Which bank atm has the largest withdrawal amount

Bangkok Bank ATM max per pull is 25K based on quite a few posts I seen lately and my personal experience. No doubt you may run across a machine running low on cash or maybe has a lower limit, but 25K will be the max per pull for the majority of Bangkok Bank ATMs.

That's 25K "regardless of card used"....foreign or domestic....be it a foreign Visa which incurs a Bt150 fee with Bangkok Bank....be it a foreign Mastercard which incurs a Bt180 fee with Bangkok Bank....be it a foreign American Express card that only incurs a Bt50 fee with Bangkok Bank...be it a Thai bank which would incur from a zero to 20 baht fee depending on a variety of factors.

So, if using a foreign card and only considering the local ATM use fees mentioned above, using an AmEx card gives the lowest fee ratio, followed by Visa and then Mastercard.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fee: recently withdraw a small amount (12000) for a mate with a VISA card, 150 Baht fee.

What date was this? What bank issued the VISA card - Thai or foreign? Was it credit card or debit card ? Which bank's ATM did you use ? smile.png

Three days ago, a card with VISA Plus logo (debit card) issued in Germany by Postbank (owned by Deutsche Bank).

ATM was an AEON. Same result as 6 months ago in May.

You can find clear statements on some Thai website bank sites about foreign card fees.

Some do a distinction between VISA and MC.

AEON obviously not.

AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) Public Company Limited (AEONTS) would like to inform that cash withdrawal transaction on electronic cards issued by foreign banks at AEON’s ATM will be imposed 150 THB of access fee per transaction and 20 THB per transaction for all electronic cards issued by card issuer companies in Thailand.

http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/en/fee-payment/aeon-atm-fee

Bangkok Bank does a distinction (and I am sure also Krungsri):

Cash withdrawal using an electronic card issued by a foreign bank or non-bank card issuer in Thailand and not an ATM Pool member
  • Cash withdrawal using a MasterCard issued by a foreign bank
180Bt per transaction
  • Cash withdrawal using an electronic card issued by a foreign bank

(Transaction fee will be waived for ATM withdrawals using cards within the MEPS/

ATM Pool network.)

150Bt per transaction

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BANGKOKBANK/WEBSERVICES/HELPCENTER/Pages/FeeTable.aspx

Adding to that: Mastercard offers significantly worse exchange rates than VISA.

• 8 months later...

What's the latest on this?

I want to make a 30K withdrawal from an ATM with my foreign visa debit card.

1. Is it still the case that Krungsri Bank (yellow one) still do 30K max with a 180 baht fee?

2. Is it still the case that TMB ATM's allow a 30K withdrawal as well and the new fee is 180 baht?

I've read the thread and it's 9 Months since it has been updated.

Thanks for any updates.

• 6 months later...

There are a bunch of threads on this topic but none (that I am aware of) that have been updated recently, so I thought I would do so. I am buying a new car next week so was looking for the easiest way to move a over a fair amount of THB in the easiest/most efficient manner. I also wanted to find the best method for future withdrawals.

Note that I do have Schwab and Fidelity ATM cards, which reimburse all fees, but like others here I prefer not to abuse the privilege by making an excessive number of withdrawals with ripoff fees.

Anyway, summary of recent ATM withdrawal limits for those banks in central BKK that I have used:

TMB: generally 30k, but some are lower. 200bt fee.

BKK Bank: mostly 25k in those I have tried. Some 20k. 200bt fee.

KBank (green): seem to mostly be 20k, but might vary. 200bt fee.

Krungsri: 30K in the two branches I have tried. 200bt fee.

*Citibank* (Central World BKK): 50K and the fee was 180bt vs 200bt at other banks. I did two consecutive here, for 100K.

Obviously, Citibank is the top choice with a fee of 180bt/50K = 0.36%. BKK Bank is 200bt/25k = 0.8%, for comparison.

