Belgian motorcyclist dies after crashing roadside power pole in Hua Hin

webfact

Belgian motorcyclist dies after crashing roadside power pole

HUA HIN: -- A 45-year-old Belgian man died after his motorcycle skidded off the road curve and rammed into a power pole in Hua Hin early yesterday.

The accident not happened on So- Hua Hin 94 in Hua Hin town at 00.30am.

The victim was identified as Xavier Marco. He suffered severe head injuries and lied dead near a badly-damaged 400cc Kawasaki motorcycle at a power pole.

His Thai girlfriend told Hua Hin later that the Belgian victim told her he would go for a swim before the fatal crash.

He was not wearing a helmet and ride out in the motorcycle which carried no licence plate.

Hua Hin police said he might ride at high speed and skid while approaching a sharp curve before ramming into the power pole.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/belgian-motorcyclist-dies-crashing-roadside-power-pole/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-10

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always shocked when I see foreigners riding around without helmets. It is a matter of education. They should know better. He made his choice, it was a bad one and now its game over.

Only good thing to come from this is if another "immortal" foreigner buys and wears a decent helmet.

If the head line is to be taken literally then I wanna know how he got the power pole started and what kind of modifications did he have to make to get it road worthy.

No helmet - no chance. Happens everyday here. blink.png

Y'know, rather than these constant criticisms of Thai news reports occasional grammatical and spelling errors, I am always impressed they have learned English at all and are willing to translate these news articles for my benefit.

Can you tell me, is your Thai so good that you could write any of these articles fluently for a Thai to read?

Seriously, isn't your post even a violation of the forum rules on grammar police?

Absolutely! We have to stop being so critical:

"Hua Hin police said he might ride at high speed and skid while approaching a sharp curve before ramming into the power pole."

I think his high speed, pole-ramming days are done.

I am always shocked when I see foreigners riding around without helmets. It is a matter of education. They should know better. He made his choice, it was a bad one and now its game over.

Only good thing to come from this is if another "immortal" foreigner buys and wears a decent helmet.

Many people think its ok to drive like an idiot here in either a car or on a bike. They just imitate the locals think its ok to drink and drive. You should follow those topics, the moment you make a comment about drinking and driving you get a lot of angry people here because they think its ok here.

• Like 1

Yet another tragic waste of life (I'm getting bored posting on these threads where some foreigner has been killed on an MC without wearing a helmet) Yet another young person lost to his family and friends.

Every day (especially during high season) we see the adrenalin junkies dicing with death on the roads, every day examples of the "well the locals do it!" mentality, where it is OK to not wear a helmet.

Perhaps one day soon, when the present government can elevate road safety as a priority, we will see the imposition of some realistic fines and penalties. 500 THB has no affect on the well heeled fa-rang tourist, make it 5000 and you might see some real change in behavior.

No matter what the circumstances a life has been lost, commiserations and condolences to his family and friends...

• Like 2

I ride a 900cc without helmet if it's a short trip. Mostly out of laziness but also that I'm a Nancy that doesn't like helmet hair at work.

If I'm going for an actual ride where I know there is going to be some spirited riding and roads that I'm not familiar with, I always wear helmet and jacket.

Yes I'm aware of the risk. You can spend all day going on about the risks and the stupidity in your opinion but it really comes down to, "you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Spare your lectures about blah blah blah and mind your own business. lol u mad bro?

• Like 1

OK, I'll bite, where do you buy a 'decent' helmet?

I ride a 900cc without helmet if it's a short trip. Mostly out of laziness but also that I'm a Nancy that doesn't like helmet hair at work.

If I'm going for an actual ride where I know there is going to be some spirited riding and roads that I'm not familiar with, I always wear helmet and jacket.

Yes I'm aware of the risk. You can spend all day going on about the risks and the stupidity in your opinion but it really comes down to, "you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Spare your lectures about blah blah blah and mind your own business. lol u mad bro?

at a ''decent helmet'' shop

RIP very sad. All too easy to forget basic safety when in an environment unshackled from enforced restrictions.

Remember at 16 in the UK jumping on a 250 BSA, never ridden a bike before. No helmet and whizzing around on busy roads high speed. Crazy when I look back.

• Like 1

R.I.P Xavier Marco severe head injuries next top tip always wear a good quality helmet hopefully this might be a warning to others that power poles are harder than flesh and bone same as the concrete kerbs on the pavements pretty tough to bounce your head off.

I forgot you can't crash and die on short trips and your right about having lovely hair at work instead of protecting your pretty little head ;-)

Fortuneately my commute doesn't see much faster than 5km/h because of traffic. I'll take my chances lol.

Thank you for your very helpful post.

Fink you should stick to riding buffaloes as you have no idea about head trauma at low speeds at all.....rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Depends.. but the real brand sells even online and is decent, if you want more there are shops like pandarider, the paddock and others in Bangkok. I got a real brand helmet for short rides and rides on the scooter and an shoei for longer rides.

Yet another tragic waste of life (I'm getting bored posting on these threads where some foreigner has been killed on an MC without wearing a helmet) Yet another young person lost to his family and friends.

Every day (especially during high season) we see the adrenalin junkies dicing with death on the roads, every day examples of the "well the locals do it!" mentality, where it is OK to not wear a helmet.

Perhaps one day soon, when the present government can elevate road safety as a priority, we will see the imposition of some realistic fines and penalties. 500 THB has no affect on the well heeled fa-rang tourist, make it 5000 and you might see some real change in behavior.

No matter what the circumstances a life has been lost, commiserations and condolences to his family and friends...

I really don't agree.. they only endanger themselves. Their choice no need for a higher fine. No separate fine for foreigners its crazy. I always wear a helmet.. and on longer trips i suit up.

Maybe it is acceptable to die of head trauma after having made the "decision" not to bother with a helmet. Maybe it is only the biker who hurts himself and the poor pole? But do we ignore the family and friends who are left behind? Are they not hurt?

In Thailand you have a good chance of dying at the scene, or at least in the ambulance. In my country you have a good chance of being kept alive on a ventilator or living a life in an electric wheelchair. Who pays the price for your "freedom" then?

Thank you for your very helpful post.

you're welcome, i enjoy helping others and in my own small way i try to make the world a better place to live in ( I can't believe i wrote that )

Good lad. Let us know where you are and we'll help. Spending B4,000 and up will see you right. Remember that this is a 3 year or until 1st drop investment though.

Here's a good place to start if you are in BKK.

http://www.bkkspeed.com/

HJC and Shark helmets starting at B4,200.

Edited by draftvader