Ping River Levels

ChiangMaiMike

Can you sit on the benches slightly north of the bridge on the eastern bank without getting wet feet, without drowning - or what?

Rishi, you can sit on the benches and watch it rise, not a problem in the world. We shall all expect a report at first light :o

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rishi... according to Google Earth, Faham Road is 2 feet higher than the Ping River just north and east of the Narawat Bridge... I'm gonna turn in now, but hope to see you there in the morning... provided Faham Rd can be negotiated going south at 8 a.m. or so...

Happy wading,

mike

Any explorer spirit out there? ... The hydro-1 website states that bank-overflow at nawarat bridge, will start at 3.7 m (which seems to happen between 2 and 4 tonight) ... Excactly where are the banks of Ping River at nawarat bridge? ... Can you sit on the benches slightly north of the bridge on the eastern bank without getting wet feet, without drowning - or what?

As of half an hour ago the water was at least half a metre below the top of the concrete wall opposite to where the old Cottage Restaurant used to be. But it's got a fair old flow on.

... nah, if one can actually sit at those benches without immediate death-threats, when the river overflows, I'll also just turn in on my fourth floor confident that Mighty Ping doesn't tresspass my front-porch overnight

Eagerly hoping to see someone else's onsite report tomorrow morning, though.

Yea , heres a morning report..... Its wet wet wet wet......

Water is up in my back yard..

For me that makes the top of the river, higher than the top of the bottom half of my property.

That means the floors of two of my Bungalows have about 6 inches of water in them.

Thats the bad news

The good news is ..... last year we put in water beds and the fishing is great.

Gonzo

PS whatid we do wear out the hydro site, can't get on to it either

Just back from ride from Superhighway to Gymkhana golf course on Faham Road on east side of river.

Looks like Rishi can sit on his benches for a bit without getting his feet wet for now... Hydro site down so no information on river levels upstream since last night at 11:00.

Road was blocked at Narawat Bridge for southboand traffic and at Rim Ping Supermarket the water had seeped(?) through the sand bags and just gotten to the curb on the far side of the road.

Gymkhana still o.k.

M

Yea , heres a morning report..... Its wet wet wet wet......

Water is up in my back yard..

Gonzo

PS whatid we do wear out the hydro site, can't get on to it either

Gonzo... Where exactly are you located?

m

Rama !X Bridge ...... under it...... but don't tell anybody,,,,,,, I've got my pride u no

\

Got onto the Hydro site

By the readings at &AM this morn, the Narawat was at 4.15M. Don't know exactly by the bridge they take the reading but according to posts here this AM its not flooding at 4.15, but the flooding level is 3.7m

I am 2 bridges to the north and I flood at about 3.3m

Well the 8AM reading is due and it does seem to be slowing by about 1cm per hr over the past 4 hrs.

ets cross our, ..... what ever we cross for good luck

Gonzo

Good the 8AM reading shows only a 5cm rise....

Good call CM Mike..... couple more hours and they will pull out the big plug that they installed last year and we will all be sucked down just like in the toilet bown......

Will the water in this suck down be clockwise or counter clockwise where we are ????

another problem .... jeeezee

Gonzo... fine print says this: Critical level for warning

when P.67 = 4.20 m. and P.1 = 3.70 m.

But it does appear the worst is nearly over... and my forecast doesn't include a lot of heavy rain in the near term.

And under the increasing list of things I thought I knew for sure comes the myth of the direction of the vortex when water drains...

Apparently the Coreolis Effect, which does affect cyclones, doesn't care about bathtub and sink drains...

Later,

Mike

Gonzo... fine print says this: Critical level for warning

when P.67 = 4.20 m. and P.1 = 3.70 m.

But it does appear the worst is nearly over... and my forecast doesn't include a lot of heavy rain in the near term.

And under the increasing list of things I thought I knew for sure comes the myth of the direction of the vortex when water drains...

Apparently the Coreolis Effect, which does affect cyclones, doesn't care about bathtub and sink drains...

Later,

Mike

Thanks for that Mike.....

I was really worried with the vortex thingy,,,,, as I didn' know if I was going to be wiped out or the guy across the river....

But you failed to mention that which worries me the most.... being namely the Aureoleis Effectus which may cause a Maximus Erectus and make this hole thing cum back again ??? and if Hawking is listening, this ain't no black hole. !!!!

:D:o

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Update:

HEAVY RAINS

Floods hit Chiang Mai

Locals say development, night safari is blocking run-off from Doi Suthep

CHIANG MAI: -- Flash-flooding hit several parts of this northern province yesterday morning, prompting many people to point the finger at the Chiang Mai Night Safari and other new developments.

"We never suffered floods until late last year," said councillor Prasit Karbkham of the Nong Khwai tambon administrative organisation yesterday. He was adamant tree clearing in Doi Suthep-Pui National Park to make way for the night safari was the cause.

