Computer Where has my exchange gadget gone?

elgordo38

I have lost the gadget that shows me the Thai baht vs my own currency. It became frozen last Friday. I could not reload it and make it work. We have 3 computers and the rate is frozen on all of them. This is a really handy item to have. Any ideas on how to get it functioning again? Are you having the same problem?

Microsoft stopped supporting the sidebar and gadgets a year or more ago for security reasons. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gadgets

The currency gadget stopped updating last week, as the OP mentioned. For the time being the weather gadget is still working.

It's a bit annoying really as as far as I know there is no other Windows gadget with such a small footprint that provides only the desired information of the exchange rate between two currencies. All the others I have seen are either much larger or contain much more unwanted information, or both.

• Like 2

Note (November 2014): It seems that MSN decided to stop this service, and the gadget won’t update exchange rates anymore. You can download and try it, but most probably it will remain useless. However, a new currency converter, not depending on MSN, will be published on this page the next days. I hope you enjoy it!

use this one : www.valuta.nl/thailand.bath

gives actual exchange rates every 15 minutes

Link not working.

Try this www.valuta.nl/thailand.bath

And this http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

Edit

Replace the . (dot) with a _ (underscore) between thailand and bath

Seems the thread changes it automatically to a dot

Edited by ravip

Many, many websites provide real time currency exchange rates...and if using Chrome or Firefox just install one of numerous currency exchange apps/extensions/add-ons. If you want to know the exchange rate Thai banks are giving for incoming wire transfers, notes, sight bills, cheques, etc., just use this website: Link.

But ignore the statement on the site where it says "For ATM rates selected TT currency type" as that is a bogus statement because ATMs use the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate or the local bank DCC rate if selected (just say no to DCC)...they do not use the TT Buying Rate using for incoming wire transfer although the TT rate and Visa/Mastercard exchange rates will be pretty close excluding any foreign transaciton fee your card-issuing bank may apply.

Many, many websites provide real time currency exchange rates...and if using Chrome or Firefox just install one of numerous currency exchange apps/extensions/add-ons.

Of course, but that's not the point. The desktop gadget is (was) a permanent desktop indication of just the particular rate desired in a very small footprint and as such cannot be compared to a website.

• Like 2

Google "fix weather gadget.zip"

it will load all gadgets,use it all the time

keep a copy on file,gadgets don't load run the fix

hope this helps

tryed attaching the file.said can't upload this type of file

I dont think that's the problem here. The currency gadget does load but doesn't update. I suspect this is to do with some change that the data provider has made to the feed. But as MS no longer support the gadget (or any gadget) they wont be bringing out a new version that takes account of whatever change has been made to the feed.

This post http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/774406-computer-where-has-my-exchange-gadget-gone/#entry8636435 suggests that a third party may soon release a modified gadget that will work, but I'm somewhat suspicious of gadgets that dont come direct from MS as they are potentially very insecure (which is why MS pulled the plug on them).

• Like 1

Try this > http://www.xe.com/apps/

XE Currency Apps
Need to calculate currencies on-the-go? With the XE Currency App, you can access live exchange rates, view historical charts, and calculate prices on your smartphone or tablet. With over 25 million downloads worldwide, this FREE app is available for iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, Windows, and Firefox OS devices.
I have it on my Win 8.1 Desktop.

• 2 months later...

Tried that one but the following restriction made me delete it pretty fast.

it does not remember your settings (each time you start Windows defaults to the USD / Euro pair), and it works always in pairs, you cannot convert an amount to several currencies simultaneously.

The one I linked can show up to 6 currency pairs ( including gold, silver, platinum and palladium) at the same time, and what was also important to me is that you can resize it, so it's readable on my 42" monitor on the wall.

Edited by Anthony5