Ideas to help motivate exercise for people who don't really enjoy it

Jingthing

I feel dude is offensive, but others don't.

Dude is simply California English widely adopted now in American style English. It refers to a male person. It is not a slur word. This is an English speaking forum ... American English included in that, perhaps some non-native English speaking dudes do not appreciate the richness of the English language. Contrary to what many people have incorrectly posted here over the years, it is NOT an archaic out of use term and it is NOT only for teenagers from the 1970's.

That is what you say.. i feel its offensive. You seem to be ok with putting others down but when something is said you don't like you sulk around like a kid that has been told off by his mom.

We are not in California here and most other English speakers don't like it much either.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is what you say.. i feel its offensive. You seem to be ok with putting others down but when something is said you don't like you sulk around like a kid that has been told off by his mom.

We are not in California here and most other English speakers don't like it much either.

Whatever, dude. Again with your insulting attacks on my personality. Heard it before like 100 times, can't you give it a rest?

Edited by Jingthing

When I retired I was overweight, high cholesterol, blood pressure,,,etc.

I decided to join a gym and my rationale was, ,,,ok, I'm retired,,,but I am going to get up in the morning and go to the gym,,,,,,as if I was still working,,,,in other words, exercise was my new job and I motivated myself to that line of thinking

I lost a bunch of weight, and my numbers began to be good

Thanks for that on point observation.

I can understand how that type of message to yourself would work for many people.

Whatever, dude. Again with your insulting attacks on my personality. Heard it before like 100 times, can't you give it a rest?

You been using dude even though i said i don't like it.. pot kettle black or something like that.

If you hear it so many times.. maybe its true. Because I can guarantee you that its not only me telling you this.

You been using dude even though i said i don't like it.. pot kettle black or something like that.

If you hear it so many times.. maybe its true. Because I can guarantee you that its not only me telling you this.

Are you finished now? If you want to discuss how much I suck as a human being in your opinion and some of your buddies, maybe you can find a more apt PLACE to do that. Like down at the bar or the gym. This thread is about a specific topic of potential interest to the general public, not for you to dredge up your long standing personal baggage of your personal dislike of me personally.

Edited by Jingthing

Are you finished now? If you want to discuss how much I suck as a human being in your opinion and some of your buddies, maybe you can find a more apt PLACE to do that. Like down at the bar or the gym. This thread is about a specific topic of potential interest to the general public, not for you to dredge up your long standing personal baggage of your personal dislike of me personally.

No I am not finished JT.. I asked a perfectly normal question and you answer stupidly and let the tread degrade into this. Because your over sensitive. Your posting things at a public forum live with it and toughen up a bit.

Had you not reacted so over sensitive and just answered it nothing had happened as I had no intent at all I was just curious and supportive. But I get rattled from your answers I should Ignore you but like you I have my faults but at least I am man enough to accept that. You don't

The best thing in the world for exercise motivation is to have a partner, noooooooo not your wub.png , someone with the same goals. It definitely works, got the T-shirt, and my buddy did too...........thumbsup.gif

That helps for some of us, when I was still real young 16 or so I started training with a partner and if you are of similar strength and stamina that can help a lot. It was a great time and helped a lot, though this is a bit harder when rowing as its more individual.

Though my rowing machine can hook up to the internet with other rowers and you can virtually row together. You will see the other party on you computer screen. (you do need to hook it up to a computer then)

I should Ignore you ...

You are more than welcome to put me on ignore. thumbsup.gif That would be excellent.

I haven't put anyone on ignore yet and are not going to start with you. If i were to ignore you it would be through self control. But i doubt that I will even the most innocent of questions seem to provoke strange reactions from you.

Besides its an open forum and posts evoke responses live with it.

(just been reading first page)

You could see if the rowing affects your metabolism and thus triggers the digestive process.

If the body is resting, and there's unprocessed food in there, rowing could "wake-up" the body and cause gastric juices to be emitted etc.

You can also "force" the digestive process, somewhat, by laying down, stretching out, and doing deep breathing.

So if you can learn to better control your metabolism; you'll certainly be in control of your body more, and, you'll be incentivised to work-out for a higher standard of living (timed control of blood sugar levels etc).

I suppose it might seem a bit mystic so "doing" could be a form of learning. Another way to look at it is; take control of the metabolism rather than being a hapless passenger.

Edited by RandomSand

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on this.

Well, this little trick to myself is working very well, as predicted.

Since I started, have not missed one day of the scheduled rowing, and always in time to earn a reward credit.

The only minor glitch I've found is that twice already I haven't really felt like collecting the reward right away on the 3rd day earned.

I think it's best if I do that same night, but see no reason in forcing it if I don't feel like it.

It's not about reluctance to spend extra money as I thought it might be, more like just not craving anything special right away.

As said, my food cravings in general are very well in check (thanks to Garcinia Cambogia).

So I "bank" the reward.

So far not a problem to reward some days later ... but I think it might not be good to bank the reward too long ... like past the next reward end cycle.

The other downside is I do spend too much time fantasizing about what the reward will be. I am a little thin on ideas on what exactly to choose ... foods that will be felt as really extra special but also not unusually unhealthy.

My baseline eating is already pretty darned delicious (restaurants and my own cooking) so finding good choices (and different ones) for the reward just isn't very easy for me.

Edited by Jingthing

Congratulation ... you just discovered that most of the pleasure comes from anticipation of the reward and not the reward itself.

Soon, you might realise that you don't even need the reward, and that your new habit, ontime scheduled rowing, requires little or no effort to keep in place.

• Like 1

Congratulation ... you just discovered that most of the pleasure comes from anticipation of the reward and not the reward itself.

Soon, you might realise that you don't even need the reward, and that your new habit, ontime scheduled rowing, requires little or no effort to keep in place.

No chance! bah.gif

No chance! bah.gif

you already forgot to claim the reward twice ... it's gonna take great will power to ensure you don't forget more often :-)