Never be alone with a Female Thai teacher In One Room…..

Hello and Sawasdee khrap,

Okay, now it happened twice and I thought something similar must have happened to others as well.

The head of the English department at my former school once told me that it would be against Thai culture if a man and a woman would be alone in a room. Even in a classroom, once the kids went home. w00t.gif

I knew that she was a sort of weird and didn't really think much about it. So how can you stay in a classroom, or the office and discuss some important issues you might, or might not have? wub.png

Same happened to me last Friday. A high school English teacher from my school was asking me if I couldn't help her out to train one of her students for a story telling competition.

When I went to the third floor to look for the student and the teacher, she acted really weird. She started to open all the wooden windows and said something I couldn't follow.

“You wife tell you, man and woman don’t stay in room alone?” facepalm.gif

Gladly the student arrived and I wasn't alone with her anymore.

When she showed me the completely wrong written story of Hansel and Gretel and I told her if she could send it to my e-mail account to correct it, she said:

“No, I have to keep my secret.” Okay, will bring my memory drive on Monday and infect it with all your viruses of your notebook.blink.png

Did anybody on this forum experience something similar, or am I soooooo handsome that they get confused? biggrin.png

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange, it seems like most teachers would come to a new country to learn about and appreciate the customs and people of the new country rather than ridicule and point fun at that culture.

I appreciate most Thai culture, but I a sort of disagree with people who blame ghosts for anything they don't understand.

My point being is that it doesn't seem to be the rule for Thai teachers. At least not at schools.

My post was no intention to make fun out of Thai culture, I apologize.

I misunderstood. Apologies.

And so I hate to have another go at your posts but your comment, "who blame ghosts for anything they don't understand", as easily applied to Christianity as well ;-)

I would be quite interested in your observations as a teacher about student behavior and cheating, etc.

Also, I saw a young farang teacher outside a school on a recent trip to Samui and he was dressed in traditional Thai loose fitting shirt, pants and the long cloth belt around his waist. Is this typical dresscode for teachers at private or public schools?

Cheers

Strange, it seems like most teachers would come to a new country to learn about and appreciate the customs and people of the new country rather than ridicule and point fun at that culture.

I appreciate most Thai culture, but I a sort of disagree with people who blame ghosts for anything they don't understand.

My point being is that it doesn't seem to be the rule for Thai teachers. At least not at schools.

And so I hate to have another go at your posts but your comment, "who blame ghosts for anything they don't understand", as easily applied to Christianity as well ;-)

I would be quite interested in your observations as a teacher about student behavior and cheating, etc.

Also, I saw a young farang teacher outside a school on a recent trip to Samui and he was dressed in traditional Thai loose fitting shirt, pants and the long cloth belt around his waist. Is this typical dresscode for teachers at private or public schools?

Cheers

You might find it interesting that people in a nearby village killed all the black dogs, nailing a white shirt, or towel on their doors, with the dead dog's blood on it, to avoid ghosts from coming in.

They even topped that by putting on Make-Up on their sons faces, to fool the ghost and had signs outside their houses that no young men would live there.

Why comparing it to Christianity?

Sir, I can't follow your sentence what my observations as a teacher about student behavior and cheating, etc...has to do with my post.

Neither do I understand what the farang on Ko Samui and the way he was dressed has to do with my observation.

You should have asked the young teacher on Samui this question.

I usually wear ironed pants, a long sleeve shirt and a neck tie at my public school.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Cheers

You might find it interesting that people in a nearby village killed all the black dogs, nailing a white shirt, or towel on their doors, with the dead dog's blood on it, to avoid ghosts from coming in.

Why comparing it to Christianity?

Sir, I can't follow your sentence what my observations as a teacher about student behavior and cheating, etc...has to do with my post.

Neither do I understand what the farang on Ko Samui and the way he was dressed has to do with my observation.

You should have asked the young teacher on Samui this question.

I usually wear ironed pants, a long sleeve shirt and a neck tie at my public school.

Yes, I do find it interesting about the black dog story. Thanks.

I don't believe my curiosity had anything specifically to do with your post, but rather a general curiosity about your observations as a new teacher.

I would have asked the young farang directly except he was a crossing guard and performing his duties--besides he had a rather strong body odor as if he hadn't showered for some days. I had thought how ironic it was that he wanted so much to dress the part but the students must have surely made jokes about his odor behind his back.

