Ideas to help motivate exercise for people who don't really enjoy it

Jingthing

Everyone's being softly, softly with you, gently prodding your rolls and not suggesting a swift kick up the ass with something that might hurt.

For the reward punishment, maybe this.

As a member here, I reckon that you average 30 + posts on the Forum.

Then 2 mins rowing = 1 post

The more you row ... the more you post.

JT, my friend ... simples ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David48 -- please do not bother addressing me personally. As you know quite well, I will not respond to your posts. Engaging with you in any way is not good for my health, and I value my health.

Cheers and Adios (again).

Edited by Jingthing

How about posting a daily photo of the rowing machine with the date/time on it on this forum, to show that you have done your rowing exercice?

Even better , if it could show the amount of time you have done it.

You will get plenty of peer support.

A complete different approach: set a specific time for the exercise, say 11 AM or 3 PM. And this time it has to be done, no matter what. No gifts or punishment as failure isn't an option.

Like cleaning your teeth in the morning and in the evening. There is no reward for it and still most people do it. (Well at least I assume so)

A complete different approach: set a specific time for the exercise, say 11 AM or 3 PM. And this time it has to be done, no matter what. No gifts or punishment as failure isn't an option.

Like cleaning your teeth in the morning and in the evening. There is no reward for it and still most people do it. (Well at least I assume so)

That is the whole point its all about discipline and mental toughness. Some people have it and others don't. When I wanted to loose weight I did my rowing sessions.. now i do a lot less. But its just a mental state you need to get into.

Though everyday.. I did that for a few months.. but longer as that would be crazy. Its IMHO better to have some longer sessions but less. Makes things easier. However different folks different strokes.

That is the whole point its all about discipline and mental toughness. Some people have it and others don't. When I wanted to loose weight I did my rowing sessions.. now i do a lot less. But its just a mental state you need to get into.

Though everyday.. I did that for a few months.. but longer as that would be crazy. Its IMHO better to have some longer sessions but less. Makes things easier. However different folks different strokes.

You are right. But if you can do it without discipline because you love to do it, it is much easier. First choice should be always to like what you do and if you don't trick your mind into liking it. Or at least don't bother much. Hating it, but do it out of discipline is the hardest way.

Rowing is definitely something I wouldn't know how to trick myself in liking it.....

You are right. But if you can do it without discipline because you love to do it, it is much easier. First choice should be always to like what you do and if you don't trick your mind into liking it. Or at least don't bother much. Hating it, but do it out of discipline is the hardest way.

Rowing is definitely something I wouldn't know how to trick myself in liking it.....

I just don't like cardio too much.. prefer lifting weights.. rowing is the best of the bad choices for me. Best would be hiking in the forest every day. However where i live.. biggrin.png

How about posting a daily photo of the rowing machine with the date/time on it on this forum, to show that you have done your rowing exercice?

Even better , if it could show the amount of time you have done it.

You will get plenty of peer support.

That's a good general idea to add that might be of interest to others in perhaps some other communities.

Personally, I don't feel this forum is a supportive community.

Too much heat, testosterone poisoning, and bickering for me to feel that.

Cheers.

I just don't like cardio too much.. prefer lifting weights.. rowing is the best of the bad choices for me. Best would be hiking in the forest every day. However where i live.. biggrin.png

As you know, this thread is about motivation, not a topic to debate best types of exercise.

Personally like I said I have already been doing this thing but wanted to change the time I do it. If telling yourself it just has to be done works for you or some people, that's great. As said, this thread is about motivational ideas and that's an idea for people that works with. Seems kind of basic but of course people are different, what works for some doesn't work for others.

Of course some things would probably work for almost everyone. Like hiring a sadist to live with you and whip you if you don't perform. That's an idea. But for most, not an acceptable one.

It just occurred to me the specific kind of issue I presented in the OP is not just around motivation but rather strongly related to PROCRASTINATION. I am already well motivated to do the desired task, so much so, that I have been doing it consistently for years without any special game or trick. But the problem presented here was about PROCRASTINATING on doing the task (that I have been doing eventually).

I thought of a similar example.

I need to file taxes by a deadline.

In my case, there is no extra price to pay to file near the last minute.

So in my case, I seem to always wait till near the deadline.

I even legally extend the deadline dragging that out.

Now as far as my government's tax agency, they don't care whether I file early or last minute.

But for ME ... it is on my mind for months ... haven't done it yet ... when will I do it ... will I really be ready to it last minute when there is no time to address problems. So it's a stress.

Procrastinating on the exercise is a similar kind of stress ... I know I should do it earlier ... I know I will do it eventually ... but there is stress until it is done.

Yes I could IN THEORY just order myself to do it early ... but for some reason I don't.

I am a procrastinator.

Maybe you aren't. Good for you. If you think that makes you a better human being with better morality than those who are procrastinators, congratulations, enjoy the feeling of superiority.

In the tax case, I am well MOTIVATED to do the filing ... eventually ...but it's the timing that is the problem.

