Belgian motorcyclist dies after crashing roadside power pole in Hua Hin

webfact

That guy is a hero. We watch Discovery Channel everyday, to learn about how animals have so and so natural defensive mechanisms. We humans are becoming weaker and weaker each decade, depending on the inventions we make, instead of becoming stronger naturally by our dna.

laugh.png

Yes, weaker ... especially between the ears.

I believe there is too much attention to helmets on this thread and no attention this:

Ek = MV2

The injuries are a result of the reactive force of whatever the body hits. I say body and not just the head. This is why cars have crumple zones and airbags - to spread the reactive force over time among other things. I say look at the risks Thais take on motorcycles and cars and then don't do it yourself unless you have absolutely no choice. Short of an autopsy, we cannot say what killed the Belgian, RIP. Do we know that his head even contacted the pole? We can be pretty sure it was the V2 component in the above, yes? It kills many on motorcyclists in Thailand, according to statistics.

I made my choice over five years ago: I will never own or operate a motor vehicle in Thailand and I will avoid being a passenger in one as well. I get around very efficiently and relatively safely within Bangkok by bicycle. If I have to travel inter-city, it will be by NCA bus, if possible. Even a boring life is better than no life at all IMHO.

Edited by MaxYakov

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my avatar picture too. Was taken in cambodia. I believe most people in farangland ride motorbikes as not only is it a fun form of transport, it is convenient, cheaper than driving a car on fuel, repairs, registration, and usually to buy, easier to park, etc, but I am sure the primary use isn't for pleasure. In Asia, it is usually the only form of motorised transport that is affordable for the average person.

I don't believe last that he really rides at 5km/h on a 900cc motorcycle. I lived and rode in Bkk and 5km/h may be around 2% of the time max in peak period traffic.

I don't agree with your comment that you commend lust for riding slow as it is just as dangerous to ride slow when the traffic is moving faster

Lol, didn't mean to post yet. Also his main theme was if you ride slow then it isn't necessary to wear a helmet. If you are collected from behind when you are travelling at 5 km/h by a car doing 60 km/h is potentially more dangerous than dropping your bike at 60km/h especially if you don't have a helmet on. I better try and stick to to topic and start a new one for why you rode a bike in farangland and why you ride one here. RIP to the Belgian guy.

That guy is a hero. We watch Discovery Channel everyday, to learn about how animals have so and so natural defensive mechanisms. We humans are becoming weaker and weaker each decade, depending on the inventions we make, instead of becoming stronger naturally by our dna.

laugh.png

I believe there is too much attention to helmets on this thread and no attention this:

Ek = MV2

The injuries are a result of the reactive force of whatever the body hits. I say body and not just the head. This is why cars have crumple zones and airbags - to spread the reactive force over time among other things. I say look at the risks Thais take on motorcycles and cars and then don't do it yourself unless you have absolutely no choice. Short of an autopsy, we cannot say what killed the Belgian, RIP. Do we know that his head even contacted the pole? We can be pretty sure it was the V2 component in the above, yes? It kills many on motorcyclists in Thailand, according to statistics.

I made my choice over five years ago: I will never own or operate a motor vehicle in Thailand and I will avoid being a passenger in one as well. I get around very efficiently and relatively safely within Bangkok by bicycle. If I have to travel inter-city, it will be by NCA bus, if possible. Even a boring life is better than no life at all IMHO.

I do agree with your post up to the point you propose bicycle travel. You guys are crazy ;-)

Force of the vehicle that hits me is what I am concerned about and therefore I am depending on my own foot power or public transpo ! Even with walking, I have had some very close calls on the sidewalks of Lower Sukh with motorbikes blasting by!

I like my avatar picture too. Was taken in cambodia. I believe most people in farangland ride motorbikes as not only is it a fun form of transport, it is convenient, cheaper than driving a car on fuel, repairs, registration, and usually to buy, easier to park, etc, but I am sure the primary use isn't for pleasure. In Asia, it is usually the only form of motorised transport that is affordable for the average person.

I don't believe last that he really rides at 5km/h on a 900cc motorcycle. I lived and rode in Bkk and 5km/h may be around 2% of the time max in peak period traffic.

I don't agree with your comment that you commend lust for riding slow as it is just as dangerous to ride slow when the traffic is moving faster

Never meant to suggest riding slower than traffic.

Motion is a lifesaver on a bike. Siting still is a death sentence.

In the US, the majority of riding is pleasure by a fairly wide margin.

Cheers

laugh.png

Ek = MV2

I do agree with your post up to the point you propose bicycle travel. You guys are crazy ;-)

Force of the vehicle that hits me is what I am concerned about and therefore I am depending on my own foot power or public transpo ! Even with walking, I have had some very close calls on the sidewalks of Lower Sukh with motorbikes blasting by!

Actually, because of pollution, many Chinese urban areas have banned internal combustion motorbikes. What did they resort to in large numbers? A mix of electric and human-powered bikes. And some of the electric bicycles (E-bikes) might be considered to be electric motorbikes because they can have very impressive acceleration and top speed capability. This shift to electrics probably won't happen any time soon in Thailand.

On the streets and sidewalks of Bangkok I operate similarly to a motorbike except with a bicycle I have more maneuverability and much more flexibility (even use of MRT/BTS/Buses - try that with a motorbike or try lifting a motorbike from the street to the sidewalk).

Also, I don't reach the ridiculous speeds that can kill or severely injure motorbike operators. I avoid using sidewalks because doing so increases my travel time (but reduces my risk of collision), but when I do use them, I travel slowly and always yield to and avoid pedestrians. I think many of the motorbike operators using sidewalks are try to maintain street speeds when they can.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ek = MV2

Actually, because of pollution, many Chinese urban areas have banned internal combustion motorbikes. What did they resort to in large numbers? A mix of electric and human-powered bikes. And some of the electric bicycles (E-bikes) might be considered to be electric motorbikes because they can have very impressive acceleration and top speed capability. This shift to electrics probably won't happen any time soon in Thailand.

On the streets and sidewalks of Bangkok I operate similarly to a motorbike except with a bicycle I have more maneuverability and much more flexibility (even use of MRT/BTS/Buses - try that with a motorbike or try lifting a motorbike from the street to the sidewalk).

Also, I don't reach the ridiculous speeds that can kill or severely injure motorbike operators. I avoid using sidewalks because doing so increases my travel time (but reduces my risk of collision), but when I do use them, I travel slowly and always yield to and avoid pedestrians. I think many of the motorbike operators using sidewalks are try to maintain street speeds when they can.

Gentlemen, I am buying a bicycle tomorrow. Had a look at the Giants website today, DANG! The cheapest model was like 4000 and goes as high as 100,000+ lol.

I'm going to buy me a foldable bicycle and that will be my mode of transportation from now on. The only worry I can think of is, what happens if I don't make it to my destination because of fatigue lol. Not like I can just add fuel and step on the gas. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...