A bride’s age troubles village in Cambodia

Jonathan Fairfield

A bride’s age troubles village in Cambodia

CAMBODIA:-- Weddings are normally happy occasions, but the illegal marriage this week of a 14-year-old bride and her 45-year-old groom in Siem Reap province drew much concern from onlookers.

According to multiple officials and villagers, the pair, Sreng Va and a 14-year-old, married on Wednesday in a ceremony in Varin district’s Srenoy commune.

Duong Thavary, chief of Siem Reap police’s anti-human-trafficking unit, said a series of complaints about the marriage were filed by local villagers.

“It is unusual” to see such an age gap, she said. “We will investigate this case to find out whether the girl is really in love or if she was forced to marry.”

The Cambodian Civil Code, introduced in 2011, says neither “men nor women may marry until they have reached the age of 18. However, if one of the parties has attained the age of majority and the other party is a minor, at least 16 years of age, the parties may marry with the consent of the parental power holders or guardian of the minor.”

But legal expert Sok Sam Oeun said “very few people” know about this rule.

“After the girl has her first monthly cycle some parents [still] think that she can be married,” he said, adding that complaints about underage marriages are rarely filed to the courts.

In Srenoy, commune chief Soun Ley said he did not give the couple permission to marry.

He said that after the wedding, “when I asked the girl, she said that she had loved the man for three year”.

The couple could not be reached yesterday.

Thavary said there were also concerns that the bride, who is under the age of consent, could be taken out of Cambodia by her Vietnamese groom.

“If the girl lives in Vietnam it might not be safe for her. There is a risk of human trafficking,” she said.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY ALICE CUDDY

Source: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/bride%E2%80%99s-age-troubles-village

phnom_penh_post.png
-- Phnom Penh Post 2014-11-07

• Like 1

In Greece, and especially in the villages, about 60 years ago, when a girl came to the age of menstruation, about 12 to 13, the parents made sure that would find a husband for her.

The explanation was that as she was expected to be a virgin at her time of marriage, parents were afraid that she would loose her virginity to somebody else.

Hence the rush.

I believe this was a custom in other Mediterranean countries also, but not sure.

Of course now we live in different times........but I wrote that as a reference to the old days.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So then poster, you think a 14 year old is mature enough to make big decisions like that ? Wow, you have a lot of growing up yourself.

If it's truly consensual, I see no problem with it, aside from all the problems that come with virtually all marriages.

Nayet, As I am sure you and your pals Jimmy, Gary and Rolf have held regular discussions on this topic, it would be difficult to change your mind.

For the rest of the readers, lets just remember Paedophilia is a touchy subject!

If it's truly consensual, I see no problem with it, aside from all the problems that come with virtually all marriages.

So then poster, you think a 14 year old is mature enough to make big decisions like that ? Wow, you have a lot of growing up yourself.

But "He [commune chief Soun Ley] said that after the wedding, “when I asked the girl, she said that she had loved the man for three year”.

So because she fell in love with him at age 11 it's okay then.

Not judging but, hmmm, let me try to do some math here. My wife is 28 years younger if she was 14, I would have been.. Yes, quite right, in large measure due to my cultural background, well, no way. I have heard other similar stories of young girls in the villages. I do believe an age difference does have different acctance than in some other farang cultures. I do not support trafficking but I also try to not judge other cultures through my background culture.

Some may be mature enough, some may not. The point is, it's not for me to say. I have seen some 50-year-olds who don't seem mature enough to make such decisions, but does that mean anyone else should have the right to prevent them from getting married?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nayet, As I am sure you and your pals Jimmy, Gary and Rolf have held regular discussions on this topic, it would be difficult to change your mind.

For the rest of the readers, lets just remember Paedophilia is a touchy subject!

My post was not an endorsement of the above or any other relationship/marriage between an adult and a child. I am also not suggesting that we can blindly trust the word of a child who says a relationship or marriage is consensual. To suggest that I am a pedophile, or that I am giving the thumbs up to the likes of Rolf Harris is obviously a knee-jerk reaction and not the result of rational thought. I am fairly confident that my feelings toward child molesters are not much different from yours.