Interestingly this year I was feeling I wasn't even going to make the deadline ... so I remember I made up a reward in my mind that I would allow myself the moment I managed to file the tax form to motivate me to get it done. It wasn't the work load that was delaying it, it was that infernal procrastination.

It got done and I did the reward.

I guess predictably the reward was a special food.

So maybe I had my answer all along ... but starting this thread and thinking it through brought it out in the open (to me).

Now it has occurred to me I can probably play this reward game next year and motivate myself to file my tax form MUCH EARLIER, saving me the stress of knowing it needs to be done later for months and months. I see no reason why this can't work. No, simply telling myself to do it earlier won't work for me. That would be nice though. Maybe next life.

The only problematic thing I see with these reward game tactics is the use of FOOD as a reward. I might consider other kinds of rewards for other things. Big fun!

So I'm pretty happy that I started this thread!

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

Once you changed your diet, your mind is clearer, your mind is more focused, you have more energy, so you will enjoy moving around and do exercise more naturally.

It's all in the mind and the mind needs also to be in perfect shape.

Count me out then! Perfection is above my pay grade! Seriously, this idealism and macho posturing is for the birds.

It's not about perfection or macho posture.

It's about giving the right chemicals to your brain.

Then everything is easier

I agree about chemicals. Coffee for one. Definitely feel better eating more real food fresh food and veg but not ready to go on a raw food juice diet or anything extreme like that. Enjoyment of food is a great pleasure of life.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing

Once you changed your diet, your mind is clearer, your mind is more focused, you have more energy, so you will enjoy moving around and do exercise more naturally.

It's all in the mind and the mind needs also to be in perfect shape.

Count me out then! Perfection is above my pay grade! Seriously, this idealism and macho posturing is for the birds.

It's not about perfection or macho posture.

It's about giving the right chemicals to your brain.

Then everything is easier

Well, it is a bit about perfection....what is wrong to TRY to live perfect healthy and do it to perfection as good as you can.

And of course if making weight training, it is often a bit Testosterone driven. But what is wrong with it? If it is healthy (or I believe so) what is wrong if it makes fun to move heavy weights, or race with the bicycle because male hormone tells my brain that it is fun? It isn't hurting someone. Actually it helps to get rid of buried aggressions.

Fine if that's your bliss. Obnoxious if suggesting there is something wrong with others just because they don't share your enthusiasms.

Where do you read that I suggest it is wrong if someone isn't enthusiastic?

Could it be that you are a little bit aggressive against others who seem to manage it easier (Robblok, Kitsune and myself)?

You can't ask how to help motivating for exercise and than blame others who are enthusiastic.

If you don't want to read from enthusiastic people on a motivation topic you should name it: "I'm not motivated and want to meet people who do worse so I feel better myself".

Edited by h90

Why not add 5 minutes of riwing for each hour you start late.

That's a really excellent ideaclap2.gif and exactly the type of idea I was fishing for. I could do that INSTEAD of my current game and I reckon it would work really well in "persuading" me to start earlier. Might try that idea later but really what I've baked up is so MUCH MORE FUN for me so I'll keep with that for now.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, "success" is in sight as I've done the deed earlier now TWO TIMES and there just might be some yummy sashimi out there with my name on it! I don't even remember the last time I might have done it "earlier" two times in a row so yes, the trick is working. Before someone mentioned a flaw of not being instantly rewarded every time. That is true, but my system does reward me the night the THREE in a row thing is done. Of course not required to "collect" that night but can.

OK, now here is a little "problem" -- I am having a little trouble coming up with lots of ideas for the reward foods. It has to be both somewhat of a special treat, will generally be somewhat expensive (no need to be very expensive), and also a HEALTHIER food choice. Not "diet" food per se ... just good food that isn't a problem, like deep fried food, rich sugary desserts, etc. I don't have any unusual food restrictions, and yes I DO eat the meat.

OK sashimi fits ... other ideas?

Edited by Jingthing

I think robblok's suggestion is the way to go. Why should you allow you rewards for doing something that's already beneficial for you?

Think about all the (handicapped) people who would happily change with you/your problems... Yeah, i know, sounds cheesy.

I already did the exercise before. I find guilt tripping and Calvinist preaching abhorrent. I agree Rob's idea is very good. It's just mine is much more fun ... I choose more fun same results. Super easy decision!

Edited by Jingthing

Why not add 5 minutes of riwing for each hour you start late.

That's a really excellent ideaclap2.gif and exactly the type of idea I was fishing for. I could do that INSTEAD of my current game and I reckon it would work really well in "persuading" me to start earlier. Might try that idea later but really what I've baked up is so MUCH MORE FUN for me so I'll keep with that for now.

Cheers.

Thanks.. in the end.. whatever works for you.

There was a time i tried to row straight after i woke up, to save time and such. In the end it did not work for me but it is the best thing to do for energy and fat loss. However i found out that i skipped too many times and doing it in the evening worked better. Even tough I knew that in the morning would have extra benefits.