Ping River Levels

ChiangMaiMike

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One Thai told me that west of CM, along CM-Hangdong in recent years has a new hazard. It can get flooded from the mountains west of CM, due to the development of the Night Safari and the big government garden? project (I don't remember the exact name).

The normal flood from Chiang Dao and Mae Tang, etc. would still flow southward following the sloping terrain.

It is rising again... and there is local flooding in town in a few places. The road outside Niyom Panich near the Airport Plaza is flooded, as are parts of the area between Wua Lai Rd. and the Superhighway.

The latest reading from the site says 2.44 m. It has risen about 60 centimeters since 6 am this morning...

............and there I was just about to sell my Toyota Tiger :D I think I'll hang onto it till December :o

If you don't have a pressing need, I'd keep it. The pickups were making it through, just! Looked like the new local municipal transport. It's afternoon now, water levels the same. Obviously not just the rain, but surge from upcountry. Bonus, I can drink San Som in the office today, getting ready for a trip home, US, so I've got a day or two of relaxation. My GF not going to wander over here through the dirty water. I got a few hours before I have to walk back with dinner, "master of my own domain" as it were.

Edited by calibanjr.

Mr. Sermsak mobilizes authorities to assist Chiang Mai residents after they have faced with flash flood

Deputy Minister of Interior Sermsak Pongpanit (เสริมศักดิ์ พงษ์พานิช) has mobilized authorities to assist Chiang Mai (เชียงใหม่) residents after the flash flood has raided the province last night.

A project network, namely Mr. Warning, has been set up by the government units to train resident and warn them about the possible national disaster, including flash flood and mudslide, so that the evacuation will be held on time. He said that the system will be installed in certain areas in the North and Northeast, following the Meteorological Department’s warning of heavy rain next week.

As for the measures to deal with floods in Chiang Mai, officials have installed water pumps to help release the stagnated water.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 July 2006

Mae Rim's under water..

Chiang Mai flood: hundreds of homes inundated

CHIANG MAI, July 31 (TNA) - Incessant rains have triggered a flood inundating hundreds of dwellings in the northern province of Chiang Mai.

Run-off from Doi Suthep, the mountain that overlooks the former northern capital, caused flooding some 30-50 centimetres deep in Mae Rim district, forcing villagers to move their belongings to higher ground.

Floodwater in some areas in the provincial seat is as high as 60 centimetres, causing traffic jams near Chiang Mai Rajabhat University.

The Meteorological Department issued a flash flood warning effective July 31 through August 2 in at-risk areas in the north and the northeast. The department forecast heavy rain due to a low pressure ridge over the north and the upper part of the northeast.

The southwestern monsoon covers the Andaman sea, the Gulf of Thailand, and the southern region. Waves up to three-metres high are expected in the Andaman Sea and the upper part of the Gulf of Thailand. (TNA)-E004

I just went from Suan Dok (Maharaj hospital) past CMU and down the big klong road. Some intersections at 4 p.m. were approaching the point of being impassable, and since this is continuing, it should get worse before it gets better.

When they were building the Night Safari, some municipal/provincial authority said they'd just finished building huge storm drains below the foot of Doi Suthep, east of the zoo. You wouldn't know it when I left at 1:30 to go to town; the big klong was almost filled to the brim.

I've got an appointment in town, but I'm not going to make it.

Let's see if Chiang Mai Lake Land covers 900 square kilometers.

I just went from Suan Dok (Maharaj hospital) past CMU and down the big klong road. Some intersections at 4 p.m. were approaching the point of being impassable, and since this is continuing, it should get worse before it gets better.

When they were building the Night Safari, some municipal/provincial authority said they'd just finished building huge storm drains below the foot of Doi Suthep, east of the zoo. You wouldn't know it when I left at 1:30 to go to town; the big klong was almost filled to the brim.

I've got an appointment in town, but I'm not going to make it.

Let's see if Chiang Mai Lake Land covers 900 square kilometers.

Yeah, was a nightmare driving home on the canal road from CMU a little after 4:00pm. Torrential rains nearly all the way to Hang Dong. Odd thing, for months there were a very large number of sand bags at the corner of Suthep and the canal road and now that they are needed (that intersection is under water now) they are gone.