Edited by Nayet

“It is unusual” to see such an age gap"

my 61 yr old friend has just married a 26 yr old and built a house for himself and one for her family in a small dust bowl village an hour from civilisation

on top of that he has officially married her thus entitling her to 50% of his sizeable pension if / when he dies

asked why he has given all this control to someone with 5 years education and two previous village husbands he said..

because i love her

• Like 1

This used to be common in the western world.... Unfortunately it's still practiced in many cultures. I believe the second most common religion in the world reveres a certain marriage of a girl much younger.... to a man much older than this example. .. according to scripture anyway....it's cultural. ... just glad it's not my culture. ..

• Like 1

I didn't let my daughter Date until 16.... Married at 14 ? we have a special group of inmates who would love to spend some quality time with that groom who's been "loving " her for 3 years? so 11 yrs old.... <deleted>

Quality time just for being a tenant LOL. The reason is not important. Looks like a European pedophile. Of course our own J.L.L married his 14 yr young 2nd cousin LOL

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy

This used to be common in the western world.... Unfortunately it's still practiced in many cultures. I believe the second most common religion in the world reveres a certain marriage of a girl much younger.... to a man much older than this example. .. according to scripture anyway....it's cultural. ... just glad it's not my culture. ..

Depends if u are a man or a girl. Obama says that in his sweet religion hhahaha ( remember the dirtbag is a Msulim) u make up the rest

"it was once called carnal knowledge of a minor, now it's peadophilia"

Not quite the same thing, carnal knowledge is of s girl under the legal age of consent whereas pedophelia is a sexual attraction to pre-pubescent girls, which are pre-menstrual and the younger the better for the pedo.

my 61 yr old friend has just married a 26 yr old and built a house for himself and one for her family in a small dust bowl village an hour from civilisation

on top of that he has officially married her thus entitling her to 50% of his sizeable pension if / when he dies

asked why he has given all this control to someone with 5 years education and two previous village husbands he said..

because i love her

I think that that is called DICKFEVER,,,,,Many elderly get that whistling.gif I had that once,,,,got a cure for that :))

because i love her

I think that that is called DICKFEVER,,,,,Many elderly get that whistling.gif I had that once,,,,got a cure for that smile.png)

Had it since I was 16. No sign of it abating yet.

whoopee

• Like 2

In America up until the 1970s in many parts of the USA not just the South ...marriage at age 15 or even 14 was not seen as uncommon ... or caused a lot of consternation ... .that is just the way it was ... times were what they were...

because i love her

And? We have Thai Visa members older than him with younger wife but the point is both are above the age of consent where the law says its up to them to make that choice. In the case of the 14 year old even Thai law says she must be 15 years old to be legally able to give consent. Before that its statutory RAPE. Each country makes thier own rules on what the age of consent is. Thailand 15, certain prefectures in Japan 13 and diferent states in USA have difeferent age.

The rules are made because the child is not considered mature enough to make that decision , would be very easy to suduce a child with gifts, money affection thats why rules are made.

And? We have Thai Visa members older than him with younger wife but the point is both are above the age of consent where the law says its up to them to make that choice. In the case of the 14 year old even Thai law says she must be 15 years old to be legally able to give consent. Before that its statutory RAPE. Each country makes thier own rules on what the age of consent is. Thailand 15, certain prefectures in Japan 13 and diferent states in USA have difeferent age.

The rules are made because the child is not considered mature enough to make that decision , would be very easy to suduce a child with gifts, money affection thats why rules are made.

Actually in Thailand 13, as long as they are married, or get married once discovered.

My post was not an endorsement of the above or any other relationship/marriage between an adult and a child. I am also not suggesting that we can blindly trust the word of a child who says a relationship or marriage is consensual. To suggest that I am a pedophile, or that I am giving the thumbs up to the likes of Rolf Harris is obviously a knee-jerk reaction and not the result of rational thought. I am fairly confident that my feelings toward child molesters are not much different from yours.

Seems to most of us that was an endorsement of the relationship. Did you not say "as long as it was consenual I don't see a problem"? The girl is 14 now and they have been dating for 3 years since she was what 11? That is way below the law for legal consensual sex in Thailand and therefore statutory rape.In the case of the 14 year old even Thai law says she must be 15 years old to be legally able to give consent. Before that its statutory RAPE. Each country makes thier own rules on what the age of consent is. Thailand 15, certain prefectures in Japan 13 and different states in USA have different age.