US midterm elections: Barack Obama’s legacy could be ruined in one day

webfact

US midterm elections: Barack Obama’s legacy could be ruined in one day

WASHINGTON: -- WHILE we’ve been focusing on a horse race, the US has been preparing for a day that could leave Barack Obama’s presidency in tatters.

Tonight, the polls open in America’s midterm elections, which will determine who gets to control the Senate and House of Representatives in Washington, D.C. Mr Obama’s Democratic party is expected to lose its majority in the Senate.

That would leave the president facing a hostile, unified Republican Congress for the final two years of his term, severely limiting his ability to govern.

WHAT ARE THE MIDTERMS?

Every four years, halfway between presidential elections, Americans vote for congressmen, senators and governors. This time, 435 House seats, 36 Senate seats and 36 governorships are up for grabs.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-midterm-elections-barack-obamas-legacy-could-be-ruined-in-one-day/story-fnh81jut-1227112676877

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-11-04

Well, I don't know about the assertion that his legacy will be ruined by losing control of the Senate. In my view, his legacy is clear, Obamacare and moving forward LGBT civil rights. I just don't see that legacy being reversed by the republicans winning the Senate. Will they win the Senate? Well, it appears so at this point.

• Like 2

He is a good President and a descent person.

I hope the USA people would recognise that and give him the control of the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Honour your good people.

Are you on drugs? In my book, and the "books" of a few million others, this POS is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Presidency, or the US for that matter. This jerk spends more time on a golf course than in the Oval Office, and has done just about everything he can to disrespect and dishonor ALL American service men & women and veterans. He has done his best to destroy the American Constitution, and uses his "Executive Orders" to totally bypass Congress whenever he feels like it. And if Obama Care is soooo good, why isn't he on it? If the guy dropped dead tomorrow, the only tear I would shed is the one over the fact that it didn't happen sooner.

All Americans are actually effected by the Obamacare law including Obama. There is no such thing as being on Obamacare. It's not national health care. It's simply a way to greatly expand access to health care through already existing means ... private health insurance, medicare, medicaid, and now expanded medicaid in the non-right wing controlled states.

• Like 1

That is a democratic talking point, so they can pretend to be be "happy" about losing an election. wink.png

Mate, I'm not a democrat. I don't think I'd fall into line with any of your political parities. Neither are economically responsible in the way Id define economic responsibility, so none of them would get my vote.

It is pure political maths I'm talking about.

Your house elections are based on districticts so gerrymandered that they only people who win them are the extremist warriors on either side. Neither of them are a good look to mainstream voters.

Presidential elections though are different. The only ones who win are the ones who appear to be down the Middle with a nod to their respective side.

Bush was a 'compassionate' conservative to appeal to those for whom the genghis khan jihadism of the religios right was an athema.

Bubba Clinton had that particular gift of being all things to all people. A southerner. A conservative. Wall streets best friend. Americas 'first black president' all rolled into one.

To be president, you can't be an extremist. And to have a backdrop of extremists as you run for president is probably the ideal thing. You let your opponents do your campaigning for you.

No, my analysis is hopefully an objective one from someone who enjoys watching the US political scene as someone else might enjoy football.

BTW, regards of the Senate outcome, the majority of Americans support expanded civil rights for LGBT people are they also support Obamacare (expanded access the health care, insurance companies not being allowed to turn down people based on health history, etc.). Again, those two things are clearly Obama's biggest legacy and he won't be losing that. While he has disappointed even his supporters, I think you'd better wait for more time to pass by before putting his presidency in historical perspective. People saying he is the worse president in history I think they are tripping.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz says that the Democratic Party will hold the Senate after Tuesday evenings midterm elections. I'm not sure that she is capable of telling the truth, even by mistake, so that bodes well for the GOP.

Well, it's not over till it's over but I wouldn't be betting that way personally.

I'm not a Democrat or an Obamabot, but I think most would agree that his legacy is the health care bill that was passed a few years ago. Even if the opposing party takes control of both houses of congress and then repeals the law, the president can still use his veto. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but unless the Republicans somehow get to 60 seats in the Senate, his legacy (for better or worse) will remain intact after this election.

His legacy will be long remembered most fondly by President Jimmy Carter, who now is being considered in some quarters as the second worst President in US history.

The worst being the moron Dubbya?

Obama gets negative grades for his handling of most key issues:

• Negative 40 - 55 percent for handling the economy;
  • Negative 37 - 57 percent for foreign policy;
  • Negative 40 - 58 percent for health care;
  • 50 - 40 percent for the environment;
  • Negative 44 - 51 percent for terrorism;

Obama has been a better president than George W. Bush, 39 percent of voters say, while 40 percent say he is worse. Men say 43 - 36 percent that Obama is worse than Bush while women say 42 - 38 percent he is better. Obama is worse, Republicans say 79 - 7 percent and independent voters say 41 - 31 percent. Democrats say 78 - 4 percent that he is better.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2056

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

That is a democratic talking point, so they can pretend to be be "happy" about losing an election. wink.png

Mate, I'm not a democrat. I don't think I'd fall into line with any of your political parities.
I'm not accusing you of being a democrat. I'm accusing you of repeating one of their talking points, which they have come up with recently, as it looks more and more likely that they might lose the election. I don't believe that they - or Hillary - are looking forward to the Republicans controlling both houses, no matter what they might claim to save face.
Fair enough.

