can get another 5 year extension on the thai passport ( once) , no need to apply for a new one

Whats the cost for the 5 year extension and must the passport holder go to a Thai passport office to apply ?

Edited by khwaibah

Yes,

ex wife had a 5 year extension, got it at the passport office in PHuket

but dont recall the cost

Look at the passport, it has on the page opposite where the photo is a page that is marked "extension of Validity"

where the place the stamp

Interesting. I believe what you say about your ex. My wife obtained a new passport in July from Ubon. Looking at it NO where on the photo page does it say "extension of validity" and the page next to it only says ENDORSEMENTS". All other pages say "VISA".The only info so far on the nets says this is possible for an extension at Thai Embassy's and Conciliates over seas. No where does it say this is an option inside Thailand. Would be nice if the price is right. Need to keep looking for verification of this. Thanks for the input.

old style passports could be extended ( just checked )

but not the new E passports

e-Passport Application for Thai Nationals Living Abroad

Is it possible to apply for a new e-Passport or an extension of validity in a foreign country?
- Yes, it is possible to apply for a new e-Passport at a Thai embassy or consulate-general but it is not possible to extend the validity of an e-Passport.

so guess its getting a new 5 year one is the only option

Funny, Cambodia just started a few months ago issuing 10 years passports ( a huge change from 3 year ones)

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

OPPOSITE

AngelaoldThaipppage2_zpsf1614969.jpg

unless new ones are difernet;

As I said no where does that page or wording exist in the new passports . The page opposite the photos page says ENDORSEMENTS. Your passport says Extension of Validity 2010 but passport was issued in 2005. This was done some 9 years ago. This leads me to believe that extending inside Thailand is not an

option anymore.

Edited by khwaibah

e-visa now costs $40 with the processing fee and card fee.

It saves a little time on arrival but the VOA process is usually pretty efficient.

Costs $30 - you just need to complete the visa application and entry forms and have a passport size photo.

No scams at the airport, just make sure you pick the MFAIC site if you go the e-visa route. https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ContactInformation.aspx

What about getting a tourist visa from the Khmer Embassy in Bangkok ? I have enough pages in my passport and enough time to waste in Bangkok , and prefer not to get through the hassle of the e-visa process.

There are very contradictory reviews about how the Khmer Embassy in Bangkok deals with visa applications, does someone has an update ?

why waste the cab fare there an back

and wasted time?

just do it on arrival

A agree with this entirely. It is so straight forward.

I see no benefits in using my time to visit an embassy. If I wanted a visa in advance I would go the e-visa route - far less hassle than hailing a cab in Bangkok smile.png

I did not get my visa from the embassy for quite some time. Years back I lived near the subway station 'Thailand Cultural Center.' from that station it is a comfortable 30 min walk or take a motorbike taxi. The bike is important as it can go a more direct route like people who would walk. Check it on google map.

In those days it was a 2 day wait for the 20 USD visa while same day was 25. So people hung around some food places down the road from the embassy until 3 pm.

When I picked up my visa 2 days later i timed my pickup late so it was cooler and nobody in line.

Since then the Cambodian Foreign Ministry has banned such practices and fees. No idea if the embassy/consular section obliges. It was a lot of money for the officials.

If you go for same days and it is an extra 5 USD AND (!) you go via Poipet the service as they border offers the same for the same extortion fee of 5 USD extra. they even advertized the increased fee....

Your wife doesn't need a passport at all; as long as she has Thai national ID - she can enter Cambodia for up to 14 days without issue.

I'm sure that crossing is the same as Chong Chom. The Thai army and Thai immigration will let no one exit or enter Thailand with out a valid passport and no border pass or id allowed. She needs a pass port and no e-visa allowed at Choam Sa Ngam. Also Cambodia tends to inforce the 6 months left on passport, your wives only has 5 months as of now. She needs a new passport.Your wives needs to go to Ubon and get a new passport.

That's right and in any case, where border passes were ever accepted, they would have only allowed someone such as a Thai trader or gambler a one day or perhaps multiple day pass, that would only be valid for travel in the vicinity of the border, not away from it.

No way any substantial travel is ever allowed on a border pass and nor should it be. Every third party nationality needs a passport, so too do Thais. Besides, a Thai passport is cheap as chips (still only 1000 Baht), compared to the hundreds of dollars an Aussie or EU passport can cost. Only disadvantage is it's valid for just 5 years when nearly every other country issues 10 year ones (for adults).

That's right and in any case, where border passes were ever accepted, they would have only allowed someone such as a Thai trader or gambler a one day or perhaps multiple day pass, that would only be valid for travel in the vicinity of the border, not away from it.

No way any substantial travel is ever allowed on a border pass and nor should it be. Every third party nationality needs a passport, so too do Thais. Besides, a Thai passport is cheap as chips (still only 1000 Baht), compared to the hundreds of dollars an Aussie or EU passport can cost. Only disadvantage is it's valid for just 5 years when nearly every other country issues 10 year ones (for adults).

Actually Cambodia will accept a Thai national ID for up to 14 days in country; Thailand and Cambodia have a specific agreement for this (rather like the Shengen Treaty area in the EU - a driving license will enable me to merrilly wander through many countries in Europe without a passport at all). If Thailand won't let someone out without a passport - fair enough - but they can certainly enter Cambodia without one.

Actually Cambodia will accept a Thai national ID for up to 14 days in country; Thailand and Cambodia have a specific agreement for this (rather like the Shengen Treaty area in the EU - a driving license will enable me to merrilly wander through many countries in Europe without a passport at all). If Thailand won't let someone out without a passport - fair enough - but they can certainly enter Cambodia without one.

As said Thailand will let no one cross at a land crossing with out a passport this also includes Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia.