Bangkok Taxis

sambum

I found the following extract from an archived post regarding a "crackdown" on taxi drivers in Bangkok.
"All department stores have been asked for cooperation to install signboards publicising regulations that taxi drivers are forbidden to refuse passengers.
Call centre telephone number 1584 for receiving complaints will also be publicised, he said."

Last Friday (7 November), I needed to get from Soi 1, Sikhumvit to Don Muang Airport in order to catch an afternoon flight just after 4 pm. For approximately 15 minutes from just after midday. I tried unsucessfully to get a taxi to go there using the meter, and excuses ranged from the usual "meter no work" to "finish job now - go home". Eventually, I gave up on the idea of getting a "Meter Taxi" to use the meter, and had to settle for haggling a price with taxis that were even reluctant to go there anyway. I eventually settled for 400 baht with the driver paying the tolls, and took no pleasure in giving him the exact money and saying "No meter - no tip!"

As there is shortly to be an agreed increase in taxi fares, will there also be another "crackdown" on drivers that refuse fares, or turn on their meters? cheesy.gif

The Friday before 31/10 my wife who is Thai and I also had difficulties with getting a Taxi on 3 occasions. All told there were about 15 who refused to go where we wanted to go. All the fares would have been about 70 baht. We had 3 that wanted 200 baht for the trips. There were also a great number that had the vacant light on but did not pull up. We eventually got taxis on 2 occasions after a long wait.

Saturday was very different. No problems getting Taxis.

• Like 1

The Friday before 31/10 my wife who is Thai and I also had difficulties with getting a Taxi on 3 occasions. All told there were about 15 who refused to go where we wanted to go. All the fares would have been about 70 baht. We had 3 that wanted 200 baht for the trips. There were also a great number that had the vacant light on but did not pull up. We eventually got taxis on 2 occasions after a long wait.

Saturday was very different. No problems getting Taxis.

Wonder why Saturday was different?

Never had much problem with taxi drivers.

They quote a price,I counter offer.

If the price is agreeable to both parties,off we go.

These people are entitled to make a living,

If you can't afford the price,walk,or take the bus.

These people are required to abide by the law.

• Like 1

What exactly does "the law" state?

If a guy due to finish his shift and hand back his taxi, he isn't going to head in the opposite direction to his changeover location. I'm not sure why some folk expect otherwise. sad.png

Edited by rajyindee

Not that I can't afford the price, and yes, they are entitled to make a living, but why have "Meter Taxi" on the top and refuse to use it?

That's fumnny,saying abide by the law.He must have forgot where he's at.I say get off of some of your money,or go back to your

Home country.I mean we are talking small money.

Small money is not the point! "Meter Taxi" should mean exactly that! And if they use the meter, I always give a tip (e.g. Airport run - 100 baht tip. No meter - no tip!)

• Like 1

If a guy due to finish his shift and hand back his taxi, he isn't going to head in the opposite direction to his changeover location. I'm not sure why some folk expect otherwise. sad.png

I agree with your reasoning, but most of the time I think it's an excuse.

It would be nice if they all did it the way they're supposed to, but there's always going to be some who don't.

I don't find it a big problem, though. Never seems to take long to find a driver who'll put the meter on. At worst, walk a block or two to a different location. It helps to use a bit of sense and try flagging them down where they're already going in the right direction.

• Like 1

It would be nice if they all did it the way they're supposed to, but there's always going to be some who don't.

I don't find it a big problem, though. Never seems to take long to find a driver who'll put the meter on. At worst, walk a block or two to a different location. It helps to use a bit of sense and try flagging them down where they're already going in the right direction.

Agree in part with your first sentence, but once again, it seems that "TIT", and the BIB are not prepared to enforce the law apart from one report that I saw where a cop had given a taxi driver an on the spot fine for refusing a fare! clap2.gif Obviously flagging them down when they're already going in the required direction is a good idea, but walking "a block or two" when you're carrying a heavy suitcase is not a sensible option for a "Golden Oldie" like myself! smile.png

Taxi fares should be doubled immediately. The lo-speed fare should be tripled.

Taxis in BKK are stupid cheap. There are notorious hour-long tie ups in certain areas.

