Jobless Phuket beach vendors urged to register

Lite Beer

Jobless Phuket beach vendors urged to register
Nattha Thepbamrung

1415428214_1-org.jpg

Vice Governor Jamroen Thippayapongda chats with masseurs, urging them to register with local authorities in order to seek alternative employment opportunities. File photo

PHUKET: Vice-Governor Jamroen Thippayapongda met with officials and beach operators on Wednesday and Thursday (Nov 5-6) to discuss progress on efforts to provide alternative employment opportunities for the hundreds of people still seeking new jobs after being evicted from Phuket’s beaches.

Discussions focused on the Rawai, Naiharn, Kata and Karon areas, where masseurs, beach chair operators and vendors were predominantly affected by the loss of trade with tourists.

V/Gov Jamroen stressed the importance of those seeking work to get themselves properly registered with the authorities, noting that 259 masseurs had already done so and were now gainfully employed at hotels which had cooperated with the municipality and took them on as hotel staff.

Up to 80 people will be allowed to work in designated areas at each of the beaches but those workers must be local residents, it was revealed.

Beach chairs will not be allowed back on the beaches, it was concluded.

The arrangement for Surin Beach is yet to be concluded while the legal implications of Nor Sor Lor land in the area are being discussed.

However, Cherng Talay Mayor, Ma Ann Samran, said there was no need to allow the chairs back on the beach as ‘no one was affected by the policy’.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/jobless-phuket-beach-vendors-urged-to-register-49547.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-08

A friend of mine owns a hotel ,bar and laundry in Karon.

He has had a sign outside advertising many positions for months now and not one person has applied.

Probably think they will have to do something instead of lazing around on their phones

The point is that these people had an income far higher than 300 Baht/day for a long time, they have obligations to meet, children going to school, installments for the motorcycle, supporting relatives residing upcountry.

• Like 1

Have been advertising for people to work here in Patong paying 15,000 per month, as well as People for Malaysia paying up to 100,000 baht per month, 4 weeks on and 1 week off. The ad was sent out 25,000 girls saw it, 2700 people liked it but not 1 phone call, message or enquiry of any kind. People don't want to work period… they are lazy and simply just want money for nothing. It all changes when the Farang boyfriend decides he wants a new girl and stops giving them money.

Probably because they didn't believe it

He has had a sign outside advertising many positions for months now and not one person has applied.

Probably think they will have to do something instead of lazing around on their phones

The point is that these people had an income far higher than 300 Baht/day for a long time, they have obligations to meet, children going to school, installments for the motorcycle, supporting relatives residing upcountry.

I guess slowly but surely they simply have to adjust to the situation, which has always been a reality for others non-educated people.

If Phuket is anything like the rest of Thailand, I'm sure there's more than enough holes in the roads for the government to hire them give them a shovel some cold patch asphalt. I just avoided a pothole here last night that was no shit, at least 50cm deep. Big enough to kill anyone on a motorcycle or rip the wheel off a car.

Edited by Guitar God

Too bad they had an illegal business and were trespassing on government property, not paying any rent or any income tax.

Great business model, until you get caught and have to work within the rules like everyone else does.

I wonder how many minutes I'd last renting out seats at Don Muang airport or picnic tables at a park?

• Like 1

Should have thought about the future. (Many don't) wai2.gifwai.gif

Gambled and lost...

what on earth are you talking about?

I can't speak slowly here so, I'll try to keep it simple.

#1. As in any job, nothing is certain.

#2. They worked illegally.

And they knew it. wai2.gifwai.gif

They gambled their future away going for the easy big(ger) bucks.

By breaking laws.

Party over.

Better?

P.S. See post #10.

Edited by iReason

Gambled and lost...

By breaking laws.

Party over.

Better?

P.S. See post #10.

No not really any better. I don't know how long you've been in Thailand or if you've been to Phuket? I arrived in Phuket in 2001 but had visited many times previously. The massage girls and the sunchairs had always been on the beach. They paid rent and probably thought they were legit, in fact in a civilzed World they would have been according to land rights and rights of occupation. In the beginning when they had contracts with the municipal government they probably were legal - in fact, the local government are now inviting masseuses back to the beach on the proviso they are local people from the area, so it would seem these people are being harassed because they're not from the area, not because it was illegal. Please tell me, oh sanctimonious one, do you think it fair that these people who have been there for 15 years to my knowledge are made to be criminalized and move out and a month later, local people are allowed to take up their spots? One law for one and another law for locals but the point is, it CAN'T have been illegal can it, if they are allowing others to come in and do what they just said WAS illegal. For one it's illegal and for another it's not? How did they "gamble their future away" going for big bucks? These are masseuses not high rolling poker players or mafiosa leaders in a prostitution ring. People like you make me barf

@ Alwyn

"I arrived in Phuket in 2001 but had visited many times previously. The massage girls and the sunchairs had always been on the beach." - I doubt the people working on the beach in 2014, were the same ones working back in 2001.

"They paid rent and probably thought they were legit" - so they should have no problem supplying years of rent receipts. As for them thinking they were legit - I think that they thought they were "protected." There is a big difference between being "legit" and being "protected" by corrupt officials.

"in a civilzed World they would have been according to land rights and rights of occupation." - to my knowledge, Thai beaches have never been abandoned. They have always been the property of The King. Thus, no rights of occupation.

"the local government are now inviting masseuses back to the beach on the proviso they are local people from the area" - Thai's discriminating against other Thai's. How is that legal?

Look for my new business opening soon. I'll be renting out umbrellas and selling beers at Wat Pho and in the front lawn of the royal palace. I'll keep my receipts from the people who don't own it so I'll be legit.