The night safari officially opened earlier this year.

"We are now increasingly worried that severe flooding may occur because the night safari is reportedly preparing to build an elephant park," he said.

Another resident was afraid the changing environment would bring fatal floods and landslides like those that struck Uttaradit in May.

Homes in the tambon of Nong Khwai in Chiang Mai's Hang Dong district were yesterday under more than 80 centimetres of water.

Flooding reached many parts of Chiang Mai city. Residents queued up for sandbags at the Chiang Mai Municipality. Tourists were stranded in hotels in Sri Ping Muang.

Sandbags formed a temporary barrier for rising flood waters, which were approaching a metre in the worst-hit spots.

"This is run-off water from the mountain. It's not like last year when the overflowing Ping River sent floods to town," Mayor Boonlert Buranupakorn said.

Hotel operators and Chiang Mai Night Bazaar merchants were keeping an anxious eye on the situation. Last year, flooding ravaged the bazaar and other commercial areas causing hundreds of millions of baht in damage.

Chaiyaphan Praphasawat, director of the Chiang Mai-based Community Rights Institute, blamed the night safari, new housing estates and roads, as well as the Chiang Mai University Mae Hia agricultural research centre and an international horticulture exposition for the environment changes around Doi Suthep.

"They have changed the water flow," he said. Chaiyaphan was one of the leaders behind the anti-night safari movement.

He complained that poor city planning had left Chiang Mai at the mercy of floods.

He warned that two villages in the tambon of Nong Khwai were at risk of landslides now that more trees were being uprooted for the development of the night safari's new elephant park.

Safari executive Uppatham Pawaputanont argued heavy rain was the cause, not the wildlife park.

"We don't have any buildings obstructing water down off Doi Suthep," he said.

Surachai Tuamsomboon heads the Suthep-Pui National Park. He jumped to the defence of the night safari and insisted heavy rain since early July meant the land could no longer absorb it.

"That's why there is flooding," Surachai said.

Downpours continued in many parts of Chiang Mai yesterday. By 3am, flood waters had risen two metres in the Mae Hia Tunnel. Several vehicles were stranded but there were no injuries.

"We have closed the tunnel. It will reopen only after we pump out all the water," local traffic police chief Major Chatchai Chuthai said.

Flooding and landslides paralysed traffic and a Mai Malai-Pa Pae highway was temporarily impassable to larger vehicles.

The Mae Rim River broke its banks and flooded more than 1,000 homes.

The weather bureau yesterday forecast more rain for Chiang Mai. It also warned residents of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Phayao and Nan to prepare for flash-floods and landslides.

In Lampang, torrential rain brought floods that damaged hundreds of homes in Mae Mo, Hang Chat and Koh Kha districts.

Resident Jantip Lhasanlue was reported missing after a flash-flood swept through her home.

--The Nation 2006-08-01

When I went to the ATM by Suthep Road and canal road, the intersection was blocked, around 9:30 today. Not sure about Night Safari, etc., but those rainfalls were so Biblical that I saw Noah float by, on the klong alongside my house. The parrots were singing along in sing-song from Hong Kong to Sing-Sing while King Kong played ping-pong on the klong.

When I went to the ATM by Suthep Road and canal road, the intersection was blocked, around 9:30 today. Not sure about Night Safari, etc., but those rainfalls were so Biblical that I saw Noah float by, on the klong alongside my house. The parrots were singing along in sing-song from Hong Kong to Sing-Sing while King Kong played ping-pong on the klong.

Canal road from Hang Dong to CMU was clear including the intersection to the Night Safari but the intersection at Suthep and the canal was still blocked with sand bags and a tent set up in the middle of the intersection, plans for a siege? This was at 11:30 a.m.

Chiang Mai News (Local Thai Paper) reported on July 31, 2549 time 17:39:49. http://www.chiangmainews.co.th/viewnews.ph...=3203&lyo=1

Excerpt as follows (translation is mine):

Heavy rain plus Mae Ngud Dam’s release of water down the irrigation canal caused flooding in several areas in CM province. The Meteorology Center for the Northern Region reported the low pressure has reached the upper northern region. This caused increase in precipitation by 70-80% for the area and heavy rain to very heavy rain in some area of CM, Chiangrai, MaeHongSorn provinces.

Heavy rain continued inside CM city started from 10pm of 7/31/06 until the morning of 8/1. This caused flash flood running off the Doi Suthep behind CMU toward the irrigation canal. Mae Kah and other streams saw overflow up their banks resulting in flood in a broad area on the irrigation road, Ton Payom Market, 41st Air Wing, Suthep Rd in front of Maharaja Nikon hospital. Water flowed into Sri Ping Muang populated area, Kad Kom, Fine Arts College – Tumbol Hay Yaw and Chang Klan.

