Bangkok Taxis

sambum

Trying to get a taxi on soi 4 Nana is a scandal. Taxis are parked on the pavements or touting for meterless business.

If you hang out somewhere like that, you can hardly expect much better.

Whenever I read moralizing scolds like Mr. Biker I am reminded of those preachers and (Republican) senators who ended up getting caught checking into motels with Rentaboys or making eyes at guys from inside toilet stalls.

In fact, as I read his comment, I had this vision of a rather skinny pasty-complexioned Biker typying with one hand while furtively unfastening his zipper with the other to expose himself to a terrified Hom Krun cashier, giggling uncontrollably all the while.

But to get back to Mike, as a frequent visitor to areas of ill-repute, e.g., Nana and Patpong, I find that generally all it takes to get a metered ride is to walk a few minutes, getting away from the "taxi mafia" to where there is freer flow of traffic. The only problem, of course, is that the busier the hour, the bigger the mafia lot and the longer the walk. But it's usually worth the difference in fare, which can be a couple of hundred baht.

No moralising here. Just pointing out the obvious, which I guess might be uncomfortable for some - if you involve yourself in certain activities here, you might find the locals look upon you less fondly, taxi drivers included.

If by "certain activities" you allude to the pursuit of, er, tail, then, with all due respect I must say you are wrong. Thai men of all stripes and social strata compete in the collection of mistresses, giks, dek sidelines, and such. They are discreet in these activities - of course, they would no more walk down a soi with their arms around a tart than you and I would swig whisky from a bottle while strolling down a street back home - but certainly not hypocritical and, most often, refreshingly honest when comfortable enough with a farang to open up.

You will win respect here not by being puritanical or smart or rich but by just being plain decent and humble.

No moralising here. Just pointing out the obvious, which I guess might be uncomfortable for some - if you involve yourself in certain activities here, you might find the locals look upon you less fondly, taxi drivers included.

If by "certain activities" you allude to the pursuit of, er, tail, then, with all due respect I must say you are wrong. Thai men of all stripes and social strata compete in the collection of mistresses, giks, dek sidelines, and such. They are discreet in these activities - of course, they would no more walk down a soi with their arms around a tart than you and I would swig whisky from a bottle while strolling down a street back home - but certainly not hypocritical and, most often, refreshingly honest when comfortable enough with a farang to open up.

You will win respect here not by being puritanical or smart or rich but by just being plain decent and humble.

As you point out, the locals are more discrete in such matters. They also haven't flown halfway around the globe purely to get their end away. Two fairly major differences there.

If the taxi drivers didn't see sex tourists as foolish losers with wallets ripe for baht extraction, they wouldn't be hanging around such areas in droves, would they?

As you point out, the locals are more discrete in such matters. They also haven't flown halfway around the globe purely to get their end away. Two fairly major differences there.

If the taxi drivers didn't see sex tourists as foolish losers with wallets ripe for baht extraction, they wouldn't be hanging around such areas in droves, would they?

"They also haven't flown halfway around the globe purely to get their end away."

Well, honestly, Mr. Biker, they've probably flown all this way to get away from your sort. To a place where they're not under 24/7 threat of being mauled by the born again.

"If the taxi drivers didn't see sex tourists as foolish losers with wallets ripe for baht extraction,..."

Well, again Biker my friend, one might quibble over if someone with the resources to fly halfway around the globe to indulge plentifully his taste in beautiful women is a loser or, in fact, a winner.

"They also haven't flown halfway around the globe purely to get their end away."

Well, honestly, Mr. Biker, they've probably flown all this way to get away from your sort. To a place where they're not under 24/7 threat of being mauled by the born again.

Well, then they were kidding themselves. This isn't some sort of sex playground for farangs. Plenty of normal folk move here too.

You don't have to be 'born again' to think the sex trade here is a pretty pathetic, tawdry business.

Luckily, you generally only have to walk a short distance away from those areas to avoid it - just like you do to find a decent taxi driver.

