New Chinese Consul in Phuket officially open

Lite Beer

New Chinese Consul in Phuket officially open

The Phuket News

1415416866_1-org.jpg

A plaque was unveiled to officially open the Chinese Consul in Phuket.

PHUKET: The People’s Republic of China officially opened its new Phuket Consular Office on Thursday.

Located at the Royal Place condominium in Samkong, opposite Tesco Lotus, the new office is the only other Chinese consulate in southern Thailand. The first is located in Songkla province.

Students from the ASEAN Phuket Thai Hua School and teachers from Prince of Songkhla University's Confucius Institute entertained the event's 300 guests with a variety of cultural performances.

Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong and an entourage of officials from Phuket and Phang Nga welcomed Chinese Ambassador to Thailand HE Ning Fukui and Vice Consul General Mrs Wang Huijuan, head of the new Phuket Consular Office.

Also in attendance was Consul General of The People’s Republic of China in Songkhla, HE Zhang Jinxiong.

Ambassador Fukui said the establishment of the Phuket Consular Office demonstrated the Chinese Government's dedication to developing friendly relations between China and southern Thailand.

As well as providing assistance to the approximately one million Chinese tourists visiting Phuket annually – about one fifth of the total number of foreign visitors to the island each year – consular services will include processing of visa applications for study and travel.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/new-chinese-consul-in-phuket-officially-open-49544.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-08

They may have jumped the gun a bit, at least in the wording of the article.

The new consulate is definitely not open, and that photo was taken somewhere else (not at the consulate office)

The new consulate office is still under renovation. They have been working madly over the past 6 weeks and the noise has been horrendous. The chaps doing the construction are nice fellas though - I dropped some fruit over to them the other night (our office is next door and adjoined to theirs). Though they did have a good laugh at my very poor Mandarin. laugh.png

I am dreading the parking situation when they do finally open, its already tight for car space there.

The new HC has been working for several months, albeit in an unofficial capacity. She assisted to to get a stolen iPhone returned to the Chinese owners. The phone was stolen by the manager of a hotel on Phi-Phi island, (and I would love to name this hotel so as to warn others, but telling the truth in Thailand falls foul of the defamation laws....)