basic visa questions (first trip to Cambodia)

but u can get another 5 year extension on the thai passport ( once) , no need to apply for a new one

Whats the cost for the 5 year extension and must the passport holder go to a Thai passport office to apply ?

Edited by khwaibah
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP. Be sure to have exact change in $s.

Please allow me to simplify your post.

It's best to have "exact change" nearly everywhere in SEA except convenience stores or department stores.

Oh yeah. Taxi drivers love to give chance. 555

Yes,

ex wife had a 5 year extension, got it at the passport office in PHuket

but dont recall the cost

Look at the passport, it has on the page opposite where the photo is a page that is marked "extension of Validity"

where the place the stamp

Yes,

ex wife had a 5 year extension, got it at the passport office in PHuket

but dont recall the cost

Look at the passport, it has on the page opposite where the photo is a page that is marked "extension of Validity"

where the place the stamp

Interesting. I believe what you say about your ex. My wife obtained a new passport in July from Ubon. Looking at it NO where on the photo page does it say "extension of validity" and the page next to it only says ENDORSEMENTS". All other pages say "VISA".The only info so far on the nets says this is possible for an extension at Thai Embassy's and Conciliates over seas. No where does it say this is an option inside Thailand. Would be nice if the price is right. Need to keep looking for verification of this. Thanks for the input.

old style passports could be extended ( just checked )

but not the new E passports

e-Passport Application for Thai Nationals Living Abroad

Is it possible to apply for a new e-Passport or an extension of validity in a foreign country?
- Yes, it is possible to apply for a new e-Passport at a Thai embassy or consulate-general but it is not possible to extend the validity of an e-Passport.

so guess its getting a new 5 year one is the only option

Funny, Cambodia just started a few months ago issuing 10 years passports ( a huge change from 3 year ones)

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

OPPOSITE

AngelaoldThaipppage2_zpsf1614969.jpg

unless new ones are difernet;

As I said no where does that page or wording exist in the new passports . The page opposite the photos page says ENDORSEMENTS. Your passport says Extension of Validity 2010 but passport was issued in 2005. This was done some 9 years ago. This leads me to believe that extending inside Thailand is not an

option anymore.

Edited by khwaibah

e-visa now costs $40 with the processing fee and card fee.

It saves a little time on arrival but the VOA process is usually pretty efficient.

Costs $30 - you just need to complete the visa application and entry forms and have a passport size photo.

No scams at the airport, just make sure you pick the MFAIC site if you go the e-visa route. https://www.evisa.gov.kh/ContactInformation.aspx

What about getting a tourist visa from the Khmer Embassy in Bangkok ? I have enough pages in my passport and enough time to waste in Bangkok , and prefer not to get through the hassle of the e-visa process.

There are very contradictory reviews about how the Khmer Embassy in Bangkok deals with visa applications, does someone has an update ?

why waste the cab fare there an back

and wasted time?

just do it on arrival

A agree with this entirely. It is so straight forward.

I see no benefits in using my time to visit an embassy. If I wanted a visa in advance I would go the e-visa route - far less hassle than hailing a cab in Bangkok smile.png

I did not get my visa from the embassy for quite some time. Years back I lived near the subway station 'Thailand Cultural Center.' from that station it is a comfortable 30 min walk or take a motorbike taxi. The bike is important as it can go a more direct route like people who would walk. Check it on google map.

In those days it was a 2 day wait for the 20 USD visa while same day was 25. So people hung around some food places down the road from the embassy until 3 pm.

When I picked up my visa 2 days later i timed my pickup late so it was cooler and nobody in line.

Since then the Cambodian Foreign Ministry has banned such practices and fees. No idea if the embassy/consular section obliges. It was a lot of money for the officials.

If you go for same days and it is an extra 5 USD AND (!) you go via Poipet the service as they border offers the same for the same extortion fee of 5 USD extra. they even advertized the increased fee....

Your wife doesn't need a passport at all; as long as she has Thai national ID - she can enter Cambodia for up to 14 days without issue.

I'm sure that crossing is the same as Chong Chom. The Thai army and Thai immigration will let no one exit or enter Thailand with out a valid passport and no border pass or id allowed. She needs a pass port and no e-visa allowed at Choam Sa Ngam. Also Cambodia tends to inforce the 6 months left on passport, your wives only has 5 months as of now. She needs a new passport.Your wives needs to go to Ubon and get a new passport.

That's right and in any case, where border passes were ever accepted, they would have only allowed someone such as a Thai trader or gambler a one day or perhaps multiple day pass, that would only be valid for travel in the vicinity of the border, not away from it.

No way any substantial travel is ever allowed on a border pass and nor should it be. Every third party nationality needs a passport, so too do Thais. Besides, a Thai passport is cheap as chips (still only 1000 Baht), compared to the hundreds of dollars an Aussie or EU passport can cost. Only disadvantage is it's valid for just 5 years when nearly every other country issues 10 year ones (for adults).

Your wife doesn't need a passport at all; as long as she has Thai national ID - she can enter Cambodia for up to 14 days without issue.

I'm sure that crossing is the same as Chong Chom. The Thai army and Thai immigration will let no one exit or enter Thailand with out a valid passport and no border pass or id allowed. She needs a pass port and no e-visa allowed at Choam Sa Ngam. Also Cambodia tends to inforce the 6 months left on passport, your wives only has 5 months as of now. She needs a new passport.Your wives needs to go to Ubon and get a new passport.

That's right and in any case, where border passes were ever accepted, they would have only allowed someone such as a Thai trader or gambler a one day or perhaps multiple day pass, that would only be valid for travel in the vicinity of the border, not away from it.

No way any substantial travel is ever allowed on a border pass and nor should it be. Every third party nationality needs a passport, so too do Thais. Besides, a Thai passport is cheap as chips (still only 1000 Baht), compared to the hundreds of dollars an Aussie or EU passport can cost. Only disadvantage is it's valid for just 5 years when nearly every other country issues 10 year ones (for adults).

Actually Cambodia will accept a Thai national ID for up to 14 days in country; Thailand and Cambodia have a specific agreement for this (rather like the Shengen Treaty area in the EU - a driving license will enable me to merrilly wander through many countries in Europe without a passport at all). If Thailand won't let someone out without a passport - fair enough - but they can certainly enter Cambodia without one.

Actually Cambodia will accept a Thai national ID for up to 14 days in country; Thailand and Cambodia have a specific agreement for this (rather like the Shengen Treaty area in the EU - a driving license will enable me to merrilly wander through many countries in Europe without a passport at all). If Thailand won't let someone out without a passport - fair enough - but they can certainly enter Cambodia without one.

As said Thailand will let no one cross at a land crossing with out a passport this also includes Laos, Myanmar and Malaysia.