Ideas to help motivate exercise for people who don't really enjoy it

Jingthing

Will see how it goes. So far so good. Looking forward to the weekly "REWARDS"! Now I might want to try Rob's idea later should I grow tired of the rewards, run out of ideas for the rewards, feeling too skint to pay for the rewards (lot of variety is the ideal, spice of life and all that), or start suffering from a case of Cheap Charley-itis (I hear it's going around).

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already did the exercise before. I find guilt tripping and Calvinist preaching abhorrent. I agree Rob's idea is very good. It's just mine is much more fun ... I choose more fun same results. Super easy decision!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Motivation = Manipulation, do you really think it's more fun?

You are a grown up man, do you really think you need this self-deluding gear?

• Like 1

I already did the exercise before. I find guilt tripping and Calvinist preaching abhorrent. I agree Rob's idea is very good. It's just mine is much more fun ... I choose more fun same results. Super easy decision!

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Motivation = Manipulation, do you really think it's more fun?

You are a grown up man, do you really think you need this self-deluding gear?

Now you're trying to SHAME me? Not interested. bah.gif

Might as well also say as note to mod -- as OP I request thread closure (your option of course to honor request). As it has now apparently devolved, I think the topic is done. It was quite good while it lasted and thanks to those who provided POSITIVE input! Really!

Edited by Jingthing

I retired 15 years ago but when I was a working stiff, the company I worked for had its own gym.

The instructors set up a Rowathon to motivate folks.

The object was to record the distance you row each time and it worked.

(For simplicity I don't mention calories burnt or time to complete etc, depends what your machine can give)

We started to compete with each other and motivation was good.

Even on your own, if you have a big piece of paper (even a toilet roll LOL) and draw a horizontal block graph against a scale so you can see the total and daily distances.

If you decide to row twice a day, then have one "member" called Morning and the other Afternoon, now you can compete with yourself LOL

If you could get someone else to participate, even better.

Just thinking, it could work?

Good luck.

Presuming that the OP is residing in Thailand, then a suggestion maybe a more regular sleep pattern.

It's 2.30am (Thai time) yet the OP cannot seem to find the desire to sleep.

So, maybe a change away from being a night-owl and the ensuing sleep pattern may provide a platform for a healthier lifestyle

and a regular 'wake' time in the morning from which the OP could build an exercise routine.

• Like 1

I retired 15 years ago but when I was a working stiff, the company I worked for had its own gym.

The instructors set up a Rowathon to motivate folks.

The object was to record the distance you row each time and it worked.

(For simplicity I don't mention calories burnt or time to complete etc, depends what your machine can give)

We started to compete with each other and motivation was good.

Even on your own, if you have a big piece of paper (even a toilet roll LOL) and draw a horizontal block graph against a scale so you can see the total and daily distances.

If you decide to row twice a day, then have one "member" called Morning and the other Afternoon, now you can compete with yourself LOL

If you could get someone else to participate, even better.

Just thinking, it could work?

Good luck.

Thanks.

I've been doing the rowing for years.

Rarely miss it.

Good suggestions you have for some.

For me: OVERKILL.

I'm just not a GUNG HO person on exercise, never haven been, never will, never WANT to be.

It's not my passion. Not interested. Interested in other things. I need to do it to stay alive ... that's all.

Thankyou ... I can see you are sincere.

Cheers.

• Like 1

JT,

You probably wont answer but still how long do you row per day ? Just curious and good that you done it for years. Personally I have done rowing for up to 50 minutes an hour at high speed. I will never like this (prefer the weight lifting) but i like how it burns fat.

Its hard for me too mentally, i have to get it up to 50 minutes (takes a month), not because its so hard but because mentally I have problems doing something like that for 50 minutes. That is why i got the rowing program and TV series, it helps a bit.

50 minutes of weight lifting is far more fun for me (others will hate that too)

JT,

You probably wont answer but still how long do you row per day ? Just curious and good that you done it for years. Personally I have done rowing for up to 50 minutes an hour at high speed. I will never like this (prefer the weight lifting) but i like how it burns fat.

Its hard for me too mentally, i have to get it up to 50 minutes (takes a month), not because its so hard but because mentally I have problems doing something like that for 50 minutes. That is why i got the rowing program and TV series, it helps a bit.

Congratulations on actually reading the OP!clap2.gif

Me: What I am not looking for is criticism of my exercise program

You: You probably wont answer but still how long do you row per day ?

JT,

Well, I have to say that I was curious about how long you row too.

I didn't see Robs question as a criticism at all.

So do you need the motivation to row for long stretches or what?

Please do tell what your goals are.

Cheers

A fun update.

As was predictable, it is working.

The psychology of it works brilliantly for me anyway because the negative consequences (lost credits towards reward) become more serious.

In other words, fail the day 1, not much lost.

Fail day 2, more lost.

Fail day 3, a loss I really feel (no reward, lost 2 credits towards 3).

So today being day 3 and I really didn't feel like it at all ... there was little that could have stopped me from doing it before sundown.

Now, I am self aware to suspect that this whole scheme is coming from my dark subconscious looking for a way to give me "permission" to spend more money at local restaurants, but I don't care, even if that is the case, so far I am happy with it.

OK, another side effect ... thinking more than usual (which is already an awful lot and clearly out of the "normal" range) about what to eat!

Edited by Jingthing

JT,

Cheers

I said my goals clearly in the OP. The thread has already satisfied my goals. Cheers.

JT,

Cheers

JT sees everything as an attack that was why I typed that he probably would not answer. I was just curious was not even criticism at all. But JT is a bit paranoid about stuff like this.

I even typed that I have problems doing long rows (truth) trying to defuse the question but it was as expected.

• Like 2

Not all threads need to be about everything. If you want a thread on exercise programs, start your own. The intended focus of this one was made VERY CLEAR. Some people got that and I do appreciate the responses that were ON POINT.

Edited by Jingthing

JT,

Cheers

JT sees everything as an attack that was why I typed that he probably would not answer. I was just curious was not even criticism at all. But JT is a bit paranoid about stuff like this.

I even typed that I have problems doing long rows (truth) trying to defuse the question but it was as expected.

OK, The OP says that this thread has satisfied his goals.

Great news.

Hasta proxima LOL

• Like 1

Not everything, dude. But you have posted vicious personal attacks at me a number of times over the years. So -- thank you again for the ON POINT idea about extra 5 minutes though!

Not everything, dude. But you have posted vicious personal attacks at me a number of times over the years. So -- thank you again for the ON POINT idea about extra 5 minutes though!

Hey robblok ... if you had a choice on this forum being referred to as either 'Dude' or robblok' ... which would you prefer?

Hey robblok ... if you had a choice on this forum being referred to as either 'Dude' or robblok' ... which would you prefer?

I feel dude is offensive, but others don't. David we met you know that Rob (first-name) Blok (last name) is how I would be liked to called.

• Like 1

The only rewards for me is being, looking and feeling much stronger. The down side is I wanna shag anything that moves.

biggrin.png there is no downside for you, only if your wife finds out biggrin.png

But your right feeling great and being in shape also influences ones sex life. That as such is a great reward.

I feel dude is offensive, but others don't.

Dude is simply California English widely adopted now in American style English. It refers to a male person. It is not a slur word. This is an English speaking forum ... American English included in that, perhaps some non-native English speaking dudes do not appreciate the richness of the English language. Contrary to what many people have incorrectly posted here over the years, it is NOT an archaic out of use term and it is NOT only for teenagers from the 1970's.

Edited by Jingthing