His point was, at least it's money of a sorts, better than nothing, until something better comes along...

Gambled and lost...

By breaking laws.

Party over.

Better?

P.S. See post #10.

No not really any better. I don't know how long you've been in Thailand or if you've been to Phuket? I arrived in Phuket in 2001 but had visited many times previously. The massage girls and the sunchairs had always been on the beach. They paid rent and probably thought they were legit, in fact in a civilzed World they would have been according to land rights and rights of occupation. In the beginning when they had contracts with the municipal government they probably were legal - in fact, the local government are now inviting masseuses back to the beach on the proviso they are local people from the area, so it would seem these people are being harassed because they're not from the area, not because it was illegal. Please tell me, oh sanctimonious one, do you think it fair that these people who have been there for 15 years to my knowledge are made to be criminalized and move out and a month later, local people are allowed to take up their spots? One law for one and another law for locals but the point is, it CAN'T have been illegal can it, if they are allowing others to come in and do what they just said WAS illegal. For one it's illegal and for another it's not? How did they "gamble their future away" going for big bucks? These are masseuses not high rolling poker players or mafiosa leaders in a prostitution ring. People like you make me barf

“…probably thought they were legit…”

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

“…land rights and rights of occupation”

All Thai know the beaches belong to the King.

So, in actual fact they were disregarding him.

“…they probably were legal…”

There’s that word “probably” again…

“it would seem these people are being harassed because they're not from the area…”

Ever hear of the Burmese? The Laos ? The Cambodians? The falang?

Welcome to xenophobia central.

“…a month later, local people are allowed to take up their spots…”

Nit-picking but, 3 months later.

“For one it's illegal and for another it's not?”

Welcome to Thailand. It’s only been 13 years?

“People like you make me barf”

Barf away.

It will help clear your system…

thumbsup.gif

Edited by iReason
  • Like 1

I ran a business near BKK, advertised on many sites, in Thai and EN, put up ads outside the business and never had a single person apply for a job. Every hire was a friend of a friend. I think when they say that Thailand has a near 0% unemployment rate, they mean 0% of the people out there who aren't working, aren't interested in getting a job.

Gambled and lost...

Quite right, those affected who lost their income after years of operating without a hitch should have realized that the coup's were not over, that finally they would lose their livelihoods when the parties and investors they once served and agreed with, would in turn take over their area for the sake of "progress". When all is said and done, new people will take over these areas with their own chairs, restaurants and vending operations but now sanctioned by the latest installment of power. They should have known that it was going to happen, why didn't they know in advance? By the way, did you lose any money in the financial meltdown due to bad investment choices, as many investors did, when they followed the advice of various banking firms and lenders? Did you also lose your mortgage because you couldn't predict that the variable interest rates would double or triple within a few years' time? How could you not have known about it in advance? Only you are to blame, just like these little people working their low-paying jobs they've had for years on beaches along with many others. Yup, they shoulda known.

I ran a business near BKK, advertised on many sites, in Thai and EN, put up ads outside the business and never had a single person apply for a job. Every hire was a friend of a friend. I think when they say that Thailand has a near 0% unemployment rate, they mean 0% of the people out there who aren't working, aren't interested in getting a job.

As a rule Thai people don't venture into a completely unknown situation. They might want to work, but they will only apply if a relative/friend recommends it, and is preferably already working there himself/herself.

"One law for one and another law for locals"

One price for Thais and another for farangs...

same same but different ... welcome to the REAL world

TIT

• Like 1

His point was, at least it's money of a sorts, better than nothing, until something better comes along...

Indeed. Same as the rest of us when circumstances change. But, there again, we farang weren't brought up with an overblown sense of entitlement. We THAI! Suck it up w00t.gif

Gambled and lost...

Quite right, those affected who lost their income after years of operating without a hitch should have realized that the coup's were not over, that finally they would lose their livelihoods when the parties and investors they once served and agreed with, would in turn take over their area for the sake of "progress". When all is said and done, new people will take over these areas with their own chairs, restaurants and vending operations but now sanctioned by the latest installment of power. They should have known that it was going to happen, why didn't they know in advance? By the way, did you lose any money in the financial meltdown due to bad investment choices, as many investors did, when they followed the advice of various banking firms and lenders? Did you also lose your mortgage because you couldn't predict that the variable interest rates would double or triple within a few years' time? How could you not have known about it in advance? Only you are to blame, just like these little people working their low-paying jobs they've had for years on beaches along with many others. Yup, they shoulda known.

"...did you lose any money in the financial meltdown due to bad investment choices, as many investors did, when they followed the advice of various banking firms and lenders?"

"Did you also lose your mortgage because you couldn't predict that the variable interest rates would double or triple within a few years' time?"

No.

I don't gamble.

"... when they followed the advice of various banking firms and lenders..."

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Som nam naa.

"Yup, they shoulda known."

Yes.

They did know what they were doing was illegal. wai2.gifwai.gif

Party over.

send me PM I've got 2 friends looking for work. Thanks

"One law for one and another law for locals"

One price for Thais and another for farangs...

same same but different ... welcome to the REAL world

TIT

I wasn't even thinking about farangs, Most people are aware of the dual pricing policies and the fact that laws don't really apply to us. I was talking about the Thais. One law for the locals who are allowed to run a massage table on the beach and another law for Thais who are not local as it's illegal and the beach belongs to the navy/King. There is either a law that says you can't have massage tables etc or there isn't.

TIT

send me PM I've got 2 friends looking for work. Thanks

Call any hotel, they will be hiring