Just passed Mae Rim Road - looks like a river on one stretch. As of 5pm it was still passable going from north to south, but going north is worse and needs a high-clearance car. I saw a few car-cars with flooded engines.

Waterlevel going up 10 cm/hour --- and still raining. I'm not quite sure, but I think I've seen the figure 3.7 in connection with the highest waterlevel last year --- would that figure determine the same thing as the 2.87 (at 18.00) on hydro-1.net ?

Wing 41 road next to the Airport was closed this morning due to flooding. Serious deep water on the Hang Dong road right at Airport Plaza (south west corner); three lanes down to one due to deep water. They had workers our trying to clear the drains, but they were just mucking around at the small road-side inflow points -- the drain pipes themselves are probably at least partially clogged with debris (ah, all those plastic bags!).

The canal at Canal road and Suthep was at capacity this morning. As I recall last year they somehow diverted runoff from Doi Suthep toward the Ping River to lessen the impact on the Rincom interesection, etc. -- looks like this year they are not going to do that and keep the runoff from the mountains west of town in the "canal basin."

At the same time this morning the Ping was high, but nowehere near flood stage (at least south of town).

At 4pm on Monday-afternoon the Central-Airport/Hang-Dong-Road intersection was clear and operating normally, however we had further heavy rain in Mae-Jo this evening, so the full weight of water may be yet to hit in the city-centre.

Good Luck to all who live near the river ! :o

Looking at reported Ping River levels at Narawat and Mae Tang my amatuer prediction is that Narawat should reach flood stage (3.70 meters) at about 3 a.m. on Tuesday and the Thai doppler radar shows pretty heavy rain to the north of us...

Let's hope they are doing some good sand bagging...

M

For about the past 4-5 hours the per hour water level increases have been getting greater and greater.

The past hour took a really good jump. And I got a guarantee that this wouldn't happen.

Where have the water levels been increasing exactly? And who guaranteed this wouldn't happen and when?

If you like guarantees... I can assure you that if you are in Chiang Mai you have not yet seen the crest of the Ping River and won't for probably at least 7 hours... rate increase seems to be increasing only slightly... a bit more than 10 cm. per hour... adding about 1 cm/hour... 10 p.m. report from Narawat Bridge is 3.24 meters and flood stage is at 3.70 so that level should be reached about 2 a.m. or so... And heavy rains are continuing up north, so I don't see water levels going down for a while...

Good luck to those in the low lying areas.

Mike

For about the past 4-5 hours the per hour water level increases have been getting greater and greater.

The past hour took a really good jump. And I got a guarantee that this wouldn't happen.

Where have the water levels been increasing exactly? And who guaranteed this wouldn't happen and when?

On Ping River ... we're talking about flooding - as in flood - not local rainwater-poodles caused by insufficient drainage...

No. At this end of town (Near Tesco/Lotus Hoda on the Hang Dong Road there are only a few pools of lying water. Even the floods last year never stopped aviation traffic

But I fear the worst for Downtown CM

Edited by ThaiPauly

1] Rama IX Bridge

2] Moses

3] 2 weeks ago

On Ping River ... we're talking about flooding - as in flood - not local rainwater-poodles caused by insufficient drainage...

Rishi... Ping River is fairly long... I don't think it's flooding anywhere yet i.e. River out of it banks... but it looks as if that will indeed occur... and it will not flood everywhere at the same time which is why I was wondering where on the Ping River you were talking about.

later,

M

1] Rama IX Bridge

2] Moses

3] 2 weeks ago

:o I hope you keep your wheels dry over there Gonzo. I know that you are in one of the worst areas there.

1] Rama IX Bridge

2] Moses

3] 2 weeks ago

:D I hope you keep your wheels dry over there Gonzo. I know that you are in one of the worst areas there.

Already Up on blocks

Short 1 Unicorn

Threw overboard 2 skunks and 2 dirty rats....... Looked too much like politicans to me

Got an extra sheep though..... anybody interested ???

:o

Any explorer spirit out there? ... The hydro-1 website states that bank-overflow at nawarat bridge, will start at 3.7 m (which seems to happen between 2 and 4 tonight) ... Excactly where are the banks of Ping River at nawarat bridge? ... Can you sit on the benches slightly north of the bridge on the eastern bank without getting wet feet, without drowning - or what?