The CM Municipality rushed water pump to Relief the flood. So many calls reporting floods causing officials to barely keep up with pumping.

Runoffs from Doi Suthep flowing into the Irrigation Canal also flooded homes in Tumbol Don Kaew, Maerim, CM. Mae Hiah local admin already sent officials to provide help.

Inside the city of CM, there were flood in several areas. Traffic police had to assist traffic jams along Chang Klan Rd, Kaew Nawarat Rd, CM-HangDong Rd., Chotana Rd. in front of Rajapatra College.

Latest report said the reason for the rise in Irrigation Canal water overflowing to flood homes along both banks was due to the release of Mae Ngud Dam in Amphur (district) Mae Tang, CM. This was complimented by flash flood running off Doi Suthep. Some risen water backflowed into the storm drain to flood streets and homes along Sri Ping Muang populated area, Kom Gate market. These low-lying areas have been perennial flooded areas. However, it is expected that later today (8/1) the water level will start to recede.

(Skip translating the lunch box distribution, etc. part)

The Meteorology Center for the Northern Region new reported that the southwest storm with moderate strength is covering the Andaman Sea and Northern Thailand. Also, the low-pressure region from upper Laos has now covered the upper northern region of the country. This condition will cause an increase of 70-80% of the area in the northern region. Heavy to very heavy rain is expected in some area of the region, especially CM, Chiangrai, Tak, MaeHongSorn. People living in the affected area, particularly those in the vulnerable sloping terrain, those living along the path of the flooding water must prepare and on alert for danger that may occurs in the next 2-3 days.

In the Prae province, Mr. Worawat Uaapinyakul, ex-MP for Prae, along with Mr. Sumrit Wichaita – head of the Prevention and Public Danger Relief Unit, and others visited the Pun Haab Reservoir in Tumbol Mae Pan, Amphur Long, Prae province. It is a 1million cu. m. reservoir on which numerous leaks have been observed along the top rim of the reservoir. The earth along the rim turned muddy. Villagers were afraid the reservoir might break like the Mae Pan Noi reservoir in the past. The ex-MP expressed concern for the people as the reservoir may break if heavy rain continued down pouring to push the reservoir to overflow.

He confirmed observing lots of leaks. Moreover, this reservoir is several times larger than the one, which broke earlier.

The head of the Prevention and Public Danger Relief Unit said the reservoir belongs to the Land Development Department that hasn’t transferred the reservoir to the local admin. So the department will have to inspect and consider remedial measures. The problem will need to be resolved quickly to mitigate danger to the villagers living south of the reservoir. Several days ago another reservoir broke. Villagers have reported leaks in other small reservoirs. He hopes the responsible government units will take responsible actions.

the article from chiang mai news above explained the quick rise in the irrigation canal water reported on this forum.

i also read from another news account that the mae ngud dam water release would bring the volume down to 70% of capacity. the news didn't mention how long it would take to accomplish that. this would be to accommodate new water to be flowing down from the north due to the rain.

so if anyone notice any fast rise in the irrigation canal, be aware of the release. thereafter the real runoff from the north may arrive at CM city. naturally part of that runoff will go into filling the mae ngud reservoir. but another portion will find its way directly down the ping river and the irrigation canal.

the direct runoff from doi suthep also contribute to the flood, especially the water that comes from the west of the city.

Chiang Mai schools closed because of floods

CHIANG MAI: -- Many schools in Chiang Mai town are closed temporarily Tuesday due to the rising floodwater.

The Sacred Heart and Chairotwitthaya schools on Charoenprathet Road announce that classes will be suspended for at least one day. They ask students to follow up news on radio stations to keep updated on whether their classes can be resumed.

The schools also ask that parents pick up students who stay at the schools' dormitories.

--The Nation 2006-08-01

Nonstop deluge leaves Chiang Mai awash

Continuous rainfall since Sunday night has left much of Chiang Mai under water, causing serious disruption to traffic and forcing the temporary closure of two schools.

The provincial authorities are holding urgent meetings to discuss ways of easing the flooding.

Many areas in Chiang Mai, especially the main landmarks in Muang district, have been flooded since Sunday night. The floodwaters caused heavy traffic congestion yesterday as many roads had to be closed.

The deluge has also halted many construction projects, and the two schools have been closed until the floodwaters recede.

Officials said the flooding was aggravated by clogged drains.

Deputy Governor Vilas Rujiwattanapong said the Provincial Flood, Storm and Landslide Control Committee was summoned immediately to discuss ways to deal with the situation amid concern about a further rise in water levels.

“The water level of the Ping River in central Chiang Mai at 10am was 2.20 meters, which is 1.50 meters below the critical level. However, it is rising as water from the higher ground in Chiang Dao and Mae Taeng districts are merging. We are doing all we can to keep the water level at under 2.50 meters,” Vilas said.