Cheers and good luck in your new career.

• Like 1

I guess that some people associate Christianity with ghosts because of the Christian concept of three gods in one (the trinity): Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Not really. the Christian churches adopted pagan festivals and changed them into Holy days in order to in over the populace without trying to outlaw their traditional beliefs. Change them over softly softly.

One of the biggest problems Farangs have in their understanding of ghosts, is that their knowledge on the subject mostly comes from Hollywood movies and other television programmes. They are so entrenched in this understanding that they are for the most part incapable of seeing that their understanding is flawed

• Like 2

P.S. There's a possibility that such rules are more common in rural areas?

I hope you are not teaching English.

• Like 2

Of course the teacher is correct.One should not be alone in a room with any female-even wife or sister.Foreigners do not understand this rule of course because they have never ever thought of avoiding sexual thoughts or stopping altogether the actual act of sex.Short to say basically foreigners model is to have as much sex as he can wnenever and wherever he can.

Vedic culture is the opposite-one should limit iones sex life to basically having sex only for producing children.Even Cathilics propose the same rule but few follow.So that is the origin of this rule.One cannot make spiritual advancemet if he or she cannot control the tongue(vegetarian)or the genital.Spirituallif is the opposite of material life.In the spiritual world there is zero sex life as we know it-there is no lust.So obviously if one wants to live there in peace eternally then we have to come up to the standard although most people who populate this hell we are presently in have little desire to get out or even try.Cheers.Read Bhagavada Gita as it is or view youtube channel "excan1" for more info.

"I appreciate most Thai culture, but I a sort of disagree with people who blame ghosts for anything they don't understand."

Best line I've read here for ages.

And no, Christians don't blame ghosts. If the ill-educated think that's the case, a few of your unoccupied moments consulting Google would help you.

Originally Thai culture is rather up-tight when it comes to a man and a woman in the same room. This is related to the national sport here that is having intercourse with a many woman as possible. You have seen an example of a woman keeping up the appearance of being decent. Given the amount of 24 hour hotels doing good business all over the country many woman are also involved in the game.

"I appreciate most Thai culture, but I a sort of disagree with people who blame ghosts for anything they don't understand."

Best line I've read here for ages.

And no, Christians don't blame ghosts. If the ill-educated think that's the case, a few of your unoccupied moments consulting Google would help you.

Actually well-educated.

Pray for gods help recently?

We had the best crew of university intern teachers I have come across last year, we would often eat lunch together in and out of school.

The interns used their time to understand western culture and constantly question me on all subjects.

We were leaving for lunch one day and a teacher approached the girl who was sharing my bike, and told her it was inappropriate to be seen out of school with me, even though there were 6 of us together.

She explained we were friends, I was married and we were all going for lunch like we do every day - the old teacher offered to drive her in her car. The girl pretty much told her to mind her own business and the girl was quite upset that someone should try and tell her how to behave when she had done nothing wrong.

We had the best crew of university intern teachers I have come across last year, we would often eat lunch together in and out of school.

The interns used their time to understand western culture and constantly question me on all subjects.

We were leaving for lunch one day and a teacher approached the girl who was sharing my bike, and told her it was inappropriate to be seen out of school with me, even though there were 6 of us together.

She explained we were friends, I was married and we were all going for lunch like we do every day - the old teacher offered to drive her in her car. The girl pretty much told her to mind her own business and the girl was quite upset that someone should try and tell her how to behave when she had done nothing wrong.

A smart girl will not place herself in a position where impropriety could be misconstrued.

Ask any successful businesswoman in the US who wants to make it clear she got where she got from brains and not by having sex with the boss.

If your position is in anyway a superior or authority figure to this girl then you were 100% out-of-line.

A smart girl will not place herself in a position where impropriety could be misconstrued.

Ask any successful businesswoman in the US who wants to make it clear she got where she got from brains and not by having sex with the boss.

If your position is in anyway a superior or authority figure to this girl then you were 100% out-of-line.

We were colleagues .. In a big group going out for lunch.

Sorry but in the UK this is quite acceptable behavoir.

To put it into perspective, Another intern was sleeping with another western teacher at school.

It's best to cover yourself.Never be in A room alone with any woman.If she decides to say you did something wrong it could go

Bad for you.Cover your butt.Make sure another person is in the room with you and A female.

Sure, a single female and her married sister LOL