Perhaps or is all of those things too. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a political truism. Hillary will want the republicans political tide flowing out rather than in when she runs. Having them win now achieves that.

As for their talking points, I don't have cable. Let alone US cable. Too busy to read too much analysis elsewhere. Wouldnt have a clue what their talking points are right at the moment.

Edited by samran

Obama's legacy could be ruined in one day? How short-sighted can someone be... He's been working tooth and nail for the last 6 years to secure his position as the worst president in the history of the US...

Ben Stein on President Obama...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47_H4GE6L40

Why do you completely undermine yourself with a clip from the propaganda channel?

• Like 2

Every re-elected president has his 6th year itch election. While at that point the incumbent president has two years remaining in the term, and the prez's name is not on any ballot, the country is thinking of him when they go to vote.

The six-year itch election has hammered every re-elected modern president except Bill Clinton in 1998 (the bubble times were still good).

The particular reasons of the hammering for each president differ, but the 6th year itch election remains a consistent and persisting reality - the president's party gets hammered or just plain blasted out of office across the country.

The four times-elected Prez Franklin Roosevelt had taken a clobbering in his 6th year election, in 1938. In 1958 World War II hero and grandfather Dwight Eisenhower saw his Republican party lose control of the Senate for what turned out to be continuously until 1980 and take a serious hammering in the House. In Regan's 6th year election in 1986 Republicans lost control of the Senate and lost more seats in the House, .

In George Bush's 6th year itch election in 2006 Republicans lost control of both the House and the Senate and lost their majority of governorships.

The most important factor in any president's 6th year itch election is that too many of his supporters turn a cold shoulder to stay at home, while a disproportionate number that reject him grab their pitchforks and storm the polling stations en masse across the country.

The outstanding particular factor in this year's 6th year election being held today is that a large number of Democratic party incumbent senators are running for re-election in Red states, states in which Obama took a trouncing en route to his otherwise successful 2008 and 2012 elections. The D party senators on the ballot in those red states are gonners no matter what, which means the R party will almost for sure win control of the Senate.

When the new Republican controlled Congress takes office in January, the battle lines between the R controlled Congress and the D in the White House will be absolutely clear for everyone to see.

Enter Hillary Clinton and 2016 when voter demographics and political party loyalties of the broader electorate will be consistent with those of the 2006 Bush 6th year itch election wipeout and with the 2008 and 2012 one-sided victories of President Obama.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

Every re-elected president has his 6th year itch election. While at that point the incumbent president has two years remaining in the term, and the prez's name is not on any ballot, the country is thinking of him when they go to vote.

The six-year itch election has hammered every re-elected modern president except Bill Clinton in 1998 (the bubble times were still good).

The particular reasons of the hammering for each president differ, but the 6th year itch election remains a consistent and persisting reality - the president's party gets hammered or just plain blasted out of office across the country.

The four times-elected Prez Franklin Roosevelt had taken a clobbering in his 6th year election, in 1938. In 1958 World War II hero and grandfather Dwight Eisenhower saw his Republican party lose control of the Senate for what turned out to be continuously until 1980 and take a serious hammering in the House. In Regan's 6th year election in 1986 Republicans lost control of the Senate and lost more seats in the House, .

In George Bush's 6th year itch election in 2006 Republicans lost control of both the House and the Senate and lost their majority of governorships.

The most important factor in any president's 6th year itch election is that too many of his supporters turn a cold shoulder to stay at home, while a disproportionate number that reject him grab their pitchforks and storm the polling stations en masse across the country.

The outstanding particular factor in this year's 6th year election being held today is that a large number of Democratic party incumbent senators are running for re-election in Red states, states in which Obama took a trouncing en route to his otherwise successful 2008 and 2012 elections. The D party senators on the ballot in those red states are gonners no matter what, which means the R party will almost for sure win control of the Senate.

When the new Republican controlled Congress takes office in January, the battle lines between the R controlled Congress and the D in the White House will be absolutely clear for everyone to see.

Enter Hillary Clinton and 2016 when voter demographics and political party loyalties of the broader electorate will be consistent with those of the 2006 Bush 6th year itch election wipeout and with the 2008 and 2012 one-sided victories of President Obama.

Didn't Clinton get his gift from God with the 1994 mid terms? Newt was manna from heaven for Bubba. Best campaign prop that he could have wished for.

• Like 1