(See how I got us back on topic there?)

Well, then they were kidding themselves. This isn't some sort of sex playground for farangs. Plenty of normal folk move here too.

You don't have to be 'born again' to think the sex trade here is a pretty pathetic, tawdry business.

Luckily, you generally only have to walk a short distance away from those areas to avoid it - just like you do to find a decent taxi driver.

(See how I got us back on topic there?)

You are indeed a clever man, Mr. Biker. I am beginning to warm to you, which is troubling.

Yet I cannot let you go without observing that a "sex playground" can easily co-exist peacefully with the beat of "normal folk". Kind of like the way the cab that takes you to work in the morning might whisk you to a short-time hotel later the day (see, I am trying to stay on topic too).

As for "sex trade here is a pretty pathetic, tawdry business", well, I would be leery of being so definitive and judgmental. The most I am willing to allow is that it's a sprawling and complicated business, one with many shades.

Yet I cannot let you go without observing that a "sex playground" can easily co-exist peacefully with the beat of "normal folk".

It can indeed. But the punters would be rather deluded if they thought the 'normal folk' didn't sometimes judge them by their behaviour.

Yet I cannot let you go without observing that a "sex playground" can easily co-exist peacefully with the beat of "normal folk".

It can indeed. But the punters would be rather deluded if they thought the 'normal folk' didn't sometimes judge them by their behaviour.

Dang, I thought it was over.

See, both you and I have "normal folk" in parantheses above. Why is that? Because it's a subjective term.

Speficially, it's only a short cab ride from "normal folk" to "punter", a ride that millions of men make everyday after pecking thi raak on the cheek, promising to be back as soon as the important meeting with the visiting Chinese CEO is over. And it's another cab ride back to "normal folk" from "punter".

And do live your life as you please, so long as it's legal, giving a rat's ass what others - normal, abnormal, moralizing, decrepit, whatever - think.

Regarding taxis this is nonsense.

As I pointed out earlier...refusing to take a metered fare is rife outside the Centara hotel and the majority of customers are Thais.

• 3 months later...

"All department stores have been asked for cooperation to install signboards publicising regulations that taxi drivers are forbidden to refuse passengers.
Call centre telephone number 1584 for receiving complaints will also be publicised, he said."

cheesy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Foreign Tourists Allegedly Dumped on Tollway by Thai Taxi

By Khaosod Eng.

BANGKOK — The Expressway Authority of Thailand (EXAT) says it is investigating a claim that a taxi driver stranded a family of foreign tourists on a highway in Bangkok.

The allegation surfaced after a Facebook user named Surachai Hiranpraditthakul posted a photo that purported to show a foreign couple and toddler being forced to get out of a cab on the expressway because their taxi driver took a wrong turn.

According to Surachai, the family hailed the cab from Suvarnabhumi Airport and asked to go to Rama IX Road, but the driver missed the exit on the expressway and did not want to look for another U-Turn, so he simply forced the passengers to get out.

"Aren't Thai taxis bastards?" Surachai wrote, "A driver kicked foreigners out on the tollway. Friends, don't only read this post. You can freely curse the [driver]."

Read More: http://www.khaosoden...wsid=1426856475

Never had much problem with taxi drivers.

They quote a price,I counter offer.

If the price is agreeable to both parties,off we go.

These people are entitled to make a living,

If you can't afford the price,walk,or take the bus.

If they actually did there job..... You know..... Taking people where they want to go...... They would be making a very decent living.

And your attitude is repulsive. I can afford plenty, but it does not mean I going to GIVE my money away. The taxi fee starts at 35 baht and increases with distance. If they don't like it, they can go work at 7-11 or Big-C. Really quite simple......

Listening to you guys stick up for these slimy people is getting old. Just check the story above. Not all taxi drivers are bad.... But sure seems like a hell of lot are. Far too many in opinion.

Edited by inbangkok