Note I also attempted to do an in-bank withdrawal (Schwab card) at BKK Bank Siam Paragon, but that failed. The staff attempted the transaction twice but it was rejected, even after I made sure my POS and ATM limits were adequate. They could not provide a reason for the failure. Perhaps it may work at other branches, but I have not yet attempted it.

Finally, I also have the ability to do transfers via BKK Bank's NYC branch, but from previous experience I found this slower than expected and not that cheap after various fees are included (FX rate spread + .25% fee + NY branch fee).

So, going forward, I will most likely do 2x Citibank for my typical 100k monthly THB cash need. Overall, the net fee % is far lower than other alternatives, so it'll save a fair bit of money (for Schwab and Fidelity, in my case).

Again, just an update for those that are facing this common issue. Experience may vary with your own card (note: I temporarily raised my Schwab ATM/POS limit to a high number before proceeding -- some cards have very low limits)

I've been using my Schwab chipped debit card for cash advances/counter withdrawals/in bank transfers at a Krungsri branch here in western Bangkok with no problems so far...done it twice over the last two months...I pull up to the $1000 daily standard Schwab limit. No Bt200 fee when doing it this way like in an ATM. But as many posts have mentioned some Thai bank branches will accept a debit card for in bank withdrawals and some will not; instead they just say no-can-do and point you to their ATM...all depends on the branch's policy.

I've been using my Schwab chipped debit card for cash advances/counter withdrawals/in bank transfers at a Krungsri branch here in western Bangkok with no problems so far...done it twice over the last two months...I pull up to the $1000 daily standard Schwab limit. No Bt200 fee when doing it this way like in an ATM. But as many posts have mentioned some Thai bank branches will accept a debit card for in bank withdrawals and some will not; instead they just say no-can-do and point you to their ATM...all depends on the branch's policy.

In my case, it wasn't a policy issue, the transaction simply failed.

Do you know if your transactions are done as POS or ATM withdrawals? I ask because you mentioned the $1000 limit, which I believe is the standard Schwab ATM limit. My POS limit was set at $15K and ATM limit at $6k but the transaction was still declined (they tried twice -- bt 200k and 180k) at the BKK Bank branch I tried. Since no PIN is involved I would suspect it's POS.

I tried BKK Bank with my (chipped) Schwab card because I have an account there, but they didn't seem to care, so maybe I'll give the Krungsri at Centralworld a go next time. I have massive (to be reimbursed) fees at Schwab this month but don't want to abuse their generosity again. Otherwise will give my Fidelity card a try when I get it back from in-laws in the Phils.

In my case, it wasn't a policy issue, the transaction simply failed.

Do you know if your transactions are done as POS or ATM withdrawals? I ask because you mentioned the $1000 limit, which I believe is the standard Schwab ATM limit. My POS limit was set at $15K and ATM limit at $6k but the transaction was still declined (they tried twice -- bt 200k and 180k) at the BKK Bank branch I tried. Since no PIN is involved I would suspect it's POS.

I tried BKK Bank with my (chipped) Schwab card because I have an account there, but they didn't seem to care, so maybe I'll give the Krungsri at Centralworld a go next time. I have massive (to be reimbursed) fees at Schwab this month but don't want to abuse their generosity again. Otherwise will give my Fidelity card a try when I get it back from in-laws in the Phils.

Counter withdrawals/cash advances are processed like a POS transaction although the Schwab cash withdrawal limit applies versus the POS purchase limit.

Instead of processing/debiting/posting to your account same day, it takes at least one business day to fully process/post compared to an ATM transaction that would process/post same business day (note: European card holders the ATM transaction may not post to the next business day since the double messaging settlement method like used for purchase transactions is used by many European banks).

For example I did my last counter withdrawal on 12 Feb where it initially showed as a Pending Transaction and it posted/went final 13 Feb on my Schwab account....while it was in the Pending Status it was reflected the Visa 12 Feb exchange rate but once it posted the Visa 13 Feb exchange rate was used.

Archived