You want a private car? Pay for a private car. And don't forget to tip, tightwad.

enuff said

~

Hello! Please let your voices be heard at www.facebook.com/taxisandexpats

We have recently launched a community group, titled 'Bangkok Taxis for Expats'. The goal of this group is to collect information with regards to Bangkok taxis, and how expats feel about them. There are plenty of channels for Thai users to make contact with authorities, or to voice themselves with regards to taxis in Bangkok. We want to provide an equivalent of that. We hope to periodically launch infographics representing how expats feel about taxis in Bangkok. The information here will be useful. You guys are welcomed to voice your complaints about Thai taxis there too. Please kindly take a few minutes to complete our survey if you are an expat at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bangkoktaxisurvey2014

Thank you so much! We look forward to hear from you guys

Just what is needed, an opportunity for the Thai-bashers to spread their negativity further. There are already channels available for foreigners to make complaints about taxis if they consider it necessary.

The survey asks a lot of personal questions that are of no relevance whatsoever to the subject of the survey, what is that all about? Are you going to be using that information for some other marketing/selling purpose, for example, what does an individual's age and occupation have to do with taxi's service?

Interesting that you seem to think that other than male or female there is another gender.

You ask, "Q6. Are you aware of the reputation of taxi services...". What does that mean, that Bangkok has a perfectly good, efficient and cheap taxi service that 95% of the time takes passengers where they want go without issue? That's the reputation Bangkok taxis have with me and many others after using them, in my case, for 20 years.

Part 3, Q18-22 seems to assume that there is just one taxi in Bangkok that you are requesting an opinion of, eg "passenger satisfaction to the condition of the vehicle". Most of us have been in hundreds of taxis over the years, which one do you expect a report about?

How about adding a further choice to Q25 along the lines of, "Dropped off exactly where requested after being charged the correct fare for going the best route and with the driver making no inappropriate remarks."? This is what happens with the vast majority of taxi journeys.

In Q29/30 regarding making complaints you omitted the option "Never really had the need to make a complaint". Any reason why?

• Like 1

Taxi fares should be doubled immediately. The lo-speed fare should be tripled.

Taxis in BKK are stupid cheap. There are notorious hour-long tie ups in certain areas.

You want a private car? Pay for a private car. And don't forget to tip, tightwad.

enuff said

~

See # 11

Increase the fares and give the driver an even break and all the above problems will fade away.

enuff said

~

Fares are scheduled to be increased shortly - do you really think that " all the above problems will fade away."?

If so, you are more of an optimist than I am!

I agree with your reasoning, but most of the time I think it's an excuse.

Around 4 pm, as per the OP, it probably isn't.

Edited by rajyindee

Trying to get a taxi on soi 4 Nana is a scandal. Taxis are parked on the pavements or touting for meterless business.

If you hang out somewhere like that, you can hardly expect much better.

What does somewhere like that' have to do with this topic? Many tourists visit BKK and feel the need to at least view the naughty bits as part of their Thai experience. My son has a restaurant close by and my wife and I visit regularly without the above need. ALL people should be treated as genuine customers without a Court of Morals sitting in judgement presided over by the Honourable SoiBiker.

Trying to get a taxi on soi 4 Nana is a scandal. Taxis are parked on the pavements or touting for meterless business.

If you hang out somewhere like that, you can hardly expect much better.

What does somewhere like that' have to do with this topic? Many tourists visit BKK and feel the need to at least view the naughty bits as part of their Thai experience. My son has a restaurant close by and my wife and I visit regularly without the above need. ALL people should be treated as genuine customers without a Court of Morals sitting in judgement presided over by the Honourable SoiBiker.

Just pointing out that if you hang out in certain parts of town, the locals are less likely to look upon you with respect.

Get your panties in a bunch about it if you like. But it's still a fact.

We have recently launched a community group, titled 'Bangkok Taxis for Expats'. The goal of this group is to collect information with regards to Bangkok taxis, and how expats feel about them. There are plenty of channels for Thai users to make contact with authorities, or to voice themselves with regards to taxis in Bangkok. We want to provide an equivalent of that. We hope to periodically launch infographics representing how expats feel about taxis in Bangkok. The information here will be useful. You guys are welcomed to voice your complaints about Thai taxis there too. Please kindly take a few minutes to complete our survey if you are an expat at:

Usually when we are in Bangkok we stay near a BTS station and use the train. This trip we decided to stay at a hotel that was not near the BTS due to shopping we were planning. We live near Phayao and only spend a day or two in Bangkok about every 6 months.

Usually when we are in Bangkok we stay near a BTS station and use the train. This trip we decided to stay at a hotel that was not near the BTS due to shopping we were planning. We live near Phayao and only spend a day or two in Bangkok about every 6 months.

So? That's good to know, but not a lot to do with taxis!

Please read post # 2 which you liked

Edited by ripstanley

Please read post # 2 which you liked

Sorry, but I didn't know you were referring to an earlier post - apologies!wai.gif