However, after nearly 20 hours of nonstop rain, the water level in the same spot at 5pm yesterday was 2.77 meters. The Northern Hydrographic Center said that the city will be submerged soon if the rain does not stop.

A report by the Northern Meteorological Center said that the rain is the result of a low pressure system over northern Laos that is moving towards Thailand. However, the center expects the situation to return to normal by this afternoon.

The extent of the financial damage caused by the flooding has not yet been estimated.

Source: ThaiDay - 1 August 2006

Mr. Alarm will be appointed in each disaster-prone village to help give warnings

The Interior Ministry will appoint two people in every village in risk areas as “Mr. เตือนภัย”, or Mr. Alarm, to help warn members of their communities before disaster hits.

Deputy Minister of Interior Sermsak Pongpanit (เสริมศักดิ์ พงษ์พานิช) said these Mr. Alarm will closely watch water levels and rain volumes and if the villages are under threat of floods or mudslides they will have to alert villagers of the danger so the people can evacuate to safety.

Mr. Sermsak said training for those selected to be Mr. Alarm will first be held in 17 upper northern provinces from August 7th to 18th.

Source: Thaisnews - ประจำวันอังคารที่ 1 สิงหาคม 2549

We live near the Canal Road- Samoeng intersection. Yesterday morning, the new Baan Nai Fan gated community (one of ther best in Chiang Mai) near the Night Safari was flooded to about thigh level. Friends who have lived there for year say this has never happened before

Chiang Mai News (Local Thai Paper) reported on July 31, 2549 time 17:39:49. http://www.chiangmainews.co.th/viewnews.ph...=3203&lyo=1

Excerpt as follows (translation is mine):

Heavy rain plus Mae Ngud Dam’s release of water down the irrigation canal caused flooding in several areas in CM province.

Heavy rain continued inside CM city started from 10pm of 7/31/06 until the morning of 8/1. This caused flash flood running off the Doi Suthep behind CMU toward the irrigation canal. Mae Kah and other streams saw overflow up their banks

resulting in flood in a broad area on the irrigation road, Ton Payom Market, 41st Air Wing, Suthep Rd in front of Maharaja Nikon hospital. Water flowed into Sri Ping Muang populated area, Kad Kom, Fine Arts College – Tumbol Hay Yaw and Chang Klan.

The CM Municipality rushed water pump to Relief the flood. So many calls reporting floods causing officials to barely keep up with pumping.

Runoffs from Doi Suthep flowing into the Irrigation Canal also flooded homes in Tumbol Don Kaew, Maerim, CM. Mae Hiah local admin already sent officials to provide help.

Inside the city of CM, there were flood in several areas. Traffic police had to assist traffic jams along Chang Klan Rd, Kaew Nawarat Rd, CM-HangDong Rd., Chotana Rd. in front of Rajapatra College.

Latest report said the reason for the rise in Irrigation Canal water overflowing to flood homes along both banks was due to the release of Mae Ngud Dam in Amphur (district) Mae Tang, CM. This was complimented by flash flood running off Doi Suthep. Some risen water backflowed into the storm drain to flood streets and homes along Sri Ping Muang populated area, Kom Gate market. These low-lying areas have been perennial flooded areas.

......... Heavy to very heavy rain is expected in some area of the region, especially CM, Chiangrai, Tak, MaeHongSorn. People living in the affected area, particularly those in the vulnerable sloping terrain, those living along the path of the flooding water must prepare and on alert for danger that may occurs in the next 2-3 days.

Several times in recent years I have told people of seeing water running UPHILL in front of Suan Dok hospital in the area of Wat Suan Dok, and on Huay Kaew Road just uphill of Kad Suan Kaew - no-one has ever believed me (except my wife who also witnessed it on one occassion.

Here the news reports are statements that seem to indicate standing floodwater all over the footslope areas of Doi Suthep

Amazing Thailand Huh?

Anyone phoned Mulder and Scully yet?

-----------------------

Hey you - Where's my <deleted>' parcel?

Where-is-my-parcel.jpg

(picture from last year's floods.

I'm kinda new to Chiang Mai so I am not good with directions here yet.

I was over by the Sheraton this evening and crossed the bridge there. I went right after that and immedicatly hit a flooded street (with a current).

Kids, don't try this at home. I was stupid for doing it but I drove through it all the way to the downtown area. I was very lucky not to have stalled my little Honda in the middle of that mess.

If you do find yourself up to your shins in water my advise is, keep your bike in first gear, stay in the center of the road, and don't stop. Not driving too fast will help you control the bike when the water gets a little higher than your shins. If you go too slow I am not sure what would happen. I suspect the water might go inside your muffler and stall out your bike.