Belgian motorcyclist dies after crashing roadside power pole in Hua Hin

webfact

I ride a 900cc without helmet if it's a short trip. Mostly out of laziness but also that I'm a Nancy that doesn't like helmet hair at work.

If I'm going for an actual ride where I know there is going to be some spirited riding and roads that I'm not familiar with, I always wear helmet and jacket.

Yes I'm aware of the risk. You can spend all day going on about the risks and the stupidity in your opinion but it really comes down to, "you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Spare your lectures about blah blah blah and mind your own business. lol u mad bro?

Maybe it is acceptable to die of head trauma after having made the "decision" not to bother with a helmet. Maybe it is only the biker who hurts himself and the poor pole? But do we ignore the family and friends who are left behind? Are they not hurt?

In Thailand you have a good chance of dying at the scene, or at least in the ambulance. In my country you have a good chance of being kept alive on a ventilator or living a life in an electric wheelchair. Who pays the price for your "freedom" then?

As if that really bothers you.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like another poster, I do occasionally still ride without a bucket for local trips or night rides when I know traffic is light. We used to ride without helmets for decades...just the way it was. I am confident in my bike handling skills, I am not confident in drivers of cars. For me that is where the risk is and that is why I have a top quality Arai and gear.

But that doesn't mean the posters here who suggest its a darned stupid practice are not 100% correct. It is a stupid practice for all the reasons indicated.

If I saw my grandson riding without a helmet I would be taking his keys away.

I don't know this young man who died but I see the majority of young men in Thailand riding at speeds that all you can do is shake your head. When I read threads like this I wonder what fraction of a second it was from the moment he comprehended his error to the point of impact. Atleast he didn't suffer long.

I am always shocked when I see foreigners riding around without helmets. It is a matter of education. They should know better. He made his choice, it was a bad one and now its game over.

Only good thing to come from this is if another "immortal" foreigner buys and wears a decent helmet.

OK, I'll bite, where do you buy a 'decent' helmet?

Good lad. Let us know where you are and we'll help. Spending B4,000 and up will see you right. Remember that this is a 3 year or until 1st drop investment though.

I think i read somewhere that Schumacher's racing helmet cost 50,000 Euro's

I am always shocked when I see foreigners riding around without helmets. It is a matter of education. They should know better. He made his choice, it was a bad one and now its game over.

Only good thing to come from this is if another "immortal" foreigner buys and wears a decent helmet.

Good lad. Let us know where you are and we'll help. Spending B4,000 and up will see you right. Remember that this is a 3 year or until 1st drop investment though.

I think i read somewhere that Schumacher's racing helmet cost 50,000 Euro's

Not the one he was wearing when he was skiing then?

• Like 1

No licence plate so presumably not a short stay tourist. Should know better, not wearing a helmet especially at night.

I ride a 900cc without helmet if it's a short trip. Mostly out of laziness but also that I'm a Nancy that doesn't like helmet hair at work.

If I'm going for an actual ride where I know there is going to be some spirited riding and roads that I'm not familiar with, I always wear helmet and jacket.

Yes I'm aware of the risk. You can spend all day going on about the risks and the stupidity in your opinion but it really comes down to, "you can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Spare your lectures about blah blah blah and mind your own business. lol u mad

1 in 3 of road accident happen within 1 mile of home

Spare your lectures about blah blah blah and mind your own business. lol u mad bro?

Maybe it is acceptable to die of head trauma after having made the "decision" not to bother with a helmet. Maybe it is only the biker who hurts himself and the poor pole? But do we ignore the family and friends who are left behind? Are they not hurt?

In Thailand you have a good chance of dying at the scene, or at least in the ambulance. In my country you have a good chance of being kept alive on a ventilator or living a life in an electric wheelchair. Who pays the price for your "freedom" then?

since you mention it.. as a taxpayer, yes it does. It is not an decision which "only" affects the (selfish)biker

since you mention it.. as a taxpayer, yes it does. It is not an decision which "only" affects the (selfish)biker

Farang bikers are either self insured or have insurance.. the taxpayer in general does not pay for them. Vent your anger on Thais. Personally I always wear a helmet but your argument does not really hold for the majority of foreign bikers.

If the head line is to be taken literally then I wanna know how he got the power pole started and what kind of modifications did he have to make to get it road worthy.

No helmet - no chance. Happens everyday here. blink.png

Y'know, rather than these constant criticisms of Thai news reports occasional grammatical and spelling errors, I am always impressed they have learned English at all and are willing to translate these news articles for my benefit.

Can you tell me, is your Thai so good that you could write any of these articles fluently for a Thai to read?

Seriously, isn't your post even a violation of the forum rules on grammar police?

C'mon, you're a wind up merchant aren't you? Nobody could genuinely be as sanctimonious as you appear to be.

It's sad in it he got killed but if I get chance like I don't wear a helmet as dun a like em, and if you wear em you go a bit faster as don't feel as fast like, an a 400s not a big bike anyway so RIP but like his life his choices wot he does.

Here's a good place to start if you are in BKK.

http://www.bkkspeed.com/

HJC and Shark helmets starting at B4,200.

Thanks for the link. I live in Hua Hin.

Thanks for the link. I live in Hua Hin.

There appears to be a Shark reseller in Petchaburi. Sadly I can't read Thai so the address means nothing to me.

http://www.sharkhelmetsthailand.com/

Good god! I can recall when those things were only 1000 baht a few years back!

If the head line is to be taken literally then I wanna know how he got the power pole started and what kind of modifications did he have to make to get it road worthy.

Y'know, rather than these constant criticisms of Thai news reports occasional grammatical and spelling errors, I am always impressed they have learned English at all and are willing to translate these news articles for my benefit.

Can you tell me, is your Thai so good that you could write any of these articles fluently for a Thai to read?

Seriously, isn't your post even a violation of the forum rules on grammar police?

C'mon, you're a wind up merchant aren't you? Nobody could genuinely be as sanctimonious as you appear to be.

The post speaks for itself.

If someone wants to complain about the poor English writing skills of a Thai writer, then he ought to first show he could write the piece better in Thai.

My Thai is terrible. Its worse than terrible. I admire any Thai that has practiced and learned English.

You will have to explain your logic as to how that makes me sanctimonious in your unique brain.

;-)

• Like 2

I forgot you can't crash and die on short trips and your right about having lovely hair at work instead of protecting your pretty little head ;-)

Fortuneately my commute doesn't see much faster than 5km/h because of traffic. I'll take my chances lol.

Why do you bother riding? That is the same as walking speed. Is that 5km/h on a spirited ride or do you hit 7km/h then? Do you have overheating problems? Hope you don't go touring!

Love your avatar...mostly because it shows that in asian society the motorbike is a most useful tool. In fact, here the motorbikes primary function is to assist people working and commuting to and from work economically. It is not a vehicle used primarily for pleasure like it is in faranglandia.

So the guy commutes very slowly to work. I commend him. Far better he ride that way than like the local idiots who weave through stalled traffic in an unsafe fashion. After all, this is a thread about a guy who failed to act responsibly so it hardly seems fitting to post ridicule to a fellow forum member who rides cautiously, eh?

No disrespect intended. That is the best photo I have seen yet. Up til now it was one I took of a guy with four vehicle tires stacked on the back of his 125cc motorbike seat.

Edited by ClutchClark

Totally agree with ClutchClark. A "dislike" button would come in handy to mark posts like that.

Totally agree with ClutchClark. A "dislike" button would come in handy to mark posts like that.

Agreed, many native English speakers expect the world to speak English but often don't even speak an other language fluid (yes there are exceptions).

I have seen them raving in English increasing the volume of sound when people don't understand them thinking shouting will help biggrin.png

Thank god there are quite a few that do see the light like ClutchClark and others demonstrate.

• Like 1

No lecture. Just statistics that have proven that the majority of fatal accidents occur within 25 kilometres on the victim's residence. Doctors and nurses really love picking out pieces of road from the areas of the body that impacted with the carriageway, in particular, the head. You can tell me to mind my own business but I would hate to see you become one of those statistics.

A good helmet has saved me more than once.

Time to get a car then.

Why he is still alive, cars safe by crumple zone helmets CAN save you on bikes.

I seriously don't understand people using cars (in BKK) I own a car and 2 bikes I prefer the bikes. Faster (as in traffic is not an issue you zip to the front of the line at traffic lights zip past congestion ect. Seriously many travels would take 2 hours in a car and take me 45min on a bike. The only reason for me to use my car is when I got to go shopping for large stuff or when transporting others.

Parking is also so much easier on bikes, I might have used a car more if I lived somewhere with bad weather and not to many traffic problems.

In my 8 years riding motorbikes here I have had one stupid accident when i just started and that was it. Never been injured once. It depends for a large part how you ride though of course you cant always account for all the other idiots. I fully accept that bikes are more dangerous as cars but feel the other advantages outweigh it.

I have been injured in Thailand only once and that was in a car crash (I was not driving the wife was). (that does not mean cars are less safe as bikes) but means there are risks everywhere.

If you want less risks stay in your home country.. things are safer there on the roads for sure and safer for other things too. We all take our chances here because we like it. I rather have fun in life and die younger then die bored and old.

That said.. on the bigger bike i wear kevlar jeans, motor boots, jacket, helmet and sometimes gloves.. should use those more actually.

• Like 2

Time to get a car then.

I seriously don't understand people using cars (in BKK) I own a car and 2 bikes I prefer the bikes. Faster (as in traffic is not an issue you zip to the front of the line at traffic lights zip past congestion ect. Seriously many travels would take 2 hours in a car and take me 45min on a bike. The only reason for me to use my car is when I got to go shopping for large stuff or when transporting others.

Parking is also so much easier on bikes, I might have used a car more if I lived somewhere with bad weather and not to many traffic problems.

In my 8 years riding motorbikes here I have had one stupid accident when i just started and that was it. Never been injured once. It depends for a large part how you ride though of course you cant always account for all the other idiots. I fully accept that bikes are more dangerous as cars but feel the other advantages outweigh it.

I have been injured in Thailand only once and that was in a car crash (I was not driving the wife was). (that does not mean cars are less safe as bikes) but means there are risks everywhere.

If you want less risks stay in your home country.. things are safer there on the roads for sure and safer for other things too. We all take our chances here because we like it. I rather have fun in life and die younger then die bored and old.

That said.. on the bigger bike i wear kevlar jeans, motor boots, jacket, helmet and sometimes gloves.. should use those more actually.

The most important thing in my car is the air-con

That guy is a hero. We watch Discovery Channel everyday, to learn about how animals have so and so natural defensive mechanisms. We humans are becoming weaker and weaker each decade, depending on the inventions we make, instead of becoming stronger naturally by our dna.

laugh.png

Time to get a car then.

The most important thing in my car is the air-con
Good point not needed when moving on the bike but in heavy traffic or at traffic lights it gets hot.